Yes it sounds horrible and it reminds one of a Perv/Pervert or a Privy/Smelly Porta potty.

But here is the real reason this name is damaging:

Android has no privacy that's been proven. Even IF BlackBerry somehow secured it, the name Priv is like a promise to the people that they can expect BBOS or BB10 security on this device.

Problem is that those 2 OS' have certifications. They've earned trust.

Chen is blowing any last goodwill and trust people have in BlackBerry for a stupid name. No privacy should have ever been implied. Sell the phone for the keyboard and for it being great hardware but don't sell it for privacy.

If Android could have been secured it would have by now. And I'm not saying that BlackBerry can't one day find a way to secure this OS but there's no way it's been tested by hackers. There is no way BlackBerry has had the time to make these promises. Especially since most of the talent has been fired.

This thing is going to be attacked by governments and by hackers just for the glory of having breached BlackBerry. Had they never named this thing Priv they could have said "so what every other Android is just as vulnerable".

Now what are they going to do? Play clips of Chen saying to that reporter "Priv is for Privacy"?

I've wanted a Torch replacement / Slider for years now. But I'm not writing this because I'm bitter that the slider isn't BB10. Yes that would have been great to have a "government version" of the slider running BB10. But I was still interested in the slider until this God awful name.

It literally is already a laughing stock because of the name itself and Chen's demo but the worst is yet to come when people find out there isn't more privacy than other Androids. Then it's over.

They had a chance at a comeback with this device but they had to call it Priv and blow it all sky high.

Z30STA100-5 / 10.3.2.2639 / T-Mobile USA
    09-29-15 11:33 AM
    Or maybe they did manage to secure Android enough to make that claim.

MAYBE THEY DIDN'T.

MAYBE THEY DID.

MAYBE.

Can we have the [OPINION] that there?

Honestly, you had me on privy. You lost me on the assumptions.
    09-29-15 11:37 AM
    Or maybe they did manage to secure Android enough to make that claim.

MAYBE THEY DIDN'T.

MAYBE THEY DID.

MAYBE.

Can we have the [OPINION] that there?

Honestly, you had me on privy. You lost me on the assumptions.
    They can't claim it's secured without the government certifications and without the time for hackers to have at it.

Well they can claim it and I guess they did but so did BlackPhone.

They should have held off on the name and the claims until it earned the trust. Just do me a favor. When the hackers breach it come back and tell me I had a point.

If it goes a month without being breached from the date of release I'll admit that BlackBerry is amazing and somehow secured this OS and hardened it and tested it in record time.

I want to be wrong. Like you said time will tell. But I wouldn't want to be the person betting on BlackBerry to not screw this up.

09-29-15 11:44 AM
    They can't claim it's secured without the government certifications and without the time for hackers to have at it.
    And we can't claim they can't do it untill they fail to get the certifications you mentioned.
    09-29-15 12:15 PM
    Stock Android as Google envisions it has no privacy... Nothing a little rooting and modding can't fix... ( I.E. Enter BlackBerry, BlackPhone and others... And truth be told, Google Services are the biggest threat to one's security as it pertains to the Android OS, not so much the OS itself...)

In reality, privacy in general is simply a myth... Where there is a will there is a way... Especially in realms as fickle as technology... BlackBerry, it's very accurate to say, is, in fact, "more secure" than other platforms... The OS is less pliable and not as easily manipulated as some... But is it TRULY, secure? Nope... NOTHING is...

The name, however, is AWFUL... Even IF BlackBerry transforms it into the Fort-FKN-Knox of mobile devices, there is NO way to rightfully justify it as much as BlackBerry is trying to... HaHa...

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by CivilDissident; 09-29-15 at 02:47 PM.
    raremage and thinkinfinity like this.
    09-29-15 12:32 PM
    And we can't claim they can't do it untill they fail to get the certifications you mentioned.
    Using Google Mobile Services is a negotiated allowance for Google to identify you personally and track your behaviour and online activities. That's the opposite of "privacy", no "conjecture" required.

I use some Google services, but if what you're after is full Google Mobile Services capability, you're going to have to give up some privacy, plain and simple. Calling a BB10 version of the Slider the "Priv" and calling an Android version of the Slider the "Wrld" or something that implies "more" would have been sensible, but calling the Android version the "Priv" is ironic. The tech press will make note of this, and undermine the brand. Let the chips fall where they may.
    09-29-15 12:38 PM
    Let the chips fall where they may.
    Is all am I asking people to do.

But alas, assumptions keep on flying.
    09-29-15 12:47 PM
    No privacy should have ever been implied. Sell the phone for the keyboard and for it being great hardware but don't sell it for privacy.
    Using Google Mobile Services is a negotiated allowance for Google to identify you personally and track your behaviour and online activities. That's the opposite of "privacy", no "conjecture" required.
    Thank you! These are exactly my thoughts.
    The Priv offers as much privacy as any other Android device with Google services activated.
    Chens "hands-on" video (well technically he had his hands on the device) was really strange but he was right when he said "it runs Google" because that's what the Priv does.
    thinkinfinity likes this.
    09-29-15 01:52 PM
    Maybe they'll launch it with government certified. We donít know yet until they've finally released it.

Honestly speaking, there's a lot of assumptions happening in Priv's thread. Can't we just wait and see why BlackBerry is so adamant about naming their device as Priv? They sure worked something in it, but I'll still won't buy that motherf*er.
    09-29-15 02:14 PM
    Is all am I asking people to do.

But alas, assumptions keep on flying.
    ...but "Priv" is as apt a name as "Nexus" if you ask me, because a "Nexus" phone carries with it an assumption of what the device software is like, and "Priv" carries with it assumptions that can't reasonably be met by any Android device. Do you assume that the target audience for the "Priv" will a) know that there are things about Android that aren't so good for "privacy" and b) assume that the Priv will be, in a manner worthy of the name, "better"? That's what irks me about the name: it's leading customers to make assumptions about the device that are in a practical sense unrealistic. Don't name your device "Hot Chicks Will Dig You" if it isn't going to make that happen, AND you fancy yourself a reputable company.
    09-29-15 05:05 PM
    Remember it's about privacy not necessarily security.

If I close my curtains I gain privacy,.. but that's hardly any substantial security measure.

I think what BlackBerry will do is make it easier for people to know when they may be vulnerable. This does not mean it will be the most unrootable device ever,.. it just means that, if you're just using the device, it will help YOU protect your information.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by AnimalPak200; 09-29-15 at 06:40 PM.
    09-29-15 05:15 PM
    I really could care less about the name of the device and rather focus on the great features it will have and how the software will work as my daily driver. In the end, that's what going to sell the device to the end user.
    09-29-15 05:54 PM
    I just want to say that I understand nothing is secure or private anymore. But BBOS' have been known to be secure maybe even more than is realistic.

But you have Obama and the German Chancellor using it. And it just has a trust level.

All I'm saying is that the name Priv betrays a public trust. I think a different name would have been better because there wouldn't be this implication that you're "safe" with the BB Android software.

BlackBerry would have been better under promising and over delivering in this case. (in my opinion). And a different name that didn't imply Privacy would have given BlackBerry all the room they needed to not be seen as a joke when the phone is breached.

I don't know if I'm making my point or not.

Bakram, if it were any other name no matter how stupid sounding like the Leap I'd agree with you. And for someone like you who knows what you're buying I see your point. The only reason to be upset at the name is because frustration of BlackBerry screwing themselves.

Everything I'm saying I'm saying in a nice way, not as a troll. Just wish BlackBerry could have taken better advantage of this Android opportunity.

09-29-15 06:29 PM
    I really could care less about the name of the device and rather focus on the great features it will have and how the software will work as my daily driver. In the end, that's what going to sell the device to the end user.
    What are great features? I'm missing something here.

Posted via CB10
    09-29-15 06:41 PM
    What are great features? I'm missing something here.

Posted via CB10
    The OS10 features like the Hub, Calendar and the security and it has the Blackberry name on it.
    09-29-15 06:44 PM
    "Don't name your device "Hot Chicks Will Dig You" if it isn't going to make that happen, AND you fancy yourself a reputable company."
    Line of the day! Good on you sir! Good on you.

Look! It's Zedzilla30!
    09-29-15 06:50 PM
    Well... I think what BlackBerry is trying to say is that ... 'for an Android' this will help you have better control of your privacy.

Of course, a feature phone maker could come out and say... 'hey guys.. NO.. *THIS* protects your privacy better!'

It's like this: I want to improve my privacy controls. I can build a cement bunker with no windows and four-feet thick walls underground in the middle of the desert. That's going to be pretty private, but it will also make me go crazy because it'll be dark, unpleasant, suffocating, and I will die of thirst and starvation because there are no stores around.

So, instead I decide that I would rather have some windows and live in an area with accessible amenities where I can get what I need to live.

Now that I've decided that... I can either put shutters/curtains, some reasonable locks on the doors and perhaps a perimeter sensor that alerts me when someone tries to come in, or I can just leave it mostly open.

With the Priv, BlackBerry is offering the shutters, locks and perimeter sensors... in a house more conveniently located in a desirable neighborhood.

Of course.. .it will never be as private as the cement bunker in the middle of the desert,... but you're more likely to stay in it than the bunker, and thus more likely to reap the privacy control/security benefits of it.
    09-29-15 06:51 PM

But you have Obama and the German Chancellor using it. And it just has a trust level.

Those phones are hardened by their respective security agencies. Not your standard BlackBerry phones.

Truth is you can never be 100% certain even if you got silent os, cyanogen to be protected from snooping. Once you online you online that is the nature and unfortunate reality of our current times.

Posted via CB10
    09-29-15 07:44 PM
    As the OP stated, there is no privacy in Android.

The first time an average user installs or updates one of the more common apps, they will be faced with a permissions screen asking for access to your phone ID, contacts, wi fi connection information, call status and history, etc.

You buy a "privacy" phone and it asks for all that? It's going to make you think you've been misled.
    09-29-15 07:58 PM
    I just want to say that I understand nothing is secure or private anymore. But BBOS' have been known to be secure maybe even more than is realistic.

All I'm saying is that the name Priv betrays a public trust. I think a different name would have been better because there wouldn't be this implication that you're "safe" with the BB Android software.

BlackBerry would have been better under promising and over delivering in this case. (in my opinion). And a different name that didn't imply Privacy would have given BlackBerry all the room they needed to not be seen as a joke when the phone is breached.

I don't know if I'm making my point or not.

Bakram, if it were any other name no matter how stupid sounding like the Leap I'd agree with you. And for someone like you who knows what you're buying I see your point. The only reason to be upset at the name is because frustration of BlackBerry screwing themselves.

Everything I'm saying I'm saying in a nice way, not as a troll. Just wish BlackBerry could have taken better advantage of this Android opportunity.

I do believe we need to stop mentioning Obama's use of a legacy device as a parallel to using a regular BlackBerry.

In fact, that specific narrative points more to BB10's inadequacies
    09-29-15 08:26 PM
    I do believe we need to stop mentioning Obama's use of a legacy device as a parallel to using a regular BlackBerry.

In fact, that specific narrative points more to BB10's inadequacies
    Not only that, but Obama's BlackBerry is said to only be able to connect to a secure base server AND is known to be vested heavily in The Genesis Key's Securvoice software... So Obama (and Merkel as well as she has a similar method of intricate security tactics deployed along side her Berry...) required more than what BlackBerry had to offer

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    Tre Lawrence likes this.
    09-29-15 08:59 PM
    I thought I had heard that the Priv would be capable of running OS 10 as well as Android--not simultaneously, of course, and maybe not even interchangeably, that is, it wouldn't be easy to switch back and forth.

Is there any truth to that, or just wishful thinking?

Posted via CB10
    09-29-15 09:10 PM