I understand, but traditionally CB would be on top of any appearances from BlackBerry execs and the like. Even though it's been well-known that Chen's expected to speak, we haven't seen any reporting lately to reflect that. Not saying it's not on the way, but I'm worried that this is an indication that Bla1ze and Co. are not optimistic about a product reveal today, or even any more juicy details about the Priv outside of what's already known.

Posted via CB10
    To be fair, CB's coverage this year is pretty consistent with their coverage last year. An article ahead of the event, and likely an article to follow. I don't know that we should fault them for not having the same resources as The Verge.
    00stryder likes this.
    10-08-15 11:33 AM
    Now they are on car systems...damn...was hoping for release date info. Ugh.
    Later this year. Once, they've clicked with the carriers

Sent from my Z30 using Tapatalk
    10-08-15 11:33 AM
    Now they are on car systems...damn...was hoping for release date info. Ugh.

Dan Seifert 9:32:24 AM PDT

Chen: Yeah, later this year. We're working with carriers now.

Dan Seifert 9:32:02 AM PDT

Ina: So the phone's coming out later this year?
    Screw the carriers. Put it on Amazon already.
    saxxman and ayngling like this.
    10-08-15 11:34 AM
    Later this year. Once, they've clicked with the carriers

Yeah, nothing new. On any front. What a disappointment.
    10-08-15 11:35 AM
    Chen: High end price, yeah.
    Chen: We'll make the phone financially affordable to get, whether that's by installments or something else.
    high end price...damn it !
    10-08-15 11:35 AM
    Re/code Mobile-img_20151008_123701.png
    Re/code Mobile-img_20151008_123719.png

Posted via CB10
    10-08-15 11:37 AM
    Dan Seifert 9:35:07 AM PDT

Chen: High end price, yeah.

Dan Seifert 9:35:00 AM PDT

Ina: So high end price?
    There you go. Free phone people can keep your phone or look elsewhere.
    10-08-15 11:38 AM
    So the news today....a very expensive phone. Watch the stocks go back down now. Sorry, if most people don't know you are still alive, you aren't gonna sell many $800 phones. I may, but we here are the exception.
    10-08-15 11:38 AM
    So the news today....a very expensive phone. Watch the stocks go back down now. Sorry, if most people don't know you are still alive, you aren't gonna sell many $800 phones. I may, but we here are the exception.
    I believe it will be the people who would go for the Samsung Galaxy or Note crowd who would be interested.
    10-08-15 11:40 AM
    The phone won't sell for more than $500-700. That's my guess.

10-08-15 11:47 AM
    People are forgetting that all these high-end phones are "very affordable" on carrier plans in the US...heck, you can get an iPhone 6s for $5, $10, $15 a month on like Tmobile.

Now as for the outright price...lol

Posted via CB10
    10-08-15 11:47 AM
    Here's to hope when he said high-end he meant Passport high-end.
    10-08-15 11:49 AM
    To be fair, CB's coverage this year is pretty consistent with their coverage last year. An article ahead of the event, and likely an article to follow. I don't know that we should fault them for not having the same resources as The Verge.
    Oh no, certainly not, just my excitement for hear something new getting the better of me.

Posted via CB10
    10-08-15 11:49 AM
    Here's to hope when he meant high-end he meant Passport high-end.
    Pretty sure he's not suggesting that it would be priced any higher than flagship devices from Samsung or Apple.

Posted via CB10
    10-08-15 11:50 AM
    Pretty sure he's not suggesting that it would be priced any higher than flagship devices from Samsung or Apple.

Posted via CB10
    And it should not be. Fight the lesser ones (LG V10, Moto X Pure, Nexus 5X) spec to spec first.
    10-08-15 11:52 AM
    I just read on Twitter about two new BB10 updates, at least that is what it looked like (in 140 characters or less).

Sent from my Passport using Tapatalk
    10-08-15 11:53 AM
    I just read on Twitter about two new BB10 updates, at least that is what it looked like (in 140 characters or less).

Sent from my Passport using Tapatalk
    Chen: We have two new releases of BB10 coming out to support government and high-security space.

Nothing to be excited if you are a consumer
    10-08-15 11:55 AM
    I understand, but traditionally CB would be on top of any appearances from BlackBerry execs and the like. Even though it's been well-known that Chen's expected to speak, we haven't seen any reporting lately to reflect that. Not saying it's not on the way, but I'm worried that this is an indication that Bla1ze and Co. are not optimistic about a product reveal today, or even any more juicy details about the Priv outside of what's already known.

Posted via CB10

Code/Mobile was never the spot to drop any real details, as you see now, everything was minimal. Has nothing to do with my optimism, I just know better having been through these games since 2007. We posted he'd be there, we posted some stuff from the event on Twitter and BBM Channels and we'll follow up when video is available... just as we have with pretty much every Code/Mobile since the events began. There was next to nothing really new said... some interesting points. But that's about it.

Recode: Your costs are going to go up maintaining two platforms. Are you committed to BB10 or will it go away if Android does well?

Chen: We have two new releases of BB10 coming out to support government and high-security space.

Recode: Are there going to be new BB10 devices in a year or two from now?

Chen: Well that's going to be dictated by business choices
    As far as the Priv is concerned, the audience goes beyond enterprises. But it will be focused on high-end privacy and productivity. High-end price, yeah. We'll make the phone financially affordable to get, whether that's by installments or something else.
    I'm doing what I'm doing to take advantage of what the industry has to offer without giving up the security and privacy features BlackBerry is known for. We work with Google, but I can't guarantee anything, maybe that's a dumb thing for me to say, but we think we'll be more resilient than anyone else. We inject a PIN in every chip in every phone, even the Android ones, and our security reaches the entire stack. We've created a patching mechanism that will address attacks a lot quicker than others to protect the customer. There are many safeguards and locks in place, but it's not foolproof 100%, nobody can say that. We're probably the same level as Samsung's Knox. The only other commercial phone that can say they have the same or better than us is maybe the BlackPhone.
    Vampiro, 00stryder and BB-JAM215 like this.
    10-08-15 11:57 AM
    A couple of things that don't fly from that interview.

"We inject a PIN in every chip in every phone, even the Android ones, and our security reaches the entire stack"
    "We're probably the same level as Samsung's Knox."

So why use a pin if it doesn't make it anymore secure than KNOX. If it is at the same level as KNOX, why buy a BlackBerry?

"I love BB10 and I win in the very high-end there. But the very high-end is not big. In order to make money in the handset business, I need to expand that pie."
    "High end price, yeah."

How do you expand the pie when you have replaced high end with high end?

"Are there going to be new BB10 devices in a year or two from now?"
    "Well that's going to be dictated by business choices."

They already made the business choice.
    10-08-15 12:06 PM
    Already announced 10.3.3 and 10.3.4 which are security patches. Nothing new.
    10-08-15 12:07 PM

"We inject a PIN in every chip in every phone, even the Android ones, and our security reaches the entire stack"

So why use a pin if it doesn't make it anymore secure than KNOX. If it is at the same level as KNOX, why buy a BlackBerry?
    I believe that Knox devices also have some kind of chip, so in that regard they are equivalent, although I'd trust BB's implementation better.

"I love BB10 and I win in the very high-end there. But the very high-end is not big. In order to make money in the handset business, I need to expand that pie."
    "High end price, yeah."

How do you expand the pie when you have replaced high end with high end?
    I think they are trying to offer something unique but they don't want to price themselves so low as to not make money. There is no way they are going to try to aggressively price this thing to compete based on price/specs. I don't expect it to be way more than other high-end phones; in fact, I think it's likely to be about the same. There will always be questions as to how it's worth that much in comparison, but it all comes down to BB offering something unique. I expect $699 US for retail. That doesn't mean they won't have some kind of sale or discount like they did with the Passport.

"Are there going to be new BB10 devices in a year or two from now?"
    "Well that's going to be dictated by business choices."

They already made the business choice.
    Yeah, I don't think a new device for BB10 is ever going to happen. Otherwise they'd have made a BB10 version of the Slider too.
    10-08-15 12:30 PM
    Code/Mobile was never the spot to drop any real details, as you see now, everything was minimal. Has nothing to do with my optimism, I just know better having been through these games since 2007. We posted he'd be there, we posted some stuff from the event on Twitter and BBM Channels and we'll follow up when video is available... just as we have with pretty much every Code/Mobile since the events began. There was next to nothing really new said... some interesting points. But that's about it.
    How many of those interesting points.... affected your optimism?

BB10... we know that's pretty much a goner.

Don't like how he talked about a "High-end price" or installments.... say it's a high-end device that will be competitive. Makes me think that crazy Mobilenet.cz $900 price rumor yesterday.... might not have been something to discount so quickly.

Saying your as good a KNOX but not as good a BlackPhone... that just too honest I think.
    10-08-15 12:31 PM
    How many of those interesting points.... affected your optimism?

Saying your as good a KNOX but not as good a BlackPhone... that just too honest I think.
    Exactly why compliment competitor..
    Dunt Dunt Dunt and ayngling like this.
    10-08-15 12:34 PM
    Yeah, I agree. BB is expected to be the best at security in this industry. To say they are at the same level as Knox, and "maybe" less secure than Blackphone isn't exactly a great way to market your device. I think he should have just made a statement that he can't really say for certain if they are more secure or not. Just reiterate how the Priv is secure and not give props to the competition! Suddenly the Priv seems more tarnished.
    Dunt Dunt Dunt and ayngling like this.
    10-08-15 12:40 PM

Maybe because touchwiz sucks, you don't have to pay extra for the experience suite, and capacitive keyboard. At least for me those would be the reasons over a samsung.

Posted via CB10
    10-08-15 12:51 PM
112 12345