Hi all,
    It appears as if it's time to retire our beloved Passports. One by one, the Android apps I depended on are dropping away as far as usability. There are now several Priv's being sold around $400.00, which we believe is the price point to pull the trigger.
    The issues I have:

* The $380- $400 Privs all appear to be ATT branded stock, but with the Lollipop update. What are the drawbacks or negatives to buying an ATT unlocked phone? Is there currently an unbranded Priv for sale at this price point? I am currently on T- Mobile.

* Will I still get the monthly updates from Blackberry without having to do any special tricks like changing sims or sideloading?

* Do we still get full support and warranty through Blackberry?

* Who is currently the most trusted vendor that has the Prive at the +/- $400.00 price point?

* Should we just wait for an "official" price drop from BB and buy through them for piece of mind?

I know there are several questions, but going to Android is a big move for us after 10 years of the great simplicity and intuitiveness of the BB O.S.'s. I'm trying hard to stick with BB and not move on to another brand.
    Thanks!
    05-08-16 08:39 AM
    There are several threads explaining all of these questions already.

Rock'n the Marshmallow boosted Priv!
    05-08-16 10:04 AM
    See below

Hi all,
    It appears as if it's time to retire our beloved Passports. One by one, the Android apps I depended on are dropping away as far as usability. There are now several Priv's being sold around $400.00, which we believe is the price point to pull the trigger.
    The issues I have:
    * The $380- $400 Privs all appear to be ATT branded stock, but with the Lollipop update. What are the drawbacks or negatives to buying an ATT unlocked phone? Is there currently an unbranded Priv for sale at this price point? I am currently on T- Mobile.
    Hardware is completely identical with the SBB, save for the variant code which forces you on AT&T's schedule. In addition it automatically loads AT&T's bloatware.
    * Will I still get the monthly updates from Blackberry without having to do any special tricks like changing sims or sideloading?
    Based on forum responses around here, no. Seems like the only last resort if you cannot access an active AT&T SIM is to use the autoloaders, which will wipe your phone.
    * Do we still get full support and warranty through Blackberry?
    Originally posted by DailySteals, saying you do get 1 year from BlackBerry.
    * Who is currently the most trusted vendor that has the Prive at the +/- $400.00 price point?
    I have a feeling they are all dropshippers from the same wholesale liquidator, with the units supplied by BlackBerry themselves. Otherwise they wouldn't make the 1 year BlackBerry support claim.
    * Should we just wait for an "official" price drop from BB and buy through them for piece of mind?
    It already occurred, MSRP went down from 699 to 649. Current best deal for a factory unlocked is $564 from Amazon sold by Amazon (not the third party resellers.)
    I know there are several questions, but going to Android is a big move for us after 10 years of the great simplicity and intuitiveness of the BB O.S.'s. I'm trying hard to stick with BB and not move on to another brand.
    Thanks!
    05-08-16 10:06 AM
    If you're not an AT&T customer (and have no intention to become one) -- not an MVNO, a real AT&T customer -- then I would pay the extra $100 or so and get the "real deal."

You're giving up direct updates, probably forever, if you buy a carrier-branded device, unlocked or not. Until the US DOJ goes after the carriers on this as an extension of the same litigation that forced them to issue unlock codes (which, I remind you, they used to frequently refuse to do even for fully-paid devices) on the premise that such is an act of illegal tying this issue will remain. Protecting margins through various attempts to force purchases (rather than competing with better price, service, coverage, etc) is part and parcel of a huge part of American business today for better or worse, despite the body of law (15 USC) that says this is generally an illegal practice.

Some day we'll actually have competition in the wireless space in the United States instead of carriers all seeking to find ways to screw you in some fashion that is facially a violation of 100+ year old law, but they hope is subtle enough that nobody comes after them. For the last 30ish years this has been a pretty good business strategy; Microsoft and IBM drew a lot of attention for attempted ties (which are subject to a "rule of reason" test -- but are generally illegal as the law is written) but few other firms have been, and in fact the entire US medical and health "insurance" industry exists today ONLY because of these "features" -- and that's close to 20% of the US economy!
    Uzi likes this.
    05-08-16 10:45 AM
    Thanks for the helpful responses. I believe it will help others as well to get all the answers in one place. I was going to pull the trigger tomorrow, but now I will probably wait to get unbranded phones. Updates are and I also don't want to wipe phones every time there is a major update. Thanks!

Posted via CB10
    05-08-16 12:02 PM