Dropped my Z30 in toilet (carrying it in back pocket, stupidly)
    The phoneclaim chat rep has offered me a Priv as replacement (with a $149 coPay)
    because VZN has discontinued Z30 availability.
    questions:
    1.)I know I will probably have a very different BB experience with a Priv vs a Z30 (am I correct assuming that?
    and
    2.) will the differences be better and tolerable for a hardcore BB fan, or will I be unhappy with it?

I do like the availlbility of android apps, but as a decodes long BB user, I still want the rest of the usual BB OS experience ...
    3.) will that (BB OS experience I am used to and love still be there in the Priv?

I am thinking this( replacement with Priv for $149 copay) is a good deal since the Priv sells for much more_(? )
    4.) opinions, please before I pull the trigger?
    10-16-16 08:07 PM
    Dropped my Z30 in toilet (carrying it in back pocket, stupidly)
    The phoneclaim chat rep has offered me a Priv as replacement (with a $149 coPay)
    because VZN has discontinued Z30 availability.
    questions:
    1.)I know I will probably have a very different BB experience with a Priv vs a Z30 (am I correct assuming that?
    and
    2.) will the differences be better and tolerable for a hardcore BB fan, or will I be unhappy with it?

I do like the availlbility of android apps, but as a decodes long BB user, I still want the rest of the usual BB OS experience ...
    3.) will that (BB OS experience I am used to and love still be there in the Priv?

I am thinking this( replacement with Priv for $149 copay) is a good deal since the Priv sells for much more_(? )
    4.) opinions, please before I pull the trigger?
    You will definitely need some adjustment but it is really not that hard. The HUB has really progressed since it was first released and will give you a pretty fine replica of the Z30 and hub. You will have to get use to the fact the the smooth swiping actions are not fully there in Android. Obviously, you will have a wide range of App options that were not available on the Z30, but if you did use Android apps, if you use the same Google ID (email), then the apps will be available for the Priv. What the Priv does not have are a native File Manager (Solid and Asus are pretty good), nor a Music Player, picture viewer or video player, although there are kind of Google versions but they may want to share you files with the world.

One other warning - Verizon for whatever reason has stopped or stalled in issuing Security Updates for the Priv and also has not released the Marshmallow OS that every other Carrier in the world or almost every carrier has released. BB has issued monthly security updates and MM for the Priv. So Verizon is holding things up. A number of us have filed complaints with the FCC regarding this and all kinds of excuses have been issued.

If that is important to you, you might want to see what other devices they would provide although in other cases Verizon is still slow or non-compliant with upgrades.

Back to the Priv - I have grown to really like it. And then there's the physical keyboard which works like a mouse or trackpad as well as a keyboard and a shortcut method to open apps or go to TOP (t) or Bottom (b) type of functions.
    rotorwrench likes this.
    10-16-16 08:50 PM
    I had a similar experience in that I damaged one of my phones and had to use my reserve Z30 I had bought on special for backup, because if BB didn't release a new BB10 phone, I refused to go Android.

Because of the accident, I no longer had a reserve BB and I wanted to replace that. I went to the VZW store to look at getting another Classic for work but saw the Priv on display next to it and curiosity got the best of me. I picked it up and started playing around with it, using the pkb, checking out apps, doing test emails and texts, taking photos etc. I have to admit I was impressed with the quality and build, the beautiful screen and the sharpness and detail of the camera. I have an Asus tablet so have a little android experience, but not much, as my PB is still my primary tablet.

I started reading the threads here, asked some experience questions as you have (do a search, there are several threads relating to your question) , went back to VZW several times demoing the Priv and finally bit the bullet and got one.

The point of the above experience is to convey that I more or less originally had no interest or desire to try an android phone, being a diehard BB user for well more than a decade, and even have previously posted the folly of an BB/android phone, vowing to never go down that dark road lol, but here I am, eating crow.

After 2 months of Priv use I can say that coming from 2+ years of Z30 use, the transition was not that bad. The Hub experience is not as fluid or well integrated as a BB10 phone but I am surprised at how well it does work and how quickly I adapted. It does continue to improve. I have 6 email accounts, 3 work related and 3 personal and the phone is handling the organization and handling quite well, not to mention SMS and Skype accounts. Communication, scheduling and organization are my primary concerns and so far the Priv is serving my needs.

The pkb is what I am drawn to most. I have been using pkb BB'S until the Z30 and while loving my Z30, the Priv blends the best of both worlds for me, with the exception of BB10 of course. If you don't care for or have no interest in a pkb, then that feature is obviously of no use for you, but in my opinion, the use of the pkb gestures, shortcuts, cursor and limited mouse use are definitely worth exploring. Very efficient functions for me, especially when editing , copying and pasting.

Physically the handling is a little different. The Priv being a little wider but it is actually a little thinner, even with the slider. I vacillate between naked and a half shell, which does make it handle better in my opinion, but I also like the feel of it case free. I have no issue with the handling.

Android requires an app for almost everything ,especially what we have come to expect as native on BBOS phones. Here is the major trade-off for me. There are pros and cons but definitely workable in my opinion. I have been pleased to have available other apps not accessible to me previously.

Another plus for me, as mentioned earlier, is the camera. It really puts my Z30 camera to shame. Amazing detail, especially in closeups, and color accuracy has been surprisingly good as well.

My battery life now equals and sometimes exceeds my Z30 battery life, but it required a little experimenting and tweaking, namely using black themes and disabling some apps. I usually plug in the charger each night around 23:00 with an average of 40 % battery life left after a fairly active phone day.

I think the most time consuming part of switching to a Priv is deciding on which apps to use for your primary needs, like file managers, photo apps, text and document clients, backup and storage etc.

It obviously would be best if you could actually handle and spend some time demoing a Priv in a carrier store, even if it isn't your carrier.

Not the best review or advice from me with my shotgun ramblings but if nothing else, what you may get from this is a dedicated long time BB user finding it rather easy to adapt to the Priv and finding that it meets my needs in a better fashion than expected. No, it's not in the class of BB10 by any stretch but it is a good phone and BB has done a good job with the design and quality, as well as getting some BB feel and functionality into it. I tried several other android phones and kept coming back to the Priv. I wouldn't have gone with android if BB hadn't been involved.

I'm sure you'll get more and better responses but maybe this will help a little. Good luck in your decision but coming from a Z30, I think you'd find the Priv the best alternative of what's currently available, apparently being the last BB in-house designed phone.

"If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong"
    FF22 likes this.
    10-16-16 10:03 PM
    Verizon is offering the Priv for $99 on 2 yr. contract. Look into it.
    FF22 likes this.
    10-16-16 10:12 PM
    I went from a z30 to a priv. Battery is comparable. Once you find the right app to do certain things it's not too bad even though it's not baked in. If you are on Verizon, the message + app isn't bad for messaging. It actually works pretty good. I use piktures for photos and disabled Google photos. Yaata wasn't a bad messaging app either but had to stop using it because it wouldn't let me send videos. I use talon for twitter. I suggest that if you want an app, pay for it and keep the ads out . I look for the least intrusive apps I can find as well. All the cloud stuff is turned off as well. I don't let Google back up anything either. If you like BlackBerry blend, airdroid is a good replacement. Also supposed to be able to back up your phone to your pc but I haven't gotten into that yet. All in all I think you will like the priv once you get it set up. As far as the hub goes it ain't bad but it ain't bb10 either. People miss the peek function with bb10 but they don't utilize the productivity tab. If you slide that over it let's you look at unread messages from wherever you are. As long as you don't actually go into the hub, you can go right back to what you were doing. If you click the contact tab from the productivity tab it will pull up your favorite contacts and allow you are call them or text right from there. BlackBerry has really done a good job with android. I used android prior to bb10 and this is by far the best android experience I've had. The vkb is just as good as bb10 and I really like the pkb too. If you don't get one of those creaky heaters people on here complain about I think you will find its a great phone
    FF22 likes this.
    10-16-16 11:59 PM
    Deleted quoted post
    Last edited by medic22003; 10-17-16 at 04:34 PM.
    10-17-16 12:07 AM
    Did not mean to quote myself there lol
    FF22 likes this.
    10-17-16 12:08 AM
    Did not mean to quote myself there lol
    You can delete your own messages - hit the EDIT button and then see the various buttons and checkoffs for DELETE!
    10-17-16 09:25 AM
    OP I went from a Z30 to a Priv back in May. At the time I was running on Lollipop for a few days before they rolled out Marshmallow. What I can tell you is that the experience of the Priv from Lollipop to Marshmallow was night and day. After upgrading I had more features and less heating issues with the phone. Battery life improved significantly as well.

I still to this day feel that BlackBerry 10 is a much more fluid OS experience however, the Priv does a fantastic job of bridging the gap via BlackBerry software integration and the abundant number of Android apps available. The only thing I miss now from my Z30 days is the size, 5 inch display phones are a perfect size IMO and those amazing speakers. The Priv speaker is pretty good but it ain't no Z30 master blaster!

Posted via the PrivZilla!
    FF22 likes this.
    10-17-16 12:32 PM
    I got my Priv this morning. Currently on Z30 now and really do love it. I think the determining factors are if I can live without Blend and how good the android versions of the Hub is. If I don't like it, I think I'll be sending it back

9800, 9810, Z10, Z30 STA 100-5 10.3.2.2474
    10-17-16 12:44 PM
    I got my Priv this morning. Currently on Z30 now and really do love it. I think the determining factors are if I can live without Blend and how good the android versions of the Hub is. If I don't like it, I think I'll be sending it back

Well, this might be an extreme example but I still use Blend. I have my Z30 on wifi and it still links to Blend. So, all of my email alerts and contents as well as BBM chats, contacts and calendar still show up on my Win7 desktop and Win10 laptop. Just half hour ago, I entered a doctor's appt on my computer using Blend. It will sync to the Priv and already has. (Blend stopped working on my Samsung Tablet and others report the same). But the Priv is my primary phone for all other purposes. As a matter of fact, just this past Saturday I had to take the Z30 in for a new battery (the old one was swelling and bulging badly). I decided the $55 cost was worth it to keep Blend working as long as possible. (although, I'm so addicted to Blend, that I fired up the Z10 and connected it for a day).

Last month when recovering from surgery, I took the Z30 to my friend's house so that Blend would continue working on the Win10 laptop.

Now, again, this might not be the ideal situation but it works so far. Oh, yes, for BBM, I did have to create a new bbid for the Priv for the chats I was in - so both the Priv and Z30 (Blend) get the same chats.
    10-17-16 01:50 PM

Get airdroid and it can do what blend does and more. Gotta pay for it though. At least for some features. Runs about 20 a year if you want all the features
    10-17-16 04:37 PM
    Well, this might be an extreme example but I still use Blend. I have my Z30 on wifi and it still links to Blend. So, all of my email alerts and contents as well as BBM chats, contacts and calendar still show up on my Win7 desktop and Win10 laptop. Just half hour ago, I entered a doctor's appt on my computer using Blend. It will sync to the Priv and already has. (Blend stopped working on my Samsung Tablet and others report the same). But the Priv is my primary phone for all other purposes. As a matter of fact, just this past Saturday I had to take the Z30 in for a new battery (the old one was swelling and bulging badly). I decided the $55 cost was worth it to keep Blend working as long as possible. (although, I'm so addicted to Blend, that I fired up the Z10 and connected it for a day).

Last month when recovering from surgery, I took the Z30 to my friend's house so that Blend would continue working on the Win10 laptop.

Now, again, this might not be the ideal situation but it works so far. Oh, yes, for BBM, I did have to create a new bbid for the Priv for the chats I was in - so both the Priv and Z30 (Blend) get the same chats.
    Not to hi-jack this thread, but do you have a sim card in your Z30?
    10-17-16 05:39 PM
    Get airdroid and it can do what blend does and more. Gotta pay for it though. At least for some features. Runs about 20 a year if you want all the features
    Others might have better luck but I tried Airdroid, hoping it would work as well as Blend but my experience has not been impressive. Once I downloaded the PC client, my antivirus alert kept coming up every 2 or 3 minutes saying Airdroid was trying to access multiple services that were not required for it's function. After my first file transfer it stopped and said network transfer was unavailable and tried to force me to use Web transfer, which I always avoid. It wasn't a signal issue because I had full bars on PC and Priv. It is also a little laggy and I found in an android forum that I needed to delete and reload it. The problem was it wouldn't stop running so I had to kill it before deleting. After the reload it was no different.

I went back and read a number of reviews in PlayStore and wished I had done that previously. Apparently my problems are not uncommon. I deleted it. I find Blend more fluid and stable and much more intuitive to use. Others may have better luck and that's great, I really wish it had worked for me, but apparently I'm not the only one that's had issues with Airdroid.

"If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong"
    10-17-16 06:45 PM
    Not to hi-jack this thread, but do you have a sim card in your Z30?
    Yes, I do. Although I did remove it the other day for the Battery replacement/repair job. Does that matter? Actually, now that I think about it, the sim card and sd-card were both removed the night before and I was still "Blending" the next morning for about 3 hours.

I guess I could remove it again if you need something tested???
    10-17-16 07:19 PM
    Yes, I do. Although I did remove it the other day for the Battery replacement/repair job. Does that matter? Actually, now that I think about it, the sim card and sd-card were both removed the night before and I was still "Blending" the next morning for about 3 hours.

I guess I could remove it again if you need something tested???
    Just wondering how to get SMS texts on Blend if you don't have a sim card in the phone. That's all
    10-17-16 08:50 PM
    Just wondering how to get SMS texts on Blend if you don't have a sim card in the phone. That's all
    Ah, you have a point there, I guess. I rarely do texts and so did not think about it.
    10-17-16 09:10 PM