I usually don't use any cloud services or backups since I have multiple devices and keep them pretty much synced. Might be some paranoia lol.

Anyway, I hooked up the Priv to my PC and if I go to ->photos ->device folders, the camera is first, then messenger, beam, download, BBM, etc.

I have about 250 pictures just in the Camera, but for some reason when I opened with the PC, only about 200 showed up to drag into a folder. I may retry, but my question is for those that do use the cloud backup, does it backup every picture and video? I also have a "pictures" folder with about 500 pictures.

Any help or suggestions would be great. Really do not want to use the cloud if it is not going to backup everything in the device folders... and I have to then figure out how to get everything on my Passport lol.

Would be much more comfortable having everything on my spare Android as I now have important pictures and videos that I cannot lose!

Thanks again :-)

Will check back in a few!

Edit: Just to be clear, I'm not worried about contacts, calendar, or anything else. Just on the stock Priv when you press the photos icon then device folders (will the cloud backup all of the folders?)

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    05-16-16 10:44 AM
    Not familiar with RE Cloud.

I use OneDrive, and it does backup all pictures that I have taken. And if I download pictures or create new folders with additional pictures... it will ask to add those new locations to it's download.

Now I first used DropBox, but I only had a 7GB account and often it would stop syncing pictures due to storage capacity.

Now if you are just using the stock cloud storage... that would be Google Drive. You should have 15GB of storage with it, so you shold still be good. Try loging into your Google Drive if that is what you are using and check it to see.
    05-16-16 11:06 AM
    Thanks for the info! Will look at OneDrive... some are pictures that I dropped in from an old Passport and others from my yahoo account and messenger photos, I'd just hit save and they created their own folder.

When hooked up to the laptop, there was a lot missing, even from the camera folder. Not fond of using a cloud service and really don't want to be spending my entire day off trying to get everything synced on my devices tomorrow!

I did go into certain folders and I can move everything into one folder, but not sure if I do that if everything would show up on the laptop in that folder anyway.

Really appreciate the help! Already spent a few hours last week dragging and dropping just to realize I was missing a bunch. Thanks :-)

Another Edit: Oh how I miss BlackBerry 10 file manager. Never had a problem with this using the laptop.

05-16-16 11:29 AM
    Just connected both the Priv and the S7 to the PC and for some reason my 240+ camera album is showing there's only 70...

While the S7 is dead on with Camera, Download, Editor.

Could use NFC to Beam everything to the S7 (probably over 1,000 pics/vids) then just drop from the S7 to the laptop and add to my Passport.

Not understanding what the problem is with the Priv. I've tried every option to get into the device storage. BBM shows 2 pictures on the laptop, but on the actual phone there are 7 pictures in the BBM folder.

I've tried every charging transfer option as well.

05-16-16 11:47 AM
    You can look into Dropbox. It will allow you to upload pics onto your Dropbox account.
    05-16-16 12:14 PM
    Are Dropbox, Onenote, and Google Drive essentially the same? I would have pictures, videos, and a few pdf docs. Would like to be able to separate them in folders. Never used any of these.

I've come to the conclusion after messing around with the Priv and laptop that I'm going to have to either use a cloud type service like mentioned above or sit there for hours and use Android Beam to the S7 then drag to PC (no cloud involvement and everything is where I want)... can drag and drop into any of my BB10s.

If I use any of the above listed services will I be able to keep a copy of everything on the laptop? I'm going to assume none of these services or even Android Beam if I go that route, would resize the pictures.

As I wrote, there are a few very important photos and 2 very sentimental ones that I do not want resized.

Sorry so many questions. This just wasn't difficult when I was switching between my BB10s, but now I have much more on the Priv that needs to be saved. Would really appreciate any help. I know it's a PITA to read through these posts. Thanks again!

05-16-16 02:02 PM
    I usually don't use any cloud services or backups since I have multiple devices and keep them pretty much synced. Might be some paranoia lol.

Anyway, I hooked up the Priv to my PC and if I go to ->photos ->device folders, the camera is first, then messenger, beam, download, BBM, etc.

I have about 250 pictures just in the Camera, but for some reason when I opened with the PC, only about 200 showed up to drag into a folder. I may retry, but my question is for those that do use the cloud backup, does it backup every picture and video? I also have a "pictures" folder with about 500 pictures.

Any help or suggestions would be great. Really do not want to use the cloud if it is not going to backup everything in the device folders... and I have to then figure out how to get everything on my Passport lol.

Would be much more comfortable having everything on my spare Android as I now have important pictures and videos that I cannot lose!

Thanks again :-)

Will check back in a few!

Edit: Just to be clear, I'm not worried about contacts, calendar, or anything else. Just on the stock Priv when you press the photos icon then device folders (will the cloud backup all of the folders?)

Just one word of warning, unless you purchase "extra" service from Google for storage, they "compress" (change resolution) photos stored on the free account. I don't know how much they suffer loss.
    05-16-16 02:05 PM
    Just one word of warning, unless you purchase "extra" service from Google for storage, they "compress" (change resolution) photos stored on the free account. I don't know how much they suffer loss.
    Just looked into the Google Photos sync settings and it looks like if you allow it to reduce file size, then the backup storage is unlimited.
    If you leave it at full quality, it counts against the Google Account storage quota.
    I'm not sure what the quality reduction is either. I'm tinfoil hat when it comes to cloud backup of pics and videos.

FF22 likes this.
    05-16-16 03:29 PM
    Just looked into the Google Photos sync settings and it looks like if you allow it to reduce file size, then the backup storage is unlimited.
    If you leave it at full quality, it counts against the Google Account storage quota.
    I'm not sure what the quality reduction is either. I'm tinfoil hat when it comes to cloud backup of pics and videos.

I have not gone Cloud for my photos or videos either. Nothing X-rated but I don't need to see my photos published under some phony "you shared to our cloud and we can do anything" motto!
    05-16-16 03:45 PM
    So Google Drive does or doesn't resize the pictures? Seems like it is an option from the two different replies.

Think I'm just going to have to use Android Beam and move them all to the S7 then to the desktop. This is going to be an all day project :-(

It makes no sense to me why the Priv is only showing 70 photos just in the Camera with over 200 on the device (when hooked up to the laptop). Ahhhh.

Thanks for the additional feedback though!

05-16-16 06:27 PM
    So Google Drive does or doesn't resize the pictures? Seems like it is an option from the two different replies.

Think I'm just going to have to use Android Beam and move them all to the S7 then to the desktop. This is going to be an all day project :-(

It makes no sense to me why the Priv is only showing 70 photos just in the Camera with over 200 on the device (when hooked up to the laptop). Ahhhh.

Thanks for the additional feedback though!

Yes here are the options from Google Photos:

Attached Thumbnails Question RE Cloud Backup (Pics/Vids)-screenshot_20160516-211336-2.jpg  
    FF22 likes this.
    05-16-16 08:15 PM
    Yes here are the options from Google Photos:

I am anti-cloud, but my choice is to put everything on original quality to Google Drive or NFC everything to the S7 then move to desktop and sort (hours and hours).

If I use Google Drive, can I just backup what I need to Google Drive then drag it to the laptop and erase from Google Drive and turn off?

Edit: Thank you!

05-16-16 08:27 PM
    OP USB OTG? Move it USB stick and put in laptop or keep in the stick
    05-16-16 09:09 PM
    Have never done that, but have a USB stick, not sure what else I would need?

It's strange that when I try to access my camera pics they are on the phone, but less than half show up on the laptop.

So frustrated :-(

05-16-16 09:17 PM
    I might have something. I used this to hook up a mouse to a Z30 with HDMI to retrieve passwords from a dead screen.

Just plug this into the phone. Can't hurt to try, I think lol... just took a picture below.

Attached Thumbnails Question RE Cloud Backup (Pics/Vids)-22741.jpg  
    05-16-16 09:27 PM
    I might have something. I used this to hook up a mouse to a Z30 with HDMI to retrieve passwords from a dead screen.

Just plug this into the phone. Can't hurt to try, I think lol... just took a picture below.

But you need an app for USB OTG I never use it but I read people using solid Explorer
    05-16-16 09:29 PM
    But you need an app for USB OTG I never use it but I read people using solid Explorer
    OMG you might have been a life saver if this works. I plugged it in and nothing happened lol.

Guess I need to find an app now!

Uzi likes this.
    05-16-16 09:32 PM
    Download solid Explorer file manager and download the USB OTG plug in if I recall correctly
    05-16-16 09:40 PM
    Just deleted my post as we posted almost the same time. Thank you!!! Will give this a shot. Fingers crossed.
    05-16-16 09:40 PM
    Download solid Explorer file manager and download the USB OTG plug in if I recall correctly
    Are they two different apps?

Edit: Searched for Explorer File Manager and the first three are "ES File Explorer File Manager", "Solid Explorer File Manager" , and "X-plore File Manager"

Have no idea how to download the plug in or which file manager to download.

(Really missing BB10, looking forward to popping my SIM card in the Passport!)
    05-16-16 09:42 PM

Yup like add-on for solid explorer
    05-16-16 09:46 PM

Edit: Searched for Explorer File Manager and the first three are "ES File Explorer File Manager", "Solid Explorer File Manager" , and "X-plore File Manager"

Have no idea how to download the plug in or which file manager to download.

(Really missing BB10, looking forward to popping my SIM card in the Passport!)
    I downloaded the pay-version of solid explorer the other day. I just found out about the OTG add-on. It is yet another pay-version but decided to blow another 99 Cents. It works. I just played some Bach stored on my thumbdrive plugged into the Priv.

Some folks are concerned about ES File Explorer and its developer and data privacy. I deleted it the other day. I don't know if the discussions are true but "better safe than sorry."

While not directly related to my answer above, I used an OTG cable with my Samsung Tab S last summer on a three week trip to Paris and the French alps. I was able to hook up my Canon camera to the Tab S and copy my photos daily for backup (safety). Then I would use the OTG cable and copy them once more to a thumbdrive. Double backups. I also backed up my daily shots with my Z30's camera to the Tab S (using a wifi app) and then to the thumbdrive, too. Can't be too careful with photos from a once in a lifetime adventure.
    05-17-16 09:26 AM
    I downloaded the pay-version of solid explorer the other day. I just found out about the OTG add-on. It is yet another pay-version but decided to blow another 99 Cents. It works. I just played some Bach stored on my thumbdrive plugged into the Priv.

Some folks are concerned about ES File Explorer and its developer and data privacy. I deleted it the other day. I don't know if the discussions are true but "better safe than sorry."
    All good op bbm me ,he successful transfer his pic
    FF22 likes this.
    05-17-16 09:31 AM
    I prefer using OwnCloud and/or DAVdroid for fine detailing my storage needs... Excellently pliable options that cater to my style...

Posted via CB10
    05-17-16 09:39 AM