I am a long time BlackBerry user since 2006 starting with a 7130c and have had every BlackBerry device over the years except for the Torch. I've had my Priv since launch in November 2015. Other than transitioning from BBOS to Android I have been very pleased with the Priv.

I am struggling over the decision whether to move over to the KEYone. So for those who had a Priv for a period of time and moved to a KEYone are you glad you did? What is the upside of the KEYone over the Priv other than having a current model? To date I am very happy with the Priv, it has performed well, and does want I need from a smartphone... what are the benefits of moving to a KEYone from the Priv?

Thanks in advance for your replies.

Bob
    skinnymike1 likes this.
    06-26-17 09:28 AM
    I had and returned my KEYone.

It's a fantastic device and I did prefer the keyboard and battery life compared to the PRIV but performance wise it was not a big enough difference to justify the cost. I was also a bit concerned on having a 'first batch' unit with the concerns raised by other early K1 owners. I'll give it a little time to be resolved and wait for a price somewhere between $399-$450 before I jump again.
    06-26-17 11:03 AM
    I had and returned my KEYone.

It's a fantastic device and I did prefer the keyboard and battery life compared to the PRIV but performance wise it was not a big enough difference to justify the cost. I was also a bit concerned on having a 'first batch' unit with the concerns raised by other early K1 owners. I'll give it a little time to be resolved and wait for a price somewhere between $399-$450 before I jump again.
    Thanks for that... I do understand the battery life is better than the Priv but I'm not displeased with my current battery life. I've read about some of the issues the early batches have been experiencing and honestly it does put me off from getting one at this time. Hopefully these issues will get resolved.

As much as I would like to get a KEYone I'm just not ready to invest $549.00 on a device that has had a few issues and doesn't appear to be a significant upgrade from my Priv.

I guess I will hang tight and see how things go with ironing out the issues that have been reported and who knows maybe the price will drop... they always seem to... 😁

Bob
    jfalkingham likes this.
    06-26-17 12:21 PM
    Thanks for that... I do understand the battery life is better than the Priv but I'm not displeased with my current battery life. I've read about some of the issues the early batches have been experiencing and honestly it does put me off from getting one at this time. Hopefully these issues will get resolved.

As much as I would like to get a KEYone I'm just not ready to invest $549.00 on a device that has had a few issues and doesn't appear to be a significant upgrade from my Priv.

I guess I will hang tight and see how things go with ironing out the issues that have been reported and who knows maybe the price will drop... they always seem to...

Bob
    There is always a cost to be first

But when a new PRIV can be had for under $250 it doesn't seem like a fit.
    skinnymike1 likes this.
    06-26-17 12:41 PM
    I think you will like K1. I used to have a passport, then I bought the priv, now I have K1. My priority is the pkb. While the pkb on the passport is fantastic, it is very small and bad on the priv. On the K1 its kinda optimal. not as good as in the passport but way better than the priv. Battery is fantastic (priv is like an iphone). it has nougat, it does not get as warm as the priv, the device itself is more solid. So do not hesitate go for the K1. And yes, there is a price...
    FF22 likes this.
    06-26-17 05:25 PM
    still guess I'm going to have to try s k1 some day to see if the pkb is that much better than the priv. I'm cool with the priv pkb. use it all the time and like it fine
    Maiska and skinnymike1 like this.
    06-26-17 06:33 PM
    I find the KEYone much smoother than the Priv, and much cooler. The keyboard is superior to the Priv physical keyboard.
    daynebca likes this.
    06-26-17 06:38 PM
    I own and use both the BlackBerry PRIV and KEYone; the BlackBerry PRIV since launch in 2015. I like the BlackBerry PRIV but the always ready physical keyboard of the BlackBerry KEYone is like my relatively ancient BlackBerry Bold 9700. The latest BlackBerry smartphone feels like an old friend.
    NightFire and skinnymike1 like this.
    06-26-17 06:43 PM
    I own and use both the BlackBerry PRIV and KEYone; the BlackBerry PRIV since launch in 2015. I like the BlackBerry PRIV but the always ready physical keyboard of the BlackBerry KEYone is like my relatively ancient BlackBerry Bold 9700. The latest BlackBerry smartphone feels like an old friend.
    As a BlackBerry PKB user since acquiring a 7130c I fully understand your comment that the PKB is always ready. Not that it's all that much of an issue accessing the PKB on the Priv. I have read posts from long time BlackBerry users that had a Priv the PKB is much better. I only wish there was the ability to physically handle one before purchasing.

Thanks to you and the others who have responded.

Bob
    andy957 likes this.
    06-26-17 06:53 PM
    I love my KeyOne. I had almost 12 hours SOT at last charge. It doesn't have the AMOLED screen, but then again, it is brighter in the sunlight. The display doesn't dim quite as much as I desire, but there are blue light filters (I use one with a more natural gray tint) and I have blue light filter prescription lenses that I wear.

The keyboard is one of the best that I have used. I found the Priv a bit cramped and I have small hands.

I realize there has been negative press regarding screen lifting. Knock on wood, I have not encountered this issue and hope I do not. There is some slight unevenness of lighting around my 'b' and 'v' keys, but all my BlackBerry smartphones with pkb have this to some degree. The phone feels very sturdy and I feel the photos don't quite do it justice.

My KeyOne doesn't get hot like my Priv did at times. I have no need to shut off adaptive brightness to prevent battery drain.

I use Smart Launcher 3 to have some of the gestures that I miss from BB10 (use it on my Priv, too). And I recently discovered Keyboard Browser, which is a fair representation of the BB10 browser.

If there is anything more you wish to know, please, let me know. I'd be delighted to help.
    andy957 likes this.
    06-27-17 03:44 AM
    I'm very happy to hear all the positive comments regarding the PKB... 👍 I am a heavy user typing out emails and text messages on various platforms. Being a long time BlackBerry user and more comfortable using a PKB this is very important to me.

Battery life is also of importance as it is with any device... glad to hear the positive comments regarding that as well.

Undoubtedly I will pick up a KEYone in the future however I will most likely wait for a later production run as the screen issue that has been reported is very much a concern for me.

Thanks again for the responses!!!

Bob
    skinnymike1 likes this.
    06-27-17 11:12 AM
    I went from the Priv to a dtek60 , and now on a KEYone. So much more faster, "snappier" on the KEYone. I'm not a gamer which I'm sure the DTEK 60 and prov are better with given the larger screen. Keyboard on the KEYone is way better than the Priv. Camera on KEYone is superior to both my previous devices. Build quality is just as good if not better than the Priv and way better than the DTEK 60. I always felt the the DTEK was fragile being all glass
    06-27-17 11:19 AM
    Loved my Priv but very happy with the move to KeyOne.

Easier to handle with one hand. Battery life. Keyboard shortcuts. Battery life. Return of the convenience key. Did I mention battery life?
    NightFire likes this.
    06-27-17 11:37 AM
    There's not "issues" (i.e. screen popping off) with the first batch. No more than any phone has a few defective ones in their run. Yes, IPhone and Samsung have a few as well.
    06-27-17 11:39 AM
    I am in the same position as you OP. I loved the Classic and Bold 9900 and would love the KEYone. Will wait for the price to go down. hard to justify replacing my gorgeous Priv. And I use the PKB a lot. I guess I was one of the lucky ones who got the good Priv with good battery life, minimal heating, no creaks, non mushy keyboard and just a great phone all around.
    jfalkingham and andy957 like this.
    06-27-17 11:03 PM
    I have no complaints with my Priv as well and I've had it since launch November 2015. I did have to do a factory reset in January because of a grayed out Software Update Screen but it's been working fine since then. Never had an issue with the build quality or the heat issue either.

I will more than likely hold off for a while longer before picking up a KEYone. As much as I would love to have a new device I can't justify it at this time.

Bob
    vincentkong likes this.
    06-28-17 12:57 PM
    Does the key one have pointer mode and is it any good?
    06-28-17 01:18 PM
    There's not "issues" (i.e. screen popping off) with the first batch. No more than any phone has a few defective ones in their run. Yes, IPhone and Samsung have a few as well.
    I've been following the threads in the KEYone Forum regarding the screen issue and despite what you say there are most definitely more than a "few" instances of this happening. There has been an acknowledgement by TCL of this issue but nothing more from them than that.

Yes, they will replace a defective KEYone if this issue should happen but I certainly won't spend the money on a device with a known issue and then have to go through the warranty replacement process.

Bob
    jfalkingham and FF22 like this.
    06-28-17 06:16 PM
    I've been following the threads in the KEYone Forum regarding the screen issue and despite what you say there are most definitely more than a "few" instances of this happening. There has been an acknowledgement by TCL of this issue but nothing more from them than that.

Yes, they will replace a defective KEYone if this issue should happen but I certainly won't spend the money on a device with a known issue and then have to go through the warranty replacement process.

Bob
    Never said there weren't "any" but no more than other models. A certain batch of almost any electronics has defects.
    06-28-17 07:28 PM
    Never said there weren't "any" but no more than other models.
    True... but you originally said there were only a "few" KEYones that were having issues with the screen coming detached. I realize with new electronic devices like smartphones there is the possibility and likelihood of issues, but the number of KEYones experiencing this issue, considering the small numbers that have been made available for purchase, seems higher than normal... 🤔

Bob
    06-28-17 07:52 PM
    True... but you originally said there were only a "few" KEYones that were having issues with the screen coming detached. I realize with new electronic devices like smartphones there is the possibility and likelihood of issues, but the number of KEYones experiencing this issue, considering the small numbers that have been made available for purchase, seems higher than normal... 🤔

Bob
    "Seems high" is a matter of opinion. You are entitled to it but if you're basing it on posted threads. Have you seen the threads where people have had no issues?
    06-28-17 08:18 PM
    "Seems high" is a matter of opinion. You are entitled to it but if you're basing it on posted threads. Have you seen the threads where people have had no issues?
    I have read all the KEYone threads regarding the screen issue. Yes, I am aware this doesn't happen to every KEYone. We can respectively agree to disagree, but the number of KEYones that are experiencing this issue seems high based on the number of devices sold. A number of others share the same opinion.

Bob
    jfalkingham and andy957 like this.
    06-28-17 08:40 PM
    I have read all the KEYone threads regarding the screen issue. Yes, I am aware this doesn't happen to every KEYone. We can respectively agree to disagree, but the number of KEYones that are experiencing this issue seems high based on the number of devices sold. A number of others share the same opinion.

Bob
    That's fine but glad you acknowledge it's an option and not a fact. The Priv heating up was an actual issue 2 years later, is on two it's second owner and still running strong.
    06-28-17 08:51 PM
    That's fine but glad you acknowledge it's an option and not a fact. The Priv heating up was an actual issue 2 years later, is on two it's second owner and still running strong.
    I've had this Priv since launch and I never experienced the heat issue although I'm well aware it was a reported issue. Similarly to the KEYone screen issue... it is in fact an issue like the heat issue for the Priv. Both these issues affect some but not all.

I will undoubtedly get a KEYone as I've had every BlackBerry device except the Torch starting with a 7130c. But since my Priv is filling my needs I'm in no rush and I'm sure the screen issue will be a non issue with later production runs of the KEYone.

Bob
    06-28-17 09:04 PM

Bob
    It was enough for BlackBerry Mobile to call it out in a statement. You don't do that for a 'small' amount, they found something and altered production so no matter what, I would not want a first batch unit.
    06-28-17 10:59 PM
36 12