I want to encrypt my SD card so in case it is ever stolen the thief won't be able to access my media files. However since I'm constantly updating & organizing my SD card into neatly categorized folders I am always backing it up to my PC as well.

My question is if I encrypt my SD card, how do I copy the SD card's content to my PC and have those files be easily accessible there. I want to encrypt and use USB OTG to transfer the content in my SD card to a USB flash drive within the phone, but will those files then be accessible in the PC (the ones on the USB flash drive)?

Posted via CB10
    04-15-16 02:34 AM
    I don't think you can. I've just encrypted my SD Card on Marshmallow. I've read the articles about having such a high end device it's not worth it losing the performance.

I've only used Marshmallow for a day and I current am unable to use my laptop for a few days but the stories do suggest that the SD card turns your phone in to one big internal storage unit and there is no way to export files like we used to by simply removing the SD card. Effectively it's like an iPhone but there are tools which allow for greater integration over bluetooth/cloud backup etc.

So far the performance has been pretty good and I haven't noticed too much of a difference. Not to the average user but people who do intensive gaming or video work may do.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    04-15-16 02:58 AM
    Ah...

There's no point in encrypting my SD Card if I can't use it as an external storage, but at the same time I don't want to risk it being stolen and someone just popping it in an SD card reader. There's nothing to hide, but I still prefer to be secure if that's an option.
    04-15-16 03:28 AM
    What we need is sd card encryption for media card configuration not adoptive.

04-15-16 05:12 AM
    I will ask: Is there a choice between the sd-card remaining SEPARATE EXTERNAL storage or an extension of internal memory?

I believe it the card is encrypted, when you copy off the card (when in the device), the files are decoded as they get copied. It is the card that is encrypted if removed to a computer. I imagine there's a hit or slowdown when first encrypting all files. After that there might be some but maybe not significant.

In BB10, if the device was totally wiped without unencrypting the card, it was lost. If the phone died, the data was lost as the key was part of the original phone and its then loaded OS.

Personally, I keep private date in INTERNAL memory (behind a phone password) and leave relatively insignificant data - music, photos, videos, generic docs - on the card. That way I don't have to worry if the card can be read.
    04-15-16 11:28 AM
    I will ask: Is there a choice between the sd-card remaining SEPARATE EXTERNAL storage or an extension of internal memory?
    Yes you have that option when MM installs it will ask you if you want to if you want to use the SD as internal storage or as removable media. Also explains that if you set it as internal that you won't be able to access it with other devices.

FF22 likes this.
    04-15-16 11:43 AM
    You never have a problem with SD card encryption if you connect your device to a computer. If you have "merged" SD card and internal memory on MM, only one storage device appears in any file manager that you may use. You can copy files in and out as you like, you won't see that ALL files are encrypted.

Posted via BlackBerry Priv
    FF22 likes this.
    04-15-16 11:48 AM
    I've just encrypted my SD Card on Marshmallow.
    Did you make it adoptable?
    04-15-16 12:18 PM

I believe it the card is encrypted, when you copy off the card (when in the device), the files are decoded as they get copied. It is the card that is encrypted if removed to a computer. I imagine there's a hit or slowdown when first encrypting all files. After that there might be some but maybe not significant.
    There is a choice but remember if you choose adoptable storage there's no going back. Unless you buy any other SD card

If you liked this post, you can now find more like this by following me on Twitter @MeerAdrie
    04-15-16 12:21 PM
    Did you make it adoptable?
    Yeh. I'm actually happy with it. I just need a way to put 20GB of music on now and I'm not paying for Apple Music!

If you liked this post, you can now find more like this by following me on Twitter @MeerAdrie
    04-15-16 12:22 PM
    I will add to this that yes while your Priv is plugged into your computer you can move files back and forth but remember you can never use this SD card with any other device. The reason i didnt do it is because if my Priv ever stops working then this SD card is useless. If i drop it in water etc i can never get the data off. As well if the SD card stops working it will kill the device and ill have to reinstall the OS i am assuming.
    04-15-16 03:10 PM
    But you constantly back up data to the cloud so I don't see the logic in that? I have unlimited storage of photos and videos (they're compressed but so what) and 15GB on Drive, and 50GB of Box and my Windows 10 PC has Onedrive files

04-15-16 03:18 PM
    To each their own I guess, I also have 128 GB SD card and 32 GB internal storage, i have not been able to even touch the 32 GB internal storage yet. Once i do this might become a problem
    04-15-16 03:32 PM
    I will add to this that yes while your Priv is plugged into your computer you can move files back and forth but remember you can never use this SD card with any other device. The reason i didnt do it is because if my Priv ever stops working then this SD card is useless. If i drop it in water etc i can never get the data off. As well if the SD card stops working it will kill the device and ill have to reinstall the OS i am assuming.
    Actually, that is a good question. If using "consolidated" memory (or whatever it is called) and the sd-card fails (rare but it happens) does the OS etc need to be reinstalled?
    04-15-16 03:47 PM
    No it won't kill the device. The file system is separate from the internal storage even though to the user it looks unified. If it was unified at the system level someone fooling around with ejecting your sd card on your phone could corrupt the device.
    04-15-16 04:06 PM
    Google do not like removable storage, notne of their nexus devices have it. BB made a mistake on MM allowing adoptable storage on MM in my opinion, several makers including Samsung does not allow adoptable storage on their MM devices including the new S7 and S7 edge
    04-15-16 04:30 PM
    Yeh. I'm actually happy with it. I just need a way to put 20GB of music on now and I'm not paying for Apple Music!

Did it add on top of internal memory or replaced the internal memory?

04-15-16 04:33 PM
    Did it add on top of internal memory or replaced the internal memory?

All the apps and cached data goes on the internal and everything else goes on the card. I have a file manager though that says I only have the size of the memory card available but that's misleading

None of the allocation on the card will be compromised by app and cache data

So if you make a new Folder by an app for saving an image or downloading a video than every single one of them will be saved to the SD card

And you can choose which folders can regular sync and be backed up to the cloud - as you may already have been using before

04-16-16 12:15 AM
    sorry to jump on someone elses thread. im thinking of encrypting my memory card. i currently have my phone set up to backup all my photos to my dropbox account as well as using droplink to backup photos/media received by whatsapp. if i encrypt my card will encrypted files get sent to dropbox?
    Last edited by swahmed; 05-30-16 at 05:37 PM. Reason: repeated my self
    05-30-16 03:27 PM
    sorry to jump on someone elses thread. im thinking of encrypting my memory card. i currently have my phone set up to backup all my photos to my dropbox account as well as using droplink to backup photos/media received by whatsapp. if i encrypt my card will encrypted files get sent to dropbox?
    No. Dropbox would end up with unencrypted files.

05-30-16 07:36 PM