I currently own a Q10, and run Waze a lot as I do a ton of driving. Waze has burned images into the screen of my Q10 where images are consistently on the screen. It shows up as lighter areas on a dark screen. Will this happen to the Priv over time as well?

Posted via CB10
    10-16-15 10:56 AM
    I currently own a Q10, and run Waze a lot as I do a ton of driving. Waze has burned images into the screen of my Q10 where images are consistently on the screen. It shows up as lighter areas on a dark screen. Will this happen to the Priv over time as well?

Posted via CB10
    yes it will. I have a priv for 2 years, and it has that... don't buy it...

Now seriously, that's "ghosting" wich used to be common in OLED displays, but it's a long term problem. Don't ask a question that nobody knows, not even Blackberry probabily, it's a brand new devices. in 2 years we will tell. It's like buying a brand new car with brand new engine, and asking if you're going to have a blow head gasket at 150.000 miles.

Today's OLED screen should be less prone to that I guess.
    10-16-15 01:27 PM
    yes it will. I have a priv for 2 years, and it has that... don't buy it...

Now seriously, that's "ghosting" wich used to be common in OLED displays, but it's a long term problem. Don't ask a question that nobody knows, not even Blackberry probabily, it's a brand new devices. in 2 years we will tell. It's like buying a brand new car with brand new engine, and asking if you're going to have a blow head gasket at 150.000 miles.

Today's OLED screen should be less prone to that I guess.
    I was actually hoping that someone who knows about these screens could tell me that the screen technology on the Priv is completely different than the Q10, so it shouldn't....

Posted via CB10
    Lawrence Steinbach likes this.
    10-16-15 01:41 PM
    According to the specs, it's an AMOLED display. An inherent limitation of an amoled display is screen burn in. The pixels "deplete" over time the more you use it. If you go to phone stores, you can see some pretty bad burn in on the display models with amoled screens such as the S6. So yes, if you were able to burn in on a Q10, it will burn in on the Priv. It's just how amoled displays work.
    10-16-15 01:41 PM
    I was actually hoping that someone who knows about these screens could tell me that the screen technology on the Priv is completely different than the Q10, so it shouldn't....

Posted via CB10
    It's the same technology, wich is OLED (or AMOLED in phones to reduce input lag). The same way a ferrari 50 years ago had the same technology (internal conbustion engine) as a ferrari today, but we can't really say they are the same... Early OLED's were known for the ghosting issue, the more they evolve the less issue it is. Don't know if ghosting will be an issue in today's OLED's, but I expect it should have been greatly reduced, so many phones have them now.
    10-16-15 01:50 PM
    Thanks for the input everyone! Much appreciated.

Posted via CB10
    10-16-15 05:10 PM
    I've actually seen this happen to the Passport and it has an LED screen. It was at an AT&T store and it had burn-ins of the demo screen.
    10-16-15 05:34 PM