Been following the forums for a while, but 1st time posting....

Been seeing all the rage going around the "Slider" and decided to give my two cents. Been a Blackberry user for the last 6 years, and proudly had a z10 for the last 2.5 years (more on that later). Wasnīt really happy when the rumours on Blackberry going Android started getting stronger and practically confirmed. But then I remembered that Porsche also had the same dilema some years back, with sales slumping, and a dwindling customer base, until some "nutjob" came up with the idea of building an SUV with a Porsche badge. It was an outcry, similar to what Blackberry is having right now, but that "nutjob" proved to be right, saving the company by reaching a customer base that never had a Porsche before, the guy who wanted a Porsche, and the wife who wanted something practical to go to the supermarket and ferry the kids to soccer practice at warp drive. So, in this light, if Blackberry has to go Android in order to survive, and in the process successfully convert (or bring back) a customer base, then so be it.
    That said, unfortunately I had to part with my z10. As Blackberry has completely disappeared from the Brazilian Consumer Market, going full corporate, many apps also disappeared from Blackberry World, including my Banking App (ironically from Itau, the same bank that bought 2,000 BB10 devices in 2014). So I took the Android route, and am happy to say that BB10 is very well received in the used mobile Market, where Samsung paid $150,00 in Exchange for a Galaxy J5. (Buy-in promotion).
    Will I return to Blackberry?? Hell yes!!!! When their Android gamble proves right, and on a visit to the U.S., getting an Unlocked phone.
    Feel free to chip in opinion guys!!!
    09-20-15 02:44 PM
    Here's the thing. Porsche didn't stick a KIA engine in the Cayenne. They made a different looking Porsche.

Posted via CB10
    Mansoor2, z3user, RezzaBuh and 3 others like this.
    09-20-15 02:52 PM
    I see your point. There needs to be change, but I will say this. Bb10 won't go anywhere unless they believe that the android counterpart can be as or more secure than their own device. With that being said, that's still a possibility. There's one more thing that I think this device is made for. And I say that it's for their samsung knox or even more likely their Android for work environment. Where customers can be assured they get a secure device from BlackBerry, their productivity apps, and their google play services. I think it's a great idea, and a way for BlackBerry to expand their customer base. And since Samsung is a reseller for BES12 this is another reason to sell this product as well. And that assumption is made that this device with the dual sided curves is creating some revenue for Samsung as well.

Posted via CB10
    09-20-15 02:52 PM
    The thing is that the outcry isn't because BlackBerry is building an Android device. It's out of the unsubstantiated fear that there will no longer be BB10 devices made.

You see, Porsche added the Cayenne, but imagine if they stopped making their other sports cars.
    That's where all the paranoid craziness is coming from.
    Once ppl see a roadmap that includes future BB10 devices, everyone is going to relax lol.

 Frosty White Q10/10.3.2.2639 CB10 
    09-20-15 03:28 PM
    Strange thing that app from bbworld should disapear suddenly... me thinks, cannot be, or could this be???

Posted via CB10
    09-20-15 04:10 PM
    Here's the thing. Porsche didn't stick a KIA engine in the Cayenne. They made a different looking Porsche.
    One could argue Porsche simply prettied up a Volkswagen to create the Cayenne...
    09-20-15 06:07 PM
    One could argue Porsche simply prettied up a Volkswagen to create the Cayenne...
    Toyota saved Porsche, until vw bought them out, and just rebadged a touareg to a cayenne lol
    09-20-15 07:32 PM
    Cross platform. ^

And there was a time when Porsche was ready to pounce and buy VW, but then VW bought Porsche. Was bound to happen.

Let's wait and see what will happen in the mobile sphere... :-)

•   Leakers' gonna leak... :-)   •
    09-20-15 07:35 PM
    Cross platform. ^

And there was a time when Porsche was ready to pounce and buy VW, but then VW bought Porsche. Was bound to happen.

Let's wait and see what will happen in the mobile sphere... :-)

•   Leakers' gonna leak... :-)   •
    Do you think BlackBerry might buy Google?
    anischab and acovey like this.
    09-20-15 08:04 PM
    The thing is that the outcry isn't because BlackBerry is building an Android device. It's out of the unsubstantiated fear that there will no longer be BB10 devices made.

You see, Porsche added the Cayenne, but imagine if they stopped making their other sports cars.
    That's where all the paranoid craziness is coming from.
    Once ppl see a roadmap that includes future BB10 devices, everyone is going to relax lol.

 Frosty White Q10/10.3.2.2639 CB10 
    The problem is everyone knew Porsche was going to keep making 911, Boxster, and they introduced the Cayman which also helped the brand greatly. BlackBerry has all but ended BB10 development, told BB10 developers to develop for Android and submit to that garbage Amazon store, and hasn't said a word and even though glorious Chairman Chen said he would stop leaks, it appears BlackBerry is strategically leaking info about the slider en mass while saying they are committed to Bb10. They are committed to BB10 like they were committed to the PlayBook IMHO. They are just keeping things vague till Android slider is out then will club the baby seal and laugh while doing it.

Posted via Z30
    jope28 and astrodan13 like this.
    09-20-15 08:28 PM

Posted via CB10
    Nah, the engine has actually always been the same throughout everyone except Apple (Snapdragon).

The proper analogy is that BlackBerry stopped forcing its 'drivers' to look for the one or two 'special' gas stations in the entire country, or require them to spend time and effort 're-refining' more commonly available gas in hopes that it may or may not make the car run (and not particularly smoothly).

Posted via CB10
    09-20-15 09:38 PM
    Compare the comparable.
    Don't compare phones with cars.

Make your own mind. Don’t be influenced by the mass.

Live in the now. What is the lifespan of a smartphone? 2 years? 3-5 are okay. Then the hardware becomes outdated. The connection speeds up, the OS versions grow in local memory and in RAM requireness so that one should upgrade the hardware.

With a good built hardware, one can expect the device hold longer than it's software. So yeah, that makes the good devices! What is a good OS and all the specs worth when on the first falling the screen cracks and the phone becomes unsable? Or by charging it the overheating melts the circuit and make it burn/explode/die?

BlackBerries are made to last longer than their OS! For sure!

Workhorse: BlackBerry|Q10, SQN100-3, OS 10.3.2.2639; Power Workhorse: BlackBerry|Passport, SQW100-1, OS 10.3.2.2639 ; Germany.
    09-20-15 11:10 PM

Posted via CB10
    Sounds like what BlackBerry tried to do with the passport.
    Then they tried to play to the base with the classic.
    Neither device performed at the level they needed them to; what else are they supposed to do?

Posted via BlackBerry Passport Silver Edition
    ayngling likes this.
    09-20-15 11:28 PM
    I just read all this thread.
    What if...
    BlackBerry is experimenting... since the day it chaged its company name from RIM...
    What if they are searching for a success formula like Apple did.
    I think they'll remain second for ever even if they found it?
    The iPhone was a revolution. I don't deny it! A smartphone with Apps! Programs in a Program/OS.
    Waw. Then developers added more apps. Then the hardware emproved. From year to year, the hardware is emproving but the main system remained as it was working. So why change it!?

So what if the playbook was an experiment? It did not fail... it built the first step to BB10 !!! It could not be upgraded to BB10 because the hardware was not sufficient and not upgradable. The mass was leaned toward smartphones becoming bigger, not tablets becoming smaller.

So what if BB10 was an experiment, too? See what's possible, with the best possible hardware create the best OS emulating Android apps

And what if the 'Slider' was an experiment to directly run the latest Android directly on the best hardware?

There are two success models: the innate one where from day 1 the invention is a complete turn like Apple did and the learn by doing model where the long way to success is a long process of experimenting.

Thomas Edison said about his long way to get it: there were not 1000 failures but I have just found 1000 ways that did nott work.

I am sure, the day will come, where BlackBerry labels a phone "Phoenix".
    09-20-15 11:47 PM
    What if...
    BlackBerry is experimenting... since the day it chaged its company name from RIM...
    The iPhone was a revolution. I don't deny it! A smartphone with Apps! Programs in a Program/OS.
    Waw. Then developers added more apps. Then the hardware emproved. From year to year, the hardware is emproving but the main system remained as it was working. So why change it!?

So what if the playbook was an experiment? It did not fail... it built the first step to BB10 !!! It could not be upgraded to BB10 because the hardware was not sufficient and not upgradable. The mass was leaned toward smartphones becoming bigger, not tablets becoming smaller.

So what if BB10 was an experiment, too? See what's possible, with the best possible hardware create the best OS emulating Android apps

And what if the 'Slider' was an experiment to directly run the latest Android directly on the best hardware?

There are two success models: the innate one where from day 1 the invention is a complete turn like Apple did and the learn by doing model where the long way to success is a long process of experimenting.

Thomas Edison said about his long way to get it: there were not 1000 failures but I have just found 1000 ways that did nott work.

You sound delusional.

Pb os 1.0 failed
    Pb os 2.0 failed
    Bb10 failed

We are praying android doesn't fail, the end.

09-21-15 12:03 AM
    You sound delusional.

Pb os 1.0 failed
    Pb os 2.0 failed
    Bb10 failed

We are praying android doesn't fail, the end.

As said Edison... it did not fail, it just did not work ;-P
    Oh... the fastest way to succeed is to double the failure rate!
    So may the slider fail, too and fast?! To succed earlier !! :-)
    (German way to express optimism):
    There are many expressions in German that are horribly difficult to translate.

One of my favourites that could cause confusion is the German custom of wishing people luck by wishing them "Hals- und Beinbruch!" (literally: 'broken neck and broken leg') or 'Kopf- und Bauchschuss' (literally: 'shot in the head and stomach') or (for sailors) 'Mast- und Schotbruch' (literally: 'broken mast and ripped sail') upon parting.
    A common reply for this would be "wird schon schiefgehen" (literally: 'I have no doubt it's going to go badly'). Counterintuitively, the semantics of this is optimistic -- e.g. whoever says that things are going to turn out badly indicates by this that he is not worried, and that he actually expects that things will be fine.

In essence, one expresses optimism by claiming that an improbably horrible outcome is a near-certainty.
    (copied from the website and pasted here)
    Fulltext and Author comments on:

http://addxorrol.blogspot.de/2008/11...imism.html?m=1

Workhorse: BlackBerry|Q10, SQN100-3, OS 10.3.2.2639; Power Workhorse: BlackBerry|Passport, SQW100-1, OS 10.3.2.2639 ; Germany.
    rayporsche likes this.
    09-21-15 12:21 AM
    As said Edison... it did not fail, it just did not work ;-P
    Oh... the fastest way to succeed is to double the failure rate!
    So may the slider fail, too and fast?! To succed earlier !! :-)
    (German way to express optimism):
    There are many expressions in German that are horribly difficult to translate.

One of my favourites that could cause confusion is the German custom of wishing people luck by wishing them "Hals- und Beinbruch!" (literally: 'broken neck and broken leg') or 'Kopf- und Bauchschuss' (literally: 'shot in the head and stomach') or (for sailors) 'Mast- und Schotbruch' (literally: 'broken mast and ripped sail') upon parting.
    A common reply for this would be "wird schon schiefgehen" (literally: 'I have no doubt it's going to go badly'). Counterintuitively, the semantics of this is optimistic -- e.g. whoever says that things are going to turn out badly indicates by this that he is not worried, and that he actually expects that things will be fine.

In essence, one expresses optimism by claiming that an improbably horrible outcome is a near-certainty.
    (copied from the website and pasted here)
    Fulltext and Author comments on:

http://addxorrol.blogspot.de/2008/11...imism.html?m=1

Wow.

09-21-15 12:37 AM
    Germans,...

Posted via CB10
    09-21-15 12:40 AM
    Hmm... rowdy (unique) lamborghinis turning into german heavyweights saved them.
    09-21-15 04:33 AM
    What if...

Edison experimented in the lab, not on his customers. When you treat your customers like lab rats over and over again, and it just looks like you are fling p00 at the wall all the time to see what sticks, you start selling less than a Million devices a quarter.

Posted via Z30
    09-21-15 09:02 AM
    Great Replies....never thought a car analogy would go so far.....I get the fact that Porsche kept the 911in production after the Cayenne ( and its over-glorified cousin, the Toureg), but, Porsche's main business is sport automobile driven, the same way that Blackberry's main business is secure communication, so I would not doubt that if Blackberry's Android gamble pays off, making Android more secure (and I'm praying to my personal God they did), I wouldn't be surprised if Chen decided to drop bb10. As I mentioned before, if Porsche hadn't listened to the market, and insisted in keeping with the 911 because of a handful of loyalists, maybe they wouldn't be around, same with BB10, as an example, Android has 82% of the market here in Brazil, and since the announcement of the Android running Venice, many companies have pulled their apps from Blackberry World.......BTW Volkswagen bought Porsche because of a German law that required Porsche to place a bid on Volkswagen...but I would digress...
    09-21-15 09:17 AM