View Poll Results: Poll: Pure BB10 vs Android for BlackBerry from now on

Voters
14. You may not vote on this poll
  • Pure BB10 without Android Runtime

6 42.86%
  • Android

8 57.14%
    BB10 already has android. Just fine tune it so it doesn't cause your phone to heat up, and then get Google on board. Viola, problem solved, no app gap.

Posted via CB10
    08-25-15 03:06 PM
    Under those circumstances and with only one phone in use, it'd certainly be Android for me. I'm not a big app user but I still need some. And with Android, I know that I'm also getting regular updates.

Posted via CB10
    08-25-15 05:37 PM
    Why only choice one?

I personally think the strategic planning within BlackBerry is to have BB10 fall back to a fleet phone lineup. A line up that Government sectors, Enterprise and anyone who has an emphasis on low cost, secure and productive communications would likely want for 100's of employees.

Were as the BlackBerry Android variety, would end up satisfying all other Government, Enterprise and Consumer facets that are looking for the latest and greatest phones and access to a mature app ecosystem. What I think is great, is that this might introduce elements of BB10 OS that other platform users never knew, we as BlackBerry 10 owners know about.

Look! It's Zedzilla30!
    I agree with you. Who ever said that BB10 OS was going anywhere? Chen even said that BB10 is essential to BES. As it looks, BlackBerry will have android with a BlackBerry suite and BB10 for enterprise. And who's to say that regular folks like won't be able to keep using BB10.

Posted via CB10
    08-25-15 06:54 PM
    If people can remember blackberry users has always had multiple devices. Not too many people just use it all by itself. It was expensive to have a blackberry back in the day unless the company you work for footed the bill. What blackberry need to do is get more control of the enterprise market

Posted via CB10
    08-25-15 07:52 PM
    Admirable that so many are defending BB10 and claiming that there's no need for Chendroid

If it comes down to it, and you'd have to choose one OS for BlackBerry from now on, which would you choose?
    1) Pure BB10 without Android Runtime or
    2) Android with BlackBerry Experience Suite Apps
    And why?

If you choose pure BB10, what would you do about the app gap? Because that's the biggest gripe the general consumer
    BB10.

As for the app gap...
    There are more than enough apps in BlackBerry World to satisfy 75% of the current smartphones users. The "general consumer" wants social media apps, a fun game they can play with their friends and the ability to communicate with family and friends via voice and video. Check, check and check.
    08-25-15 08:00 PM
    BB10.

As for the app gap...
    There are more than enough apps in BlackBerry World to satisfy 75% of the current smartphones users. The "general consumer" wants social media apps, a fun game they can play with their friends and the ability to communicate with family and friends via voice and video. Check, check and check.
    So you hold that BBW has enough apps for 75% of smartphone users?

If it did, I think it would have thrived.
    DJM626 and SunshineStateFlyer like this.
    08-25-15 08:47 PM

That's about right. Think about it outside of facebook, instagram, Skype, snapchat, and most of the bank apps, what else do the average user use? It's the newer app that blackberry doesn't have.

Posted via CB10
    08-25-15 08:57 PM
    That's about right. Think about it outside of facebook, instagram, Skype, snapchat, and most of the bank apps, what else do the average user use? It's the newer app that blackberry doesn't have.

Posted via CB10
    Pick any dozen users, and ask for their top 10 lists. The answers will be very telling. I bet no two will match completely.

Therein is the problem.
    08-25-15 09:00 PM

Just a poll of the users around me that represent the "general user". Facebook, Twitter, browser, a fun little game to discuss around the water cooler, a chat app or two. Those people represent a huge chunk of the smartphone user base. Far more that 10 million devices for sure.

And no, it still didn't thrive.

Did you vote?
    08-25-15 09:04 PM

Posted via CB10
    It's beyond their ability to comprehend. Smartphones are used by not so smart people. My mom has one but demanded all that "stuff" be turned off and argues she shouldn't even have to pay for data because she doesn't use it.

BB10 with all of the apps, but only a few million users is a flop but BB10 with a few hundred million users but NONE of the apps is a success. They have a user problem, not an app problem.
    08-25-15 09:08 PM
    Pick any dozen users, and ask for their top 10 lists. The answers will be very telling. I bet no two will match completely.

Therein is the problem.
    The problem is that blackberry doesn't cover all 10 on that list. Maybe 5, but if it doesn't t cover everything that people want, good luck.

Posted via CB10
    08-25-15 09:10 PM
    Just a poll of the users around me that represent the "general user". Facebook, Twitter, browser, a fun little game to discuss around the water cooler, a chat app or two. Those people represent a huge chunk of the smartphone user base. Far more that 10 million devices for sure.

And no, it still didn't thrive.

Did you vote?
    Ah, but then you start getting into discussions about quality of said apps, and the availability of specific social networking and chat apps on BB10.

Take any app category. Unlike Highlander, there need not be only one. Diversity seems to be what matters most.

So, yes, big name apps are great, but even more important are those specific apps that are not mainstream, but important to individual users nonetheless.

Each time you see a TV ad noting apps for iOS and Android only, BB10's shortcomings are inadvertently highlighted.
    08-25-15 09:13 PM
    Ah, but then you start getting into discussions about quality of said apps, and the availability of specific social networking and chat apps on BB10.

Take any app category. Unlike Highlander, there need not be only one. Diversity seems to be what matters most.

So, yes, big name apps are great, but even more important are those specific apps that are not mainstream, but important to individual users nonetheless.

Each time you see a TV ad noting apps for iOS and Android only, BB10's shortcomings are inadvertently highlighted.
    SOOOoooooo, did you vote?
    08-26-15 05:16 AM
    I think another discussion about the app gap is obsolete. It's obvious that BBW does not fulfill the needs of most users.

Important big names are not available, at least not through their official distributors. Those apps may be a few percent of all apps available, but a very important few percent. Those apps are a qualifying factor for any app store, no matter how many apps it carries in total.

Secondly, the apps that are actually available are often poorly maintained. Updates have become very rare and bugs are barely addressed at all. There are so many examples for that.

Thirdly, those few, poorly maintained apps that are available, often don't have the same functionality as their Android or iOS siblings. Also lots of examples for that.

I have to say, WhatsApp and BBM are one of the few exceptions that offer fully featured native applications. Even CB10, although it is a good app generally, has more features on the Android version.

Posted via CB10
    08-26-15 06:49 AM
    All it takes is a single app to turn most any smartphone user off of BB10. Whether it be their banking app, main social app, key professional mobile tool (medical, real estate, pilot, etc.) or just the app that allows them to connect to their home automation device, there is a deal killer for just about anyone. John Chen knows it because he hears about it every day. A cost-cutter like him also isn't going to support two different operating systems for very long.
    08-26-15 07:07 AM
    1) BB10 with Android runtime is my vote

 Posted by Passport, BlackBerry's Beast 
    08-26-15 07:14 AM
    I'll take whichever one has this awesome PHYSICAL keyboard attached to it!!!

Posted via CB10
    08-26-15 07:40 AM
    Easy for me pure BB10! Only apps I have are the ones preloaded and crackberry lol. Apps are distraction.

Posted via CB10
    08-26-15 08:05 AM
    I personally don't think one can answer this cut and dry. BlackBerry are looking at the future and trying to save the business. With that, Android just might be the answer.

I personally think brilliant marketing is partly the answer. But, it is too late to try marketing BB10 now...
    Most ppl looks past the "save" part as if BlackBerry has a multitude of choices.

IMO.
    As far as a pure BlackBerry OS - never going to happen.....no matter how many say they will never use Android apps and want runtime removed. Unless someone wants to return to a Legacy device and OS7.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G928A
    08-26-15 11:37 PM
    I would be much happier with BB10 without the runtime. Stock, my BlackBerry has all the apps I need to get a ton of work done. My phone is not a hobby. It's a tool. I have an iPad and Nexus tablet, and I only use them for testing website functionality.

I am not against Android as a concept. It's just that I've never found a decent Android device for actually getting work done. My laptop and my BlackBerry rule the roost.

99% of mobile apps I've seen are crap wastes of time and are vastly inferior to actual web-based applications.

Google and Apple just want you to buy stuff in their stores. That's their business model, so they ship useless devices that REQUIRE additional apps to be even minimally useful. It's a treadmill I would prefer to avoid.

Instead of "There's an app for that," I'd prefer the phone does it out of the box. My BB10 phone is a complete mobile office out of the box. Sure, I can install additional stuff, and I do, but everything essential for me is either notice BB10 or is a full Android port. I've never installed anything via Amazon or Snap.

Posted via CB10
    08-27-15 01:27 AM
    I would be much happier with BB10 without the runtime. Stock, my BlackBerry has all the apps I need to get a ton of work done. My phone is not a hobby. It's a tool. I have an iPad and Nexus tablet, and I only use them for testing website functionality.

I am not against Android as a concept. It's just that I've never found a decent Android device for actually getting work done. My laptop and my BlackBerry rule the roost.

99% of mobile apps I've seen are crap wastes of time and are vastly inferior to actual web-based applications.

Google and Apple just want you to buy stuff in their stores. That's their business model, so they ship useless devices that REQUIRE additional apps to be even minimally useful. It's a treadmill I would prefer to avoid.

Instead of "There's an app for that," I'd prefer the phone does it out of the box. My BB10 phone is a complete mobile office out of the box. Sure, I can install additional stuff, and I do, but everything essential for me is either notice BB10 or is a full Android port. I've never installed anything via Amazon or Snap.

Posted via CB10
    The out-of-the box is a failed concept. It works if one doesn't do a lot on the go.

The a la carte method -- one which, interestingly enough, BlackBerry helped birth -- seems to be vastly superior for most consumers/business people. Let them decide what they want, instead of forcing (sometime) inferior stock applications down users throats. A well stocked ecosystem ensures consumers get the best utilities.

While nothing generally matches the raw power of a computer, plenty of folks are able to maintain productivity on the go via apps. I use MS Office extensively, do mobile banking one a month, and manage businesses on the go. I expect to not have to use a laptop much, and that's why a vibrant ecosystem is useful to me.

Different strokes for different folks, but I doubt BBRY could have done worse with a better native app catalog. Then, they'd be able to cater to both the folks who think apps are useless AND those that don't.

Everyone wins.
    08-27-15 01:40 AM
    Admirable that so many are defending BB10 and claiming that there's no need for Chendroid

If it comes down to it, and you'd have to choose one OS for BlackBerry from now on, which would you choose?
    1) Pure BB10 without Android Runtime or
    2) Android with BlackBerry Experience Suite Apps
    And why?

If you choose pure BB10, what would you do about the app gap? Because that's the biggest gripe the general consumer
    Pure BB10. I've been waiting for the Android runtime to be excised from the OS since its introduction.

As for the app gap? Who cares? The only app I'd be sorry to lose is my stock trading app.

Posted via CB10
    08-27-15 04:10 AM
    The out-of-the box is a failed concept. It works if one doesn't do a lot on the go.

The a la carte method -- one which, interestingly enough, BlackBerry helped birth -- seems to be vastly superior for most consumers/business people. Let them decide what they want, instead of forcing (sometime) inferior stock applications down users throats. A well stocked ecosystem ensures consumers get the best utilities.

While nothing generally matches the raw power of a computer, plenty of folks are able to maintain productivity on the go via apps. I use MS Office extensively, do mobile banking one a month, and manage businesses on the go. I expect to not have to use a laptop much, and that's why a vibrant ecosystem is useful to me.

Different strokes for different folks, but I doubt BBRY could have done worse with a better native app catalog. Then, they'd be able to cater to both the folks who think apps are useless AND those that don't.

Everyone wins.
    Whats funny is that blackberry allows users to delete a lot of the default apps when apple wont

Posted via CB10
    08-27-15 04:11 AM
    All it takes is a single app to turn most any smartphone user off of BB10. Whether it be their banking app, main social app, key professional mobile tool (medical, real estate, pilot, etc.) or just the app that allows them to connect to their home automation device, there is a deal killer for just about anyone. John Chen knows it because he hears about it every day. A cost-cutter like him also isn't going to support two different operating systems for very long.
    BOOM! You read mind. It's not enough to just have the Hub & easy flow of the Bb10. There should be well made apps too! For the $500 - $700 cost of a BB10 device, I want it all! And I want it now!
    08-27-15 04:16 PM
    Pure BB10. I would even go iOS before going Android.
    08-27-15 05:19 PM
51 123