For those of you who are planning on buying the Priv thinking you can use the Hub again in an organization that dissallows BlackBerry devices by device rules then you will be out of luck.

I filed a support case because the Gmail App works it announced itself as android. For some reason the Hub App is hard oded as BlackBerry.

Guess what their response was after I said don't give me that as a response.

"Tell your mail Administrator to change the rule"

If it were that easy I would still be on a BlackBerry 10! What's the point of moving to Android to get more user base when we still can't use the damn software on the phone that makes it a differentiator!

I sincerely hope somebody at blackberry is watching these kinds of posts because I just bought an overpriced Android phone with features I can't use.

Tired of being the one laughed at when I proudly stand by my purchase. If you are going to turn your back on your supporters with suggestions like tell your 300,000 plus employee company to just change their Enterprise rules for allowing phones that are specially blocked on PURPOSE then you've just lost another long time fan and supporter.

This is ridiculous!

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    11-20-15 10:12 PM
    Honestly, the enterprise needs to change the rule.

They probably block anything with a wildcard of "BlackBerry" in the identifier. They should whitelist whatever the Android Hub identifier is if they approve the Priv for use in their environment.

BlackBerry is identifying their mail handling Client correctly and it's up to your enterprise whether to allow it or not.

The only thing that would be a bug on the BlackBerry side is if it was identifying as "BlackBerry 10 OS 10.3.2.1357" or something.

Posted via CB10
    nickdollimount likes this.
    11-20-15 10:42 PM
    The Android Hub requires Blackberry Services to work and i suspect this may be the reason for your issue
    11-20-15 10:45 PM
    For those of you who are planning on buying the Priv thinking you can use the Hub again in an organization that dissallows BlackBerry devices by device rules then you will be out of luck.

I filed a support case because the Gmail App works it announced itself as android. For some reason the Hub App is hard oded as BlackBerry.

If it were that easy I would still be on a BlackBerry 10! What's the point of moving to Android to get more user base when we still can't use the damn software on the phone that makes it a differentiator!

I sincerely hope somebody at blackberry is watching these kinds of posts because I just bought an overpriced Android phone with features I can't use.

Tired of being the one laughed at when I proudly stand by my purchase. If you are going to turn your back on your supporters with suggestions like tell your 300,000 plus employee company to just change their Enterprise rules for allowing phones that are specially blocked on PURPOSE then you've just lost another long time fan and supporter.

This is ridiculous!

It actually is pretty easy, a rule needs to be set up to allow BlackBerry apk's.

вιaсĸвεггч� ᕵяiv (STV100-3 Rogers Wireless)via CB for Android 5.1.1
    11-20-15 11:02 PM
    These are the screenshots - as you can see the Android Hub is sending a different device type string than the Gmail app on the same device! I think they should look at other Android mail apps like Touchdown where they let you choose or put your own devicetype string. They will run into more problems if they are planning on releasing the hub to other devices if its hardcoded as Blackberry. I think they should consider this a bug or feature request and not simply tell the organization to just change their entire policy for phone that's supposed to be identifying itself as Android in the first place. That's the whole premise I bought the phone, that it will be allowed because its Android but I'll be able to still get my Blackberry Goodness (as much as possible anyway) through their apps. I guess I'm in the minority or maybe the screenshots have cleared up what I'm saying?

Attachment 381468Attachment 381470
    Attached Thumbnails PSA: SOL if your organization blocks BlackBerry devices-hub-email-account.png   PSA: SOL if your organization blocks BlackBerry devices-priv-gmail-exchange-app.png  
    11-20-15 11:26 PM
    It actually is pretty easy, a rule needs to be set up to allow BlackBerry apk's.

вιaсĸвεггч� ᕵяiv (STV100-3 Rogers Wireless)via CB for Android 5.1.1
    Has nothing to do with the apk. The phone comes with 2 mail apps pre-loaded - the Hub and Gmail - both will allow you to add exchange accounts. Gmail works, the Hub is blocked. I will post screen shots and it will explain why. The Hub app on the Priv device is reporting the same as it would being on BB10 device, that its not Android but Blackberry as the devicetype.
    11-20-15 11:35 PM

They probably block anything with a wildcard of "BlackBerry" in the identifier. They should whitelist whatever the Android Hub identifier is if they approve the Priv for use in their environment.

BlackBerry is identifying their mail handling Client correctly and it's up to your enterprise whether to allow it or not.

The only thing that would be a bug on the BlackBerry side is if it was identifying as "BlackBerry 10 OS 10.3.2.1357" or something.

Posted via CB10
    There is no Android Hub identifier that's the issue! And no an organization or how many others will not just go out and change the rule for a phone with no market share. The person will just have to drop the phone. Please live in reality and look at the screen shots I will be posting as to where the issue lies.
    11-20-15 11:37 PM

Posted via CB10
    That's the problem - the Hub's identifier is still Blackberry, but if I use the Gmail app on the same phone it uses Android so that one works. I will post screenshots and you will see why this is a mistake on BB's part.
    11-20-15 11:38 PM
    Actually an organization of that size will undoubtedly have an IS support group capable of addressing this issue similar to this come up quite often.

Posted via CB10
    Adam Frix likes this.
    11-21-15 02:32 AM
    Sell it and you can get 5 regular android phones for the cash you get! Or just buy a cheap android for work if you cant part with it! Life is too short

Blackberry Passport Running 10.3.2.2789
    11-21-15 02:45 AM
    This message although serving a purpose is a bit confusing. I currently have my passport working fine with my company's active exchange.
    If BB10 works flawless with hub etc would that mean there would be no reason for the priv not to work ?

Thanks
    11-21-15 04:30 AM

They never intended it not to be a Blackberry. They intended it to BE a Blackberry. I don't understand the confusion.

That they chose to use a different OS doesn't mean that it's not a Blackberry.
    gvs1341 and Mecca EL like this.
    11-21-15 06:30 AM
    Has nothing to do with the apk. The phone comes with 2 mail apps pre-loaded - the Hub and Gmail - both will allow you to add exchange accounts. Gmail works, the Hub is blocked. I will post screen shots and it will explain why. The Hub app on the Priv device is reporting the same as it would being on BB10 device, that its not Android but Blackberry as the devicetype.
    Which is 100% correct. Where's the problem? You knew going in that your organization blocks Blackberry; why would you assume this would be any different?

But in fact it is different--the non-BB parts of the phone work, right? So where's your actual beef? You made a decision to roll the dice and try it, knowing that the odds were WELL toward failure. And it failed. So? You do have Android functionality out of it.

Question: why does your organization disallow Blackberries?
    Mecca EL likes this.
    11-21-15 06:33 AM
    Actually an organization of that size will undoubtedly have an IS support group capable of addressing this issue similar to this come up quite often.

Posted via CB10
    Yes and I tried many times when I had my Z10 and then they put in their rule and made everyone with BlackBerry get new phones. So not possible as undoing the rule will allow all BlackBerry devices in. I wish it were that easy otherwise I would still be on BB10. I thought the Priv being Android will allow people in my situation a light at the end of the tunnel. Just letting people know that the Android Hub will not work if they are in my situation.

11-21-15 07:27 AM
    This message although serving a purpose is a bit confusing. I currently have my passport working fine with my company's active exchange.
    If BB10 works flawless with hub etc would that mean there would be no reason for the priv not to work ?

Thanks
    Then you won't have an issue. Only if your BB10 device was blocked to begin with.

11-21-15 07:28 AM
    They never intended it not to be a Blackberry. They intended it to BE a Blackberry. I don't understand the confusion.

That they chose to use a different OS doesn't mean that it's not a Blackberry.
    Other people may come to the same conclusion or hope when in my situation. It says clearly "powered by android" every other mail App on the Priv works the problem is the Hub FOR Android doesn't which is just not logical IMO and I think more people will have this issue. I just wanted to let everyone know how the device apps identify themselves to Exchange so people with similar policies will know what to expect.

11-21-15 07:33 AM
    Which is 100% correct. Where's the problem? You knew going in that your organization blocks Blackberry; why would you assume this would be any different?

But in fact it is different--the non-BB parts of the phone work, right? So where's your actual beef? You made a decision to roll the dice and try it, knowing that the odds were WELL toward failure. And it failed. So? You do have Android functionality out of it.

Question: why does your organization disallow Blackberries?
    Hope I guess. The ads say powered by android it would be a logical expectation.

The MDM they use does not support blackberry. Only Android.

They should do what the Touchdown App does where you can set the DeviceType string yourself.

I didn't realize everyone is so negative in this forum. This type of close minded thinking of oh well you are screwed when it's something they can fix in the software is what's going to kill blackberry.

Bottom line if you are going to make an Android phone then make sure apps work on Android only mdms .

This post is to help people understand how the device works. So please take my disappointment with a grain of salt.

eacus likes this.
    11-21-15 07:43 AM
    That seems shortsighted of BBRY if they intended this as a corporate phone. Hopefully the BBRY employees see this. Have you fired off a tweet or email to BBRY?
    11-21-15 07:51 AM
    That seems shortsighted of BBRY if they intended this as a corporate phone. Hopefully the BBRY employees see this. Have you fired off a tweet or email to BBRY?
    Yeah, that's what I thought. I just got back a response from their Hub team that they are working on a solution. Just not sure what the ETA is.

The support channel was not helpful at all.

11-21-15 08:00 AM

This is ridiculous!

Your administrator should change the rule. A Priv isn't going to spoof as a non BlackBerry for you. What did you expect? It's a BlackBerry.

Mecca EL likes this.
    11-21-15 08:11 AM
    Your administrator should change the rule. A Priv isn't going to spoof as a non BlackBerry for you. What did you expect? It's a BlackBerry.

Again MDM blocks BlackBerry devices. They will not change the rule. It's powered by Android so no its not completely a blackberry. Please read through thread next time as I've answered this question already.

If Gmail or other apps works on my Priv and say they are android so should the Hub App or at least give an option.

11-21-15 08:25 AM
    The MDM they use does not support blackberry. Only Android.

They should do what the Touchdown App does where you can set the DeviceType string yourself.
    But that wouldn't fix THEIR problem. They'd think they have some control over your device, when in fact they may not.

Frankly, if their MDM doesn't also support iOS, if it supports only Android, then you're dealing with a badly run organization to begin with--and you can't blame Blackberry for anything here.
    gvs1341 and Mecca EL like this.
    11-21-15 09:05 AM
    But that wouldn't fix THEIR problem. They'd think they have some control over your device, when in fact they may not.

Frankly, if their MDM doesn't also support iOS, if it supports only Android, then you're dealing with a badly run organization to begin with--and you can't blame Blackberry for anything here.
    Correction they support iOS, Android and Windows phone. Just no blackberry.

It's one of the largest brands in the world that I work for so badly run or not that's the way companies are going.

I think only BES can do all 4. And theyvdont use BES any more.

11-21-15 10:00 AM
    This is not the fault of BlackBerry. The Hub is a product of BlackBerry, how else would have have them identify it? The fact that your company's MDM blocks BlackBerry actually says somehow about them.

...still, I feel for you. Maybe BlackBerry should change the identifier to Notifications Hub. But you can't really blame them for using THEIR name on THEIR app.

Posted via CB10
    Mecca EL likes this.
    11-21-15 10:22 AM
    This is not the fault of BlackBerry. The Hub is a product of BlackBerry, how else would have have them identify it? The fact that your company's MDM blocks BlackBerry actually says somehow about them.

...still, I feel for you. Maybe BlackBerry should change the identifier to Notifications Hub. But you can't really blame them for using THEIR name on THEIR app.

Posted via CB10
    Device Type in my opinion should be Android since it is running on Android OS. If they want to roll the Hub onto other Android devices then no one will be able to get through to MdM that doesn't support blackberry devices.

The Hub team has responded to me and they said they are working on a solution, so obviously what I am asking for must make sense.

I should have put this in the Android forum because everyone here still has the luxury have having blackberry supported in their place of work.

I really want this company to succeed, however can I recommend and tout the value of the Hub if it doesn't even work. I thought moving to Android would be a breakthrough for these types of situation but what's the point of the flagship apps are blocked.

Again if any of you were in my situation you would understand how depressing this is.

11-21-15 10:32 AM
42 12