My proximity sensor continuously reads 1.9 CM. Whenever I initiate a phone call, the screen goes dark. And I'm essentially powerless to bring it back to put it on speaker phone, dial other numbers, etc.

When I open a proximity sensor tester (I've tried several, same results with all) with the phone face up the reading fluctuates from 1.9~2.3 CM. If I hover my hand over the sensor it will pick it up, and I can get the sensor to read from 3.5CM to 6.0CM. However, as soon as I move my hand from over the sensor it moves back to 1.9~2.3.

My phone does not have a screen protector, a case, or any smudges over the sensor. I have tried using apps to recalibrate it, and I have tried booting in safe mode. Neither of these things have helped or made a difference.

At this point I'm thoroughly convinced that there's a smudge on the inside of the screen, or the sensor is faulty. Before I go through the long process of trying to have Blackberry fix/replace this phone I figured I would ask here whether it's possible it's a software problem?

Other than this issue I love my phone. But my double tap to wake and flip to wake don't work. The biggest problem though is not having access to the screen during phone calls... or voicemails. Leaving me unable to delete them.
    01-29-16 10:09 AM
    if a factory reset hadn't helped, you should consider returning it and getting a new one from BlackBerry.
    01-29-16 04:23 PM
    Just an update incase anybody else ever happens to have this issue, it did end up being a faulty proximity sensor. Blackberry sent me a new phone and all is well.
    02-17-16 10:07 AM
    Same issues here. Passport is over 1-year old so it's out of warranty though. I've had on-and-off issues with the proximity sensor from when the Passport was new, but it was really rare. Additionally, lately the ambient light sensor seems to work intermittently, which causes all sorts of problems with screen brightness and keyboard back lighting. I've dropped the phone a few times too (it's in a Seidio case, once in the holster too), and then it acted up even more. Reboots of all kinds don't necessary solve the issue. BBIV reports no information sometimes. It's gotten really worse after dropping it last week. The keyboard backlight and screen brightness comes and goes apparently randomly.

From several disassembly videos I've seen on-line, it appears that the Proximity and Ambient Light sensors are together in one module that is just held against contacts on the motherboard (by friction), when the phone is fully assembled. During the videos, it appears that the sensor unit can just be popped out of the back of the screen assembly once the motherboard is removed.

I'm speculating that the physical contacts between the sensor module and the motherboard are either dirty or oxidised, or that the sensor module has been knocked slightly out of alignment. Any one else care to comment?

I'm going to call one of the independent BlackBerry repair shops in Toronto and discuss it further, and see if they can obtain and install a new sensor module for me to see if that solves the problems.
    02-23-16 08:14 PM
    hi man! having the same problem now! how can i get repalcement? im in DUBAI, united arab emirates
    05-11-16 03:32 AM
    hi man! having the same problem now! how can i get repalcement? im in DUBAI, united arab emirates
    05-11-16 03:54 AM
    Contact your carrier or the place where you purchased it

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    05-11-16 12:49 PM
    Just an update incase anybody else ever happens to have this issue, it did end up being a faulty proximity sensor. Blackberry sent me a new phone and all is well.
    I'm having the same issue to as I tried everything, even done a factory reset. I think I need to speak to CPW which is where I purchased mine or contact BlackBerry.

Where did you purchase yours and how long have you had your phone?

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    05-11-16 01:03 PM
    Also getting this issue now with my priv. Purchased in January. Will have to take it in. Phone screen keeps coming on when I am talking. And I can see my cheek making the notification menu go up and down, etc...annoying.
    06-30-16 01:07 AM
    Had this issue, saw this: https://supportforums.blackberry.com...v/td-p/3169679

Just blew in the speaker grill and it was instantly solved
    01-07-17 08:12 AM