Get a flip phone.
    I think he needs a landline.

Here's a thought......instead of moaning and complaining about all the evil phone manufactures and app developers, the OP should quit their job and learn to code. Build themselves a phone and develop their own apps. Problem solved.

Till then they should.......take a deep breath and a prozac and either accept life as it is or get rid of any devices that cause them to moan and cry like a child because they can't have it their way.
    11-17-15 02:39 PM
    I think he needs a landline.

Here's a thought......instead of moaning and complaining about all the evil phone manufactures and app developers, the OP should quit their job and learn to code. Build themselves a phone and develop their own apps. Problem solved.

Till then they should.......take a deep breath and a prozac and either accept life as it is or get rid of any devices that cause them to moan and cry like a child because they can't have it their way.
    so the best solution for the OP who thought he was a buying a phone that boasted about "security" and "privacy" is to completely ignore the fact the phone is neither of those
    lift and Mansoor2 like this.
    11-17-15 03:15 PM
    so the best solution for the OP who thought he was a buying a phone that boasted about "security" and "privacy" is to completely ignore the fact the phone is neither of those
    caveat emptor. (working flawlessly since the beginning of trade)

there is also nothing in the original post to suggest the OP actually purchased ANY phone. Just a rant for the sake of moaning. I offered a solution and even an alternative.
    Last edited by Cynycl; 11-17-15 at 03:39 PM.
    11-17-15 03:25 PM

there is also nothing in the original post to suggest the OP actually purchased ANY phone.
    where does it state he doesnt have the phone
    11-17-15 03:35 PM

there is also nothing in the original post to suggest the OP actually purchased ANY phone.
    Exactly. And there's also absolutely nothing by the OP that can point to any specific area where BlackBerry is failing on security. The OP is a troll who keeps saying "Blackphone Blackphone Blackphone. Cyanogen Cyanogen Cyanogen". And when I called him out on both of those false claims, he just said "No" and gave no indication that he's older than 5 or has any idea what security or privacy actually is.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    11-17-15 03:38 PM
    I can settle this. It doesn't state he does or doesn't have the phone. What does it matter? His point is the the privacy the Priv doesn't provide. The OP is correct and you don't have to have the phone to know this.
    11-17-15 03:40 PM
    Exactly. And there's also absolutely nothing by the OP that can point to any specific area where BlackBerry is failing on security. The OP is a troll who keeps saying "Blackphone Blackphone Blackphone. Cyanogen Cyanogen Cyanogen". And when I called him out on both of those false claims, he just said "No" and gave no indication that he's older than 5 or has any idea what security or privacy actually is.
    Look who's talking. I called you out in this thread about your claim that you can install Xposed and use Xprivacy on the Priv. You can NOT unless you have root. So why don't you pay more attention about what you post and not keep trying to discredit the OP.
    11-17-15 03:43 PM
    Look who's talking. I called you out in this thread about your claim that you can install Xposed and use Xprivacy on the Priv. You can NOT unless you have root. So why don't you pay more attention about what you post and not keep trying to discredit the OP.
    Ah...yes you can install Xposed without root access. And since you don't think you can, I'm guessing you're not a developer and are just going off some quick google search. For those of us who actually have experience with AOSP and kernal development, it's not that difficult.
    11-17-15 04:10 PM
    I can settle this. It doesn't state he does or doesn't have the phone. What does it matter? His point is the the privacy the Priv doesn't provide. The OP is correct and you don't have to have the phone to know this.
    Well I can't wait to get his thoughts on all the other available consumer products he doesn't own.
    cdavisunlimited likes this.
    11-17-15 05:18 PM
    where does it state he doesnt have the phone
    I never said it did. You said he was buying it and you are wrong.
    11-17-15 05:19 PM
    i may be wrong but what the OP is saying isnt wrong bb sold this phone emphasizing "security", "privacy" when it isnt true its just a regular android phone
    11-17-15 05:45 PM
    Ah...yes you can install Xposed without root access. And since you don't think you can, I'm guessing you're not a developer and are just going off some quick google search. For those of us who actually have experience with AOSP and kernal development, it's not that difficult.
    No, I'm not a developer but I'm not stupid either. I say it can't be done on the Priv and nothing you say will convince me otherwise Mr. developer.
    Al moon likes this.
    11-17-15 08:51 PM
    Are you saying that you can install xposed on the priv? Including modules like xprivacy?

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    11-18-15 11:30 AM
    I'm calling BS on this post! The original post is full on inaccuracies or I dare say.... flat out lies!

I've never had an app fail to work if a permission is turned off. Why? Because Marshmallow spoofs the data. Prime Example: Facebook app (no not 3rd party FB apps). It has close to a dozen permissions. I turned them all off. It still works as expected.

You can go into Settings and force stop an app. Then if you want, you can disable Google built in apps if you want. I did it with Google +, Chrome, Google Play Games, Google Play Music, Hangouts, Messenger, and Photos.

Okay, you can disable Google Play Services too. But yes a lot of apps won't work cause it needs it. But then again, if you don't need GPS, then why buy an Android phone, BB10 will do the job as a smartphone.

XDA website has additional tool and help for setting up Android phones to increase privacy, but again at the cost of many apps not working. Again, see BB10.

I also installed the app called OS Monitor. It monitors incoming and outgoing data by app. Everything is as I expected.

I sideloaded AdGuard. No rooting required. NO ads, saves on data consumption too.

Finally on BB10.... there is no DTEK app available for BB10. How do we really know what or if apps on a BB10 device is not mining data? How can you tell? Yea, just relying on "reputation".
    gabbleratchet likes this.
    11-18-15 12:20 PM
    Still waiting for you to explain to people here at CrackBerry how to do this. I'm sure they would love to know. How about going to XDA forums and starting a thread on how to do it too. Seems like you just disappeared after making that incorrect post.
    11-18-15 03:09 PM
    No, I'm not a developer but I'm not stupid either.
    OK.

I say it can't be done on the Priv and nothing you say will convince me otherwise Mr. developer.
    No point in arguing with you then.
    cdavisunlimited likes this.
    11-18-15 03:55 PM
    OK.

No point in arguing with you then.
    Exactly. "I don't know anything about Android development, but I'm still going go give an uneducated opinion and never change my mind". That's pretty much why I haven't continued with this silly conversation.
    11-18-15 06:58 PM
    I think you need to be more specific on how you define "privacy". Privacy and Security can be found at the Hardware level (and BlackBerry DID provide features at this level), it can be found at the kernel level (Again, BlackBerry DID provide features at his level), it can be found at the storage level (i.e. encrypted database/external SD cards which the Priv offers), Application level (this falls more inline with what you referenced about Marshmallow's app restrictions, and BlackBerry put DTEK in place for a short term notification level solution), data transmission level (i.e. encrypted texts/phone calls/ emails/ etc. Which Blackberry offers in conjunction with their BES suite, and many one off applications provide in the Play Store. On a side note, if hardware Man in the Middle attacks like stingray are introduced, your data will be available to governments or third parties no matter what you do), and User level security(this is more at the kernel level but I separate it out in my mind. And depending on who you listen to - like the Copperhead team - BlackBerry may not have done any work here outside of how the standard Linux kernel handles things).
    Stingrays and fake towers tries to force you onto their tower in 2G, which has basically no encryption for calls at all. You could explicitly disable 2G in the mobile network settings on the Priv.
    11-18-15 07:53 PM
    Well now I'm really confused as to what you're trying to accomplish other than trolling. You make statements like "Cyanogen has privacy" and then when I suggest installing Cyanogen's specific application security framework you say "no that's not secure", even though you just said it was secure when used with Cyanogen?
    Cyanogen give you the option to grant apps root access, which means that they have to have extra code to handle those cases. So aside from exploits that is currently not public / not known, they have an extra attack surface for a hacker to attempt to breach.

Android keeps their apps in their own sandbox. So an app may leak data if they did not secure their content providers (unless they intend to let other apps access to it). Or a hacker need to elevate permission to something with lots of permission, or outright root. Paring down on the kernel helps limit the exposure.

There's no computer program that is hack-proof, nor would the Priv be completely hack-proof (nor Blackphone, or CopperheadOS, etc etc). Security and usability is pretty much in a constant battle - Security can be heightened by only running what you need, keeping the code simple, and audit it, and have tools to help mitigate certain class of attacks. Usability can mean making it easy to share data between apps, making it easy to take videos of "the kid's hockey game and sending it to grandma". That means you'll need a lot more code, many of which needed to be written in C / C++, and generally the more code you've got, more likely there's a bug that can be exploited.

Privacy in this case could be making sure that apps don't go nuts with getting access to your sensitive data. Suppose the quick settings drop down doesn't have flashlight, most flashlight app need access to the camera to turn on the flash at the back. You'd have to accept that it has access to those permissions. What DTEK offers is a way to monitor which app is using what permission, and how often it uses it. If a flashlight app started using your camera like a thousand times in a week, maybe something's up with the app.

None of this is an absolute, nor are these feature free. In order for something like Google Now / Google maps to prompt you that your normal commute has traffic, it's not just getting that data from some site. It claims to use anonymized data to a) find out where you frequent, and b) how fast that traffic is moving. Whether you're comfortable with that, that's very much up to you.

From the sounds of it, OP is better off not using a phone at all.
    11-18-15 08:11 PM
    Exactly. "I don't know anything about Android development, but I'm still going go give an uneducated opinion and never change my mind". That's pretty much why I haven't continued with this silly conversation.
    You haven't continued because you are a fraud. Look, I'm going to ask you one more time. How do you install Xposed and Xprivacy on the Priv? I have asked you 2 times before this time and you dance around like you are a know it all but avoid the question. Stop acting like a politician and give me an answer or you were just making stuff up to look like some kind of big shot.
    I mean really??? If it could be done it would be all over the forums. So put up or shut up.
    11-18-15 10:26 PM
    Hey you guy's that are sticking up for cdavisunlimited, the guy made a claim that you could install Xposed on the Priv right now and I called BS. The guy refuses to answer how he claims it can be done and you guys are not calling him out on this? He should not be spreading FUD and needs to stop acting like a big shot.
    11-18-15 10:31 PM
    Android is a very open and sometimes dangerous system I believe blackberry has a hand on the security.

Posted via CB10
    Yet terrorist consider it over Blackberry listing Blackphone as most secure phone followed by iphone and oem with Android and zero mention of BB. We now know why.
    BlackBerry believes in encryption backdoors - believes it's good for business
    11-19-15 09:58 PM
    BlackBerry does not protect your privacy on the Priv. That was a marketing gimmick. DTEK tells you about all the privacy leaks after the fact. So What!! It does nothing to help you stop any of it.
    I agree with the OP. The Priv is no better than any other android device when it comes to privacy. Sure, BlackBerry secured the boot sector and the kernel so rooting will be impossible but that's it. There are other OEM phones that have yet to be rooted also.
    Sorry, but android isn't and never will be private. Google will always be sure to keep it that way. BlackBerry trying to sell what they claim to be a private version of android is nothing but fraud.
    Who needs rooting when Blackberry provides a backdoor. Read the news lately?
    11-19-15 10:03 PM
    Who needs rooting when Blackberry provides a backdoor. Read the news lately?
    What back door? Thru said if presented a warrant they will comply.
    11-19-15 10:07 PM
    Yet terrorist consider it over Blackberry listing Blackphone as most secure phone followed by iphone and oem with Android and zero mention of BB. We now know why.
    BlackBerry believes in encryption backdoors - believes it's good for business
    Wow, Thanks for the article. Well, Glad I moved on to Apple. Didn't want to but with BlackBerry going android and now reading this article, Glad I did.
    11-20-15 07:43 AM
52 123