I had a lot of bad things to say about the S6, all of them valid based on my experience with the device. Marshmallow rolled out yesterday for T Mobile's model. It. fixed. everything.

Battery life is monumentally improved, the phone flies through animations and switching between apps. Simply put, the phone operates flawlessly, exactly as I expected when I spent $580 on a flagship.

All is not forgiven, and this will still be my last Samsung phone. They took a wildly unreasonable amount of time getting this update out to carriers. Out-of-the-box, this phone was shamefully flawed. As dramatic of an improvement as MM has brought, it's too little, too late for Samsung and I.

The relevance to these boards is, the Priv sitting at home will be dusted off when MM rolls out. If it has half the effect on the Priv as it did the S6, people are going to be very happy. In the future, a priority for me will be getting phones that will receive timely updates. If the next Nexus 5-style phone is premium, I may be leaning in that direction. Unless, of course, the Classic Droid rolls around
    Matt J likes this.
    04-13-16 07:58 AM
    I really had no issues the two weeks I was using Lollipop on my Droid Turbo 2.... when Marshmallow came, I really didn't notice any difference. There were a number of issues right after it installed, but after reading some suggestions on Android Central I did a factory reset and all has been good.

But I will say that from day one I had disabled some of the Motorola apps and much of the Verizon bloatware and was using Nova Prime launcher. Last two weeks I've been using Cobalt's solution to run the *PRIV's apps and launcher... still pretty stable. I'm glad that your S6 is working better, but not sure if it will a cure or make things worse. You'll find lot's of complaints over on Android Central. I would suggest that if anyone has problems... do a factor reset.

*To get the PRIV apps to work, you must go in and manually enable all app permissions for each BlackBerry app you choose to install.... and it seems doing a reboot requires you to go back and do it again.
    oakakaemmy and rebel1804 like this.
    04-13-16 08:48 AM
    Well shoot, Dunt, now you've scared me and am making me rethink participating in the Marshmallow Beta.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android on my Priv
    04-13-16 09:19 AM
    And yet I have had no problems running the older software that came with my Galaxy A5. Strangely enough the only laggy app on my Samsung is CrackBerry.

Posted via CB10
    04-13-16 09:25 AM
    I really had no issues the two weeks I was using Lollipop on my Droid Turbo 2.... when Marshmallow came, I really didn't notice any difference. There were a number of issues right after it installed, but after reading some suggestions on Android Central I did a factory reset and all has been good.

But I will say that from day one I had disabled some of the Motorola apps and much of the Verizon bloatware and was using Nova Prime launcher. Last two weeks I've been using Cobalt's solution to run the *PRIV's apps and launcher... still pretty stable. I'm glad that your S6 is working better, but not sure if it will a cure or make things worse. You'll find lot's of complaints over on Android Central. I would suggest that if anyone has problems... do a factor reset.

*To get the PRIV apps to work, you must go in and manually enable all app permissions for each BlackBerry app you choose to install.... and it seems doing a reboot requires you to go back and do it again.
    Sounds like Motorola made a better phone off-the-line that Samsung did. Some phones are in more desperate need of more major issues than others. For me, the upgrade is like night and day.
    04-13-16 10:41 AM
    I had a lot of bad things to say about the S6, all of them valid based on my experience with the device. Marshmallow rolled out yesterday for T Mobile's model. It. fixed. everything.

Battery life is monumentally improved, the phone flies through animations and switching between apps. Simply put, the phone operates flawlessly, exactly as I expected when I spent $580 on a flagship.

All is not forgiven, and this will still be my last Samsung phone. They took a wildly unreasonable amount of time getting this update out to carriers. Out-of-the-box, this phone was shamefully flawed. As dramatic of an improvement as MM has brought, it's too little, too late for Samsung and I.

The relevance to these boards is, the Priv sitting at home will be dusted off when MM rolls out. If it has half the effect on the Priv as it did the S6, people are going to be very happy. In the future, a priority for me will be getting phones that will receive timely updates. If the next Nexus 5-style phone is premium, I may be leaning in that direction. Unless, of course, the Classic Droid rolls around
    It might be that Samsung streamlined their TouchWiz interface. It was always quite clunky, but the new version seems to be streamlined from what I have gathered. Probably more a function of Samsung themselves than marshmallow

Posted via the CB App for PRIV
    Dunt Dunt Dunt likes this.
    04-13-16 10:46 AM
    It might be that Samsung streamlined their TouchWiz interface. It was always quite clunky, but the new version seems to be streamlined from what I have gathered. Probably more a function of Samsung themselves than marshmallow

Posted via the CB App for PRIV
    While TW has definitely been cut back, streamlining TW wouldn't result in a 40% battery increase.
    04-13-16 11:01 AM
    I have the S6 and the battery life is horrific. Lollipop is a complete flop. When I was running 5.0 it was ok, but when I updated to 5.1.1, the battery life got worse. I was fed up so I got the S7. WAY better battery life thanks to Marshmallow and a larger battery. Touchwiz is definitely cleaner when you compare it to the S3, S4 and S5...and I had them all. IMO, Jellybean and Kitkat were much better improvements over Lollipop.
    So for those who are still on the fence about the Priv, it will get better when it's updated to M. And I'm sure even better when Android N is released.
    Thanks to Samsung who accidentally revealed the version number. LOL.
    04-13-16 05:57 PM
    I don't know, my wife has an S6 edge and after she updated to M her battery died even faster, apps stopped working, and at random she complained about things that make no sense to me. Long story short the phone eventually bricked and we are now on her fifth S6 edge. Before it bricked I have to say I'm not an Android fan but I couldn't tell the difference at all between L and M. Is there anything beside some app permissions that have changed in regard to the surface? Certainly a lot of code changed in the back.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    04-13-16 07:52 PM
    I have the S6 and the battery life is horrific. Lollipop is a complete flop. When I was running 5.0 it was ok, but when I updated to 5.1.1, the battery life got worse. I was fed up so I got the S7. WAY better battery life thanks to Marshmallow and a larger battery. Touchwiz is definitely cleaner when you compare it to the S3, S4 and S5...and I had them all. IMO, Jellybean and Kitkat were much better improvements over Lollipop.
    So for those who are still on the fence about the Priv, it will get better when it's updated to M. And I'm sure even better when Android N is released.
    Thanks to Samsung who accidentally revealed the version number. LOL.
    No way the Priv gets N
    04-13-16 11:33 PM
    No way the Priv gets N
    That's only if BlackBerry decides not to update it to N. The Priv is more than capable of handling Android N.
    04-14-16 11:02 AM
    That's only if BlackBerry decides not to update it to N. The Priv is more than capable of handling Android N.
    Outside of Apple, I'm not aware of any phone that has gotten two OS version upgrades from its stock OS version.
    04-15-16 09:12 AM
    Outside of Apple, I'm not aware of any phone that has gotten two OS version upgrades from its stock OS version.
    Nexus 4 runs 5.1.1 now. It launched with 4.2.
    Galaxy S3 went from 4.0 to 4.4 on some variants
    Original BB10 devices are up to 10.3. from original 10.
    04-15-16 09:27 AM
    No way the Priv gets N
    Place your bet..
    Sigewif likes this.
    04-15-16 09:37 AM
    That's the problem with Apple. Same looking OS for 8 years. Have they put Apps store together with iTunes yet ?

Posted via my PRIV
    04-15-16 10:15 AM
    MM fixed my Priv too

If you liked this post, you can now find more like this by following me on Twitter @MeerAdrie
    04-15-16 12:33 PM
    Nexus 4 runs 5.1.1 now. It launched with 4.2.
    Galaxy S3 went from 4.0 to 4.4 on some variants
    Original BB10 devices are up to 10.3. from original 10.
    You know I'm referring to full upgrades, i.e. Lollipop to Marshmallow to N, as could be inferred by the comment I was responding to.
    04-15-16 01:03 PM
    You know I'm referring to full upgrades, i.e. Lollipop to Marshmallow to N, as could be inferred by the comment I was responding to.
    Those ARE full upgrades.

Android History:
    4.0 = Ice Cream Sandwich = API 14
    4.2 = Jelly Bean = API 17
    4.3 = Jelly Bean = API 18
    4.4 = Kit Kat = API 19
    5.0 = Lolipop = API 21
    5.1 = Lolipop = API 23.

If just because the first digit doesn't increment and it's not a full version, then Mac OS X never got upgrades when it went from 10.0 to 10.11.
    wirelessgal likes this.
    04-15-16 01:15 PM
    Although API level is a technical standard, I think if you polled AC you'd find that they consider a phone upgraded when the naming convention changes not the API level.
    04-15-16 01:37 PM
    My Galaxy Note 3 went from Jelly Bean to Kit Kat to Lolipop (Still have it and use it as a channel changer with the Peel app because it has an IR blaster
    04-15-16 03:50 PM
    I'm inclined to believe that MM fixes a lot of things on the priv too.

04-15-16 03:59 PM
    I know I'm going off topic here, but Android N is looking really goooooood!!! Now that I got a taste of M, I want N. Yes I`m greedy.
    I hope the Priv gets N because the mid-range devices that BlackBerry plans on releasing will most likely come with Lollipop or Marshmallow. I think maybe M because I do not like Lollipop at all. Ruined my S6.
    04-15-16 04:21 PM
    I'm inclined to believe that MM fixes a lot of things on the priv too.

It does

If you liked this post, you can now find more like this by following me on Twitter @MeerAdrie
    04-15-16 04:33 PM
    I know I'm going off topic here, but Android N is looking really goooooood!!! Now that I got a taste of M, I want N. Yes I`m greedy.
    I hope the Priv gets N because the mid-range devices that BlackBerry plans on releasing will most likely come with Lollipop or Marshmallow. I think maybe M because I do not like Lollipop at all. Ruined my S6.
    Every phone released from blackberry and 80% of other makes from now will be marshmallow.

04-15-16 04:38 PM
    Every phone released from blackberry and 80% of other makes from now will be marshmallow.

Not the low end phones and there`s more than 20% of low end phones than mid to high end phones.
    04-15-16 05:08 PM
30 12