Does anyone know why the Priv is particularly running warmer than other phones with the same processor?

If I'm youtubing on the Priv the phone gets warm, sometimes hot.

I just streamed 2 hours of hockey on my G4 and it's normal, no heat, not even warmth.

Like I have to shut off location services, background app data, and other things just to optimize the Priv when I don't have to do anything on the G4.

#qwerty #glassweave #darkhorse
    11-12-16 08:15 PM
    Does anyone know why the Priv is particularly running warmer than other phones with the same processor?

I just streamed 2 hours of hockey on my G4 and it's normal, no heat, not even warmth.

Like I have to shut off location services, background app data, and other things just to optimize the Priv when I don't have to do anything on the G4.

Its obviously due to the back of the phone material. Its a material that doesn't dissipate heat as great as metal or glass does. Also the design of the phone itself being a slider makes all the internals tight so it is as if you are feeling the heat directly from the cpu.
    bluesqueen23, Spinal and Jrox74 like this.
    11-12-16 08:41 PM
    The case also has an affect. I was a using the Seidio case for a while and could not believe how much hotter the phone was versus an oem hardshell or leather flip case. Ended up returning it.
    11-17-16 09:02 PM

Trying my best to resist the temptation to upgrade from the hot / throttling 808 on the Priv, to the better efficiency of the 820 on the DTEK60. Long and short is that the 808 and 810 set back chipset development at least one full cycle. The 808 being a slightly dumbed-down version of the 810 which is well known for its heating/throttling issues.

My friend's LG G4 (also based on the 808) also had heating issues.

I was very annoyed at my Priv for throttling/throwing heat warning messages during a crucial video capture time during my vacation in Disneyworld. One of my captured stills was distorted quite severely in a wavy pattern. This has been my one and only occurrence of the warning message - unfortunately during a crucial time. This has made me consider the DTEK60 (pm me if you'd like me to show what I mean). Speakerphone also sucks balls.

I am reluctant otherwise to part with the Priv considering the full price I paid and that I do think it looks and feels really nice in my hand.
    Last edited by ajwan; 11-18-16 at 12:14 PM.
    11-17-16 10:55 PM
    Trying my best to resist the temptation to upgrade from the hot / throttling 808 on the Priv, to the better efficiency of the 820 on the DTEK60. Long and short is that the 808 and 810 set back chipset development at least one full cycle. The 808 being a slightly dumbed-down version of the 810 which is well known for its heating/throttling issues.

I was very annoyed at my Priv for throttling/throwing heat warning messages during a crucial video capture time during my vacation in Disneyworld. One of my captured stills was distorted quite severely in a wavy pattern. This has been my one and only occurrence of the warning message - unfortunately during a crucial time. This has made me consider the DTEK60 (pm me if you'd like me to show what I mean). Speakerphone also sucks balls.

I am reluctant otherwise to part with the Priv considering the full price I paid and that I do think it looks and feels really nice in my hand.
    I have had only one, maybe two occasions where the Priv heated up. I attribute it to one app going a little bonkers and that a reboot fixed it up. But then some folks report heat more regularly. Check the battery app and see if you pin down a bad app or process.
    11-18-16 08:56 AM
    My priv is always hot ,

Never a time comes when it's cool unless it's left alone.

Basic tasks and it reaches 37 .

I just got used to it now I guess,
    Attached Thumbnails The Priv's SD808 and heat-63623.jpg  
    bigedschukar likes this.
    11-18-16 10:05 AM

This is what I mean about those wavy patterns caused by the heat/throttling.The Priv's SD808 and heat-img_20161031_1303509.jpg:
    Literally groovy (but not what I was looking for)!
    Last edited by ajwan; 11-18-16 at 12:30 PM.
    11-18-16 12:14 PM
    This is what I mean about those wavy patterns caused by the heat/throttling.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20161031_1303509.jpg 
Views:	164 
Size:	274.8 KB 
ID:	412470:
    Literally groovy (but not what I was looking for)!
    I believe there was a thread about this issue. I think one of the BB employees suggested it was a hardware issue and the phone should be replaced. But I could be wrong.
    11-18-16 05:27 PM
    My priv is always hot ,

Never a time comes when it's cool unless it's left alone.

Basic tasks and it reaches 37 .

I just got used to it now I guess,
    I have a priv manufactured October 30 2015. It ran hot all the time until 2 weeks ago when I totally reset and wiped the phone.

After the wipe, the phone runs cool - I have yet to feel it get hot even during app updates. And my battery is waaaaayyyyy better. Like easily 4x better.

I think there was a bug in whatever way I the early OS was loaded. If anyone is having heat or battery problems I recommend a wipe. It's a pain but well worth it.
    mkiiw likes this.
    11-18-16 07:25 PM
    While the 808 is notoriously warm Runner, the SD 810 runs much hotter.

I've pushed my Priv hard, and since the MM update, I've never noticed heat issues.
    11-18-16 09:10 PM
    While the 808 is notoriously warm Runner, the SD 810 runs much hotter.

I've pushed my Priv hard, and since the MM update, I've never noticed heat issues.
    I think this has a lot to do with the types of apps you've got running in the background. If you're using a lot of social media which is constantly fetching for updates, the phone will get hot.
    11-19-16 11:25 AM
    I think this has a lot to do with the types of apps you've got running in the background. If you're using a lot of social media which is constantly fetching for updates, the phone will get hot.
    BlackBerry started to throttle the CPU also because of the heat. You can see this at work when you get the "your phone is running too hot" notification.
    11-19-16 11:51 AM
    I believe there was a thread about this issue. I think one of the BB employees suggested it was a hardware issue and the phone should be replaced. But I could be wrong.
    Even if you are correct, BlackBerry has no Priv's for warranty replacement. Haven't had for over two weeks, they have no idea when or if they will have them.
    11-20-16 05:50 AM
    I really wish they would just replace that 808 and re-release it with a FullHD screen instead of qHD, would buy it immediately.

Posted via CB10
    11-20-16 06:24 AM
    After the wipe, the phone runs cool - I have yet to feel it get hot even during app updates. And my battery is waaaaayyyyy better. Like easily 4x better
    What's the temperature you'd get for running normal tasks like browsing with chrome?

btw "way better" means how many hours of SOT?
    11-20-16 12:31 PM
    BlackBerry started to throttle the CPU also because of the heat. You can see this at work when you get the "your phone is running too hot" notification.
    I've luckily never got that notification for me. The bigger issue is the running hot causing excessive battery drain.
    11-20-16 02:26 PM
    What's the temperature you'd get for running normal tasks like browsing with chrome?

btw "way better" means how many hours of SOT?
    Yes, SOT would be good.
    11-20-16 04:02 PM