BB isn't Apple, or Samsung, or even Motorola. I'd bet they don't have the resources to pay up-front to get everything set up for a simultaneous global launch anymore, and probably haven't for a while (or perhaps the management/BoD is putting limits on the hardware division).
    You're right, they only have $3 billion cash in the bank...
    10-24-15 08:57 PM
    You're right, they only have $3 billion cash in the bank...
    As has been addressed many times, that is a small amount of money for any company trying to compete globally in this industry.

Plus, Chen is unlikely to want to risk even 10% of that sum on the smartphone business since he will need cash to grow the parts of the business he actually cares about.
    10-24-15 09:15 PM
    COO said carriers don't even have device yet and this is just preorders for the fanatics with more marketing on the way. It's still not traditionally launched yet.

I think his words were along the lines of "don't worry, there's more".

Take that for what you will.

 Posted in CB10 from my amazing SQUARE OG Passport 
    10-24-15 11:12 PM
    It's so frustrating when a company has so many chances to get it right and they constantly screw it up! It just boggles the mind

Posted via CB10
    Like the Blue Jays and Maple Leafs.
    jope28 likes this.
    10-24-15 11:28 PM
    COO said carriers don't even have device yet and this is just preorders for the fanatics with more marketing on the way. It's still not traditionally launched yet.

I hope not more ghosts in the shower and strangers in the park....

Posted via CB10
    10-24-15 11:57 PM
    Perhaps it's time for the fans to create the marketing?

Posted via CB10
    10-25-15 06:54 AM
    Like the Blue Jays and Maple Leafs.
    Lmao
    Too soon, too soon.

 Frosty White Q10/10.3.2.2789 CB10 
    10-25-15 11:41 AM
    Unreal..no word about At&t and T-mobile launch...guess they never learn. How do they expect to move units if the US Carriers are left behind?
    10-25-15 03:09 PM
    Was the BlackBerry Priv, launched? I'm yet to see an advert on telly..
    10-25-15 03:11 PM
    Unreal..no word about At&t and T-mobile launch...guess they never learn. How do they expect to move units if the US Carriers are left behind?
    Do you think BlackBerry just makes a new device and tells the carriers they *have* to carry them? Both parties have to agree and those details take longer than BlackBerry being able to sell their new device on their own website. Or are you saying they shouldn't sell anything until they get U.S. carriers on board? Think about it.
    10-25-15 05:48 PM
    Was the BlackBerry Priv, launched? I'm yet to see an advert on telly..
    Nope, not launched yet for you. You're general public. You're likely to see something once your local region gets the PRIV.
    10-25-15 05:49 PM
    This isn't the Priv launch. That comes November 6th. BlackBerry is giving hardcore fans a chance to get the phone ahead of the official release date. I thought people would be excited about being able to get the phone ahead of everyone else.

If BlackBerry had launched the phone and not had it available everyone would be screaming and calling BlackBerry a failure. But we have the chance to get the phone now and people complain. Oh boy, BlackBerry folks sure are a weird bunch. Enjoy the fact that you can preorder!!! If Apple had a preorder available, iPhone fans would be excited. Good lord, people.

Posted via CB10
    JanuarJaguar likes this.
    10-25-15 05:53 PM
    It's still incredible how disturbing and horrible the Superbowl ad was. No marketing sense at this company back then or now. Funny thing is that Chen seemed to have marketing savvy early on in his tenure -- at least in front of the camera.
    10-25-15 06:03 PM
    This isn't the Priv launch. That comes November 6th. BlackBerry is giving hardcore fans a chance to get the phone ahead of the official release date. I thought people would be excited about being able to get the phone ahead of everyone else.

If BlackBerry had launched the phone and not had it available everyone would be screaming and calling BlackBerry a failure. But we have the chance to get the phone now and people complain. Oh boy, BlackBerry folks sure are a weird bunch. Enjoy the fact that you can preorder!!! If Apple had a preorder available, iPhone fans would be excited. Good lord, people.

Posted via CB10
    Problem is that the media fills the void in the lack of information and misinformation, just like they did with the $750 US price and comparing it to other devices without appreciating the differentiating factors of the PRIV. If BlackBerry doesn't control the messaging, then the media will... and when the media seems anti-BB, this is not a good result. BlackBerry should do a proper launch, control the messaging and introduction of the device and build some enthusiasm among consumers that can put pressure on carriers to release sooner than later.

Passport on AT&T
    10-25-15 06:14 PM
    Interpret this, then:

Will the Moto X Pure Edition get T-Mobile WiFi Calling with Android 6.0? - Android Forums at AndroidCentral.com

Pay attention to the last two posts.

Now read this:

Android 5.1.1 w/ support for WiFi calling to begin rolling out to T-Mobile Nexus 6 this weekend | 9to5Google

Same guy from T-Mobile: Des.

So, it's on a handset-by-handset basis for T-Mobile. It depends on whether or not the handset developer worked with T-Mobile for the feature. It's not solely the underlying version of Android.

The feature doesn't exist until and unless it exists.

It has traditionally been the case that wifi calling was available only on phones sold by T-Mobile, phones that were branded by them and SIM-locked to them. That is changing, but it is NOT the case yet that any old handset running Android 5 or 6 is "automatically" enabled for T-Mobile's wifi calling.
    Your posts and these scenarios are out of date. T-Mobile now lets WiFi calling to work on any phone that allows it.

With the latest update, my SE Passport works on T-Mobile WiFi calling. Obviously it's not a T-Mobile device and they didn't work with T-Mobile on getting WiFi calling to work.

This "working with T-Mobile" you mention is no longer required. T-Mobile allows any phone that has built in WiFi calling to work for it's customers.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    10-25-15 06:47 PM
    Did you skip post #62? COO, which stands for Chief Operating Officer, the guy in charge of day-to-day operations, says there's more to come.

BlackBerry has been criticized in the past for taking too long between announcement and product availability. The complaint right now is that it's available *right now for pre-order with ship date* without an announcement. Well, there's a reversal and people are complaining! The current announcements have been for those who signed up for more info on the PRIV, on BlackBerry's blog, and on Twitter, avenues which are only monitored by BlackBerry fans. BlackBerry fans are, thus, the intended audience, not the general public. There will most likely be a general public announcement when the carriers have it in stock. As far as the general public is concerned, they'll learn about it and be able to check it out immediately. My bet is when this comes to pass, none of you self-appointed "marketing geniuses" will still have a clue as to what happened.
    Oh I'm no marketing genius. I hate and know nothing about marketing. I'm just saying that the excuse that the event hasn't taken place because the phone hasn't shipped doesn't seem like a reasonable one.

Most launch events are when preorders start, is all I'm saying.

10-25-15 06:50 PM
    All of which leads right back to the original question: will Priv have wifi calling for T-Mobile users right out of the box, or will it require extra work alongside T-Mobile, and maybe offering it via T-Mobile, for t-mo users to have that feature?

Right now the answer is "we don't know". And we won't know until it gets out into the wild and someone throws a t-mo SIM into it and tries it.

The feature doesn't exist until and unless it exists. That's all we can say.
    It will work.

10-25-15 06:51 PM

OK I'll wait.

10-25-15 06:54 PM
    Your posts and these scenarios are out of date. T-Mobile now lets WiFi calling to work on any phone that allows it.

With the latest update, my SE Passport works on T-Mobile WiFi calling. Obviously it's not a T-Mobile device and they didn't work with T-Mobile on getting WiFi calling to work.

This "working with T-Mobile" you mention is no longer required. T-Mobile allows any phone that has built in WiFi calling to work for it's customers.

Can you post a direct and explicit reference for that information?

I don't believe it to be true.
    10-25-15 08:11 PM

Posted via CB10
    +1

Posted via CB10 on my Z10
    10-25-15 08:11 PM
    Hmm, I suppose BlackBerry is allowing pre-orders before launch, but that's not typically how it�s done. Usually, there's the launch announcement to tell people why they should order and what they�ll be getting, then the preorder phase, then delivery. I have to believe that BlackBerry simply can�t afford or organize all the moving parts, so they simply have no choice but to have these weird, piecemeal, poorly supported rollouts.
    10-25-15 11:42 PM
    Don't we all know the pattern by now? Chen will not spend a dollar on marketing. (Maybe $10K on banner ads to Crackberry users.)

Posted via CB10
    10-26-15 12:39 AM
    Can you post a direct and explicit reference for that information?

I don't believe it to be true.
    Believe what you want, but tell me why is WiFi calling working seamlessly on my SE Passport, a phone that T-Mobile has, for all intents and purposes, never touched? They've never carried it, branded it, or sold it, in any capacity whatsoever. Yet WiFi calling works perfectly. Because it's baked into the OS. If it's baked into the Priv OS, it will work on T-Mobile.

I think Lollipop natively supports WiFi calling without carrier builds. Not sure though. Marshmallow certainly does, as there are NO carrier specific builds.

So believe what you want. Don't buy the phone now if you want to be cautious. Or buy and return if it doesn't work (it will). Or buy and wait for Marshmallow.

That said, if T-Mobile actually does release the Priv, you can be pretty much assured it will work.

10-26-15 05:08 AM
    Hmm, I suppose BlackBerry is allowing pre-orders before launch, but that's not typically how it’s done. Usually, there's the launch announcement to tell people why they should order and what they’ll be getting, then the preorder phase, then delivery. I have to believe that BlackBerry simply can’t afford or organize all the moving parts, so they simply have no choice but to have these weird, piecemeal, poorly supported rollouts.
    They know that their is a very small group of people that will buy whatever BlackBerry slaps their name on. They are probably hoping for another word of mouth campaign like they were with BB10 and having the base "Sell Like Hell".
    10-26-15 08:36 AM
    I too think there will be more to this "launch"..... They pulled the Simulator, haven't give Reviewers the green light to post their reviews.... but I do agree that pre-orders shouldn't have started without out the launch.

At this point, one they launch it, I don't know how much more a new agency could say unless they too have a review to post. Specs are out, Prices are out... it's becoming "old news".

As for the "launch".... really just need a press release at this point and give everyone the OK to post those reviews. No "side show" type event where Chen and company just make things look more boring.....
    10-26-15 09:01 AM
153 ... 34567