Why would there be a launch event for pre-orders when the phone itself will not ship until Nov. 6th? Logic dictates launch event = ship date.

I mean, hey let's have a party for a phone that no consumer will see for another 2 -3 weeks. Right, okay.
    What are you talking about? Every launch event is weeks before the phone is available. iPhone, Nexus, Samsung, etc. They're all right at the moment preorders open up.

Did you really not realize that?

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    techvisor likes this.
    10-23-15 09:44 PM
    I'm willing to buy it outright, but I absolutely need a unit built for T-Mobile--complete with its wifi calling built in.

On the other hand, I don't want a T-Mobile unit that requires that all software updates/upgrades be run through T-Mobile.

If I have to buy a unit that gives up T-Mo's wifi calling, then I won't buy a unit that costs this much.
    You're joking, right? You know that WiFi calling is built right into the OS on Android Lollipop and BB10 10.3.2.27XX, right? You need nothing from T-Mobile except to turn on the feature.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    10-23-15 09:51 PM
    Interpret this, then:

Will the Moto X Pure Edition get T-Mobile WiFi Calling with Android 6.0? - Android Forums at AndroidCentral.com

Pay attention to the last two posts.

Now read this:

Android 5.1.1 w/ support for WiFi calling to begin rolling out to T-Mobile Nexus 6 this weekend | 9to5Google

Same guy from T-Mobile: Des.

So, it's on a handset-by-handset basis for T-Mobile. It depends on whether or not the handset developer worked with T-Mobile for the feature. It's not solely the underlying version of Android.

The feature doesn't exist until and unless it exists.

It has traditionally been the case that wifi calling was available only on phones sold by T-Mobile, phones that were branded by them and SIM-locked to them. That is changing, but it is NOT the case yet that any old handset running Android 5 or 6 is "automatically" enabled for T-Mobile's wifi calling.
    Troy Tiscareno and techvisor like this.
    10-23-15 11:43 PM
    I thought Chen was a smart guy, I'm really not sure which direction he's heading with this...
    By releasing a phone hardly anyone knows about? Go figure...

Just because a dude wears glasses doesn't make him smart.

Posted via CB10
    10-23-15 11:57 PM
    You can't convince me that not having a launch event is a good thing. Have a smaller one in San Fran or New York, where the tech press is, unveil the cool features like the hub on android, slider, capacitive keyboard, etc. Should be more then enough to show, then the tech writers write about what they saw, free press. I hope at least they are sending review units to the top tech sites so reviews come in whenever the NDA is over, free press again and any bit helps these days.
    rai187 and jonwb like this.
    10-24-15 12:10 AM
    lol @ "#ItRunsTheGoogleGate"
    10-24-15 01:24 AM
    By releasing a phone hardly anyone knows about? Go figure...

Just because a dude wears glasses doesn't make him smart.

Posted via CB10
    I don't think anyone ever implied that because he wore glasses be was smart..
    10-24-15 02:03 AM
    It was appropriate hence the name priv-ate.. so hss hss lol
    Regardless I ordered one!
    10-24-15 02:13 AM
    That way.... (points and rotates in a circle)
    10-24-15 02:34 AM
    I was going to point out that the Z30 may have been the worst launch ever at least in the US. But even if that's true, the Priv launch is still worse when you think about how much time they've had to learn from their mistakes.

Chen really sucks. He has to go. But I think this is it guys. We are sinking on the titanic and Chen is telling the band to keep playing music to cover up the screams of the drowning passengers.

Z30STA100-5 / 10.3.2.2789 / T-Mobile USA
    10-24-15 03:04 AM
    What are you talking about? Every launch event is weeks before the phone is available. iPhone, Nexus, Samsung, etc. They're all right at the moment preorders open up.

Did you really not realize that?
    Did you skip post #62? COO, which stands for Chief Operating Officer, the guy in charge of day-to-day operations, says there's more to come.

BlackBerry has been criticized in the past for taking too long between announcement and product availability. The complaint right now is that it's available *right now for pre-order with ship date* without an announcement. Well, there's a reversal and people are complaining! The current announcements have been for those who signed up for more info on the PRIV, on BlackBerry's blog, and on Twitter, avenues which are only monitored by BlackBerry fans. BlackBerry fans are, thus, the intended audience, not the general public. There will most likely be a general public announcement when the carriers have it in stock. As far as the general public is concerned, they'll learn about it and be able to check it out immediately. My bet is when this comes to pass, none of you self-appointed "marketing geniuses" will still have a clue as to what happened.
    DJBS4LIFE likes this.
    10-24-15 04:52 AM
    Interpret this, then:

Will the Moto X Pure Edition get T-Mobile WiFi Calling with Android 6.0? - Android Forums at AndroidCentral.com

Pay attention to the last two posts.

Now read this:

Android 5.1.1 w/ support for WiFi calling to begin rolling out to T-Mobile Nexus 6 this weekend | 9to5Google

Same guy from T-Mobile: Des.

So, it's on a handset-by-handset basis for T-Mobile. It depends on whether or not the handset developer worked with T-Mobile for the feature. It's not solely the underlying version of Android.

The feature doesn't exist until and unless it exists.

It has traditionally been the case that wifi calling was available only on phones sold by T-Mobile, phones that were branded by them and SIM-locked to them. That is changing, but it is NOT the case yet that any old handset running Android 5 or 6 is "automatically" enabled for T-Mobile's wifi calling.
    Yep. Initially, only BlackBerry phone models sold by T-Mobile get Wi-Fi Calling, like the Z10 and Q10. The latest BB10 release, 10.3.2.2789, along with T-Mobile's blessing, have allowed all BB10 phones to have Wi-Fi Calling with a T-Mobile SIM.

AT&T just switched on Wi-Fi Calling for iPhone 6s/6s+, a feature Apple touted *last year* for the iPhone 6 launch. It's only available for AT&T-branded iPhones 6s/6s+, not the 6/6+. T-Mobile and Sprint have already allowed Wi-Fi Calling with iPhone 6/6+ on their network, which kinda shows that having it in the OS is only one part of the equation.
    10-24-15 05:04 AM
    Yep. Initially, only BlackBerry phone models sold by T-Mobile get Wi-Fi Calling, like the Z10 and Q10. The latest BB10 release, 10.3.2.2789, along with T-Mobile's blessing, have allowed all BB10 phones to have Wi-Fi Calling with a T-Mobile SIM.

AT&T just switched on Wi-Fi Calling for iPhone 6s/6s+, a feature Apple touted *last year* for the iPhone 6 launch. It's only available for AT&T-branded iPhones 6s/6s+, not the 6/6+. T-Mobile and Sprint have already allowed Wi-Fi Calling with iPhone 6/6+ on their network, which kinda shows that having it in the OS is only one part of the equation.
    All of which leads right back to the original question: will Priv have wifi calling for T-Mobile users right out of the box, or will it require extra work alongside T-Mobile, and maybe offering it via T-Mobile, for t-mo users to have that feature?

Right now the answer is "we don't know". And we won't know until it gets out into the wild and someone throws a t-mo SIM into it and tries it.

The feature doesn't exist until and unless it exists. That's all we can say.
    10-24-15 08:26 AM
    Did you skip post #62? COO, which stands for Chief Operating Officer, the guy in charge of day-to-day operations, says there's more to come.

BlackBerry has been criticized in the past for taking too long between announcement and product availability. The complaint right now is that it's available *right now for pre-order with ship date* without an announcement. Well, there's a reversal and people are complaining! The current announcements have been for those who signed up for more info on the PRIV, on BlackBerry's blog, and on Twitter, avenues which are only monitored by BlackBerry fans. BlackBerry fans are, thus, the intended audience, not the general public. There will most likely be a general public announcement when the carriers have it in stock. As far as the general public is concerned, they'll learn about it and be able to check it out immediately. My bet is when this comes to pass, none of you self-appointed "marketing geniuses" will still have a clue as to what happened.
    I don't know what people have complained about before or what BUT.... this release (if you can call it that) has been an absolute circus. I don't really think people wanted a launch event so that they could have the Apple like launch event, people just wanted to know what was being released, how much, when to expect it, etc.

To release the phone before having an official announcement about it is really amateur. Its a slap in the face to the BB hard core fans (which I am not), to the share holders, and to potential customers. No body has a clue what is going on here, either the customer or BB. And when you are running a business, you don't do that to your customers. Its been real fun to watch this unfold, but frustrating as hell too!
    10-24-15 08:35 AM
    It seems like most are getting worked up prematurely. If the COO is to be believed, this was a soft-launch with a hard launch planned with carrier release:

Attachment 377182
    This is what I imagine as well. This feels more like a quiet-ish soft launch for those that are actively paying attention/asking about it.

You guys do realize this is a pretty risky endeavor for BlackBerry,.. plus, having a huge launch party hasn't helped them in the past (lol).

Posted via CB10
    cbvinh likes this.
    10-24-15 08:39 AM
    They have such nice COLOR photos of the Priv, why don't they use them on ad-sense? Does someone at crackberry have a contact to the marketing director at bb, please give them a heads up. I'm willing to send them some ad designs for free...Also their website looks like it was designed in 1999. Please Blackberry, I love you, but you need help.
    10-24-15 10:14 AM
    They have such nice COLOR photos of the Priv, why don't they use them on ad-sense? Does someone at crackberry have a contact to the marketing director at bb, please give them a heads up. I'm willing to send them some ad designs for free...Also their website looks like it was designed in 1999. Please Blackberry, I love you, but you need help.
    You're not getting it... they don't want success.

BlackBerry 2015 = Stealing defeat from the jaws of victory!

Posted via CB10
    Doggerz likes this.
    10-24-15 11:35 AM
    You have sneak peak ads all over the place giving glimpses of the phone and OS and features to gather interest.

I hope there is a big campaign coming if not then its just the same ol shi t .

time will tell
    10-24-15 11:41 AM
    They are getting free press. Fortune is saying the pricing is insane.
    everything is over priced they still sell q5's for $250 are they on some bad crack
    10-24-15 12:12 PM
    I don't know what people have complained about before or what BUT.... this release (if you can call it that) has been an absolute circus. I don't really think people wanted a launch event so that they could have the Apple like launch event, people just wanted to know what was being released, how much, when to expect it, etc.

To release the phone before having an official announcement about it is really amateur. Its a slap in the face to the BB hard core fans (which I am not), to the share holders, and to potential customers. No body has a clue what is going on here, either the customer or BB. And when you are running a business, you don't do that to your customers. Its been real fun to watch this unfold, but frustrating as hell too!
    When Heins was in charge, BlackBerry launched BB10 devices with press/fan events held at a few locations around the world. It was lavish and probably expensive to execute. The devices were available shortly after, /but/ only in those few locations. Countries like the U.S. didn't get the devices until months later, if at all. The complaint was that BlackBerry needed to have launches where devices would be available within a week or two of launch. The argument was that lavish launches were pointless if the luster of the event wore off before the devices became available.

So far, BlackBerry has only made announcements to people registered for the PRIV updates, BlackBerry's Inside blog, and on Twitter of a few BlackBerry employees. The *full* specs, price and shipping date are on BlackBerry's online store. This is enough info for people who are fans to pre-order. These are the fans that already trust BlackBerry to make a product worthy of their dollars on blind faith. For everyone else, including fans doubtful of BlackBerry's capabilities, the general public launch has yet to happen. BlackBerry needs to get the ducks in a row - ship devices to carriers, prep carrier reps, ready an advertising campaign, etc. and finally do a general public launch. The general public will hear the announcement and devices will be immediately available for trial and purchase. This is what some people here have been asking for.

The only reason you're seeing bits and pieces and getting frustrated is because you're seeing the process take shape. Things don't happen overnight. If you were an Apple fan and weren't happy with the 6s/6s+ and waiting on the 7, then watching the rumors and leaks would become tiring and frustrating. It'll be a year before anything materializes.
    DJBS4LIFE and anon4226395 like this.
    10-24-15 01:21 PM
    I join you all in stating my shock that BlackBerry 's launch of their new Android phone is sooo underwhelming. They need not only to showcase their new phone but also demonstrate why it is so much more secure than others. Show confidence. Show leadership. All is lacking. No need for pizazz and overkill like Apple launch, but demonstrate value and confidence in their future. It's incredible really that BlackBerry think people will just inform themselves.

Posted via CB10
    10-24-15 01:30 PM
    Telus, via Twitter stated that the launch date is November 6th, and cannot talk able the device until then..

Edit: why the he'll can't BlackBerry just say pre-order now and Launch Nov 6. Not that effing hard, is it?

Posted via CB10
    10-24-15 01:32 PM
    I remember last year when Blackberry did preorder first in Jakarta, indonesia at 28th April 2014. Then the blackberry Z3 official launch event at 14th May 2014. Maybe they do the same thing like blackberry Z3 event
    cbvinh likes this.
    10-24-15 01:47 PM
    you're annoying. go away.
    You really don't like annoying people? Surprise surprise.
    10-24-15 03:53 PM
    Telus, via Twitter stated that the launch date is November 6th, and cannot talk able the device until then..

Edit: why the he'll can't BlackBerry just say pre-order now and Launch Nov 6. Not that effing hard, is it?
    It may well be that the Priv will launch on different dates in different countries and/or carriers. BB's distribution is limited right now, and we've seen that the CDMA versions haven't passed through the FCC in the US (yet).

BB isn't Apple, or Samsung, or even Motorola. I'd bet they don't have the resources to pay up-front to get everything set up for a simultaneous global launch anymore, and probably haven't for a while (or perhaps the management/BoD is putting limits on the hardware division). Anyway, unless you are launching almost everywhere at the same time, it isn't always the best choice to have a big launch event.
    cbvinh and AnimalPak200 like this.
    10-24-15 04:10 PM
153 ... 23456 ...