$23 a year is expensive?

Posted via CB10
    10-24-15 02:15 PM
    It's like $23 a year for the Cloud Services, and the phone is over $600. So it costs like a few cups of Starbucks for a year.

Posted via CB10
    ...And whatever you think your data are worth. If they are worth nothing, than you are correct.

But look at this week's debacle at the Talk -Talk company in the UK and what happened to some of the bank accounts of people whose data were hacked.
    10-24-15 09:06 PM
    ...And whatever you think your data are worth. If they are worth nothing, than you are correct.

But look at this week's debacle at the Talk -Talk company in the UK and what happened to some of the bank accounts of people whose data were hacked.
    But these cases are not because of a lack of phone security. And even though Android has vulnerabilities, there haven't been device breaches or catastrophic identity theft reports. What exactly is everyone worried about? You are getting tracked every time you use your desktop, use a credit card, use insurance, etc.

posted via CB10
    Last edited by Emaderton3; 10-25-15 at 06:54 AM.
    10-25-15 06:27 AM
    But these cases are not because of a lack of phone security. And even though Android has vulnerabilities, there haven't been device breaches or catastrophic identity theft reports. What exactly is everyone worried about? You are getting tracked every time you use your desktop, use a credit card, use insurance, etc.

posted via CB10
    It's Google... that's why.

In the past 18 months or so, Google has surpassed Apple as the main "enemy."

I'd expect folks to be upset about any type of tracking, but that's not the case.
    10-25-15 08:28 AM
    It's Google... that's why.

In the past 18 months or so, Google has surpassed Apple as the main "enemy."

I'd expect folks to be upset about any type of tracking, but that's not the case.
    Exactly. Plus, given the number of Android phones out there, one is statistically much more likely to have a number of others things happen but aren't taking precautions (like getting in an accident or developing a disease).

Posted via CB10
    10-25-15 08:37 AM

So you are saying BES Cloud is not secure

Posted via CB10
    10-26-15 03:59 AM
    Ok that Talk Talk hack was nothing a secure phone could do a damned thing about. The people gave the thief the information by freaking voice not with a hacked phone or data

Posted via CB10
    10-26-15 04:05 AM
    So you are saying BES Cloud is not secure

Posted via CB10
    It could be hacked. It could be shared with the NSA.
    Afterall, hackers broke into the US DOD computers.
    The chance of someone hacking my Linux computers, which are rarely connected to the Internet, are much smaller.
    Why would they go after individual people to steal their data when they can focus on Google's or Apple's clouds where everyone's data are.
    It's much more efficient from a hacker's point of view.

Besides, memory is so cheap and light, your phone will be able to carry 2Tbytes of data in a year or two. You have the cloud in your pocket or in your phone and it only weighs a few grams. It is also much more secure in your pocket than duplicated all over the Web, in Google cloud or BES cloud.

Yes, i'd rather BlackBerry not have any access to my phone or data.
    I don't trust them either.

In 2011, during Lazaridis' time and the spat BlackBerry had with the Indian government, I watched an interview with Lazaridis on BBC. He claimed BlackBerry did not have the encryption keys to any user data or communication, therefore they could not share them with governments.
    That may have changed since BIS was not carried over to BB10.

It was Pierre Trudeau in the 1960's or 1970's who said that the government has no business in the bedrooms of the nation.
    Why should they, or Google, or BlackBerry have access to my phone data?
    Hopefully his son knows that quote....
    10-28-15 11:17 PM
    Ok that Talk Talk hack was nothing a secure phone could do a damned thing about. The people gave the thief the information by freaking voice not with a hacked phone or data

Posted via CB10
    I was referring to the security of "the cloud" and the danger of entrusting companies and even governments with your data...
    10-28-15 11:18 PM
    Exactly. Plus, given the number of Android phones out there, one is statistically much more likely to have a number of others things happen but aren't taking precautions (like getting in an accident or developing a disease).

Posted via CB10
    That's another reason I use only Linux and BB10. Less exposure to hacks due to much lower penetration of OSes. More work and wasted energy for the hackers. There are benefits to being in the less than 0.5%, not only financially speaking...
    10-28-15 11:21 PM
    $23 a year is expensive?

No, but I don't know the details of what it provides, and Blackphone comes with more flexible secure containers for free.

Also, $23 is for the "silver" service, the "gold" service costs more money. There are differences in capabilities, including some OS compatibility distinctions, I need to research this more.
    11-06-15 07:50 PM
    On BB10 at least "Silver" is sufficient to get you the second container.

I have not checked it with the more-recent Android devices.
    11-06-15 08:12 PM
    Omnitech, what's your take on priv's privacy features now that more details have come to light?

Posted via CB10
    11-07-15 04:23 AM
    Omnitech, what's your take on priv's privacy features now that more details have come to light?
    Disappointing, pretty much what it appeared to be when the first info leaked out.

I have however been pleasantly surprised with some of the productivity aspects of the device. (eg, they have added a long list of new features to Hub, along with a few missing BB10 features that will probably re-appear as long as they don't require UI hooks that are hard to replicate in Android, like pinch list filtering or left/right swipe gestures to toggle in/out of the Hub.)
    11-11-15 11:02 PM
114 ... 345