And I have a strong feeling that those apps will be overridden with BlackBerry apps when we unbox our Privs.
    I guess we'll see.

Samsung does that now with their hardware. They include the Gapps in a folder. You don't have to use them.

True. It may well be.

The whole OHA thing does force their members into providing Google's core apps, like Gmail, Google+, the calender, cloud syncing service, etc., but some manufacturers, such as Samsung, have provided their own versions of many of those apps. Because of that, Samsung phones tend to have apps doubled up. Lately, Google has lightened up on what apps are required (maybe because of the anti-trust investigation, I don't know).

And then, there is the Android for Work thing that probably has a different set of rules for its members. I called it Google for Work earlier, which there is such a thing, but Android for Work is what BlackBerry is part of - and it's still run by Google.

Also, as of this post, BlackBerry still does not show up in the current list of OHA members as either a manufacturer or a software provider.
    10-13-15 01:25 PM
    Jolla. Engineered in Finland.
    Looks interesting...will it work on AT&T in the US?
    10-13-15 02:28 PM
    Looks interesting...will it work on AT&T in the US?
    Based on forum posts on the Jolla website, Jolla phones reportedly do not yet work on 3G or 4G networks in the USA
    10-13-15 02:43 PM
    You people seriously don't get it, BB10 isn't going anywhere.

Posted via CB10
    Jahcure likes this.
    10-13-15 02:48 PM
    You people seriously don't get it, BB10 isn't going anywhere.
    No BB10 isn't going anywhere. It's staying pretty much where it is, mostly frozen in time, while the rest of the world moves on. Personally I'll stick with it as long as I can, but there won't be any new BB10 devices.

The PRIV and Android is BlackBerry's last shot at staying in the hardware business. John Chen made that pretty clear in his recent Code/Mobile interview.
    10-13-15 03:46 PM
    Since I have a bes cloud on my z10, would this change the privacy issues with the transfer to the Priv. I don't have any Droid experience with the bes service and I was interested in how it changes the question of what would be more private and secure

Posted via CB10
    10-13-15 04:01 PM
    Since I have a bes cloud on my z10, would this change the privacy issues with the transfer to the Priv. I don't have any Droid experience with the bes service and I was interested in how it changes the question of what would be more private and secure
    Since BES provides the security features that give you privacy, and BES is cross platform, it shouldn't matter whether you're on IOS, BB10, or Android.
    10-13-15 04:35 PM
    I wasn't talking simply Google Play Services and all that's associated with it... That can easily be isolated from the Silent OS... I'm talking Google Services as per how it presents itself in stock Android OS... Completely separate functionality... The way Blackphone incorporated Google Play is non-invasive and easily remedied for those like myself who want no part of it... This is why Chen essentially acknowledges the PRIV is slightly inferior to BlackPhone... The PRIV will still be using just a standard stock Android OS with some 'Built by BlackBerry' security features added to the mix... Still (as prior stated) 'balls deep in Google'... Herein lies the fallacy...

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    How do you know for sure the Google Play Services IS invasive on the Priv and how do you know THAT is why Chen said the Priv is slightly inferior to the Blackphone and that the Priv will be using a standard Android OS? Unless you were there building and testing the phone (which you may have, but certainly then would not be gushing al that info on a public forum at risk of your job) your comments are pure speculation and should compose your post accordingly. ''This is why Chen essentially (in my opinion) acknowledges the PRIV is slightly inferior to BlackPhone." There I fixed it for ya.

Posted via CB10
    10-13-15 06:28 PM
    The hardcore BB10'ers do not want to acknowledge this. They would rather spread their brand of FUD. Deep down they know their BB10 is dead or dying. Hell, I sure know from using my Z30. I'm just waiting for all the releases to settle down before I choose my next device (hint: no BB10).

What's left of the BB10 community are people loath to change. I've come to the conclusion that they themselves are dying. It's what happens in life if you stop growing and changing. You just basically wait for death to come instead of engaging life. In the end BB10 users are a true reflection of their own choice of OS.
    Agreed. Though I think BB10 is the superior OS over all, BlackBerry has to go into a direction where the money is. The previous management at BlackBerry ran this company into the ground. Plain and simple. Which ran the customer base off into the hands of apple and the android market. BlackBerry has to change with the times or be left behind. Though if the Priv is a flop, then I think hand sets for BlackBerry will be done with. I know I will be slammed for this but the very small amount of BB10 fanboys have no bearing on what Chen does and never will. Even is Chen made the most perfect phone that all BB10 fanatics all agreed on and all said 100% would buy the phone, still would be miles and miles short of making the hand set business profitable. There is not enough of us to make a difference. The damage has been done and the company has to go in a different direction. Now I don't think BB10 phones are going to disappear. Chen even explained this. He said that the hand sets are critical for end to end security. But he also said that is the hand sets are not profitable and if he can secure, say android to the level of BB10 he would consider dumping the hand set business all together and just secure other phones. People have to listen to what is going on and quit speculating on stuff. Especially when they speculate on something that Chen has already said in the opposite.

Posted via CB10
    Shadowyugi likes this.
    10-13-15 06:45 PM
    Agreed. Though I think BB10 is the superior OS over all, BlackBerry has to go into a direction where the money is. The previous management at BlackBerry ran this company into the ground. Plain and simple. Which ran the customer base off into the hands of apple and the android market. BlackBerry has to change with the times or be left behind. Though if the Priv is a flop, then I think hand sets for BlackBerry will be done with. I know I will be slammed for this but the very small amount of BB10 fanboys have no bearing on what Chen does and never will. Even is Chen made the most perfect phone that all BB10 fanatics all agreed on and all said 100% would buy the phone, still would be miles and miles short of making the hand set business profitable. There is not enough of us to make a difference. The damage has been done and the company has to go in a different direction. Now I don't think BB10 phones are going to disappear. Chen even explained this. He said that the hand sets are critical for end to end security. But he also said that is the hand sets are not profitable and if he can secure, say android to the level of BB10 he would consider dumping the hand set business all together and just secure other phones. People have to listen to what is going on and quit speculating on stuff. Especially when they speculate on something that Chen has already said in the opposite.

Posted via CB10
    Well said. At least the Priv will have some of our favorite BB10 features, so why not support it if you plan on switching.

Posted via CB10
    10-13-15 07:22 PM
    Unless we don't want to switch to Android, but what other options would really be satisfactory anyway.

Posted via CB10
    bakron1 and Shadowyugi like this.
    10-13-15 08:05 PM
    Then you should probably eliminate Microsoft too, as they seem to be quickly copying Google's business model. Have you tried Windows 10 yet? Snoop city. And to make matters worse, a bunch of things are done "under the hood" without any notice or documentation or control by the user.

There are some things you can do to subvert some of that, but the general direction they are traveling with their platforms is obvious.

Which is really funny, because less than two years ago they had a whole anti-Google ad-campaign revolving around the concept of being "scroogled", which was, in part, a reference to having Google snoop on everything you do..

Microsoft?s Scroogled Ad Campaign Appears To Be Working | TechCrunch
    Microsoft's Scroogle Ads and Mark Penn: | The New Republic
    What phone to get then?
    Or computer?
    10-13-15 11:11 PM
    No BB10 isn't going anywhere. It's staying pretty much where it is, mostly frozen in time, while the rest of the world moves on. Personally I'll stick with it as long as I can, but there won't be any new BB10 devices.

The PRIV and Android is BlackBerry's last shot at staying in the hardware business. John Chen made that pretty clear in his recent Code/Mobile interview.
    The costs of maintaining two OSes will have the tendency to get out of control, at the moment BB has to do this because BB10 has all of the government security clearances or certifications Android does not. Chen stated on the Code/Mobile interview that there will be two more updates to BB10 that will update BB10's security certificates for the enterprise/government market. His long term plan for Android and BB10 is to influence Google's development of Android towards BlackBerry's implementation of security and add more of BB10's features into Android that in the long term would cause BB10 and Android to "merge" only then would BB10 be retired. So what this means IMHO is that for the consumer market BB10 is for all intents "dead."
    10-14-15 03:26 AM
    Again, no definitive word on if BlackBerry is actually part of the OHA.

It could be a separate deal that is part of the Android for Work initiative that both BlackBerry and Blackphone are a part of with Google.

Posted via CB10
    Historically Google has used the OHA agreement in their own words as a blunt instrument to keep the OEMs in line so whether or not Blackberry has signed onto the OHA or Android for Work Initiative, or some other agreement it's a given that Google will still require its analytics core to be tightly integrated into the process.
    10-14-15 03:40 AM
    Again, no definitive word on if BlackBerry is actually part of the OHA. ...
    An no indication of that the OHA is still relevant in 2015.
    10-14-15 10:18 AM
    An no indication of that the OHA is still relevant in 2015.
    Relevant enough to get BlackBerry to toe the line. Even Samsung has to kowtow.
    10-14-15 12:28 PM
    That would be encouraging if true (that Blackberry will make secure versions of Contacts, Browser, Email and other apps that are isolated from Google's ad-profiling).

But it's a little concerning that BlackBerry have not been forthcoming with details about what will actually be on the Priv. If the Priv is truly going to be available in November and supported by carriers, one would think that details of the software build would have been frozen by now, so that devices could be given to the carriers for testing...
    BlackBerry's replacement apps will still integrate with your Google account at least with the contacts. All the contacts you create in BlackBerry's Contacts app will be created in your Gmail account as well. I'm not sure if this would be true for calendar and remember.

If you hope BlackBerry has somehow solved the data mining I'm afraid chances for that to be true are like 0.1% but I hope I'm wrong.
    10-15-15 04:02 AM
    BlackBerry's replacement apps will still integrate with your Google account at least with the contacts. All the contacts you create in BlackBerry's Contacts app will be created in your Gmail account as well. I'm not sure if this would be true for calendar and remember.

If you hope BlackBerry has somehow solved the data mining I'm afraid chances for that to be true are like 0.1% but I hope I'm wrong.
    What if you don't have a Gmail account?

Posted via CB10
    10-15-15 06:57 AM

Let's use the contacts and dialer apps as an example.
    When I select a contact in the contacts app and select call, it passes the phone number to the dialer app. Google doesn't know about that phone number. It's being passed between the two apps.
    The contacts apps that you see in the PlayStore now integrate with Google contacts because they were designed to be that way. They are extensions of Google Contacts. There's nothing stopping a developer from creating an app from scratch that doesn't integrate with Google contacts.

Now, if someone decides to install another contacts app after the fact, well there's nothing that BlackBerry can do for you at that point.
    Hopefully, that's where Dtek, etc comes in and warns you that you are about to unPriv your phone by replacing a Priv app with another app.

I don't expect BlackBerry to keep Google from knowing where my Priv is (location services, etc), but I'm fairly confident that they can keep Google from knowing the phone number and address for a specific person as long as I put it in the 'right place.'
    10-15-15 08:33 AM
    I guess the only thing I'd really prefer (if it was possible), was if we could use how blackberry account for google play services instead...

Highly unlikely, but that will be a great gesture of goodwill from blackberry/google tbh.
    10-15-15 09:08 AM
    Let's use the contacts and dialer apps as an example.
    When I select a contact in the contacts app and select call, it passes the phone number to the dialer app. Google doesn't know about that phone number. It's being passed between the two apps.
    The contacts apps that you see in the PlayStore now integrate with Google contacts because they were designed to be that way. They are extensions of Google Contacts. There's nothing stopping a developer from creating an app from scratch that doesn't integrate with Google contacts.

Now, if someone decides to install another contacts app after the fact, well there's nothing that BlackBerry can do for you at that point.
    Hopefully, that's where Dtek, etc comes in and warns you that you are about to unPriv your phone by replacing a Priv app with another app.

I don't expect BlackBerry to keep Google from knowing where my Priv is (location services, etc), but I'm fairly confident that they can keep Google from knowing the phone number and address for a specific person as long as I put it in the 'right place.'
    Lets wait and see. If your Gmail account updates with contacts created through BlackBerry Contacts app then they are talking to each other which means data mining.
    10-15-15 11:20 AM
    Here's what's pre-installed on Nexus devices:
    I'm thinking that they would have to provide alternatives to all apps with an asterisk beside them in order to honestly claim that the Priv is helping you out with privacy concerns.

Android Pay
    Calculator
    *Calendar
    Camera
    *Chrome
    Clock
    *Contacts
    Downloads
    Drive
    *Gmail
    *Hangouts
    *Maps
    *Messenger
    *Phone
    *Photos
    Play Games
    Play Music
    Play Store
    Settings
    *YouTube
    10-15-15 12:10 PM
    How enlightening another Google hate thread.

so tell me again why Google is the anti-christ? I must have missed it in the other umpteenthousand threads on here about it.

Here's a novel idea. Don't want it ......... don't get it.
    10-15-15 12:59 PM
    How enlightening another Google hate thread.

so tell me again why Google is the anti-christ? I must have missed it in the other umpteenthousand threads on here about it.

Here's a novel idea. Don't want it ......... don't get it.
    I truly hope Google and BlackBerry don't merge or something similar. Can you imagine the emotional rollercoaster?
    Cynycl likes this.
    10-15-15 03:21 PM
    I truly hope Google and BlackBerry don't merge or something similar. Can you imagine the emotional rollercoaster?
    I'm calling it... within 2 years, Google buys them. Only makes sense, the synergy. BB has something Google wants (device security) and Google has something BB wants (platform to showcase their enterprise & device software). Unless MSFT buys them then never mind.
    10-15-15 04:11 PM
114 12345