This will more than likely bypass the secure boot and other checks BB has put into place:

Chainfire cooks up "systemless" Marshmallow root
    11-02-15 09:22 AM
    No it won't.

 вιaсĸвεггч ᕵαssρσяτ SE via CB10 (AT&T OS 10.3.2.2474)
    11-02-15 09:24 AM
    Rooting.... without rooting?

Interesting, but sound more like a theory he is working on rather than a solution that he is ready to release.
    11-02-15 09:26 AM
    This will more than likely bypass the secure boot and other checks BB has put into place:

Chainfire cooks up "systemless" Marshmallow root
    OR...
    The Priv's boot.img is locked, root doesn't take, and you've raised false hope for no reason.

What if the Priv's data partitons are formatted completely different than ext4 or f2fs, and they've secured the kernel to this Blackberry proprietary format? Bootloop.
    zephyr613 and anon(5990673) like this.
    11-02-15 09:29 AM
    Rooting.... without rooting?

Interesting, but sound more like a theory he is working on rather than a solution that he is ready to release.
    It's not theory, it's working. Can't say this DOESN'T work on the Priv, because the Priv isn't available yet.
    11-02-15 09:31 AM
    OR...
    The Priv's boot.img is locked, root doesn't take, and you've raised false hope for no reason.

What if the Priv's data partitons are formatted completely different than ext4 or f2fs, and they've secured the kernel to this Blackberry proprietary format? Bootloop.
    "There could be many benefits to this new approach. For one, a standard factory reset would remove the root. This is pretty interesting, because currently unrooting a device is a significantly more involved process. Also, this removes the risk of bricking your phone if you use the wrong kernel. Instead of bricking, and incorrect attempt at rooting with an unsupported kernel will simply fail to root the device. However, if youre looking to use this root on top of an older one, youll naturally need to reflash your stock /system partition before beginning."

The article states that the process would in a bootloop. Rather, if the root didn't take, it would just fail to root the device.
    Mecca EL likes this.
    11-02-15 09:36 AM
    OR...

Chainfire Releases Systemless Root For Android 6.0

So what benefits can we expect from a systemless root? We reached out to Chainfire, and the benefits of this over the traditional SuperSU include:

A cleaner approach and design
    Easier unroot
    An unlittered /system partition
    Excludes things like sugote, which are not needed on Android 6.0 Marshmallow
    OTAs are slightly easier now, as reflashing boot image is usually a lesser hassle than reflashing an entire /system.
    Most importantly, this does not soft brick your device if you do not have the correct kernel installation. Previous methods to root Android 6.0 required a SELinux policy patch in the kernel, without which, the device would not boot. With this method, if the supporting kernel is absent, you wont have root but the device will boot.
    Tre Lawrence likes this.
    11-02-15 09:37 AM
    You spelled "unlikely" wrong. He talks about modifying the boot image and the ramdisk.img
    Good luck getting to those on the Priv, let alone modifying them without the hardware detecting it and bricking it.

I'm also going to take a wild guess and assume Blackberry won't replace any phones that have the hardware locks tripped.
    11-02-15 09:42 AM
    Chainfire Releases Systemless Root For Android 6.0

So what benefits can we expect from a systemless root? We reached out to Chainfire, and the benefits of this over the traditional SuperSU include:

A cleaner approach and design
    Easier unroot
    An unlittered /system partition
    Excludes things like “sugote”, which are not needed on Android 6.0 Marshmallow
    OTA’s are slightly easier now, as reflashing boot image is usually a lesser hassle than reflashing an entire /system.
    Most importantly, this does not soft brick your device if you do not have the correct kernel installation. Previous methods to root Android 6.0 required a SELinux policy patch in the kernel, without which, the device would not boot. With this method, if the supporting kernel is absent, you won’t have root but the device will boot.
    The probability of there being any access to the kernel, which is the secure part of the Priv, is highly unlikely. Even if there is a slightest possibility of installing a custom kernel, we don't know what other checks are on device that will defeat even that from happening.

I've been reading the Chainfire thread for two weeks, anxious for any possibility of rooting the Priv. I'm with you, but I'm cautious about posting information like this, without actually knowing or having done any testing. Folks here will start asking a bazillion, unanswerable questions.
    Tre Lawrence and ppeters914 like this.
    11-02-15 09:52 AM
    That won't work as the boot image is part of the hardware/software chain of trust and will not flash and/or boot if it's not signed by BBRY (if you rebuild a new boot.img). And flipping bits in the boot image is going to fail the crypto hash check at boot time if you tamper it.

(see the hardware root of trust BBRY blog post - can't post a link since I'm too new yet!)
    11-04-15 12:01 PM
    The real question is, what type of syringe BlackBerry used to inject the hardware PIN. Get yourself one of those syringes and boom!

In all seriousness, we'll have to wait and see when the Priv comes out to know anything for sure. Hard to tell what EXACTLY BlackBerry did to this phone in order to know if any current root method including that one will work.

It IS an Android, but BlackBerry is pretty proud of it, so maybe they got it figured out pretty well.

Posted via CB10
    11-04-15 12:19 PM
    Grabbing popcorn for bricked Privs, when people try to load unsigned boot images on it.
    11-04-15 12:20 PM
    Here's my wish: the people who love to boast and crow on CB that this (Priv) android device will be rootable, and then look to XDA to do it within a week of release. Let's see you do it yourselves! Seriously. Those of you who like to equate rooting (or jailbreaking) with lack of security which equates to holding the plague is your hands.... do the rooting yourselves. Quit looking to XDA to do it like some entitled prince out to get even with the world cause BB10 is dying.

This crap is getting old. [it's a growing list of crap]
    11-04-15 12:28 PM
    Here's my wish: the people who love to boast and crow on CB that this (Priv) android device will be rootable, and then look to XDA to do it within a week of release. Let's see you do it yourselves! Seriously. Those of you who like to equate rooting (or jailbreaking) with lack of security which equates to holding the plague is your hands.... do the rooting yourselves. Quit looking to XDA to do it like some entitled prince out to get even with the world cause BB10 is dying.

Does it include your crap? A unrootable device is one side of security... but all phones are vulnerable when connected to the Internet.

Z30STA100-5/10.3.2.2639
    11-04-15 12:43 PM
    This won't work for Priv. I looked at the instructions. You need to flash a custom boot rom. Priv won't accept that because it won't be signed.

Posted via CB10
    -Puck- likes this.
    11-04-15 01:43 PM

Give it to 'em... I know I won't be trying. I also won't be getting one any time soon, but that's beside the point (VZ).

Posted via CB10
    11-04-15 02:19 PM
    Louks: It cannot be unlocked. As John Chen has said several times, we would not bring Android to a BlackBerry device unless we could do it securely. With Priv by BlackBerry, our goal is to ensure that users are safe and secured knowing that the phone cannot be tampered with.
    Louks: President of Blackberry Devices

BlackBerry's President of Devices on the Priv, Android, security and keyboards | Android Central
    11-04-15 02:23 PM