Samsungs come with too much bloatware...
    You are probable not going to like the BlackBerry bloatware if BBM for Android is any indication......

Have to hope that it is easy to remove any of the BlackBerry Experience that a "consumer" might not find a value in.
    DrBoomBotz likes this.
    10-07-15 01:46 PM
    Only true way to make money on hardware is either controlling the manufacturing process (aka Samsung) or getting solid volume deals (aka Apple). BlackBerry is neither. They NEED to sell X number of devices running Android to turn a profit (I have no clue what X is, but its in the millions). I believe the only way they will be able to do this is if they have pre-orders in place with companies/institutions. Consumers channels alone will not be sufficient.
    Chen said 5 Million was the magic number now... but not sure if that was PRIV sales alone or added to whatever BB10 sales will continue on for a while.

But I question how many "companies/institutions" will buy the PRIV early on. Most all will go through some sort of testing phase. And some will question BlackBerry commitment to now their 3rd os in as few a number of years. So I think that it will take time to see if the PRIV is a success... as I think BlackBerry key market is going to take their time and consider their options after BB10 sudden end before committing....

Stick with the lying scumbags at BlackBerry and see how long they'll support this Device and it's OS, or go ahead and join everyone else with the unicorns and candy canes using Apple and IBM for their business needs.....

So I think it will come down to the Fan Base (which is divided) and Consumers (who don't know BlackBerry exist), and how much everyone really desires a physically keyboard.

My negative views aside... I wouldn't be surprised to see a Passport 2 or a Classic 2 released not to soon after the PRIV. Especially if the BlackBerry experience works fine on lower end hardware... they'll need a "cheaper" option with the keyboard for those that want a BlackBerry keyboard but are more in the Cruiser, or even the PT Boat market.
    Allanon89 and undone like this.
    10-07-15 02:06 PM
    I think way too many people here are underestimating Priv success possibilities. Regardless, Chen would not be able to make any business argument for making any further BB10 devices. 99% of smartphone users don't want BB10.

Posted via CB10
    10-07-15 03:31 PM
    Only true way to make money on hardware is either controlling the manufacturing process (aka Samsung) or getting solid volume deals (aka Apple). BlackBerry is neither. They NEED to sell X number of devices running Android to turn a profit (I have no clue what X is, but its in the millions). I believe the only way they will be able to do this is if they have pre-orders in place with companies/institutions. Consumers channels alone will not be sufficient.
    Even if you control the manufacturing process you have to sell X units to at least cover R&D... but of course profits are much larger. Chen said they need to sell 5million Privs to break even. Blackberry 10 devices break even point was at 10 million to cover R&D from software, wich they dont have to do with Android
    10-07-15 08:54 PM
    what you mean with "there isn't money it that OS platform"? They are suposed to make money selling handsets, not sselling the OS. BB10 had to sell 10 million devices to break even, Priv with Android only has to sell 5 million to break even... That is money, because they have to spend less in R&D
    Who makes money selling Android hardware? Let's not count cheap Chinese versions.
    10-07-15 08:57 PM
    Who makes money selling Android hardware? Let's not count cheap Chinese versions.
    HTC? LG? OnePlus? Motorolla? Huawei? or are they doing charity and selling at a loss?

Jonh Chen already stated thay they have to sell 5 million Priv's to break even. After than it's all profit
    10-07-15 09:00 PM
    Keyboard. I want a keyboard.
    10-07-15 09:54 PM
    HTC? LG? OnePlus? Motorolla? Huawei? or are they doing charity and selling at a loss?

Jonh Chen already stated thay they have to sell 5 million Priv's to break even. After than it's all profit
    No it would not be all profit. 5 million is breakeven.

Posted via CB10
    10-09-15 09:13 AM

Ahh.

HTC: HTC unsurprisingly posted an operating loss in Q3 2015 - GSMArena.com news

LG: LG made 1.2 cents in profit for every phone it sold last quarter

One Plus: 500,000 OnePlus One Phones Sold Since Launch | Digital Trends

Motorola: Lenovo Says Motorola Will Be Profitable Within 18 Months | TechCrunch

Huawei: The don't release how profitable the mobile phone division is but I did find this quote.

"Huawei is facing increasing competition from Xiaomi, Lenovo and its Motorola brand, ZTE and OnePlus. Yet Yu said he thinks most low-cost vendors from China will likely die off in three to five years because their business models aren't sustainable in the long term. "There are too many brands in this industry," he said."

So they are at best breaking even and HTC will be gone before BlackBerry. You haven't been paying attention have you.
    10-09-15 10:33 AM
    Thanks for all your comments, I think if you think that USD 100 - USD 150 for an unlocked contract free BlackBerry Priv is too low then think about this.

How many of your friends & family members actually do a research & understand about the phone that they are going to buy before they actually pick it up? Most people rely on opinion & the opinion out there is "who wants to be caught dead using a BlackBerry unless it is forced upon them by their company " so most people will not even spend time for look at it.

Telco's will not be supporting it as it isn't popular to do so. They will most probably be pushing out iPhone as they have committed millions of units to Apple to just be able to sell this phone. Otherwise they will be left with a lot of dead stocks.

So the only target market that BlackBerry Priv is able to get will be those niche IT savy people who are also fans who will look at it & decide it is good for them. Then they will pick one up but this is probably about 1% of the market.

The other group that BlackBerry Priv is able to target would be those who just buy a phone for the price. These are the people who are currently going for the Xiaomi, Vivo & Lenovo or even Asus for that matter. So in order to compete for their attention they will have to price it as such.

Posted via CB10
    I think 1% of the Android Market is sufficient for BlackBerry to continue the handset business. BlackBerry should be able to sell 1 or 2 million devices a quarter at the very least. I could be wrong about that and just happy thinking. They'll most probably overprice it if they stay true to their history.
    10-09-15 12:32 PM
    Since now that BlackBerry will be releasing the Priv running Android I think it will be the last device from BlackBerry. The reason is ;

1. Why would anyone ever consider buying an Android device from BlackBerry? They have never been known to have the best spec's for any device & are always expensive.

2. If I'm getting an Android phone, I would definitely buy a Samsung. Why should I choose a BlackBerry & get ridiculed by friends & family for using a BlackBerry.

3. The only way that someone would be motivated to get an Android phone from BlackBerry would be if it is really cheap. I'm thinking of the price range of USD 100 - USD 150 for an unlocked & contract free device. Any price higher than that it will not be able to compete with the likes of Lenovo & Xiaomi.

4. With the launch of the Priv running Android BlackBerry now needs to compete in the category of the Lenovo, Xiaomi & Vivo that is sold bell the USD 150 range for an unlocked contact free device. How much money will this make for BlackBerry?

What do you think?

Posted via CB10
    This gloom & doom talk about BlackBerry is negative. Remember this saying, "Words manifest themselves..."

Kill yourself with that negativity!

 Z10 STL 100-3 with vitamin 10.3.2.2639 on AT&T
    10-09-15 12:44 PM
36 12