Went boating with my brother and my BlackBerry PRIV got soaked in water but to my surprise it is still working flawlessly.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    07-29-16 12:04 AM
    You might still want to stop using it for a while and either place it in a container of raw rice or a commercial desiccant to fully dry it out.
    07-29-16 12:35 AM
    This was on Sunday

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    07-29-16 07:42 AM
    Well that's good to know.

I'm scared to death to get mine wet. I've gotten other BlackBerry phones totally immersed and they worked after a day in a bag of rice or on a hot car dash. I didn't imagine Priv would survive any water.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android (Priv)
    07-29-16 08:08 AM
    You got lucky.

The problem with any high-density surface-mount device (that is, any cellphone) that gets wet is that there are voltages running around in the circuitry (especially in the transmit side) that are sufficient to destroy other parts of the circuitry, and as such a short through a conductive liquid is a catastrophic failure. Add to that the very fine-gauge traces on the board and you get to add the risk of a burnt trace from such an event too.

I'm quite surprised it survived; I'd stick it in a bag of rice for a couple of days powered off were I you, and consider yourself lucky. Even the so-called "waterproof" phones really aren't for this reason; conformal coating and alleged "sealing" helps but is not a panacea.
    artemis-kun likes this.
    07-29-16 08:16 AM
    My Priv has gone into the drink 3 times since I have had it and it always works fine afterwards. One of those times was muddy water and I rinsed it off with a bottle of water and surprisingly it is still perfect.

Isn't that why we get insurance anyway.
    07-29-16 08:27 AM
    You got lucky.

The problem with any high-density surface-mount device (that is, any cellphone) that gets wet is that there are voltages running around in the circuitry (especially in the transmit side) that are sufficient to destroy other parts of the circuitry, and as such a short through a conductive liquid is a catastrophic failure. Add to that the very fine-gauge traces on the board and you get to add the risk of a burnt trace from such an event too.

I'm quite surprised it survived; I'd stick it in a bag of rice for a couple of days powered off were I you, and consider yourself lucky. Even the so-called "waterproof" phones really aren't for this reason; conformal coating and alleged "sealing" helps but is not a panacea.
    Another thing to add to this excellent explanation is the quality of the water you end up in. If it's deionized, distilled water, it isn't likely to cause much trouble, so long as the above doesn't occur. What usually really wrecks electronics are the deposits within water that hasn't been purified. Those deposits end up on your main board or other circuitry, and sometimes those deposits are conductive enough that they will cause a short in the circuitry, and then there goes your phone.

Personally, I don't understand taking chances with my property, so I am beyond ridiculous when it comes to ensuring that my everything is safe and secured.
    07-29-16 09:13 AM
    A few weeks ago I was at a bbq. I pulled out my phone to show some photos and had to removed it from a ziplock baggie. Boy, did I get comments. But I take the phone on hikes and other outdoor pursuits and sometimes it is rainy/snowy and sometimes like my trip to Azores/Madeira I wanted it in my pocket. Well, I sweat a lot and it was very humid and on some days foggy. So, yes, it was in a plastic bag.

Also, frankly, I either keep it in a baggie or a micro-fiber pouch to keep the camera lens clean. The minor lint, dust, etc in a pocket or backpack pocket can really haze the lens and ruin pictures.
    artemis-kun likes this.
    07-29-16 11:00 AM
    Corrosion is eventually an issue.
    artemis-kun likes this.
    07-29-16 11:04 AM
    I hear ya mine went out putting on a armorsuit and the solution got under and the screen went out and in rice for a few days and works like a Priv
    07-29-16 12:20 PM
    Yep - it's actually the impurities in the water. Pure, deionized water has extremely low conductivity and leaves zero residue. Unfortunately all the water you encounter outside of a deionized bottle (whether in a cupboard or lab) is full of said impurities, and the utter worst is *salt water* (that includes sweat) as its conductivity is very high and the residue it leaves behind is also both conductive *and* corrosive.
    artemis-kun and FF22 like this.
    07-29-16 02:21 PM