Hello, fellow BlackBerry users,

I'd like to ask you for a few answers. I target them mostly to a ex/ BlackBerry Q10 users. How's Priv doing versus Q10 in these things?
    1) heating - on Q10 is generally quite a problem, but you have to use your device for a longer period of time (youtube or browser for example)
    2) general smoothnes - is the phone laggy a lot when browsing (Chrome or Firefox)?
    3) build quality: I've met few random Priv users in local subway, and I got really counterpart answers about this. Some agreeded on rattling screen and "softy" housing, others were perfectly fine.
    4) battery life: is Priv any better over the Q10?
    5) would you buy it honestly once again?

I've been wondering about this device for a longer time. It's really bad device any many aspects in my opinion, the keyboard is something I really don't want to pull out. I would have sticked with my Q10 for a long time (I love that little beast!), but so many services announced the end of operation, so I am slowly getting forced to upgrade. KeyOne is definitely not the way, it's far too expensive (not willing to pay so much for the phone, no matter what it is). Please, be as honest as you can, the matter of objectivity is my biggest desire about your answers. Thank you so much!

If anyone of you were in Prague on holidays and was interested to give a little talk about the BlackBerry, PM me, I'll give you a free hot chocolate on markets!

Posted via CB10 using my  Q10!
    04-16-17 02:34 PM

I'd like to ask you for a few answers. I target them mostly to a ex/ BlackBerry Q10 users. How's Priv doing versus Q10 in these things?
    1) heating - on Q10 is generally quite a problem, but you have to use your device for a longer period of time (youtube or browser for example)
    2) general smoothnes - is the phone laggy a lot when browsing (Chrome or Firefox)?
    3) build quality: I've met few random Priv users in local subway, and I got really counterpart answers about this. Some agreeded on rattling screen and "softy" housing, others were perfectly fine.

I've been wondering about this device for a longer time. It's really bad device any many aspects in my opinion, the keyboard is something I really don't want to pull out. I would have sticked with my Q10 for a long time (I love that little beast!), but so many services announced the end of operation, so I am slowly getting forced to upgrade. KeyOne is definitely not the way, it's far too expensive (not willing to pay so much for the phone, no matter what it is). Please, be as honest as you can, the matter of objectivity is my biggest desire about your answers. Thank you so much!

If anyone of you were in Prague on holidays and was interested to give a little talk about the BlackBerry, PM me, I'll give you a free hot chocolate on markets!

I would have expected you'd have had some answers but maybe Easter Sunday has occupied them.

I did have to the Q10 so can't compare. But I've not had any particular issues with my Priv. (it is the Verizon model in the US). On occasion it has gotten hot (maybe twice in a year) and a reboot fixed it. So some process probably got messed up.

I also don't have any noise or clicking problems from the screen/keyboard area, either opened or closed.

You can ignore the keyboard but then you have a Z30, I guess except Android. Many folks have adapted quite easily and use the physical keyboard mostly. There is a statistics page you can look at.

The KEYone is nice but might be too expensive for many people.

Hopefully, a Q10 user will answer, too.
    skrble likes this.
    04-16-17 07:59 PM
    I've generally been happy with my priv. The keyboard was a little stiff at first but over time has become more clicky. I use the pkb about 90% of the time.

The squishy back is an issue. I got an IMAK case and that took care of it and also adds a little more thickness to the device which I prefer.

My lower right screen clicks when open and will jostle around too when I don't have my case on.

Overall, I've been happy with the device and BlackBerry spin on the OS. I too was initially holding out to go from my Q10 to KeyOne but it just took too long and the priv has been priced right recently. So I'll wait a while to try the keyone when prices get a little better.
    skrble likes this.
    04-16-17 08:48 PM

I have been using the priv since the boxing day of last year.

1.Heating is not an issue for me.
    2. No real lags to speak of during everyday usage. There are some lags when I have to multi task using the GPS and other apps, but that is not that frequent.

3. My housing is fine but I did have some screen rattle issues. I had my first priv warrantied because of the issue but the second one also started rattling after a couple weeks. Since I don't have the time and an extra phone to use while my second priv is in the warranty. I decided to put some stickers behind the top of the slider to mitigate the screen clicking when the slider is closed. Now the screen barely clicks. With the screen clicking sound gone, I am happy with the build quality.

4. The battery life is about the same as a Q10.

5. Yes I would buy it again especially at the price of $400 cad which is what I paid for the Christmas sale. It is not worth it if it is any more than that.
    skrble likes this.
    04-16-17 09:11 PM
    I had a Q10 (still do, it sits in my desk) and I will say that aside from the OS, the 'issues' are very much the same lol.

1) Priv will get pretty warm playing games, i wouldn't say hot but i've checked the temp and its been around 44ºC

2) browsing for me i'd say is pretty good overall, maybe the odd stutter from time to time.

3) mine will click in the back sometimes, other times it won't. I've done the 'fixes' listed in the forums but the build quality is meh. But at least it never once had a double typing issue!

4) priv is leagues better for battery life

5) yes i'd buy it again. the minor annoyances aren't a big deal to me. Having a big screen, proper aspect ratio so web pages and other content load properly takes the cake. Also i love the touch enabled keyboard.
    skrble likes this.
    04-16-17 09:14 PM
    Thank you very much for all of your opinions. I think I shall buy one, if I can get it for a decent price (280 eur or so). As mentioned above, I don't think it has an any bigger value - but at that price would be all Priv's problems quite "acceptable". Thanks again

FF22 likes this.
    04-17-17 04:38 PM

I used to use a Q10. The Priv is an all around better device in my opinion.

1) My Priv really only heats up when I use Snapchat or Pokemon GO. Otherwise it's fine, especially after I updated to Marshmallow.
    2) The phone does hang a bit occasionally, but again, mostly only when I'm using Snapchat. The application is not optimized for the Priv at all, and it doesn't even support the physical keyboard perfectly.
    3) My first Priv (purchased in November 2015) had a creaky back cover. My second Priv (purchased in November 2016) seems to be built better. I have no issues with it. I'll explain why I bought a second Priv below.
    4) I think that the battery life on the Priv is exceptional. It has been a long time since I've used my Q10, so I can't really compare the two. I use my Priv heavily throughout the day (my screen has been on for 6 and a half hours today, but shouldn't all of us here on CrackBerry have an addiction like this?), and I can get through the day with maybe one and a half full charges. The Priv has Quick Charge 2.0, so I highly getting one of the special chargers that takes advantage of this feature. There are several for sale in the CrackBerry store. I can get an 80% charge in less than an hour.
    5) I would buy it again. I'm already on my second. I broke my first one after throwing it in the air while waving down an Uber after a party. The impact on the street left very little visible damage, but a horizontal center section of the digitizer no longer registered touch inputs. A screen replacement for the Priv is $250, and that doesn't even include labor to replace it. If you are rough with your phones, I highly recommend getting a case.

Also, I have never experienced any double typing issues with my Priv. I went through 4 or 5 different keyboards on the Q10 because of the issue. It will take time to get used to the Priv's keyboard, but after a week of adjustment, I was already typing on my Priv as fast as I could on my Q10.
    FF22 and skrble like this.
    04-17-17 10:30 PM
    I used to use a Q10. The Priv is an all around better device in my opinion.

1) My Priv really only heats up when I use Snapchat or Pokemon GO. Otherwise it's fine, especially after I updated to Marshmallow.
    2) The phone does hang a bit occasionally, but again, mostly only when I'm using Snapchat. The application is not optimized for the Priv at all, and it doesn't even support the physical keyboard perfectly.
    3) My first Priv (purchased in November 2015) had a creaky back cover. My second Priv (purchased in November 2016) seems to be built better. I have no issues with it. I'll explain why I bought a second Priv below.
    4) I think that the battery life on the Priv is exceptional. It has been a long time since I've used my Q10, so I can't really compare the two. I use my Priv heavily throughout the day (my screen has been on for 6 and a half hours today, but shouldn't all of us here on CrackBerry have an addiction like this?), and I can get through the day with maybe one and a half full charges. The Priv has Quick Charge 2.0, so I highly getting one of the special chargers that takes advantage of this feature. There are several for sale in the CrackBerry store. I can get an 80% charge in less than an hour.
    5) I would buy it again. I'm already on my second. I broke my first one after throwing it in the air while waving down an Uber after a party. The impact on the street left very little visible damage, but a horizontal center section of the digitizer no longer registered touch inputs. A screen replacement for the Priv is $250, and that doesn't even include labor to replace it. If you are rough with your phones, I highly recommend getting a case.

Also, I have never experienced any double typing issues with my Priv. I went through 4 or 5 different keyboards on the Q10 because of the issue. It will take time to get used to the Priv's keyboard, but after a week of adjustment, I was already typing on my Priv as fast as I could on my Q10.
    Wow! Nice to meet a next "screen-on-time" maniac! 6 and half hours sound very well, I had been getting it on my Z1 Compact and thought, that no other phone can get it again (due to the size adventage of that small Xperia). Once I got almost 9 hours of screen-on-time, but that was at the time when I watched M*A*S*H from my SD card, so it was basically idling on the lowest power consumption possible. 6+ is definitely a great score for such a big screen with 2k resolution.

Thanks a million! I think I'll be just checking all possible ways to get one (under 300 euros).

newcollector and CarGuy1368 like this.
    04-18-17 01:47 AM
    Hi,
    I think there might be other Q10 drivers who are considering to switch to a Priv, so I'll add a few of my opinions

You will really miss the compact size of the Q10. Priv is really a huge one, and with all great benefits it brings (reading news, browsing, readings PDFs or typing emails is just paradise!), I don't know if I'll keep it due to it's size.

I didn't believe that this phone really heats so much, my mistake. Once you've disabled few apps and features (productivity bar at least!), it becomes normal. Speed of the phone is the some story: disable unused apps, mainly productivity bar, and the phone will get fast enough for a normal use.

Keyboard: I haven't received a brand new unit, so the keys were little "clicky" just from the beginning. Brand new units I tried had keys which were harder to press and lacked almost any feedback. But still - even it becomes clicky after a while, don't think it gets any closer to Q10 or Q20 (which I think has the best kby). Keys are still hard to press. It's a real shame. My fingers get tired quite fast, as I have to "push to the phone" each time.

Battery life is decent and it doesn't exceed of 5-6 hours SOT. The battery is quite big, but the other part of this equation is that huge screen, which drains a lot. Generally, I think that Priv lasts quite more under the same usage as Q10, but can't be compared with Xperia phones in any way.

I would had written more if my thumbs weren't so exhausted If anyone had a question, feel free to ask, I'll try to answer as objective as I can.
    FF22 likes this.
    04-28-17 03:13 AM
    Two things that I was disappointed with the priv.

Build quality
    I was getting a cracking noise when holding the phone and when lightly pressing on the back cover, the noise was loud. I was able to fix this by opening my device and adding a small folded paper between the back cover and the battery. It's just a semi hard plastic that makes the cracking noise.

Overheating
    I only got the "cooling down" pop up twice since I got the device and I'm a heavy user. Both the times I got the pop up was when talking on the phone, Web browsing and google maps navigation. But the device gets hot in general, you just get used to it.

I got mine used at 330 cad last year so I can't really complain, it was a good deal but I would be pissed if I had paid the full price for it.

I really like the priv and I don't think that I will go for the KEYone soon because I need to be able to type silently. I rarely use the vkb but when I need it, it's there.
    FF22 likes this.
    04-28-17 09:32 AM
    4) I think that the battery life on the Priv is exceptional. It has been a long time since I've used my Q10, so I can't really compare the two. I use my Priv heavily throughout the day (my screen has been on for 6 and a half hours today, but shouldn't all of us here on CrackBerry have an addiction like this?), and I can get through the day with maybe one and a half full charges.
    How do you manage it to get so stunning battery life? I have 51 % left and just 2,5 hours SOT. I can get to 5 hours, but it means there is < 10 % battery left. This is quite a difference and I can't get the point of it. I disabled a lot of stuff that I don't use and which slows the phone down (Google app, Productivity bar, Device search and so on), but still, the battery just drains out in front of my eyes. I didn't care about it at Q10 at all, but it makes me quite unhappy with Priv... As long as Xperia Z1 Compact managed to get almost 9 hours SoT with it's tiny battery inside...

I tried to send you a PM, but it seems that there was some glitch, it wasn't sent at all.
    04-28-17 05:02 PM