Anyone here own a DTEK in addition to a Priv? I bought the priv because of the physical keyboard but find I use it little or not at all. I like turning the phone sideways and typing on the large keyboard plus I find the device is easier to hold that way.

I also find the Priv large and heavy, which is why I'm asking about DTEK's. Do the DTEK's feel about like the priv when holding sideways and typing?

What about weight, my Priv pulls my sweats down it's so heavy. Are the DTEK's noticeably lighter?

Lastly, I have an AT&T unlocked device which is full of bloatware that I would love to see gone, are the factory unlocked phones free of bloatware like say "Uber", "YP", etc...
    12-17-17 12:36 AM
    If you wanna type on glass and want a BB device, forget the DTEK's and get a Motion. Much more future proof buy.
    Wezard and pgg101 like this.
    12-17-17 05:07 AM
    Just about any decent phone can get pretty close to a BB with the BB apps. The only reason to get a BB is for the PKB, which the Dtek's and Motion lack.
    Qorax likes this.
    12-17-17 10:50 AM
    HHmm, let me check into that. I find myself using the physical keyboard very little, but like with speed dialing and getting the speech to text app going, it's sure nice to have those few times I need it...
    12-17-17 10:52 AM
    I got a manufacturer refurbished dtek50 at $150 cad from Staples for my girlfriend. I would say dtek50 still makes sense at the current price of $300 new, which is still half of what a Motion would cost.

Since I own a Priv myself, I can tell you what I like about both devices. I won't compare the spec sheets as you can do that yourself.

Dtek50 Positives:
    - The build quality is very good. the side aluminum rail feels very high quality.
    - It is lighter than my Priv, but I never felt that my Priv was uncomfortably heavy either.
    - The speaker is very nice! Easily better than my Priv
    - Even with a SD617, it does not lag. (My girlfriend does not game, it is strictly used for messaging and Web browsing).

The only real "CON" of the Dtek50 that I found were that you might notice moving from your Priv would be.
    - You cannot customize the system ui quick setting. (Edit: you can)
    - No picture password.

If you can live with those two, then Dtek50 would be a great buy for you. For me, the lack of picture password would be a deal breaker.
    Last edited by skstrials; 12-17-17 at 01:57 PM.
    12-17-17 10:59 AM
    As for Dtek60, they are still being sold for $500 to $600 new. At that price, just go for the Motion. It does not make sense to pick up the 60 over a Motion.
    Qorax and pgg101 like this.
    12-17-17 11:01 AM
    Thanks, but one quick question, we can customize the UI Quick setting on our Priv's? How do you do that?

Or maybe I shouldn't ask so I won't miss it if I go that route lol

- You cannot customize the system ui quick setting.
    12-17-17 11:35 AM
    Thanks, but one quick question, we can customize the UI Quick setting on our Priv's? How do you do that?

Or maybe I shouldn't ask so I won't miss it if I go that route lol
    Hold on the gear icon from the notification center for 5 seconds
    12-17-17 11:37 AM
    Is mine different or am I missing something, no matter how long I hold mine it seems to go to settings...

Also, I noticed none of these phones, DTEK or Motion have micro usb? Is that the wave of the future? It would mean buying all new car charges plus having multiple chargers (for headset, tablet etc...)
    12-17-17 11:51 AM
    Hey @Soapm so here is my take on the situation.

The DTEK50 & DTEK60 both perfectly functioning devices and will definitely meet your needs when it comes to typing on glass. They both have nice big screens and are certainly lighter than the Priv. So things are looking promising... however.

Both are likely to stay on Android 6.0 with no upgrade to Nougat. Both will have their security patches stopped sometime in 2018 (2 Years after launch) and a few stores have already discontinued them and stated that a direct replacement for them is the Blackberry Motion. (Clove Website)

Just going forward, Blackberry Mobile will support the Blackberry Motion a lot more than the DTEK devices. The Blackberry Motion however, is not a small device. So that might be something to consider. 😃
    12-17-17 01:09 PM
    Also, I noticed none of these phones, DTEK or Motion have micro usb? Is that the wave of the future? It would mean buying all new car charges plus having multiple chargers (for headset, tablet etc...)
    That's correct. USB Type C is the new standard going forward. 😃 There will always be issues during the transition phase but it's a good change. USB-C brings a lot of positives over the regular Micro-USB connection.

Just like Apple dropped all 'normal' USB ports in favour of USB-C ports.
    12-17-17 01:14 PM
    It's been a while, so I could be mis-remembering, but I think you have to turn developer options ON, before you can tweak the quick settings.
    If I'm wrong, be assured somebody will correct me real quick.
    12-17-17 01:29 PM
    It's been a while, so I could be mis-remembering, but I think you have to turn developer options ON, before you can tweak the quick settings.
    If I'm wrong, be assured somebody will correct me real quick.
    This must be what you're talking about, but I can't get it to work...

https://www.androidcentral.com/insid...ystem-ui-tuner
    12-17-17 04:25 PM