As we all know, BlackBerry also makes arguably the most efficient and useful keyboard especially for one handed typing due to the swiping feature and predictive text. I was hoping that the priv would get the blackberry keyboard as a built in app except with added emoji support due to it being an android. My only theory to back this is up simply my opinion on this keyboard's superiority and the fact that any BB10 with a physical keyboard has a suggestions bar at the bottom of the screen so I feel like they could incorporate that into the Priv's physical keyboard since it's touch enabled keyboard would allow for swiping on a certain area to swipe up a word. If the physical keyboard could do that it would make sense for them to have their own virtual keyboard. I hope it does, does anyone else agree or care or can you provide reasoning why google's keyboard would be better or even more reasoning to back up my virtual keyboard by BlackBerry theory? Let's discuss!

Posted via CB10
    Carmels and coloibarra like this.
    10-13-15 05:41 PM
    I've been wondering about the Priv virtual keyboard too. Can't recall seeing it in any leaked photos/videos.

Will it be similar to the BB10 keyboard? I hope so!
    The only reason I have some hope it will be same or similar to BB10 keyboard is previous comments from BBRY about releasing the BB10 keyboard to iOS & Android via the Productivity Suite, which is supposedly included with Priv.

I'd love it if the BB10 default font, "Slate" iirc, were included as default or at least an option too. I'm not a fan of the stock Android font.
    10-13-15 06:06 PM
    I've been wondering about the Priv virtual keyboard too. Can't recall seeing it in any leaked photos/videos.

Priv Virtual Keyboard-image-2015-08-30-10.38.59-am.png

Plus, you know.. there's a billion and one keyboard apps available on Google Play including SwiftKey which BlackBerry uses the API for enable the BlackBerry 10 keyboard.
    10-13-15 06:14 PM
    I didn't even consider the font but I'm assuming something at least similar would be available, I hope there's options to make the font bold or thinner, even if it sounds like an odd request

Posted via CB10
    10-13-15 06:15 PM
    I'm hoping we can change that though in the official version or maybe that the version of the priv in that picture has an older build of blackberry's version of Android that had the stock keyboard already. Just wishful thinking but still.

Posted via CB10
    10-13-15 06:16 PM
    I hope it has the BB10 swiping. Left to erase. Down to change to numbers. Up for predictive text.

Posted via CB10
    10-13-15 06:21 PM
    I watched a video that said the Google keyboard is better than swift key though and swift key still isn't close to the BB10 keyboard

Posted via CB10
    10-13-15 06:23 PM
    I watched a video that said the Google keyboard is better than swift key though and swift key still isn't close to the BB10 keyboard

Posted via CB10
    Don't you think you should decide something so subjective for yourself? And if SwiftKey isn't 'close' to the BB10 keyboard then I dunno what is. Is it exactly the same? Nope, but it's close. Again, BlackBerry uses their API for prediction and such mixed in with a bit of their own magic.
    MO3iusONE likes this.
    10-13-15 06:24 PM
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image 2015-08-30 at 10.38.59 AM.png 
Views:	3230 
Size:	427.3 KB 
ID:	375716
    Right, I forgot about those!

But the reason why I've forgotten about them was how old they are too. Some of the earliest leaked Priv photos. But the rumour mill said earlier test builds were vanilla Android at that time too. Again, rumours...

We know that the Priv's OS has seen several updates up to present, so I just wasn't sure if anything had changed.
    Can we swipe up words for example? Haven't seen anything yet that shows we can, so I'll assume not. (If we can, I'll be pleasantly surprised.)

More important to me than flicking words, I'd especially like to know if swipe to delete works on both vkb and pkb.

Plus, you know.. there's a billion and one keyboard apps available on Google Play.
    I know, I know...
    Rather have the original BB10 keyboard than actual SwiftKey, but I'm sure I'll survive either way.
    10-13-15 06:24 PM
    Right, I forgot about those!

But the reason why I've forgotten about them was how old they are too. Some of the earliest leaked Priv photos. But the rumour mill said earlier test builds were vanilla Android at that time too. Again, rumours...

We know that the Priv's OS has seen several updates up to present, so I just wasn't sure if anything had changed.
    Can we swipe up words for example? Haven't seen anything yet that shows we can, so I'll assume not. (If we can, I'll be pleasantly surprised.)

More important to me than flicking words, I'd especially like to know if swipe to delete works on both vkb and pkb.

I know, I know...
    Rather have the original BB10 keyboard than actual SwiftKey, but I'm sure I'll survive either way.
    There is no difference between SwiftKey and the BB10 keyboard. Virtually identical using both of them in speed, accuracy, and word prediction. The best IMO

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    10-13-15 06:34 PM
    There is no difference between SwiftKey and the BB10 keyboard. Virtually identical using both of them in speed, accuracy, and word prediction. The best IMO

They're similar, and understandably so considering BB10 keyboard was co-designed by SwiftKey. But saying there's "no difference" just isn't accurate.

SwiftKey has some bells & whistles that BB10 doesn't.
    BB10 has the swipe gestures (to delete 1-4 words, reverse autocorrect, toggle keyboard screens, select originally typed word above space bar, etc) and word flicking, and SwiftKey does not. (AFAIK anyway!)
    10-13-15 06:42 PM
    I have a question with regard to Swiftkey and Android apps in general. When I looked it up in Snap, it shows up as free. What does Swiftkey get out of their app that cost them time, sweat and money if they give it away? I understand that a lot of free apps get you to upgrade, or in app purchase, or Data mine, what does this app do to repay devs?

Posted via CB10
    10-13-15 07:10 PM

Nope. not at all, swiftkey for android is meh, I've only ever typed well on iPhone and Bb10's touch keyboard. Anything else is just annoying.
    10-13-15 07:16 PM
    What does Swiftkey get out of their app that cost them time, sweat and money if they give it away? I understand that a lot of free apps get you to upgrade, or in app purchase, or Data mine, what does this app do to repay devs?
    They have plenty of in-app purchase such as themes but perhaps your question would be best answered by telling you to have a look at their 'Privacy Policy' - https://swiftkey.com/en/privacy

Protecting your personal data and maintaining your trust is core to our mission at SwiftKey.

We will not sell your personal data to third parties.

We receive different types of information from our Products, including anonymous device, network, performance and usage statistics. We use this data to debug and improve the functionality of our Products.

We may also receive your personal contact information contained in correspondence via our web sites and communications channels. This enables us to offer user support, beta testing communities, surveys, competitions and similar services.

For users that opt in to SwiftKey Cloud, we will collect your email address, basic demographic information and information concerning the words and phrases that you use ('Language Modeling Data') to enable services such as personalization, prediction synchronization and backup. We may use data provided by you to develop and improve our Products.

Where a field has been flagged by a website or app as denoting a password field or payment information, SwiftKey does not log, store or learn from this information.

We constantly review and challenge the procedures we have in place for data handling and data security and have internal system and controls to ensure compliance
    herbersh likes this.
    10-13-15 07:17 PM
    Thanks Bla1ze. That makes sense.

Posted via CB10
    10-13-15 08:10 PM
    We will see it later when it's official globally released.

Posted via CB10
    10-13-15 09:37 PM
    As long as swiping and cloud support is included, I'm willing to try anything.

I'm spoiled with Swype though. The above, plus handwriting and voice support.
    10-13-15 10:50 PM
    If there's no soft keyboard then that's the deal breaker for me

Posted via CB10
    10-14-15 03:44 AM
    I don't want to buy the phone and realise after the fact that I don't like the most important part better than my old phone. Regardless of how close swiftkey is, if I can't swipe words from the top of a letter when typing with one hand like I am rn or delete them by swiping left on the keyboard it's just not good enough. Plus I can't figure out that sliding to letters on the keyboard to make words thing.

Posted via CB10
    dan99x99 likes this.
    10-14-15 05:42 AM
    Sorry if I don't understand but the BB virtual keyboard doesn't also come on BES then?

Posted via CB10
    Omar Alsahli likes this.
    10-14-15 06:50 AM
    As long as swiping and cloud support is included, I'm willing to try anything.

I'm spoiled with Swype though. The above, plus handwriting and voice support.
    You planning on trying Priv, Tre?
    (Maybe BlackBerry Tre can be name of another device. Sounds better than Priv. But I digress...)

Should be voice support. By handwriting, are you using a stylus now, i.e. a Note?

Posted from my Z30 via CB10
    Tre Lawrence likes this.
    10-14-15 11:51 AM
    If there's no soft keyboard then that's the deal breaker for me
    There will absolutely be a virtual keyboard. We're discussing which particular virtual keyboard it will be as stock on the Priv.

brian4591 likes this.
    10-14-15 11:53 AM
    You planning on trying Priv, Tre?
    (Maybe BlackBerry Tre can be name of another device. Sounds better than Priv. But I digress...)

Should be voice support. By handwriting, are you using a stylus now, i.e. a Note?

I did have a co-worker who called me "BlackBerry Tre" way back when. Sad, but true LOL.

Yes, I wanna give it a try. I'll wait for the price to drop I think, or pick a used one. I'm not a fan of sliders, but I do wanna check it out.

On Swype, one can use finger or stylus on any device. Pretty cool.
    Elite1 likes this.
    10-14-15 12:25 PM
    HYPERVISOR!!!!

PassportSQW100-1/10.3.1.2576 O2 UK
    10-14-15 02:52 PM
    It's confirmed on the pre release sign up that it will have the original blackberry virtual keyboard.

10-14-15 06:26 PM
44 12