I created a video on my new PRIV in the horizontal or Landscape position. When I loaded it onto my computer it only plays upside down. Is there a way I can rotate it up-side right? Or will I need to remake the video. When I play it back on the PRIV it can be rotate to the correct orientation. Can it be reformatted on my computer using a different video media application?
    09-15-16 10:52 AM
    It would help if you told us what operating system you have. On the PC, there was "Movie Maker" that can rotate video.
    If you have ffmpeg (Linux, Mac) you can use Rotating with ffmpeg which says:

ffmpeg -i in.mov -vf "transpose=1" out.mov

For the transpose parameter you can pass:
    0 = 90CounterCLockwise and Vertical Flip (default)
    1 = 90Clockwise
    2 = 90CounterClockwise
    3 = 90Clockwise and Vertical Flip
    Use -vf "transpose=2,transpose=2" for 180 degrees.
    FF22 and anon(3641385) like this.
    09-15-16 11:19 AM
    Turn the screen 90 degrees :-p

You can also use Windows movie maker, or watch it in VLC ( VLC does not save the rotation )

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    09-15-16 12:59 PM
    It would help if you told us what operating system you have. On the PC, there was "Movie Maker" that can rotate video.
    If you have ffmpeg (Linux, Mac) you can use Rotating with ffmpeg which says:

ffmpeg -i in.mov -vf "transpose=1" out.mov

For the transpose parameter you can pass:
    0 = 90CounterCLockwise and Vertical Flip (default)
    1 = 90Clockwise
    2 = 90CounterClockwise
    3 = 90Clockwise and Vertical Flip
    Use -vf "transpose=2,transpose=2" for 180 degrees.
    Very nice and simple. How does it deal with any sound attached? I have had waterfall videos in the wrong orientation and used a major video editor to first separate the audio and video components, rotate and then reattach the audio/video.
    09-15-16 01:31 PM
    Very nice and simple. How does it deal with any sound attached? I have had waterfall videos in the wrong orientation and used a major video editor to first separate the audio and video components, rotate and then reattach the audio/video.
    I have to admit that I never tried this. However, it really depends on how the audio/video is encapsulated. I'm familiar with MPEG where that audio and video are put on separate channels and time-synced with timestamps. Many moons ago I wrote a program to convert from MPEG transport streams (broadcast) to MPEG program streams (dvd). This meant pulling out the video and audio streams repackaging and re-writing the timestamps. This was needed as the buffering model between the two streams are different. I would assume that ffmpeg does a similar job but simpler, it just pulls out the streams transforms the video and then replaces the original packets. If the transform does things right, the transformed streams will not change size so it's a direct replacement. They would just have to transform the FFT coefficients and motion vectors. Keep in mind I'm talking off the top of my head. I've never looked at ffmpeg to see what it does.

BTW, I did that project for Thompson Electronics back in the early 90s. They were building a media center. My conversion program was a filter between the TS stream pulled from the tuner and the DVD decode and display module. Doing timestamp conversion on the fly was a lot of fun.
    FF22 likes this.
    09-15-16 03:16 PM
    I haven't experienced my PRIV videos having orientation issues (maybe orientation lock was own during recording?), but I have resolved the issue of video orientation (recorded on other phones) right on my PRIV before placing on Google Drive for share.

AndroVid Pro will convert the orientation directly on your phone. I have no relationship to the developer of that app and your experience may vary, but it worked great for me.
    anon(3641385) likes this.
    09-16-16 02:32 PM
    F2, I think you meant to post that in the thread where the poster stated that they were seeing a small text window instead of their normal screen display
    09-16-16 09:17 PM
    Not all video players will respect orientation metadata in mp4 files.
    Try using a recent version of VLC to play back the video.
    09-16-16 10:22 PM
    F2, I think you meant to post that in the thread where the poster stated that they were seeing a small text window instead of their normal screen display
    Firefox burped while I was trying to save post and I guess I then messed up!
    09-17-16 12:03 AM