1.4GB alone is being used by the operating system. I hope Marshmallow reduces that RAM usage.

Anyone else has high RAM usage?

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    Attached Thumbnails Priv uses a lot of RAM?-13795.jpg  
    01-22-16 03:16 AM
    Android is designed that way, dont worry it'll release memory as it prioritizes what the phone is doing.

*don't* use a "ram cleaner" or anythink like that, its all snake oil and normally loaded with advertising etc
    Jonneh likes this.
    01-22-16 03:18 AM
    Why the hell should RAM be free. An OS should use it as much as possible and load as much as possible in it.

Modern osses use it and free it when needed.

Posted via CB10
    Jonneh and FCSC like this.
    01-22-16 03:28 AM
    Why the hell should RAM be free. An OS should use it as much as possible and load as much as possible in it.

Modern osses use it and free it when needed.

Posted via CB10
    I know. But I believe you'll agree with me that if I have 2 GB of rams and 1.9 GB are occupied by the system while in idle,then I will not be able to open "heavy" apps without experiencing lag, due to the continuous 'swap' done by the system to free up ram space.
    The point is not about using RAM. The post is about (if I understand well): we have 3GB of ram, and 1.5 GB are used by the system. IF the system would use less RAM, then we will be able to run more apps or much heavier apps experiencing less "lag" and much more speed ;-)

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by smart548; 01-22-16 at 05:25 AM.
    heading4tomorrow likes this.
    01-22-16 03:46 AM
    That's not a Android problem. I might be wrong here, but I think it might be a BlackBerry babysitting you with unnecessary security features that run in the background non-stop problem.

Priv uses a lot of RAM?-screenshot_2016-01-22-06-49-00.jpg

My phone is also running Lolipop yet it is using half the RAM as that Priv is. Disabling the BlackBerry security checker program, if possible, would probably lower the RAM usuage on the Priv.
    01-22-16 05:54 AM
    Android tries to keep opened apps in RAM as much as possible so when you open them again it will be fast. Of course if it will run out of RAM it will begin closing old unused apps to make room for new ones. Let the OS do its job in managing its own RAM.
    01-22-16 05:58 AM
    The OP isn't referring to the amount of RAM being taken up by apps. He's referring to the amount of RAM being utilized by the Android System/OS itself and not cached apps. All those apps that remain in memory so as not to have any "wasted RAM" show up as Apps in the breakdown.

It depends on the manufacturer and what extra features they choose to incorporate into the system/OS. Nexus devices that run vanilla Android will typically show 600MB-700MB RAM consumed by the OS itself. Whereas other manufacturers, like Samsung devices which have a ton of custom features (air gestures, S-Pen, split-screen, etc..) will typically be higher. My Note 5 typically runs at around 1.3Gig System consumption.
    01-22-16 08:08 AM
    Correct. There's no issue here. Operating Systems are designed to use as much available RAM as possible. It's what it's there for. Every manufacturer's device will have the OS use differing amounts of RAM, but there's no problem there. So don't worry yourself over a stat screen when nothing's wrong with your phone.
    01-22-16 08:21 AM
    My ram usage is always above 80% with just few apps
    03-03-17 11:07 AM
    My ram usage is always above 80% with just few apps
    As has been discussed many times, using lots of RAM isn't a problem. The OS will free up more RAM when it is needed (and not before). The only problem is if you see an app that needs to always be running (e.g. wallpaper changer, Camera Upload, etc.) using an unreasonable amount of RAM.
    03-03-17 11:58 AM