Has anyone else had their USB port break? I'm on my second priv and its USB port is starting to feel loose and charging cuts off and on. I've been as gentle as possible with it. I'm about ready to call it a day on the priv. Love it but can't be starting all over again every few months.
    is2daytuesday and nonya10009 like this.
    01-02-17 12:59 AM
    Tried different cables/ports/chargers I'm assuming?
    1122334455667788 likes this.
    01-02-17 01:33 AM
    With previous phones I had the same problem. When I got my Priv I started using a magnetic cable like this:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01MP...UvbUpU12716921

I'm positive it will reduce the mechanical strain significantly.
    Uzi and is2daytuesday like this.
    01-02-17 07:28 AM
    I thought mine was breaking, but it turned out to be the usb cable.

Some models have wireless charging. If your model supports it, maybe start using that?
    Wezard likes this.
    01-02-17 07:38 AM
    I use a BlackBerry Priv charging dock to avoid damage to the port.
    01-02-17 11:18 AM
    That's the bad side of not having a wireless charging possibilty (e.g. on STV100-4). Hope they learn for future devices at TCL.
    01-02-17 04:05 PM
    How can you check your model type and whether wireless charging is supported? I am using the BlackBerry charging pod at night but worry that might be a problem. Despite fitting the spacer in as directed, I find it very lose and prone to falling out with the slightest move. While I have no problem with the USB so far, I wonder if that could become a source of strain on the port over time. Thanks for your advice.
    01-02-17 05:13 PM
    How can you check your model type and whether wireless charging is supported? I am using the BlackBerry charging pod at night but worry that might be a problem. Despite fitting the spacer in as directed, I find it very lose and prone to falling out with the slightest move. While I have no problem with the USB so far, I wonder if that could become a source of strain on the port over time. Thanks for your advice.
    Settings > About phone > Model number

STV100-2 (Verizon) and STV100-1 (AT&T, T-Mobile, Shop BlackBerry USA/Canada) devices have wireless charging.
    FF22 and xandros9 like this.
    01-02-17 05:26 PM
    If the BlackBerry charging dock is properly assembled by the user the BlackBerry Priv will not fall out. I have been using it since 2015.
    01-02-17 06:06 PM
    Same here.

I'm about to order the magnetic cable that Dirk S. suggested.

The Priv dock was mentioned but mine is (has always been) wobbly and may have exacerbated the loose port connection.

I just think that the charging port on any / all Priv is bound to have a loose-connection sooner than later due to the fact that the device has to be charged so frequently.

I've never had a smartphone that required constant charging like this. If it's not in use, it really has to be charging. I make two calls and immediately connect the charger. THAT's the real problem.
    01-02-17 06:38 PM
    Hi, Dirk;

Thanks so much for the magnetic charging cable recommendation.

I just ordered a great one: WSKEN magnetic LED charging cable / black aluminum.
    Last edited by is2daytuesday; 01-03-17 at 02:19 PM. Reason: Bought the item recommended
    01-02-17 07:05 PM
    I've never had a smartphone that required constant charging like this. If it's not in use, it really has to be charging. I make two calls and immediately connect the charger. THAT's the real problem
    Something is wrong with your device, quite possibly set up or apps. Read some of the more recent threads on battery life.
    And before you plug it in, check the battery display and see what is using battery.
    BTW - today is Tuesday
    FF22 and is2daytuesday like this.
    01-03-17 11:55 AM
    To be completely fair I have changed default settings because having a phone that goes black in 30 seconds (or even every 10 minutes) is not something I can live with.

However when not in use my Priv is face-down (off) so the 'never time out' option shouldn't be the issue.

Recent forums noted that it's fine to leave the Priv charging because once it reaches 100% it stops so I automatically connect the charger after each use... but it's warranted:

I've been checking emails, eBay messages, ran a couple of searches and made 1 2-minute call over the course of 2 hours and I'm at 43%.

Only pre-installed apps. I use mobile or desktop version for all sites / accounts (email, tumblr, Pinterest, eBay, Flickr, YouTube, Poshmark + shopping sites). No games.
    Last edited by is2daytuesday; 01-03-17 at 02:51 PM.
    01-03-17 02:06 PM
    You can leave the phone plugged in 24/7 if you want. Try not to plug it back in right after unplugging at 100%, That could cause some overcharging, not a problem unless you do it a lot.
    The magnetic charge connection will work great for the first month or so, then a little surface corrosion will build up, and you'll find yourself cleaning the contacts every week or so. That beats replacing the USB port, but you'll find it's not the magic cure it sounds like. If it were, there would be a whole bunch of phones out there that had it built in.
    I use wireless charge, love it, but it isn't the answer for every situation.

I've been checking emails, eBay messages, ran a couple of searches and made 1 2-minute call over the course of 2 hours and I'm at 43%.
    This thread is about USB ports, so don't want to go too far afield, but your phone is not normal. After you unplug it at 100%, let it get down to below 50%, then check the battery screen and see what is using the battery. Then tap the graph, there will be some horizontal bars under the graph. Cellular network signal should be close to all green, GPS on should show minimal activity, (unless you have just been using maps or something). WiFi is going to be highly variable depending on where you are, don't worry to much about it. Awake should be a whole bunch of little green bars inter-spaced with white. If your Awake bar is solid green, something is causing a wakelock, that will eat up a battery in a hurry.
    The next two are pretty self explanatory
    After you have that information, go to one of the more recent battery threads, or start a new one. The 'out of the box settings' are pretty much 'lets use everything we can, as often as we can'.
    01-04-17 07:22 AM
    Have you tried wireless charging your Blackberry Priv?
    01-04-17 11:01 AM
    I read somewhere that the micro usb port is designed in such a way that the majority of wear and tear is on the cable side, how true that is I don't know, but perhaps trying a new cable might solve the problem.
    01-04-17 01:09 PM
    Wow - Wezard;

Thank you so much for the amazing and detailed reply - very helpful. Apologies for not responding sooner (haven't been checking Crackberry as often as I should).

Re: magnetic cable
    Been using the WSKEN magnetic cable for 3 weeks now and it has made a big difference w/ the wobbly charging port issue. Convinced now that the loose port = inconsistant charge prior to using new cable.

The charging port itself is definitely loose, though because the magnetic insert isn't as snug as it should be when inserted.

The magnate is strong (which is a good thing) but it is so strong that it has pulled the insert out a few times (best to detach the cable with a twist vs. a pull). If the port wasn't so loose, the insert would / should stay-put.

Re: cleaning surface corrosion - don't know what I'm looking for. The magnetic cable + insert are black so I don't see anything. How does one clean it - air spray?

Re: Battery screen - Use since last full charge -
    Between 7am - noon 26%
    Screen = 39%
    Chrome = 12%
    OS = 4%
    Calls = 2%

Mobile network signal yellow + green
    Screen ON
    Awake ON
    Not using Wi-Fi

=
    1 30 min call
    (trouble-shooting dropped calls + slow data speed w/ Tmobile)

Sent 2 short emails
    Checked eBay
    Sent 1 eBay message
    Took 1 picture
    Writing this reply

Will research wakelock and batter threads per your suggestion.

Very much obliged for your time and expertise.

Tuesday T.
    01-31-17 02:31 PM
    Not yet but I will now.
    01-31-17 02:34 PM
    Re: cleaning surface corrosion - don't know what I'm looking for. The magnetic cable + insert are black so I don't see anything. How does one clean it - air spray?
    Should be able to see 5 little contacts visible where the two pieces mate. Pencil eraser, rub lightly on all contacts.
    Though, if you use twisting motion to disconnect, that will help. The regular usb connections are also subject to corrosion, but inserting and pulling out is sufficient to keep them clean, mostly. It's the rubbing action.
    01-31-17 07:36 PM
    Mine has just recently started doing the cutting in and out. Guess I will try the magnetic cord!
    01-31-17 09:34 PM
    Don't forget wireless may be an option, depending on which model you have.
    Not all wireless chargers work well with the Priv, so make sure you check out a couple of wireless charging threads before buying one.
    FF22 likes this.
    01-31-17 09:51 PM
    My port hasn't worked in way over a year, I have a great slanted charging panel/pad, only issue is luggin it around sometimes to plug it in somewhere in order to charge it, bc my PRIV runs out of juice quickly. I would love to have a 'wireless wireless travel charging pad'. Is there such a thing?
    Last edited by nonya10009; 02-14-19 at 10:36 PM. Reason: Edit
    02-14-19 10:34 PM
    So phone started doing the connect/disconnect rapidly. One night I was able to plus in and charge with phone off. This morning I tried the same and it actually REDUCED the charge from 19 to 13% in just half an hour plugged in, even though the phone was off. I got this model from Blackberry Canada direct but when placed on a wireless charging pad nothing happens.

Will buy the magnetic charge cord to try that, but any other suggestions would be appreciated. Their decision not to make PRIV 2 is disappointing as it is unbeatable combination of screen and keyboard in my view. I would upgrade to one, or a phablet, if one is made available.
    PRIVuser2018 likes this.
    02-24-19 09:51 AM
    So plugged into original Blackberry fast charger and it dropped again to 11%. I guess this means the phone is finished. Sad.
    02-24-19 10:01 AM
    I found the magnetic cables worked well but a different problem emerged - the magnetic tips are easy to lose if they pop out of the phone. So I have a couple of cables with no tips to use with them. Would anyone know where replacements could be found? Trying major electronic sites and ebay so far with no result. Thank you.
    06-09-19 06:05 PM
28 12