STV100-1, Factory Unlocked, carrier is AT&T, AAG853, security Oct 5, 2016
    Ever since last update screen becomes unresponsive to taps and swipes, for 30 seconds to well over a minute. Now to the point it's almost every time I remove it from case, (sleep magnet) and sometimes as I'm using it.
    Buttons all work, screen responds to light level, it passed all the Virtual Expert tests.
    Sometimes when touching unresponsive screen a little whitish circle will appear under finger, other times not.
    It did the same thing for a few days after previous update, but not as bad, and it 'fixed' it's self after a few days.

Anybody else experiencing this, or have any ideas? I've already cleared all the caches, and uninstalled all apps that were put on in the last couple of months, and done multiple 32 sec resets.
    I really don't want to do an autoloader, so asking here first.
    10-24-16 03:02 PM
    Have you done a factory reset... I've done three feature updates on the DROID, and two of them messed up my phone so bad I had to do a factory reset... which fixed the issues I was having.
    10-24-16 03:20 PM
    I thought factory reset wiped the phone, if I'm going to do that, would I not be better off just totally reinstalling the whole OS?
    Or am I missing something?
    10-24-16 03:23 PM
    Factory reset did the trick, didn't think I had the time to do an autoloader. In the end prob wouldn't have made much difference time wise, it's not a quick process getting everything back on the phone, and set back up at least kinda sorta the way it was.
    Super Backup, did a great job. https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...contacts&hl=en
    10-26-16 09:02 PM
    Update
    - after a couple of days it started doing it again, and progressively got worse.
    All physical buttons still worked when screen was unresponsive, including keyboard, if I had happened to leave it in text or email.
    Just did an autoload, now have to set the thing up again.
    I'll post again good, bad or ugly.
    Wish me luck, - it is under warranty for a couple more weeks.
    11-04-16 10:13 AM
    Autoloader didn't help, also forgot to mention that I had tried Safe Mode, also no help.
    Contacted BB support yesterday afternoon, they have no idea. Being referred to warranty dept. Guess I'll be getting a new, (or refurbed) device.
    I suspect it's an issue with ribbon cable contacts, but I'm not about to open it up while under warranty.
    11-05-16 08:49 AM
    Minutes after posting the above, BB tech called me back, and transfered me to warranty. The are going to do an advance replacement - BUT, currently have no stock. So it'll most likely be 2 weeks. Warranty also said they are 'pretty sure' it will be a new device.
    11-05-16 09:17 AM
    Mine does this too (did it last night, actually). The only thing that I do is hold the power button until it restarts. It doesn't happen to me as frequently as it seems it is happening to you... maybe once a week.

Good luck!
    11-05-16 10:23 AM
    Mine started at once a week or so, and just got worse with time. Just an FYI.
    A restart, as you mention will usually 'fix' it for a couple minutes to an hour or better.
    Initially it only did it when 'woken up', now it will do it while I'm in the middle of something. Like a text, when it does I can often open the keyboard and continue typing with PKB. But I can't send, I do not have the enter key programmed as send, if I did, I suspect I could send with it.
    11-05-16 10:46 AM
    My Priv does this but only when waking up from when the screen is off. Sometimes it works perfectly for weeks at a time and then for no reason at all I will have days where the screen is unresponsive on wake-up (I have to wake it with a quick press of the power button) 50% of the time.

Oddly I have found that opening and closing the keyboard many times rapidly fixes the issue and the screen becomes responsive again.

It's definitely annoying.
    11-07-16 07:19 PM
    I think this is a software ( memory leak) issue. I've noticed the screen becomes unresponsive when there is too many apps running at once resulting in low ram and/or too much app cache. So far so good on new update.
    11-07-16 09:52 PM
    I think this is a software ( memory leak) issue. I've noticed the screen becomes unresponsive when there is too many apps running at once resulting in low ram and/or too much app cache. So far so good on new update.
    Except mine did it, after a factory data reset, meaning nothing but factory installed apps, and after a complete OS reload, and in safe mode.

wake it with a quick press of the power button) 50% of the time.

Oddly I have found that opening and closing the keyboard many times rapidly fixes the issue and the screen becomes responsive again.
    Exactly what used to 'fix' mine, only it started taking more and more button pushes, and screen openings, and less time between it 'breaking' again.
    Then it started going unresponsive while I was in the middle of using it.
    Only thing thats keeping it somewhat usable is the bluetooth ear piece, I don't actually have to use the screen to answer. Often have to reboot before I can make a call.
    11-07-16 10:11 PM
    I am OCD about keeping the minimum possible number of apps open and running and restart my phone frequently... due to this issue unfortunately. It hasn't happened since I installed the November updates yesterday so I will just have to wait and see. If it keeps acting up I guess I'll go get a DTEK60.
    11-09-16 03:19 PM
    Sadly the Nov update didn't help mine.
    11-09-16 08:43 PM
    My PRIV started doing this two months ago. Screen unresponsive after start up, have to reboot several times in order to be able to get past lock screen.

BlackBerry Since 2006. SE/Priv/DTEK50
    12-16-16 05:40 AM
    I thought that the December update had fixed this problem for me. The phone worked perfectly for almost a week after the update but then started doing it again. Unfortunately my phone is out of warranty and BB support wants $275 to fix it. That's not going to happen when the DTEK60 is only $500.

Sometimes I seem to be able to get the screen to come back to life by covering and uncovering the proximity sensor. If not, I can usually get it to come back by opening and closing the keyboard quickly and repeatedly. Other times I have no choice but to do a 30 second power button reset.

The problem is the worst after the phone has been sitting idle for a long period of time. Like in the morning, if my alarm goes off there is no way that I can shut it off and have to do a 30 second reset. But once I get the phone responding again, it will work properly for me all day long at work. Then after dinner if it sits for an hour or more, unresponsive again.

I wonder if this has something to do with Marshmallow's doze mode? This seems like it absolutely has to be some sort of software issue.

And yes, I've done multiple factory resets. I haven't done a bootloader reset yet but will likely give that a try sometime after Christmas.

I REALLY don't want to replace my phone because aside from this one issue I love it.
    12-16-16 11:03 AM
    I just did some research on MM and doze mode problems. I think I might be onto something here:

How to Solve Sleep of Death Android Issue

Sleep Of Death is a known problem across many hardware platforms running Android and has apparently gotten worse after MM was released. When a device goes into "deep sleep" and doze starts putting various apps and services to sleep, some devices won't wake up... or in this case, portions of the device don't wake up (the screen).

I just installed "SOD Killer", which is supposed to never let your phone go to sleep. So far so good. I will be interested to see if my phone is responsive in the morning after sitting untouched all night.

If this is the solution I will gladly take reduced battery life over a phone that randomly doesn't work! Also, if this does prove to be the solution, I will spend more time determining what apps/services are the culprit(s) and try turning off doze mode for them alone.
    12-16-16 12:52 PM
    I've been having the same issue since about early/mid-November. Actually got too frustrated and put my SIM card back in my old phone. Same progressively worse issue. I've even gone to the extreme of a full wipe and OS reload over USB.
    What is interesting about my situation is that even a wipe and fresh OS load didn't solve the issue. The screen even stopped responding in safe mode.
    I went with Wakelock, set to PARTIAL_WAKE_LOCK, which allows the screen to turn off but keeps the CPU running. We'll see what happens tomorrow, as well. My phone is still under warranty, but I'd still rather have THIS one working and know what was the problem, even if it means I have reduced battery life. It's pretty rare that I'm more than 8-10 hours away from a charging source anyway.
    12-16-16 04:08 PM
    What is interesting about my situation is that even a wipe and fresh OS load didn't solve the issue. The screen even stopped responding in safe mode.
    That's no different than me. I have done multiple OS reload/factory resets and this problem just keeps coming back. Safe mode didn't help either.
    12-16-16 06:32 PM
    SOD Killer has solved my problem. This leads me to believe that this is 100% a software issue. Hopefully BB can look into this since the problem isn't isolated to only my phone. The battery life is definitely worse with SOD Killer running, probably 25% worse or so but I seriously couldn't care less. At least now my phone works 100% of the time!
    12-20-16 10:15 AM
    Just to be clear, I did not have a blank screen. When I pulled it out of holster, away from sleep magnet, the screen came right up, it would also time out and go back to sleep. Tapping the power button would bring the home screen up. Double tap on screen did not work.
    The home screen was present but no amount of touching tapping or swiping would do anything.
    And for what it's worth, I never activated doze. Actually I didn't know it had to be activated, I just thought it was there and working with Marshmallow.
    12-20-16 10:29 AM
    Just to be clear, I did not have a blank screen. When I pulled it out of holster, away from sleep magnet, the screen came right up, it would also time out and go back to sleep. Tapping the power button would bring the home screen up. Double tap on screen did not work.
    The home screen was present but no amount of touching tapping or swiping would do anything.
    And for what it's worth, I never activated doze. Actually I didn't know it had to be activated, I just thought it was there and working with Marshmallow.
    Your description above is the same as what I was experiencing. I could wake the screen up by pressing the power button or by opening the keyboard and it would go back to sleep no problem, but no touch actions would work when the screen was either on or off.

As far as I am aware, doze mode is automatically turned on with the MM update. I wasn't prompted to turn it on and it is running on my phone. I also don't see any global "OFF" switch for it. All I can do is turn it off for individual apps/services.
    12-20-16 01:21 PM
    As far as I am aware, doze mode is automatically turned on with the MM update.
    Thats what I thought, but coulda sworn I saw a toggle under some setting while looking for something else, labeled doze and it was toggled off. Can't find it now, so maybe I was dreaming.

A couple of the posts above seemed to indicate a blank screen, as if they couldn't get the phone to wake up.

At first it would only do it occasionally, and repeated tapping / swiping would bring to normal after 30 seconds to a couple minutes. Then it 'cured itself' for a couple of weeks. Then it got real serious, would take multiple restarts to get it to work. Sometimes repeated opening and closing slider would work, sometimes sliding finger and pressing multiple keys on PKB would work.
    My first occurrence started a few days after the Oct update, sorta fixed it's self after almost a week, then started again a few days after the Nov update. Then fixed it's self prior to the Dec update. It also went back to BB in it's 'fixed' condition, a few days before the Dec update.

I don't think its Doze related, as the screen would come on properly, could be wrong. Also don't think it's software, we would have more of the same issue being reported, again, could be wrong.
    I'm also careful about what I download, don't have many apps, and when I do download, I do one at a time and run it for at least a few days before downloading anything else.
    If the phone had been out of warranty, I would have opened it up and checked all the ribbon cable connections. I'm suspecting something in the digitizer input circuitry.
    12-21-16 07:36 AM
    One of 3 screens I get when it won't wake up is black with date and time.
    12-21-16 10:05 AM
    One of 3 screens I get when it won't wake up is black with date and time.
    The little date time at very top, or a larger one about a third from the top? Sounds like you may be talking about the window screen. Some of the leather cases have a cutout where the window screen appears, it's triggered by a magnetic sensor, that may have gone bad.

What are the other two screens?
    12-21-16 10:27 AM
51 123