Did you mean "Priv is unique? No!"

Posted via CB10
    Good try but it is. Name a phone that has all the features and functionality it has. You can't here is your explanation mark!!!! You can't!!!!

Posted from my Z30 with Google Play Store
    10-30-15 10:47 PM
    Physical keyboards are less flexible than virtual keyboards, so they are less valuable except PKB with complete layout, which is not the case of the Priv. The Productivity Suite is good, but its equivalents in IOS/stock Android/Windows are completely acceptable. I see no advantage of hardware encryption (as opposed to software encryption). And for security partitioning, I think Priv is less secure than Knox.

Posted via CB10/BB PP SE.
    Do You know priv has both physical and virtual keyboard? The physical keyboard is aimed for typing accuracy so it has it's own purpose. For replying short messages and chats, there is virtual keyboard.

 Passport via CB10 || previous device : Q10, Z3, Z10, Storm 9530, 8520, 8530, 9000, 8320
    10-30-15 11:05 PM
    Will BlackBerry World apps work on the new Priv?

Posted via CB10
    10-30-15 11:31 PM
    So far it looks like a Android phone with a PKB and a Blackberry label stuck on it.
    lift and anon(9188202) like this.
    10-31-15 12:08 AM
    No..BlackBerry apps will be on the Google Play store.

Posted via CB10
    10-31-15 12:14 AM
    I completely disagree about iOs. On Apple mail you can't attach a document to a reply email from a file stored on device or elsewhere. You have to create new email to send that document requested from boss, client, or whomever. Also not integrated between calendar and email that well. No device file mgt on Apple. I could go on and on.

Yeah, and iOS file management? Don't even get me started.

Posted via CB10
    10-31-15 12:25 AM
    I completely disagree about iOs. On Apple mail you can't attach a document to a reply email from a file stored on device or elsewhere. You have to create new email to send that document requested from boss, client, or whomever. Also not integrated between calendar and email that well. No device file mgt on Apple. I could go on and on.

That was true on older version of iOS, but is not true anymore. You can attach any document directly in the default mail app on iOS. And iOS email and calendar apps are very much integrated to the point where iOS will scan your mail for calendar event and automatically add it to your calendar, and alert you when you need to leave based on traffic.
    Attached Thumbnails Priv is Unique!   No?-img_2572.jpg   Priv is Unique!   No?-img_2573.jpg  
    dusanvn likes this.
    10-31-15 08:42 AM
    Physical keyboards are less flexible than virtual keyboards, so they are less valuable except PKB with complete layout, which is not the case of the Priv. The Productivity Suite is good, but its equivalents in IOS/stock Android/Windows are completely acceptable. I see no advantage of hardware encryption (as opposed to software encryption). And for security partitioning, I think Priv is less secure than Knox.

Posted via CB10/BB PP SE.
    Don't you understand anything?

Posted via CB10
    10-31-15 09:11 AM
    Will BlackBerry World apps work on the new Priv?

Posted via CB10
    Of course not!

Posted via CB10
    10-31-15 09:14 AM
    8 years late if so. Welcome to 2008. VKB still sucks and integration to other apps. Saying that. Welcome to 2008 for apps BlackBerry.

I have to see to believe the doc attachment on reply emails. Does it have device storage file mgt?

All Androids have storage and management with it without a native app. Ios does not.

Posted via CB10
    10-31-15 09:16 AM
    How is the PKB without a complete layout??? You want to have F1-F12 control and canc and dell on a phone??

Posted via CB10
    A complete layout must IMO contain at least the complete alphanumeric array i.e. the largest array of a computer keyboard. F1 through F12 are less important. For example:

http://forums.crackberry.com/showthread.php?t=1036430

The alphanumeric array is necessary not only for convenient typing the digits and punctuations but also non-English letters. Many, if not all, national standard keyboards are based on one of the two standard (physical) layouts: ANSI and ISO. Unfortunately Priv PKB has too few keys to be compatible with these standards.
    10-31-15 09:34 AM
    Advantages of hardware encryption built into the device is do something like jailbreaking a device doesn't happen for which I'm sad to say has happen to Apple and iOS9 already. Can't jailbreak the OS or Root if the hardware doesn't allow you to even try.
    No. Encryption protects secrecy, not integrity, of data and/or code. Integrity of the OS is protected by the so-called trust boot. When the device is tampered (i.e. OS is jailbroken or get rooted) it is integrity that's violated.

Neither encryption nor boot code needs to be implemented in hardware. Actually, they only need a hardware chip to protect a piece of secret: the crypto variable (i.e. the key). What's worse is they need to be absolutely correct i.e. the software code has to be mathematically verifiable. (IOS 9 jailbreaking has proved that hardware protection is _not_ sufficient.) A few defense contractors pose this technology. BlackBerry doesn't. What they can do maximally is using a hardware chip to obscure, not secure, the code.
    10-31-15 10:01 AM
    And for security partitioning, I think Priv is less secure than Knox.
    Care to explain why? I am interested. TIA.

"But I say this to you, love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you;" - Matthew 5:44
    dusanvn likes this.
    10-31-15 10:06 AM
    Do You know priv has both physical and virtual keyboard? The physical keyboard is aimed for typing accuracy so it has it's own purpose. For replying short messages and chats, there is virtual keyboard.

 Passport via CB10 || previous device : Q10, Z3, Z10, Storm 9530, 8520, 8530, 9000, 8320
    Yes I do know that. And the fact that Priv has two keyboards just proves that at least one of them is incomplete or (in case both are complete) they are redundant. Some people may like a car with two driving wheels (with different looks and feels) but I don't think many people do so.
    10-31-15 10:11 AM
    Yeah, and iOS file management? Don't even get me started.

Posted via CB10
    I've never had an iPhone, so full disclosure there. That being said:

a few years ago, when I had an Android phone, my iPhone-toting father wanted a ringtone added to his iPhone. Huh--should be simple. I know how it works on Android....I email to myself, click on the mp3 file in the email, and "save as ringtone". Bam.

iPhone? No such feature. So how does one add a ringtone to iPhone? After I searched and found the answer. I was utterly stunned at how complex and non-intuitable it was--plus, it requires that you use iTunes! It was almost command line level complexity--the exact opposite of how Apple tries to present itself.

The emperor has no clothes.
    raino and neoberry99 like this.
    10-31-15 10:22 AM
    That was true on older version of iOS, but is not true anymore. You can attach any document directly in the default mail app on iOS. And iOS email and calendar apps are very much integrated to the point where iOS will scan your mail for calendar event and automatically add it to your calendar, and alert you when you need to leave based on traffic.
    Show me a "reply email". That's what I mentioned not a new original one. And not from icloud!

10-31-15 10:39 AM
    By your reasoning, most androids would also be unique...
    10-31-15 10:42 AM
    Yes I do know that. And the fact that Priv has two keyboards just proves that at least one of them is incomplete or (in case both are complete) they are redundant. Some people may like a car with two driving wheels (with different looks and feels) but I don't think many people do so.
    What a ridiculous analogy, then that's like saying there should be only one pilot flying a plane. Or only apples to eat and no oranges. I like choice and I'm sure others do as well.
    The PKB are for those that write long emails, professional composed emails or other long but need to be perfect notes. . Many people like my wife had a Bold for years, went to an iPhone 6 and actually stuck it out for 3 months but the auto correct and Crappy VKB was taking forever to draft emails. Thus, iPhone was dumped and for many other reasons as well.
    Having both is great, VKB where you can send quick notes and PKB for people that really like a tactile keyboard. VKB does always take longer because of fat fingers. Saying that BlackBerry VKB is the best out there today.

kertong and MO3iusONE like this.
    10-31-15 10:53 AM
    By your reasoning, most androids would also be unique...
    If you are referring to my unique statement then you are wrong as I pointed out what no other phone has thus being unique except for base OS.

10-31-15 10:56 AM
    Care to explain why? I am interested. TIA.

"But I say this to you, love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you;" - Matthew 5:44
    That's a good question. BlackBerry has recently stated that regarding security,

(1) Priv = Knox, and

(2) Priv <= Blackphone,

which implies immediately

(3) Knox <= Blackphone.

The truth, I think, is exactly the contrary:

(4) Blackphone < Knox.

There are essentially two technologies for security partitioning: full virtualization (via virtual machines atop a separation kernel, also known as hypervisor or microvisor) and thin virtualization (via FreeBSD/IOS jails or Linux/Android containers).

In full virtualization, the hypervisor, the consumer partition (VM) and the enterprise partition (VM) run independent OSs (thus, the three OS can be all different). In thin virtualization, the consumer partition and the enterprise partition share the same code (thus they run instances of the same OS).

Full virtualization is generally believed to be highly secure, whilst thin virtualization is believed to have only medium security.

Knox supports an alternative OS for the enterprise partition. Actually, all Knox-based phones that have been approved to contain multi-level (classified and unclassified) information have been utilizing a non-Android OS for the enterprise partition. So, I think Knox is a fully virtualized system.

Blackphone is Android-only, so I think it is using thin virtualization.

Back to the Priv, there were theories about it using hypervisor but recent leaks have shown that the theories are unfounfed. Looks like it's pure Android, so I think it is using thin virtualization, the same technology as the Blackphone. To summarize:

(5) Priv = Blackphone.

EDIT: For (4) and (5), I think that regarding security,

(6) Priv < Knox.
    Last edited by dusanvn; 11-01-15 at 05:55 AM. Reason: Added conclusion
    10-31-15 10:57 AM
    If you are referring to my unique statement then you are wrong as I pointed out what no other phone has thus being unique except for base OS.

But most phones offer something different as well to just the base OS. Granted most of them are software based differences but they still exist.
    I agree that the Priv stands out, but when you examine other devices a lot offer more that others do not.
    Saying that i'm not disagreeing with you, just pointing out that one Android is not all Androids
    wincyUt likes this.
    10-31-15 11:08 AM
    But most phones offer something different as well to just the base OS. Granted most of them are software based differences but they still exist.
    I agree that the Priv stands out, but when you examine other devices a lot offer more that others do not.
    Saying that i'm not disagreeing with you, just pointing out that one Android is not all Androids
    Just pointing out the what Priv has different features that no other Android or iPhone offers. It's definitely not 100% unique but enough to justify 100-200 more than a less expensive Android that does not have any of the features. If these features don't matter as a user then it won't be worth the extra $$

wincyUt likes this.
    10-31-15 11:12 AM
    Just pointing out the what Priv has different features that no other Android or iPhone offers. It's definitely not 100% unique but enough to justify 100-200 more than a less expensive Android that does not have any of the features. If these features don't matter as a user then it won't be worth the extra $$

Thats the point though.
    Those unique features arent enough to justify it to mass market.
    And those cheaper androids you mentioned have features that the Priv wont have.
    For example the camera on the G4 alone gives a reason to a lot of people to buy it over the Priv plus its a lot cheaper.

I get what you're saying, but it should be apparent to Blackberry now that mass consumers are not willing to pay extra for security and pkb's. The Priv will sell to those who do find it important, but the last few years has shown that to be a tiny fraction of the market.

I hope it does well, i like blackberry and i love sliders. If the camera was anywhere near the G4's camera i'd be getting a Priv
    10-31-15 11:27 AM
    Most flagship smartphones have fingerprint scanning, now. You can come up with all sorts of reasons why you wouldn't want to use it but the fact is that most people who have used it on their smartphone will never go back to passcode-only.

So, I agree that the Priv is unique among new flagship smartphones in that it doesn't offer it. I think that the focus group/market research on the Priv has shown this, thus the low-cost/low-volume marketing strategy. John Chen is swinging to get on base rather than trying to hit a home run with the Priv.
    10-31-15 11:31 AM
    Thats the point though.
    Those unique features arent enough to justify it to mass market.
    And those cheaper androids you mentioned have features that the Priv wont have.
    For example the camera on the G4 alone gives a reason to a lot of people to buy it over the Priv plus its a lot cheaper.

I get what you're saying, but it should be apparent to Blackberry now that mass consumers are not willing to pay extra for security and pkb's. The Priv will sell to those who do find it important, but the last few years has shown that to be a tiny fraction of the market.

I hope it does well, i like blackberry and i love sliders. If the camera was anywhere near the G4's camera i'd be getting a Priv
    Just remember this phone is not targeting teenagers it is targeting businesses, professionals, and Government . Joe consumer not in above category is a secondary market for them. Any sales to them is just gravy.

10-31-15 11:32 AM
121 1234 ...