When we really think about it, BlackBerry adopting Android is the third OS for the company.

We went from the original Java-based BBOS, to the QNX-based BB10, and now an Android-based OS. If BlackBerry had simply went from the Java-based BBOS straight to Android, BlackBerry might not be in the mess it is in.

There is still time to fix this, and maybe secured Android is the way to go.
    10-21-15 08:53 AM
    Perhaps. But I don't think Android was mature enough at that time. It certainly would not have been able to get the security certifications that BB10 did.

Where would that have left BlackBerry's enterprise clients and the company's focus on security, which has now evolved into BES12, along with Good?

QNX is also the base of BlackBerry's IoT and Automotive plays. Would they have happened without BlackBerry's desire to build their own OS, and ultimately purchasing QNX?

If BlackBerry had just jumped into Android on day one, they may very well be gone by now. Hard to say.

PassportSQW100-4/10.3.2.2789
    Last edited by conite; 10-21-15 at 01:12 PM.
    10-21-15 09:04 AM
    Bbos was better than android for a while.. I think kitkat is where android starting getting decent.
    BlackBerry 10 was better though (still better in my opinion) but we'll see what BlackBerry has done to the new and improved android! Looks good so far.
    10-21-15 12:37 PM
    If BlackBerry can keep refining, "hardening" and securing their Android implementation, I think they may have a winner.
    10-21-15 12:44 PM
    From what I've seen so far with the Priv looks to be a combination of the great things they've implemented in BlackBerry 10 and the solid ecosystem of Android. One thing I really like is the recent apps are layed out similar to BlackBerry 10 active frames and they added a clear all button.

Z30STA100-5/10.3.2.2639
    10-21-15 12:54 PM
    But I still think BlackBerry 10 will be the go to device for top security.

Z30STA100-5/10.3.2.2639
    10-21-15 12:57 PM
    When we really think about it, BlackBerry adopting Android is the third OS for the company.

We went from the original Java-based BBOS, to the QNX-based BB10, and now an Android-based OS. If BlackBerry had simply went from the Java-based BBOS straight to Android, BlackBerry might not be in the mess it is in.

There is still time to fix this, and maybe secured Android is the way to go.
    Android isn't a secure OS. They would have lost all enterprise customers. Google controls the OS, not BlackBerry.
    10-21-15 01:24 PM
    If BlackBerry can keep refining, "hardening" and securing their Android implementation, I think they may have a winner.
    Talk of RIM needing to adopt Android dates back to 2009. However, BlackBerry would never have been able to do with Android back then what they are now doing with the Priv; Andy "the boss of Android" Rubin would not have allowed it. Under Rubin, BlackBerry would have had no choice to but to make their changes to the kernel freely available to all, which would obviously undermine any attempt by BlackBerry to differentiate itself from the competition other than simply applying their own skin/launcher onto an otherwise generic Android OS. Rubin would have likely not been cool with BlackBerry injecting PINs into the CPUs, either. Or.... ....the fact that BlackBerry is essentially telling the world that Android is not secure and never has been... The fact that the BlackPhone 2 now has AfW and Google Play Store is also indication that things have changed since Rubin left, the OHA is no longer a thing (or if it is, no longer relevant) and that Google/Android is now working directly with vendors.

By the time Rubin left for another position at Google BB10 had already deployed. Looking at the history of BB10, however, lack of apps and how they treated developers, there is some evidence that BlackBerry has been in planning for Android. The official announcement of ART in 10.2.X and the arrival of the Amazon App Store seems to be the preliminary steps towards an eventual Android OS, however I am sure that the original plan was to fork Android and go with Amazon, not Google. My guess is that Google became aware of this and offered to BlackBerry Google Play and the like in exchange for BlackBerry using "Google Android" to prove that it can be secured.
    10-21-15 01:25 PM