I broke my Passport and am currently using an old loaner while looking at options for a new phone. I could get another Passport, but I thought I'd look around and see what else is out there. Considering trying out the Priv, as it appears I'll have to move on to Android sometime. At a year old, is it still worth getting? If not, any other ideas?

I'd much prefer a PKB, but it isn't a 100% dealbreaker.
    11-12-16 08:59 AM
    If a physical keyboard is a must and you can get it at a decent price, I would say go for it. The Passport is an amazing device, and my favourite BlackBerry, so much that I'm again using it for the next month or so as main driver, while having my PRIV ready to switch at anytime.

The physical keyboard on the PRIV, however, does not compare to the one on the Passport, but it does a decent job. If you can live without the physical keyboard, the DTEK60 seems an overall more powerful device, with better specs.

You could also wait a bit, as BlackBerry's CEO John Chen has recently stated that there is one more physical keyboard device (in-house built apparently) pending release...

Posted with my powerful and masterful  Passport!
    rarsen likes this.
    11-12-16 09:12 AM
    What I'm planning to do is to get a Priv and wait to see what the Mercury comes with.

Z10 STL100-3, 10.3.2.2836
    11-12-16 10:17 AM
    I broke my Passport and am currently using an old loaner while looking at options for a new phone. I could get another Passport, but I thought I'd look around and see what else is out there. Considering trying out the Priv, as it appears I'll have to move on to Android sometime. At a year old, is it still worth getting? If not, any other ideas?

11-12-16 10:39 AM
    I have had the priv for a year. I rarely use the pkb yet would not give up on it as for longer message's it is preferred. If it was me I would try to hold out until the next pkb blackberry is released . That being said if you find a crazy good deal on the priv don't hesitate you wont regret it. Also it is a tough phone, i have not used a case and have dropped it a ton and use it in all weather with no issues or damages yet.
    anon(7915689) and srzjumper like this.
    11-12-16 10:46 AM

I would argue it's worth getting now more than ever due to its pricepoint. I think blackberry had this thing priced way too high out of the gate, and as a result people spent their money elsewhere although they did like the device. Ya it had some higher end specs at the time, but for blackberry's first crack at android it was just too expensive.

Now, privs and all android blackberry software has matured quite a bit. The phone is excellent on marshmallow and any heating issues/battery life issues that folks had on lollipop are now pretty much non existent. It's still the best phone on the market for a touch screen/keyboard compromise, and it still really does have good specs. (Minus that snapdragon 808 which I would've preferred to be an 810 originally. But hey! It still has a decent camera, QHD curved gorilla glass display, obviously that keyboard. I think the priv is still a great buy until a mercury gets released. (Assuming it does)
    Bay 13 likes this.
    11-12-16 11:10 AM
    Go for it but don't listen to others saying wait for the new BlackBerry device it won't come tomorrow but the release would be February maybe March.
    11-12-16 12:38 PM
    I finally got a Priv a month and a half ago and for the most part am very happy. I had the Passport for a year, then the Passport SE for six months before switching to a Moto X for five months. Android on the Priv isn't nearly as efficient as BB10 but it's a lot better than stock Android. All the BlackBerry touches (in both hardware and software) are appreciated. They've baked about as many BlackBerry features into the software as possibly without bloating it down or making it appear different than stock Android. Also BlackBerry has been updating the Priv every month and continues to make improvements to all the BlackBerry apps they've included on Android.

The build quality is great and the keyboard is a lot better than most people give it credit for. I use the physical keyboard around 60% of the time just because it's more enjoyable than the virtual keyboard.

Coming from a Passport battery life won't be as good but that's an issue with Android in general. I usually get around 4-5 hours screen on time with the Priv which is manageable (especially with it supporting QuickCharge). The LED won't work to notify you if you prefer to keep your phone in silent (or Priority Only mode) like I do which is unfortunate coming from BB10 but that again is an Android issue.

At the current pricing I wouldn't hesitate recommending a Priv. It looks a lot more premium (in my opinion) than the TCL BlackBerry DTEK phones and is an easier transition to Android for someone that is used to the efficient BlackBerry hardware/software combination.
    petekohn123 likes this.
    11-12-16 01:27 PM

It is definitely worth going with the Priv. It is a year old but has good specs and the price is now about half than when it was released.
    I am coming also from the Passeport and got the Priv last December. I would have now upgraded to the DTEK 60 but I can't stand without a physical keyboard.
    11-12-16 02:25 PM

I had my serious doubts before changing from my Passport to the Priv. The only reason I changed was because my Passport back camera stopped working and I needed it for work. I'm happy I changed, I waited till this year to change. The device works perfectly, gives me a window of new things to do that I couldn't do before. I'm very happy with my purchase and I hope to have this phone for a very long time... I still plan to purchase the Mercury once its out because it's probably the last in house phone but other than that, my Priv is perfect.
    rarsen likes this.
    11-12-16 03:09 PM

Indeed, this is the best time to buy the Priv. The performance has improved manifolds since the launch. The device had a successful transition from Lollipop to Marshmallow. The pricing and overall package makes the device great value for money. I am sure you will not regret.
    rarsen likes this.
    11-12-16 03:53 PM
    The PKB on the Priv though not as spacious as the Passport but it has all the features and after few days you will get accustomed to it .
    newcollector likes this.
    11-12-16 03:57 PM
    There can be a several of factors to consider when choosing a phone (such as: hardware specifications, carrier specific LTE band compatibility, carrier support of VoLTE/Wifi calling, as well as price). In case it might be useful, I posted how my immediate family came to choose BB Priv as our preferred phone over other BB and non-BB phones, see New BB Users: Family chooses BB Priv even the teenagers! (long post)
    Sigewif likes this.
    11-12-16 09:13 PM
    Thanks all. I went ahead and ordered one this evening, so we'll see how I like it in a fee days. I'd been going tip stay away from both ios and Android, but it does seem that I'll have to go to one someday. Might as well try Android now with some BB flair.
    FF22 likes this.
    11-13-16 07:07 PM
    I'd love to hear what you think of the keyboard when you get it, as I'm deciding between the Priv and waiting for Mercury.
    11-13-16 08:42 PM
    I'll be sure to report back... Is there a release date for the Mercury yet?
    11-14-16 05:18 AM
    There's is no date at least not a public one. Chen have said soon but given the time BlackBerry is taking with 10.3.3 the Mercury could be out between anytime between a few months and 2018.

11-14-16 05:47 AM
    I have to change my Blackberry Bold 9900 because of "smart" Whatsapp's policy (it will stop working on my device by the 31st of December). Since I strongly need a PKB, I am deciding to purchase an used BB Priv, but I am skeptical about it

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    11-14-16 06:06 AM
    I'll share my experience since I just got the PRIV two weeks ago coming from Classic. I had serious concerns about the PRIV after seeing it in store and from reading these boards. However, two weeks in and I couldn't love it more. The keyboard isn't as good as Classic, but it's actually better than most will tell you. You get used to it quickly. Having the screen space is amazing. Having access to apps is amazing. Coming from BlackBerry 10 with no apps, it's like unlocking a while new world. And I don't just mean games, I mean apps you'd use in everyday life. I had concerns about Android and while I still miss BlackBerry 10 a bit, Android is really good. Another thing they told me was I wouldn't be as efficient/ productive on this device. Well I can assure you I haven't missed a beat. Best phone I've ever owned. Loving it.
    so crow, FF22 and JG_Agustin like this.
    11-14-16 08:32 AM
    I put my plans to buy a Priv on hold since JC said a new PKB was coming. But, if you need a phone right away, there are worse phones you could buy. BB10 is dead, so you may as well get an Android, and Priv is your only choice for Android + PKB for now. Maybe in 5-6 months, there will be another...if JC doesn't change his mind again. I will wait a couple of months for any news, then decide whether to continue waiting, or go for the Priv.
    11-14-16 08:49 AM
    I put my plans to buy a Priv on hold since JC said a new PKB was coming. But, if you need a phone right away, there are worse phones you could buy. BB10 is dead, so you may as well get an Android, and Priv is your only choice for Android + PKB for now. Maybe in 5-6 months, there will be another...if JC doesn't change his mind again. I will wait a couple of months for any news, then decide whether to continue waiting, or go for the Priv.
    It is exactly what I am thinking: I need a device with a PKB, plus, I am in love with Blackberry, plus, by the 31st of december Whatsapp (which for me it's not only an app to "play" with friends, but a tool for my job) will stop, so I need a BB with Android. I would have loved a BB Mercury, but I cannot even imagine if it will ever exist
    11-15-16 01:32 AM
    It is exactly what I am thinking: I need a device with a PKB, plus, I am in love with Blackberry, plus, by the 31st of december Whatsapp (which for me it's not only an app to "play" with friends, but a tool for my job) will stop, so I need a BB with Android. I would have loved a BB Mercury, but I cannot even imagine if it will ever exist
    The PRIV is a great device, although the keyboard is not as good as that of the Passport or Classic, it gets the job done.

While the Mercury hasn't been officially announced, John Chen has stated that he has a physical keyboard (in-house built) in the works and pending launch.

Likewise, WhatsApp has just announced a change in the end of life date for the BB10 app to June 30, 2017. Thus you could also wait a bit for the upcoming pkb device.

Posted via CB10
    11-15-16 02:39 AM
    The PRIV is a great device, although the keyboard is not as good as that of the Passport or Classic, it gets the job done.

While the Mercury hasn't been officially announced, John Chen has stated that he has a physical keyboard (in-house built) in the works and pending launch.

Likewise, WhatsApp has just announced a change in the end of life date for the BB10 app to June 30, 2017. Thus you could also wait a bit for the upcoming pkb device.

Posted via CB10
    I didn't know about the change of date... That could be a good news, but I actually have a BB Bold 9900, I really can't say right now if this delay is valid for this model too. My concern about the Priv is mostly about the ergonomic issues: I think it could be unconfortable to hold the phone in one hand ( for me it's a plus when you can type one handed) , especially when the PKB is out of the chassis.
    11-15-16 03:30 AM
    I would agree with most here saying it is a great phone. I've yet to use the pkb I don't like it as much as the passport. The overall experience is very good. I'd say it is still worth getting. I was the type to upgrade right away with the newest phone, I just got my priv in the summer. No regrets.
    11-15-16 04:01 AM
    WhatsApp's support for BBOS and BB10 has been extended until mid 2017.

11-15-16 06:26 AM
43 12