So i am ready for an upgrade, after missing out on android with my Q10 i went with a Sony Xperia Z3. It has been atrocious. The back glass cracked the day i got it, the screen has these orangeish burn looking sections on one side (happened during warranty, They wouldn't repair it unless i paid $200 to fix the back glass). And now the vibrating motor is dead.

I had a few BB phones back in the day (Pearl , Bold, Q10) and i am curious if the Priv has that BB build quality that i would be used to. I have strayed and used a few droid phones in between, and my work phone is an Iphone which is good and bad. But i miss having a well built phone without a bunch of gimmicks that works well (and i like the pkb).

I also am waiting for Telus to lower the price here in Canada, so i have some time to think on it.
    ( 0$ 2 year 5gb on Rogers, 49$ 2 year 5gb on bell, 410$ 2 year 5gb on telus WTF)
    10-05-16 10:29 AM
    I think the first batch of priv has been terrible. However, recently the build quality has been good (that's what I read). Thinking of getting another one in case bb stop making pkb phones

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    RobertP1 likes this.
    10-05-16 10:35 AM
    I'm on my third week with my new Priv. Was aware of the negative reviews on the build quality, the clicky screen, overheating, atrocious battery life. Happy to report that I don't experience any of these on my Priv. Battery life is superior to that of my Samsung A8. With moderate use, my Priv can last two days, or roughly 5 hours screen time. I'm likewise thinking of getting another Priv as a backup....

RobertP1 likes this.
    10-05-16 10:53 AM
    I think the first batch of priv has been terrible. However, recently the build quality has been good (that's what I read). Thinking of getting another one in case bb stop making pkb phones

Sounds reasonable, thanks!
    10-05-16 02:00 PM
    I'm on my third week with my new Priv. Was aware of the negative reviews on the build quality, the clicky screen, overheating, atrocious battery life. Happy to report that I don't experience any of these on my Priv. Battery life is superior to that of my Samsung A8. With moderate use, my Priv can last two days, or roughly 5 hours screen time. I'm likewise thinking of getting another Priv as a backup....

The few with problems tend to be the loudest, and that is totally fair. 5 hours SoT sounds good to me, i just need my carrier to stop being dumb.
    10-05-16 02:01 PM
    I was hesitant to buy it, but it is probably the best phone I've ever had. Very solidly built and easy to use. It's BlackBerry version of Android is also really nice. It's just the right blend of the two operating systems.

RobertP1 likes this.
    10-05-16 02:18 PM
    I think it's still worth it. So much so that I just ordered a replacement for my cracked - screen Priv.

Posted via CB PRIV.
    10-05-16 02:57 PM
    .....atrocious battery life.
    The battery life on my PRIV is among the best on any smartphone I've ever owned.

10-05-16 03:45 PM
    I have the phone since December, it's absolutely solid and the build quality is excellent!

Posted via my BlackBerry Priv
    RobertP1 likes this.
    10-05-16 05:25 PM
    I was hesitant to buy it, but it is probably the best phone I've ever had. Very solidly built and easy to use. It's BlackBerry version of Android is also really nice. It's just the right blend of the two operating systems.

I LOVE reading this. I want to give the Priv another shot. I had one on launch and had many of the problems that we read about. I ended up issuing the Priv to another employee who is not a heavy user and has had no problems with it and is really enjoying it.
    10-05-16 05:45 PM
    The battery life on my PRIV is among the best on any smartphone I've ever owned.

It is so funny that I have heard many people say the same thing about the battery.. The best and worst that they ever had! LOL
    andy957 and skinnymike1 like this.
    10-05-16 05:46 PM
    Just ordered a Priv as a free hardware upgrade on my Bell plan. Love my Passport but for free I will try Blackberry Android...looking forward to it...the friends Priv I tried blew me away...solid quality build, smooth operating and love the slider

Posted via CB10
    10-05-16 07:56 PM
    Depends on the price. You can buy it contract free for $300 or so and that would be the only way i recommend doing it
    skinnymike1 likes this.
    10-05-16 08:00 PM
    I just ordered one on contact for$99. I have 15 days to test drive it
    10-05-16 09:03 PM
    Absolutely.... It is a very nice phone.
    Highly recommended. What other option for those who want a physical keyboard....now that we know BlackBerry OS is at the end of its life.
    I just hope they will continue the SW enhancement for the PRIV....it has so much potential to be even more unique.
    Imagine if we can do handwriting input on the physical keyboard surface as if it is a drawing pad?!

10-05-16 09:31 PM
    The PRIV is, for the most part, a well-built and gimmicky phone sporting a PKB. If that's what you're looking for, then I'd say get a PRIV.
    chuckiev79 likes this.
    10-05-16 10:25 PM
    It is nice, isn't it? The keyboard is actually pretty awesome, and it has a very nice balance to it. But it's not finished yet. I'm really disappointed in how many features I'd grown to depend on in BB10 that haven't made their way into their android phone as of yet.

Please, BlackBerry, don't give up on this phone yet! The kind of people your phones really appeal to are crazy busy and run their lives with their phones. They are not about to give up their Bolds and Z30s and Passports just because something new is out there. Especially when that new thing takes time to learn and get used to- time these kinds of people seldom have to spare.

But eventually they will have to replace them, and they will want to have another BlackBerry that does what they bought their last one for - to help them get **** done. This one has that potential - if you finish it!

So don't be in such a damn rush to write off your new phones, Mr. Chen! I've never seen such a CEO that is so adept at putting a question mark over the fate of all his products. He scares off people who might otherwise had been interested, but certainly not enough to risk $900 on a potentially orphaned phone. So why do that? Hire some BlackBerry fan superacheiver like Chris Hadfield as a spokesperson (a bonafide Passport user, by the way) and hide Mr. Chen somewhere far from any media.

rickkel, andy957 and Jrox74 like this.
    10-05-16 10:53 PM
    It is so funny that I have heard many people say the same thing about the battery.. The best and worst that they ever had! LOL
    The Priv was a victim of every early build and adoption product. Users expectation was too high combine that with both a bad batch of early builds as well as heating issues running on lollipop and there's a recipe for disaster. Lucky for people like me who waited 6 month's. By the time I decided to make the transition from my Z30, the Priv was getting updated with Marshmallow and my build quality was great.

Posted via the PrivZilla!
    10-06-16 02:07 AM
    The only issue I have found with my Priv has been the clickiness of the back cover which is widely reported. Everything else has been really good. I actually really like the physical keyboard and can tolerate the virtual one. It's definitely a better compromise from BlackBerry 10 than I was expecting.

JB

10-07-16 05:23 AM
    I think the Priv is definitely a good phone. I used it for months as a daily driver, but couldn't get used to Android. In the hands of the right user, it's a good blend of Android with a couple of BB tweaks. If you can deal with android, like the hub, and understand its Android before BB on the phone, I say go for it.
    10-07-16 08:16 AM
    I picked up my Priv in June. It is a great phone. It helps to have a mentor to help you as you learn how to harness all the customization options to best meet your needs.

Mine is a solid phone that is quite powerful. It helps me get done what I need to get done. The Marshmallow upgrade made a big difference in battery life and over all performance for me. Looking forward to upgrading it to Nougat when BlackBerry has secured it.
    10-07-16 08:35 AM
    I've had a Priv since the UK release. It's been great so far. I'm not really a pkb person so I can't really comment how it compares with other pkb phones, but I can say I find the touch enabled area is useful, once I got my head around the idea and got some practice. The back creaks a little (it's an early one, people say they do that, and the newer ones don't) but I don't even notice any more. Overall it feels well built. The back is nice and grippy, slightly soft finish. and there are no nasty aluminium panels to dent and burr. It's been dropped a few times and shows no sign of damage. The price for one of these is right down compared to what it was on the release date, and the software has improved and improved, and looks set to just keep getting better. Word on the forums is it should get Nougat, as the hardware would certainly support it. A lot of the early reviews of the device were when it was on Lollipop, so those reviews are a bit irrelevant now.
    FF22 likes this.
    10-07-16 10:21 AM
    The Priv was a victim of every early build and adoption product. Users expectation was too high combine that with both a bad batch of early builds as well as heating issues running on lollipop and there's a recipe for disaster. Lucky for people like me who waited 6 month's. By the time I decided to make the transition from my Z30, the Priv was getting updated with Marshmallow and my build quality was great.

Posted via the PrivZilla!
    I got the priv last Christmas and although I loved it then and still do now, initially the software was clearly not ready for primetime. This hurt it's reviews and having a bunch of different models didn't help with the build quality consistency.
    10-07-16 11:59 AM
    Thanks for the thoughts, after having a nice long discussion with my carrier i ordered one at 0$ last night. Should be here tues / weds. I went to a store that had one on display for me to play with, and the screen was better then i remember. cant wait for the device to come.
    FF22 and RobertP1 like this.
    10-07-16 12:04 PM
    So it came in the mail yesterday, and my initial reaction was one of nervousness. While it was downloading like crazy, i tried plugging into my work computer for some juice and while it registered as charging, it still died at the same rate, and it was HOT. I didnt play with it much last night outside of some light browsing, but today we will see how a full battery does on MM now. So far i tried a couple games today and it has gotten warm playing them, but not as hot as it was yesterday. The test continues!
    10-12-16 10:19 AM
50 12