I get notifications on bb10 in the hub from android apps so I think on android if apps use the standard Google jargon for notifications...it might come through the hub. That would great if it does. Man, they need to get these reviews rolling!

Posted via CB10
    swaggardo, 00stryder and nick13b like this.
    10-25-15 06:43 AM
    Im by no means a computer software engineer, but it seems the programmers at BlackBerry are pretty dam good at engineering Android and bringing over all of their features.. it wouldnt surprise me if they found a way to grab data from official apps through the standard APIs and insert the notifications and shortcuts into the hub ala. BB10

Posted via CB10
    Actually BB10 Hub works a bit different than just grabbing the data, it relies on the third party developers to integrate it. For example, for WhatsApp, when you open a chat in BlackBerry, the chat dialog does not come up as an app, but rather the Hub itself access the message dialog directly and screen is "integrated" with the Hub instead of opening the app card. On Android this won't be the case, my guess.

Personally I think this might be a bit better, as there are some really poor examples on Hub integration, namely Google Talk (ironically released by BlackBerry themselves) and WeChat. I much rather have it just open the app to the message dialog. It's less efficient than full Hub integration, but I think it would work more reliably. I can't count how many times Google Talk disconnected and I have no idea.
    Last edited by ToniCipriani; 10-25-15 at 06:47 AM. Reason: grammar
    10-25-15 06:45 AM
    This is awesome. It confirms features I was concerned about:
    1. Per account LED colors;
    2. Per account colors in hub;
    3. Per contact ringtones;
    4. Per account numbers of vibrate notifications.

I'm happy.

Oh. And Productivity Edge is awesome.

Everything else looks great too.

There is no description on On-device search but I'm hoping it is just like Universal Search like we are used to.
    10-25-15 06:46 AM
    This is awesome. It confirms features I was concerned about:
    1. Per account LED colors;
    2. Per account colors in hub;
    3. Per contact ringtones;
    4. Per account numbers of vibrate notifications.

I'm happy.

Oh. And Productivity Edge is awesome.

Everything else looks great too.

There is no description on On-device search but I'm hoping it is just like Universal Search like we are used to.
    Strangely BlackBerry Assistant is not under Special Features, but it is shown in the past, in particular in the Baka leak.

Javid Gozalov and nick13b like this.
    10-25-15 06:50 AM
    Actually BB10 Hub works a bit different than just grabbing the data, it relies on the third party developers to integrate it. For example, for WhatsApp, when you open a chat in BlackBerry, the chat dialog does not come up as an app, but rather the Hub itself access the message dialog directly. On Android this won't be the case, my guess.

Personally I think this might be a bit better, as there are some really poor examples on Hub integration, namely Google Talk (ironically released by BlackBerry themselves) and WeChat. I much rather it just opens the app to the message dialog. It's less efficient than full Hub integration, but I think it would work more reliably. I can't count how many times Google Talk disconnected and I have no idea.
    BlackBerry 10 indeed opens an instance of the app (the conversation) instead the whole app. WhatsApp is waiting for approval for its app for Hub integration on Priv and I'm wondering if it will work the same way as BlackBerry 10. I don't know much about Android development, but it shouldn't be hard if Android allows you to open just an instance of an app.

Posted via CB10
    10-25-15 06:50 AM
    BlackBerry 10 indeed opens an instance of the app (the conversation) instead the whole app. WhatsApp is waiting for approval for its app for Hub integration on Priv and I'm wondering if it will work the same way as BlackBerry 10. I don't know much about Android development, but it shouldn't be hard if Android allows you to open just an instance of an app.

Posted via CB10
    Well problem with development is that developers tend to take the path with least resistance. Few will go through the approval process to do the proper integration, when there is "basic integration" where they don't need to do anything.
    10-25-15 06:52 AM
    I'm so freaking happy it has the words above the keys in the pkb
    Attachment 377369

Posted via CB10
    As a z10 and z3 user, I'm so happy to see this vkb on priv. The best virtual keyboard I've ever used.
    nick13b likes this.
    10-25-15 06:52 AM

Posted via CB10
    Do you know how long this permission takes to be granted? I use WhatsApp literally all day so being able to access it through the Hub rather than opening the app is an absolute God-send
    10-25-15 06:53 AM
    Do you know how long this permission takes to be granted? I use WhatsApp literally all day so being able to access it through the Hub rather than opening the app is an absolute God-send
    Based on my experience with iOS and BlackBerry 10, it takes a week or two. Which can be shorter for the bigger names, which WhatsApp certainly is. My guess is that it will be there when the first people start receiving their phones. If everything's ok. Fingers crossed! You know, there is a WhatsApp thread here on CB. U might wanna check that and ask the guy about it. He's pretty responsive. It's the longest WhatsApp thead ever, good luck.

Posted via CB10
    totaldynamic likes this.
    10-25-15 06:56 AM
    Well problem with development is that developers tend to take the path with least resistance. Few will go through the approval process to do the proper integration, when there is "basic integration" where they don't need to do anything.
    True and my experience with WhatsApp on BlackBerry 10 has been fantastic. There were some hickups in the beginning, but they were committed to the platform and did everything the 'right' way. We'll have to wait and see!

Posted via CB10
    10-25-15 06:57 AM
    The pop-up widgets seems a great idea - any other Android OEM doing that?
    No android OEM doing that. But Action Launcher 3 has that as an option. It is very convenient as it allows you to avoid taking up a lot of space with widgets on your home screens.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    cgk and gvs1341 like this.
    10-25-15 07:02 AM
    Is simulator available to download and test?

Z30 10.3.2.2789 thru CB10
    10-25-15 07:03 AM
    Is simulator available to download and test?

Z30 10.3.2.2789 thru CB10
    It's not a "simulator" per se, more like a guided tutorial.
    10-25-15 07:05 AM
    So does this actually confirm third party support in the Hub?

http://i.imgur.com/bcfvrwd.png

Pretty sure BlackBerry didn't write the Facebook and Twitter apps on Android.
    what about whatsapp??
    That's a make it or break it for me!!

Posted via CB10
    10-25-15 07:12 AM
    I'm psyched about this phone!!
    Just needs to come to sprint,
    And....
    Do tonz of markerting!!!

Posted via CB10
    XPirion likes this.
    10-25-15 07:14 AM

Posted via CB10
    Maybe we are over thinking it and hub on android just collects together notifications as other apps of this type do?

Sent from my LG-D802 using Tapatalk
    10-25-15 07:20 AM
    what about whatsapp??
    That's a make it or break it for me!!

Posted via CB10
    Why don't you ask dkonigsberg_wa?
    10-25-15 07:22 AM
    Thanks OP for posting the tutorial. Many doubts solved. Somehow many BlackBerry 10 features have survived the transfer to android. This phone is well worth a look.

Posted via CB10 from Passport
    10-25-15 07:23 AM
    Maybe we are over thinking it and hub on android just collects together notifications as other apps of this type do?

I'm actually wondering what's this "WhatsApp is waiting for approval" for the Priv business is.
    cgk and SharifHassan like this.
    10-25-15 07:23 AM
    What happened to the three dots under some apps? Did they take this feature out?

Posted via CB10
    10-25-15 07:26 AM
    I'm actually wondering what's this "WhatsApp is waiting for approval" for the Priv business is.
    Looking around Google seems to be an investor in an app called snowball that is intended to aggregate notifications
    10-25-15 07:28 AM

We could be, but it's all based on how it worked on BlackBerry 10. Doesn't necessarily mean that it will work the same way with Android, but blame us for thinking so. I'm happy if it will open the conversation upon tapping from hub and if I can go back to the Hub with the back button. It would suck if the notification would open the app in the state I left it last time.

Posted via CB10
    La Emperor likes this.
    10-25-15 07:32 AM
    For those of you who know more about bb10 than me might be worth reading the MUST requirements in android compliance - might give some clues

10-25-15 07:44 AM
    Why did I just look at all this? My wallet is about to scream.
    10-25-15 07:44 AM
    Looking around Google seems to be an investor in an app called snowball that is intended to aggregate notifications
    Snowball: The Messaging Inbox to Rule Them All

It does look like a viable BB Hub "killer." Wouldn't surprise me to see the Hub go the way of Docs to Go.
    calicocat2010 likes this.
    10-25-15 07:46 AM
386 1234 ...