Hi guys! This morning my Priv just started resetting itself endlessly.

It is the factory unlocked US model; I just installed the latest software update, Android 6 of course, no rooting or anything weird. It is encrypted with the default Blackberry software.

I tried holding down the power button and volume down key and did indeed get the green bootloader menu, but I couldn't choose any of the four options by pressing the volume keys as I read on the internet, and the phone quickly reset itself out of that menu anyways.

Also, I tried holding down power + volume down for 32 seconds to force it into "fastboot" so I could use the BlackBerry-supplied "autoloader" to fix it, but it just reset itself instead of going into fastboot mode, and the endless loop continues!

I've also tried holding down just the power button for well over 30 seconds, but that does not interrupt the cycle.

Finally, holding power + the middle button between volume up and down brings up a different screen with yellow text saying "BOOT MODE" and telling me to hold the power button for 15 seconds to reboot the device. Well, I released the middle button, held down power for 15 seconds (with no resetting in those 15 seconds), and finally it reset... and the cycle of resetting resumed :'(

Most of the time it resets itself before it gets to the stage where you see the triangle, circle, and square symbols spinning. Maybe 10% of the time it gets to that phase but then resets.

Prior to this, I noticed weird behavior connecting to my car's bluetooth stereo after the update (it would skip maybe 50% of the time) but that's it.

My poor Priv! It was my favorite phone ever until today...

What can I do? Let the battery run down? Take it apart and pull the battery?
    Message tech support? I see they want $35 and don't even offer a refund if they can't fix it. Sure glad I gave BlackBerry a try and had them apparently brick my phone with a bad update!
    Last edited by PoorPriv; 06-09-17 at 01:41 PM.
    06-09-17 12:48 PM
    Ok, well I couldn't find anything on the internet, but I held down power+middle button (mute), and immediately when the yellow screen appeared I plugged it into my computer (Win10x64) and ran the fastboot script. Now the boot cycle has stopped, the screen is black, and the notification LED is flashing green. The command prompt says <waiting for device>. Hmmm
    06-09-17 02:02 PM
    Ok, well that appears to have fixed it. Nice of Blackberry's crappy support not to tell you to press power+middle button (rather, they said power+volume down, which didn't work), to assure you that holding power for 32 seconds would solve all ills, and probably to have caused the problem in the first place with their untested update.

Serves as a good lesson to back up my "reliable", "corporate-level" Priv more often.
    06-09-17 02:42 PM
    Oh my, looking at the lack of replies to your title really hurts me, OP. As a matter of fact, my BB Priv also gave up the ghost and did that 'Bootloop of Death' cycle 3 weeks ago. Bought it a year back, 10 months on using it, the FIRST bootloop happened. As it is still covered by warranty by the retailer (not BB though, local warranty just jacked up the price of the phone by a lot here in Malaysia), so I sent the phone back for repairs that took a month.

When I did received the phone back, all is cool and dandy till just two weeks after (which is somewhere 20th of May) when the damned problem comes back. Left the phone on the table after a full charge, disconnected the cable and went to sleep. Woke up in the morning only to notice the phone is doing its' bootloop affair till the battery is drained.

The consensus said that this could be due to the problematic 808 Snap SOC that they used, which is prone to overheating and bad soldering. LG G5 and V10 uses 808 too and it's plagued by the same bootloop issues that our BB Privs experienced.

Thankfully the retailer still honor the warranty even though it only have about two weeks left before expiring. Regardless, my patience and loyalty with Blackberry is utterly destroyed. I've been using theirs since Torch, moved to Q10 before the Priv. Torch is plagued by the flimsy ribbon cable, Q10 BB10 OS is great, but BB pulled the support plug out of it and Priv with their wonky back and overheat + bootloop-prone SOC is the final straw for me. And from the look of it, looks like they're not planning to bring Nougat to it too....

I can't give a rat's *** on Blackberry's commitment on security either. I've put all of my passwords on the phone 'Password Keeper', decided not to backup my contacts on the Google's server, with confidence that Priv won't go nuts in the first year. Yet it does, and I learned my lesson too from it.
    PoorPriv likes this.
    06-09-17 04:55 PM
    Hey, thanks for the response sandpenguin. Faulty SOC sounds likely, since after I managed to restore/hard reset my phone I'm now getting the same exact problem again. I'm glad you commented to let me know this is the cause so I didn't waste time looking for software fixes. Yes, it has really destroyed my faith in BlackBerry too. Unfortunately my warranty expired 6 months ago...

Well, it was great while it lasted, Blackberry. The Priv truly was the best phone I've ever had, until it stopped working. Time to go back to boring Samsung I guess...
    Last edited by PoorPriv; 06-09-17 at 09:13 PM.
    06-09-17 06:20 PM
    Hey, thanks for the response sandpenguin. Faulty cap sounds likely, since after I managed to restore/hard reset my phone I'm now getting the same exact problem again. I'm glad you commented to let me know this is the cause so I didn't waste time looking for software fixes. Yes, it has really destroyed my faith in BlackBerry too. Unfortunately my warranty expired 6 months ago...

Well, it was great while it lasted, Blackberry. The Priv truly was the best phone I've ever had, until it stopped working. Time to go back to boring Samsung I guess...
    In the processing, did you try reloading the OS? I can't quite tell. I understand the exasperation.

You can find Autoloaders in a Sticky at the top of this forum.
    06-09-17 09:09 PM
    Sorry, yeah, in the end I did discover how to reload the OS, but that only helped for a few hours and then my poor Priv was back to the endless cycle of death.
    06-09-17 09:12 PM
    I've had this happen three times this calendar year and, obviously, panicked. it ended up either fixing itself or my constant restarting it did, each time. glad yours is working again
    06-10-17 11:04 AM
    I've had this happen three times this calendar year and, obviously, panicked. it ended up either fixing itself or my constant restarting it did, each time. glad yours is working again
    Well, actually it started endlessly resetting a few hours after I autoloaded the OS, so I've already given up on it... :'(
    06-10-17 01:23 PM
    I hear all your problems been without my Priv on 7 months had issues with charging port the return to store after it went in to boot mode with constant loop waited 3 months to get it back with new battery lasted 2 wks did OS update and killed it with black screen blue flashing light mid Feb been told there replacing it still waiting it is now way out of wty due to amount of denial Form store of the issues and dealing with it sooner

Posted via CB10
    06-10-17 07:53 PM