Hi, just wondering. When outside and the sun shining, is it normal Priv display is a good as unreadable?!? Just as a comparison, the Classic laying next to it is still okay to read.

Posted via CB10
    05-06-18 11:57 AM
    Hi, just wondering. When outside and the sun shining, is it normal Priv display is a good as unreadable?!? Just as a comparison, the Classic laying next to it is still okay to read.

Posted via CB10
    I have the same issue. It's because of the AMOLED screen. They aren't the best in the sun
    05-06-18 12:00 PM
    Thanks.

Another thing that seems to happen. When the phone has been screen off for say an hour the screen starts quite bright. Then after some minutes brightness reduces.

Screen off followed within some minutes by a new screen activation doesn't bring back original brightness. Only a long time screen off gives the higher brightness again.

Changing sleep setting doesn't change anything. Adaptive brightness is off. An autoloader (which happened over time to try pointer mode) had no effect on this behaviour either.

Anybody encountered this, or beter, solved this?

Posted via CB10
    05-07-18 10:57 AM
    If adaptive brightness is off, you won't see much of anything in the sun. Turn it on. I use the Priv all the time in the sun, even at the equator, I have no problems seeing the screen, unless adaptive brightness is off.
    05-07-18 11:44 AM
    If adaptive brightness is off, you won't see much of anything in the sun. Turn it on. I use the Priv all the time in the sun, even at the equator, I have no problems seeing the screen, unless adaptive brightness is off.
    Doesn't adaptive brightness eat the battery really fast though. On my old iPod touch 4th gen it killed the battery in a few hours that's why I have it off. Is this the same with the Priv. I might turn it back on if it doesn't wreck the battery.
    05-07-18 01:18 PM
    Doesn't adaptive brightness eat the battery really fast though. On my old iPod touch 4th gen it killed the battery in a few hours that's why I have it off. Is this the same with the Priv. I might turn it back on if it doesn't wreck the battery.
    I guess if you can't see the screen to use the phone, you won't use the phone, and save a lot of battery. Then again, if you actually want to see the screen so you can use it, you could turn on adaptive brightness and use the phone. Your choice.

Generally speaking, I have adaptive brightness turned off if I am inside for a long time, but I turn it on before going outside. If I will be in and out a lot, I just leave it turned on.

So, people can complain and say the Priv screen is unreadable in the sun, or use it as designed, with adaptive brightness tuned on, and actually realize there is nothing wrong with the screen.

As for battery life? I originally began turning adaptive brightness off to save battery life. I have found it doesn't make a lot of difference to me. I generally leave it off insider because I like the way I have the screen set inside, and don't want it turned down. It states the way I want it no matter the conditions I encounter inside.
    05-07-18 01:25 PM
    I guess if you can't see the screen to use the phone, you won't use the phone, and save a lot of battery. Then again, if you actually want to see the screen so you can use it, you could turn on adaptive brightness and use the phone. Your choice.

Generally speaking, I have adaptive brightness turned off if I am inside for a long time, but I turn it on before going outside. If I will be in and out a lot, I just leave it turned on.

So, people can complain and say the Priv screen is unreadable in the sun, or use it as designed, with adaptive brightness tuned on, and actually realize there is nothing wrong with the screen.

As for battery life? I originally began turning adaptive brightness off to save battery life. I have found it doesn't make a lot of difference to me. I generally leave it off insider because I like the way I have the screen set inside, and don't want it turned down. It states the way I want it no matter the conditions I encounter inside.
    Thanks I will try that.
    05-07-18 01:28 PM
    Thanks I will try that.
    I added an Adaptive Brightness icon to the quick settings screen using System UI Tuner. It makes it easier to quickly access the setting.
    05-07-18 01:31 PM
    I'll try this too. Sometimes I can't see **** as soon as I step out of the car
    05-08-18 06:19 AM
    Thanks I will try that.
    I've concluded the adaptive brightness is good on the Priv but when you take the phone out of your pocket it takes about 4 seconds to adapt, and it adapts quicker if you face the screen (approximately) into the sun (for 4sec if you care for that much activity) then turn it to your face to read it. Also adaptive brightness SEEMS to be effected by the base level brightness that you set. For example I have set screen brightness at about 65% and turned on adaptive brightness. If I set it to 100% and turn on adaptive brightness my screen seems to start off brighter and sooner, but in low light it's just too bright and (I guess) uses more battery.
    05-08-18 08:34 AM
    Just a recap. Adaptive brightness make the screen go brighter than the maximum brightness setting available when adaptive brightness switched off?!? Interesting.

Posted via CB10
    05-08-18 02:48 PM
    To make sure sure all settings are described explicitly: the brightness is set to maximum during the 2 situations described above.

Posted via CB10
    05-08-18 02:54 PM
    The proper way to set adaptive brightness is in an area with your most common usage lighting.
    Turn adaptive OFF, set level to what you want, then turn adaptive on. It will do a fair job of keeping the screen at that level of visibility. But note that it does not adjust real fast, it can take a number of seconds if it's a large adjustment from baseline. And 3 or 4 seconds fells like 20 minutes when you are staring at a phone screen.
    'Velis Auto Bright" works very well, in the Play Store, you can adjust how fast it reacts, how much range, etc, etc.
    05-08-18 07:41 PM
    Just a recap. Adaptive brightness make the screen go brighter than the maximum brightness setting available when adaptive brightness switched off?!? Interesting.
    No, 100% is all you can get. Kinda like a light bulb with a dimmer. If it were possible to overdrive the screen, it wouldn't last long.
    05-08-18 07:46 PM
    No, 100% is all you can get. Kinda like a light bulb with a dimmer. If it were possible to overdrive the screen, it wouldn't last long.
    Thanks, was assuming that.

So adaptive brightness brings nothing here.

What else can give the poor performance of my screen, as it appears not all Priv screens suffer that much.

I doubt it is the screen itself actually. The screen was replaced under warranty after some vertical lines appeared. Line screen and new screen had/have the same poor performance.

Posted via CB10
    05-09-18 02:37 AM
    So adaptive brightness brings nothing here.
    If I'm remembering correctly, adaptive has a range less than the full range of adjustment.
    So if you are out in full sun a lot, turn it off and adjust manually. Or use Velis.
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...uto.brightness
    And as somebody noted above, OLED's aren't the best for full sun.
    05-09-18 05:35 AM
    THat's interesting, because I just set my display a few minutes ago to 100%, then went outside. I then activated Adaptive brightness, and the screen got brighter. I did it a umber of times and the result was always the same. Setting the screen to 100% manually, was dimmer than it was once Adaptive brightness was turned on.

Anyway, I have always used Adaptive brightness outside, and have never had issues. Maybe I just never really thought about it, but I spend a lot of time in the tropics on the deck of ships, and haven't had issues. I am sure there are brighter screens, but it works for me.
    05-09-18 01:23 PM
    100%, then went outside. I then activated Adaptive brightness, and the screen got brighter.
    Interesting, not what the online explanations say, course they were mainly about LCD's.
    Wouldn't be the first time the online stuff, (or me) was wrong. Though I did try that back in 2016 and couldn't see any difference. Looks like a bright sunny day is arriving here, I'll have to try it again.
    It's gonna be rather subjective, but give us your best estimate as to how much more you got. 2%, 5%, more?
    05-10-18 08:01 AM
    Interesting, not what the online explanations say, course they were mainly about LCD's.
    Wouldn't be the first time the online stuff, (or me) was wrong. Though I did try that back in 2016 and couldn't see any difference. Looks like a bright sunny day is arriving here, I'll have to try it again.
    It's gonna be rather subjective, but give us your best estimate as to how much more you got. 2%, 5%, more?
    Yeah, hard to quantify. I just did it again. Inside, I set the display brightness to 100% with adaptive brightness on. I went outside, and it brightened noticeably. It's more an issue of, sort of hard to see, to better. I then turned off adaptive brightness, and the screen dimmed. I checked and the display brightness was still at 100%.

The screen may not be the best in bright sun, but as I said, I am routinely in very bright sun, often at or near the equator on the deck of a ship. I have never really had an issue with the screen, provided adaptive brightness is turned on. There is a reason for things like adaptive brightness, to not use it, and then complain the screen is unreadable, is not valid, since it is not the screen that is at fault in that situation, it is simply the incorrect use of the settings in that situation.

On a day to day basis, I keep my display brightness to below 50%, if I go outside with adaptive brightness turned on, I can see the screen. Pretty simple really.
    05-10-18 02:12 PM
    Thursday turned out to be too cloudy, Fri was good, but I kept forgetting. Finally tried it yesterday about noon.
    Uninstalled Velis and rebooted, just to make sure it wasn't involved. brightness at 100, auto off, let it point at sun for a minute or so, then turned auto on. Immediate increase in brightness, maybe 5 to 7%.
    Then turned auto off, set brightness at 50, auto back on, moved from shade to light, it went pretty bright, though it took a couple of seconds. No problem using in direct sun. Apparently Google, or BB, or both have made some improvements to auto brightness since 2016.
    I'm going back to Velis though, not sure if adjusts any further, but it is way faster at doing so. Don't like pulling out of holster and staring at screen while it slowly gets usable.
    PHughes likes this.
    05-13-18 11:24 AM
    Some weeks now running on self adjusting brightness whereas earlier I manually had it at always 100%.

Somehow indeed in bright sunlight visibility is better know.

Thanks for the tip!

Posted via CB10
    PHughes likes this.
    06-14-18 08:23 AM