I got a new screen protector for my Priv and I thought I'd share my impressions. It is a "Tempered Glass Curved Full Cover Coverage Screen Protector For Blackberry Priv" that was 9.55 USD. Here is a link: Tempered Glass Curved Full Cover Coverage Screen Protector for Blackberry Priv | eBay.

It came well protected, with no instructions, and three items. First, a "wet" towelette labeled "1" , to presumably be used first. It smelled of alcohol. The number 2 was a dry towelette that looked like it gets lint. The third item was the screen protector itself, which had a removable film on the inside surface.

Pretty straight forward.

I have to say that it completely covers the screen with very little gap on any side and it does match the curve of the screen. I had no air bubbles and when I dropped it on (easy to line up) it stayed put. Took 60 seconds.

For the sake of science I carefully pried it up. No issues. Went right back down. You just line it up at the bottom lip of the screen and, owing to the curved sides, drop it. This is the easiest screen protector install I've ever done, on numerous phones.

The protector is very clear and allows the front facing camera, notification light, etc. to see through. The only unexpected feature is that since the glass is thick, there is no ridge to slide the phone shut with a fingernail at the bottom of the screen. The cutouts are perfect and I don't perceive any change in the responsiveness of the screen to touch.

A win.

For what it's worth.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android (Priv)
    FF22 likes this.
    07-18-16 05:10 PM
    I've tried about 4 or 5 different glass screen protectors and all of them were same. Low quality and the screen was very washed out and finger print magnet. Is this one the same? And how do you like it so far?
    07-18-16 07:20 PM
    It is very clear though with a burning, angled, East Texas sun I think I lose some clarity.

It also claims to repel finger oil (oleophobic?) but that's a damnable lie. The bare screen repels better.

Still, I like it. I've already forgotten it is there and I'm a heavy user--many hours of screen time since install. For 10 dollars I have no complaints. I didn't put a protector or case on my Note 4 and it looks a little chewed up; I always regretted that and vowed not to repeat the mistake. I've only had one broken screen in 49 years (or so many of them as cell phones existed) but I've had quite a few scratched ones.

Now if my Chinese leather case arrives, life will be complete. If it isn't leather from a COW (as opposed to an oil barrel) I'll be sorely disappointed.

FF22 likes this.
    07-18-16 10:39 PM
    Thanks for the heads up and review.
    Think I'll have to try one myself. I'm currently using a Skinomi wet applied protector but I prefer the look and feel of glass. Haven't really had any problems with the Skinomi but would prefer glass.
    Please keep us posted after a day or so of use. Would be interesting to see how the glass holds up and if it stays adhered to the phone.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    07-18-16 11:33 PM
    It is very clear though with a burning, angled, East Texas sun I think I lose some clarity.

It also claims to repel finger oil (oleophobic?) but that's a damnable lie. The bare screen repels better.

Still, I like it. I've already forgotten it is there and I'm a heavy user--many hours of screen time since install. For 10 dollars I have no complaints. I didn't put a protector or case on my Note 4 and it looks a little chewed up; I always regretted that and vowed not to repeat the mistake. I've only had one broken screen in 49 years (or so many of them as cell phones existed) but I've had quite a few scratched ones.

Now if my Chinese leather case arrives, life will be complete. If it isn't leather from a COW (as opposed to an oil barrel) I'll be sorely disappointed.

I'm still chuckling but vegans of the world will celebrate!
    07-18-16 11:54 PM
    Indeed. I am a vegan who cheats (often... a carnivegan), but I don't figure that they kill a cow just for cell phone cases so why let it go to waste. My tiny packet from Shezuan or wherever is still in transit, but I am revisiting the screen protector for posterity. I am actually a little afraid of the case because I read on another thread that our camera lens can be dented with a finger or pocket items and I am having trouble imagining how I will get the case off without touching the lens. On to better things...

After what, three days?... the screen protector is firmly in place and shows no signs of moving at all. I am not going to press my luck by pulling it up again, but a tentative tug convinced me that it is more secure than my wedding band that I never take off so I'd call it a win in that regard. There are no bubbles, hair, lint, or anything else that mars its visual function. The forward facing camera does not take any crappier pictures than it did before, even though it is covered by the protector. Looking at the phone it just looks like it has a nice,. thick, glossy screen on it.

Speaking of glossy screens. It is very reflective. My wife could use it to put lipstick on with the phone off. That's okay indoors and in dark settings, but in full sunlight it does hamper viewing a little bit; not much over the stock experience (since Priv already had a glossified screen), but it is glossier still and I find myself moving it around outdoors to see better. It does not cut the light as much as previous tempered glass protectors that I have tried on other phones, though it may cut it a tiny bit. The reflection is the real issue. I think it is a fair trade for the protection. It does dig me a little more than it would on, say, my Note 4, because the Priv has such a BEAUTIFUL screen.

I live in East Texas and it is HOT here. The temperature doesn't tell the whole story. I mean, HUMID HOT, with mosquitos buzzing. Here, mosquitos go for dark haired people first because they think they might be shade. It is that hot. It is hot enough that I could write a scientific article about sweat glands in fingertips. The heat highlights one failing of the Priv screen and, to a greater extent, this protector as compared with, say, my Note 4 or Passport screen. When it is hot the screen protector, though glossy, makes it hard to slide your finger. There have in fact been times when I couldn't unlock my phone by swiping up (before it went dark and I had to start again) because my hot, damp fingers would not slide on the screen and, when I force the issue, skip on the screen. I've actually tried unlocking it with my chin a couple of times (for the record a beard makes this process hit or miss). That's not ideal and reminds me of the old, soft, screen protectors of days gone by. It is not soft, and is surely smooth, but whatever coating it has on it is an homage to a gecko's foot pads, when your fingers are clammy.

Still, on the whole, I consider it a win, by a nose. I keep Blackberries (and phones in general) a long time so the protection makes the few niggles tolerable. For 10 bucks I really can't complain.
    gritsinct likes this.
    07-19-16 01:27 PM
    Sounds like the GLASS protector is pretty OKAY! (g)

But does it interfere with the Proximity Sensor. Some of the ones that don't have a cutout at that location have interfered. I have not tried unlocking my phone with my beard. I have had issue with damp fingers. I actually went for a MATTE Ghost Armor protector. Still in bright Seattle sun (we have it about 4 times a year) it can be hard to see.

One of the cases I ordered also came from OVER THERE. I figured customs sat on it for a week or two.
    07-19-16 08:17 PM
    Yes I'd say it is amazingly okay. Not great; more "okay". It does the job. It improved the phone insofar as I don't trust gorilla glass or any glass that is not easily replaced, and insofar as it doesn't hinder my heavy use of the phone or ruin its aesthetic.

The proximity sensor has to see through the protector but it works. The top of the protector has a black backing that has clear portions for the word BlackBerry, and for each of the sensors and camera.

At least, when I am talking on the phone it goes dark when I have it to my face, and then lights up when I pull it away.

As for the case purchase I always try to buy American or Canadian or amazon prime for a couple of reasons, one of which is shipping time, even if the price is higher. But in this instance there were no closer sources (and it was only on ebay, setting me up fit disappointment I am sure) so I am stuck waiting. And, for what it's worth, Amazon prime shopping has let me down more than once when it mattered and amazon doesn't seem to care (even with several persistent chats and calls to see what I can get out of the situation, for the sake of science and consumerism in general).

As an aside, I followed Cobalt's instructions for putting BlackBerry stuff on my Note 4 and it is also "okay", but the lack of a PKB undermines the experience. It is nice that my brain doesn't have to work so hard when I pick up one phone or the other to do something but when I recently learned that I could assign two actions (long press and short press) to every key on the PKB it was all over for the Note 4. The pen doesn't save it. The only reason to keep it now is for the wifi calling that AT&T hasn't seen fit to allow to Privs and the video calling, which I will never use. It is becoming a closer call whether the extra 20 bucks a month is worth it.

Last edited by CharlieV; 07-20-16 at 10:29 AM.
    FF22 likes this.
    07-20-16 10:18 AM
    SIKAI� Patent 3D Full coverage Tempered GLASS screen protector for Blackberry Priv screen protector CURVY glass screen protector 9H Anti-scratch Anti-explosion (BB priv screen protector*
    Amazon sells them and for a reasonable price. I used one fit great and it didn't even seem like I had it on. On a glorious day where spiders like to climb on your shirt..... I accidently may have threw my phone in the air. Well I slowly gathered my stomach back and I picked my phone up to see a shattered screen. Well I peeled the protector off and wow no cracks not even a scratch. So quickly I bought another

FF22 and gritsinct like this.
    07-20-16 10:31 AM
    SIKAI� Patent 3D Full coverage Tempered GLASS screen protector for Blackberry Priv screen protector CURVY glass screen protector 9H Anti-scratch Anti-explosion (BB priv screen protector*
    Amazon sells them and for a reasonable price. I used one fit great and it didn't even seem like I had it on. On a glorious day where spiders like to climb on your shirt..... I accidently may have threw my phone in the air. Well I slowly gathered my stomach back and I picked my phone up to see a shattered screen. Well I peeled the protector off and wow no cracks not even a scratch. So quickly I bought another

Those are the situations where I don't think "vinyl" screen protectors would really protect the screen. They would flex inward directly against the screen. Whereas I presume that the glass protector takes that first IMPACT and it breaks but shields the underlying real screen. Obviously, if the impact is really hard and the force focused, it may break through and break the screen, too.
    07-20-16 11:57 AM
    With no insurance on my 299 eBay Priv, I'll be very lucky to have a shattered screen protector someday.
    07-20-16 01:11 PM
    China Post delivered my case today. I'll post separately about it. It MIGHT be real leather. MIGHT. I say might because I immediately had to use a lighter on a thread that was sticking out and while the thread melted, the case did not combust.
    07-20-16 03:22 PM
    China Post delivered my case today. I'll post separately about it. It MIGHT be real leather. MIGHT. I say might because I immediately had to use a lighter on a thread that was sticking out and while the thread melted, the case did not combust.
    Careful. Time delayed fuse (boom!)
    07-20-16 04:48 PM
    I agreed but not going to try to find out how much force i need to get both.... I have used that and a zagg hd and both seem fine but it's buyers opinion

07-20-16 05:11 PM
    I am using my phone at an oblique angle to a low sun and I just noticed that the screen protector has GLITTER in the areas that are blacked out (top and sides).

Glitter.

I don't like glitter on my business phone. Or any phone.

Now I can't stop looking at it. My phone is bedazzled.

Charlie ain't happy.

mmcclure0453 likes this.
    07-25-16 06:00 PM
    It's gone.

Took it off.

I can't abide glitter on my phone.

07-25-16 06:04 PM
    So now I noticed that the adhesive is only on the outer sections, under the black and GLITTER.

That's why they use the black, to cover the adhesive. That's also why it made no bubbles and went on so easily.

07-25-16 06:06 PM
    I agree. Glitter is so much better on the eyelids!

One of the glass ones, someone posted about yesterday indicated that the entire screen has adhesive. Now I can see that being a "bubble" problem but they claim that it does not.
    07-25-16 07:32 PM