04-16-18 10:34 AM
30 12
tools
    I just got a Priv.
    The display looks a little odd to me. It looks almost textured. Kind of like a desktop monitor with a heavy matte coating, or a background you might see in an ereading app. This is particularly obvious when looking at a plain white page, but is also noticeable when you look closely at anything (photos for example).
    Has anyone else noticed this?
    12-30-15 07:16 PM
    My display is crystal clear and sharp!

вιaсĸвεггч ᕵяiv (STV100-3 Rogers Wireless)via CB for Android 5.1.1
    12-30-15 08:13 PM
    Pics?

Posted via CB10
    12-30-15 08:54 PM
    It's subtle enough I'm not sure I'll be able to get a good photo. I will try tomorrow.

Maybe a better way to describe it would be that it is like someone rubbed it lightly with sandpaper (although the screen feels completely smooth).

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    12-30-15 09:03 PM
    I've had a few privs and that's not been my experience. Can you play with the settings and vibrancy?

Did you take off the plastic
    12-30-15 10:28 PM
    Sounds like the effects of a matte screen protector to me.

While I prefer the look, that's not how it should be on its own. Hope u can figure it out.

Posted via CB10
    12-30-15 10:37 PM
    I just got a Priv.
    The display looks a little odd to me. It looks almost textured. Kind of like a desktop monitor with a heavy matte coating, or a background you might see in an ereading app. This is particularly obvious when looking at a plain white page, but is also noticeable when you look closely at anything (photos for example).
    Has anyone else noticed this?
    Have you taken off their plastic that was on it in the box? The screen on mine is crystal clear
    12-30-15 11:14 PM
    Thanks everyone.
    Yes I removed the screen protector thing that came on it.

I have never had a matte screen protector, but it does look how I imagine one might look like.
    It is really not that much of a problem. If it was a cheap low end device I wouldn't worry about it.

12-30-15 11:28 PM
    Where did you buy the Priv and when?

Is it from a carrier or shop BB?

Maybe theyve changed something recently in the manufacturing.

Posted via CB10
    12-31-15 12:57 AM
    It's probably the characteristic of the amoled. I have never owned an amoled screen before and Priv does look differently to me at first. The screen is kind of dull,not as crispy as LCD.

12-31-15 01:02 AM
    Well, screen definitely looks different compared to the LCD of my old nexus 5. But nothing like the description from OP. It sounds more like there's a stealthy screen protector slapped on there that OP isn't seeing or something. A strange tempered glass?
    12-31-15 01:16 AM
    Well, screen definitely looks different compared to the LCD of my old nexus 5. But nothing like the description from OP. It sounds more like there's a stealthy screen protector slapped on there that OP isn't seeing or something. A strange tempered glass?
    I think what OP described was correct it does look like matte-ish on plain white.

12-31-15 01:19 AM
    I think what OP described was correct it does look like matte-ish on plain white.

I guess. If you see what he/she sees, then all the power to you. I guess I can't see it.
    "a background you might see in an ereading app" - definitely not seeing that. Perhaps my eyes have already aged.
    12-31-15 01:23 AM
    I guess. If you see what he/she sees, then all the power to you. I guess I can't see it.
    "a background you might see in an ereading app" - definitely not seeing that. Perhaps my eyes have already aged.
    I wish I could see everything...

I think I know what OP was talking about cuz I had similar feeling when I first saw the screen : it looks like the display is placed on a piece of paper, or it looks like a dummy display unit because it lacks the "brightness" of an LCD. It's really hard to describe though.

12-31-15 01:29 AM
    Nope don't see that on mine. I compared it to my Note 2, Note 3 and Passport and its crystal clear. I would go to the store and compare it and exchange it if need be.

kbz1960 likes this.
    12-31-15 04:44 AM
    Where did you buy the Priv and when?

Is it from a carrier or shop BB?

Maybe theyve changed something recently in the manufacturing.

Posted via CB10
    Shop BlackBerry

12-31-15 09:13 AM
    It's probably the characteristic of the amoled. I have never owned an amoled screen before and Priv does look differently to me at first. The screen is kind of dull,not as crispy as LCD.

I guess this could be it.
    I don't think so though.

12-31-15 09:15 AM
    Nope don't see that on mine. I compared it to my Note 2, Note 3 and Passport and its crystal clear. I would go to the store and compare it and exchange it if need be.

I have sent BlackBerry support an email.
    It would be nice to actually compare it though.

12-31-15 09:16 AM
    I just got my Priv and signed up here just to reply to this. I see exactly what you see, but maybe even worse. I see it most with a white background, like when I'm looking at the apps list. But when I scroll, I also notice some areas, almost like lines going horizontal across the screen, where the sort of matte effect is not as heavy. I think I'm going to go back to the AT&T store and try comparing it to another one.

Also, this matte look is actually stationary while scrolling. Seems to be not the screen but just over it. I don't have any screen protectors on it, and the factory plastic cover is off. Seems that whatever is causing it is between the screen itself and the glass.
    12-31-15 11:46 PM
    Any chance you guys live in a high contrast temperature (in/outside) place ?
    Sounds a bit like condensation issue, this would be easily confirmed/infirmed if this behavior varies with the time. If confirmed; this is exchange time for you (as the space between gorilla and LCD contains too much humidity).

edit : just guessing, no similar issue for me.
    01-01-16 06:49 AM
    I don't think it's a humidity thing. It's really cold out right now here, but the phone is brand new. Just got it yesterday. I went back to the store today and compared it to the display model. The display model has a similar thing going on, but doesn't seem as bad as mine. But even with mine, other people don't see it unless I point it out and show them how I noticed it. So maybe it's just a side affect of having an AMOLED screen. I have a 1 year warranty on it, so I'm just going to hold onto it for now and keep an eye on it.
    01-01-16 03:54 PM
    I habe the same issues with my priv display, it does not show clear colors especially on white backgrounds and as i wrote in another thread my display is very flexible and clicking. going to replace my phone.

01-05-16 12:04 AM
    I just got the replacement from ShopBlackBerry. It doesn't seem to look much different.
    I guess it really is just the AMOLED screen, or at least it is a problem with many BlackBerry Privs.
    Worse yet, the keyboard on the replacement seems to be worse (particularly the space bar). I actually prefer my original device, but they seem reluctant to let me return the replacement and keep the original. Does anyone know if they will notice the difference (e.g. do they take note of the pin of the replacement before sending it)?

01-07-16 09:30 PM
    I do realise that the topic is probably long forgotten, but I created an account just so I could confirm the issues of Blackberry Priv's screen. I have been always obsessed with sharp screens, therefore, I was very impatient to get the Priv as it promised much higher resolution compared to iPhone 6S I was used to. Granted, it is super sharp, but what an ugly texture there is to the screen! I had to change the whole system into black colour, because it is the only colour that hides completely the ugly texture of the screen! So although it is the sharpest screen I have ever had, it is one of the ugliest regardless. And it is not a question of humidity or any screen protector. Such a shame, since it is overall the best phone I have ever held and there is no other quite like it on the market since KeyOne has a much smaller screen and shows noticeably less text as I am writing.
    04-14-18 11:39 PM
    I have 4 Priv, and have not seen what you are explaining.

each display is sharp and nice.

is your Priv new or refurbished?

probably it doesn't have an original display.

regards
    04-15-18 04:40 AM
30 12