Hi there just picked up my new BlackBerry and love it so far, is it possible to remove the onscreen home buttons....

This is extremely annoying and something Samsung did extremely well which is to keep the home screen buttons physical.

Does the priv also support hdmi out?
    talalal likes this.
    11-16-15 01:16 PM
    The physical buttons are not the standard for Android. No Nexus devices have them.

For HDMI, you need an adapter for the USB port (which does support it).

Posted by twiddling my thumbs on the mighty Qued! - Channel C003DAB77
    11-16-15 01:27 PM
    I believe Samsung has all three on the active series and the one on the galaxy series. I personally like the home buttons on the Priv it works well.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    11-16-15 01:30 PM
    It just feels like wasted screen estate. Is the adapter a mhl cable
    11-16-15 01:35 PM
    How else would you get home or back?

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    11-16-15 01:38 PM
    Usually you can't remove onscreen buttons without root access, which doesn't look likely for the Priv.
    11-16-15 01:39 PM
    Hi there just picked up my new BlackBerry and love it so far, is it possible to remove the onscreen home buttons....

This is extremely annoying and something Samsung did extremely well which is to keep the home screen buttons physical.

Does the priv also support hdmi out?
    The worst thing about Samsungs are the physical buttons and their insistence on switching the order around.

If you were to remove the onscreen buttons, how would you go back one screen or switch to another app?
    11-16-15 02:00 PM
    Blackberry Gestures would have solved the problem.
    talalal likes this.
    11-16-15 02:29 PM
    It just feels like wasted screen estate. Is the adapter a mhl cable
    It's called a Slimport HDMI adapter. The same one I got for my Passport from ShopBlackBerry works for the Priv. MHL is similar, but a different standard so you would have to find a Slimport one.
    11-16-15 02:35 PM
    The on-screen buttons is an "optional" feature that offers choice to the manufacturers. The OEMs don't have to use them (like Samsung) if they don't wish to. If you search the subject, you'll find two camps that will argue for both sides of the debate.

One of the biggest selling points of the on-screen buttons, is that they've been incorporated in a manner that it really doesn't waste much screen real-estate. It only consumes on average 0.2" of a display, and is smart enough to disappear when it's supposed to (ie.. watching videos, playing games, or any other app that chooses to occupy that space). It also adds a "virtual bezel" functionality without having to include a hardware bezel, that allows for custom gestures to be incorporated. BB's use of the three gestures from the Home button is a perfect example, and the same can be accomplished from the other buttons if the manufacturer so chooses. OEM's could also add more buttons to it if they so choose (though not many seem to do so).

[edit]I'd additionally point out that those buttons don't actually "waste" screen real-estate. Because if the OEM chose to go hardware/capacitive buttons/bezel, then the display would probably be about 0.2" smaller in size to accomodate the area the bezel would occupy.
    11-16-15 02:36 PM
    The worst thing about Samsungs are the physical buttons and their insistence on switching the order around.

If you were to remove the onscreen buttons, how would you go back one screen or switch to another app?
    There are plenty of apps that use "Pie Controls" which are hidden soft keys that you can use to replace on screen navigation buttons. They have all the advantages of on screen buttons, but they don't use any screen real estate.
    11-16-15 02:42 PM
    I use an app called Power Toggles to add a widget of settings I can toggle quickly. One of the options is called 'Immersive Mode' which hides the buttons and the top notification bar until you swipe down from the top of the screen. It's very neat but some apps don't like it, such as Snap chat.
    11-16-15 03:52 PM