I was watching a review of the priv the other day: "it has an amoled screen. Brightness is bad and it's hard to see when outside"...
    Is anyone else exasperated to hear they still didn't learn from the Q10 and the Z30? Why can other smartphone manufacturers make a bright amoled display and BlackBerry can't?

Posted via CB10
    11-14-15 04:44 AM
    Compared to my Xperia Z3, the screen isn't that bright, but good enough$ it's just a question about to set the brightness right. If you the compare to Passport,Z10 and for that matter IPhones those screen aren't Amoled and they are basically easier to read.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android and BlackBerry Priv
    11-14-15 04:50 AM
    I think the screen is remarkable. I've turned the colour down to avoid the bright Android colours.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    11-14-15 05:52 AM
    Compared to moto x pure edition, the Priv display is invisible in direct sunlight. It kind of surprised me the first time I saw it.

Posted via the CrackBerry App on the Priv
    11-14-15 06:57 AM
    I agree that it's not that great outdoors, but the real problem (for me), is looking at the screen outdoors with polarized sunglasses, the screen looks horrible, colors get all distorted and change depending on the angle. Since I work outdoors and have sunglasses on all the time, this is a real problem for me, never had this issue with any other phone. Not sure if I'm going to keep the PRIV because of this, might have to stick to my Z30 for a bit longer.

11-14-15 08:00 AM
    The totaltechvids (?) video review that was posted comparing it to the iPhone 6s (?) showed the screen being brighter and easier to read in direct sunlight on the Priv so this is a bit of a surprise.

Maybe it is a settings issue? Android sometimes has an enhanced viewing mode for direct sunlight which I used on my OnePlus One. Basically, on automatic in bright conditions, it will torch/max out your brightness and change contrast settings so elements are easier to read at the expense of fine details. Just check under the display settings and go over all of them to see if there is a similar option.

Even the Passport SE maxes out the brightness this way in bright sunlight (something I'm happy about as readability in direct sunlight on the Z30 with its amoled screen was really bad).
    11-14-15 08:26 AM
    In a BlackBerry specs sheet there was a notice that the Screen has an enhanced brightness mode for better outdoor visibility. Does anyone know what that means technically?

Posted via CB10
    11-14-15 09:01 AM
    I agree that it's not that great outdoors, but the real problem (for me), is looking at the screen outdoors with polarized sunglasses, the screen looks horrible, colors get all distorted and change depending on the angle. Since I work outdoors and have sunglasses on all the time, this is a real problem for me, never had this issue with any other phone. Not sure if I'm going to keep the PRIV because of this, might have to stick to my Z30 for a bit longer.
    Hmm, that's odd. Those are the exact effects you'd expect from a LCD screen, which outputs polarised light, unlike an OLED.
    11-14-15 10:00 AM
    If you turn the 'adaptive brightness' setting on, it becomes really bright in sunlight. I found this by accident!

11-14-15 10:10 AM
    Is great is sunlight, better than iPhone 6 for sure. I only have my screen brightness to 1/3. Any more than that it is too bright. For me anyway. Brighter sucks more battery as well.

Posted from my Priv!
    11-14-15 10:16 AM