Overheating, lag, OS running out of memory. These aren't irregular issues. Just check out many of the re-reviews of the phone that details how it has aged over time. They basically all say the same thing.
    And also all the reviews none of those issues.

When did you get your PRIV? Do you still have it?

Posted via CB10
    04-11-17 05:13 PM
    Got my Priv on release date 2015 and still have it. On a replacement unit, albeit.
    04-11-17 05:22 PM
    I did a hard reboot when I was having issues a number of months ago and lost a number of the contacts, but I think they were saved as local contacts. Actually I think my problem stemmed from the carrier's Sim because I got an "upgrade Sim" message. It was a T-Mobile Sim and they gave me a new one free of charge, because it was their issue.
    Point being, you can re-save local contacts and assign them to one of your email accounts. It is a good idea to do if you want to be sure to keep them when clearing data etc.
    See instructions in the link:
    http://support.blackberry.com/kb/art...nguage=English
    FF22 and anon(3641385) like this.
    04-11-17 06:43 PM
    I use the app 360 Battery Plus from the play store which very easily clears the caches of everything in one go. Speeds up my phone instantly. Recommended!

Posted via CB10 
    anon(3641385) likes this.
    04-11-17 06:55 PM
    Did you try clearing the device cache? How much data is in your cache?

Clearing the device cache won't interfere with your hub data, or any other programs.
    Thanks! Going to try now. It's about 478mb of data in there.
    04-12-17 08:28 AM
    Thanks for the vital information .
    04-12-17 09:37 AM
    Here is some information on a typical day with the Priv. I clear the cache daily, even did a hard reboot. I also use Greenify to keep apps closed during the day.

Yet by the end of the day, it is dragging at 99% memory used. And it is the OS causing it. Ridiculous.
    04-12-17 09:59 PM
    Here is some information on a typical day with the Priv. I clear the cache daily, even did a hard reboot. I also use Greenify to keep apps closed during the day.

Yet by the end of the day, it is dragging at 99% memory used. And it is the OS causing it. Ridiculous. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...82378d0bcf.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...fb36206e8f.jpg
    I forgot we don't have that Setting/Option on Verizon Privs. But I thought that there was another way of getting that info on the Verizon model? Anyone remember if there is a way to see Memory use? Just looked and there is no Shortcut to that module.
    04-12-17 11:41 PM
    Interesting just checked my settings in a 24 hour period and OS 645 Mb. Full day memory 2.3 Mb. Overall my PRIV running smooth.
    04-13-17 02:08 AM
    Wow man, 2.3mb? What do you do with your phone all day, stare at it?
    chuckiev79 likes this.
    04-16-17 03:10 PM
    After clearing cache, like I stated a few days ago - I didn't see a noticeable difference. Now, don't get me wrong, the lag isn't unbearable but it would be better if everything played nice, especially Hub. Multi-tasking also needs love.

But yeah, I had 89 to 91% memory usage majority by the OS.

I just want the PRIV to run like new again
    04-16-17 03:12 PM
    After clearing cache, like I stated a few days ago - I didn't see a noticeable difference. Now, don't get me wrong, the lag isn't unbearable but it would be better if everything played nice, especially Hub. Multi-tasking also needs love.

But yeah, I had 89 to 91% memory usage majority by the OS.

I just want the PRIV to run like new again
    It happens. Some don't believe the high use of RAM correlates to lags, but it does. I can always tell when my memory is low as the phone crawls. I downloaded Extreme RAM Booster and have it set to automatically free up ram and I can tell a big difference.
    olee2222 likes this.
    04-16-17 04:58 PM
    I realized there is no way to fix the slowdown issues of Priv. I can live with a slower phone if it was consistently slow, but PRIV is erratic. One day (or one minute) it would run smoothly, no issues, an hour later when I need to check the map, it would take long time to load a simple map.
    I don't know if this is due to data problems (even on wifi) or RAM issues (I never have less than 500mb available, and I keep clearing my Memory to have 1GB free minimum) or if it's just the bad programming of Priv's Kernel. Something is wrong.

My wife's ages old (in terms of technology) Note 3 runs 5 times faster than my phone. I just installed hub on her phone, it's amazing. I wish I bought a Note 5 instead of Priv. Sure I love the keyboard for shortcuts (I rarely type on that tiny keyboard) and it's overall a nice looking phone, but it gives me a heartache that when I pull out my Passport the thing runs so much faster, and when I use my wife's phone, it feels snappy and near instant, while Priv is struggling with simple tasks.

If I can find a Note 5 at reasonable price, I will definitely consider that phone, even though it has shortcomings like no SD slot.

If we have any Android experts, how do you stop an app from running by itself. So much for DTEK. At least DTEK should allow user to block and app from running unless you actually tap and start it. When I check my running apps in Task Manager I see so many random apps, Netflix, Vudu, Weather App, Yamaha AV controller, Amazon, Amazon Music... All these apps I did not touch since I restarted my phone yesterday... That's Android for you...
    04-17-17 01:59 PM
    I wonder if the battery level has anything to do with this lag, mine operates better when battery is over 50%. It's down hill from there.
    04-17-17 02:08 PM
    All these comments about clearing cache don't make sense. The cache is there to speed up the phone, not slow it down. Also, high memory use is good, not bad.

Android is not stupid. Cache is there for a reason and cleaning it only slows things down in the long run. Also, high RAM use means that the phone doesn't have to load apps using the CPU (which is slower than RAM) every time the app starts.

Forget clearing the cache or using things like Greenify. This perpetuates the problem. Leave Android alone.
    Jake2826 and olee2222 like this.
    04-17-17 04:35 PM
    All these comments about clearing cache don't make sense. The cache is there to speed up the phone, not slow it down. Also, high memory use is good, not bad.

Android is not stupid. Cache is there for a reason and cleaning it only slows things down in the long run. Also, high RAM use means that the phone doesn't have to load apps using the CPU (which is slower than RAM) every time the app starts.

Forget clearing the cache or using things like Greenify. This perpetuates the problem. Leave Android alone.
    If it worked properly, we would leave it alone but it doesn't.
    Android sure looks stupid, at least on Priv, despite the specs. Why is it running apps I didn't run in last few days or is my taskmanager app getting fooled by something else? Why doesn't it completely close the apps when I will not use it until next day yet the apps I use at least 3-4 times a day takes long time to come back even though I did not clean the ram or clear the cache. I agree that clearing RAM doesn't make a big difference in performance unless you have less than 100MB ram available because if you actually need to run a different app that "smart Android" was NOT keeping on the background or hogging RAM with, it still has to decide which app to clear from memory so your new app/game/etc can have some RAM to run properly.

So bottom line is that Priv users are frustrated with inconsistent performance behavior. Maybe Android 7 can fix this? Is BB working on it, or is Priv being abondoned, does anyone know? Could it be the BB Launcher causing the issues? I don't read the DTEK50/60 forums, are there issues with DTEK devices too or is it just the Priv that's facing performance issues?
    04-18-17 01:02 AM
    This just came to mind, maybe this is so on purpose? PRIV getting laggy after a couple years or so of use. From a business perspective, what would BlackBerry loyalists do? Buy the newer phone.

But if the current phone (in this case, PRIV) runs flawlessly then no one's going to buy the latest and greatest phone. I was really hoping to keep PRIV for a longer time, but sadly there doesn't seem to be a way to bring it back to life. So guess what, KeyONE is coming out right in time when I'm frustrated with an existing BlackBerry.

Maybe this is their new way forward?
    04-20-17 08:24 AM
    I've had my Priv since launch day, and it has been getting progressively slower and slower. There is no obvious reason for it. I have the latest OS and security update and all my apps are "clean". Alas, it does the job, but it is slow.... to the point that sometimes it is frustrating to get simple things done.

I've never been an Apple fanboy, but there is some merit to the integration of OS and hardware (like BlackBerry used to do with BB10). With BlackBerry Android, there are just so many uncontrolled variables, like processor, RAM, UI skins, launchers. It seems that all the worst eventually converges and slows the phone down. Not to mention the security holes discovered monthly.

Maybe Nougat (if it ever comes) will sort some of these things out.... but I am not hopeful. I was hoping to hold onto my Priv for another year or two, but at the rate of performance degradation, it may not be possible. The battery life never lived up to my expectations, and seems to be getting worse.

Sure, I could backup and reset, but spending half-a-day getting everything back to where is was just doesn't appeal to me.

I was looking forward to the KEYone, but, really, will it be any different than the Priv a year from now? Another slow, clunky, Android device?

I've been playing with my daughter's iPhone SE and it just works. It's blazing fast and never slows down. Apps install in seconds and the battery life is absolutely incredible. She charges it overnight and has 50% by end of day. She's always on that thing and is not "technie" and never has to "clear cache", "32 second reboot" or shut down tasks. It's an elegant experience.

I never appreciated the iOS experience when I was on my BB10 Passport, but I get it now. BB10 and iOS a special kind of experience. Reliable over time with no performance degradation. Android is another matter altogether.

I'm thinking my next phone might be an iPhone, but I will reserve final judgement until (if?) Nougat comes to my Priv. If the Priv takes well to Nougat, then the KEYone might be the next phone.
    04-20-17 10:26 AM
    My wife has an iPhone 6s. There are times it slows down. Sometimes she doesn't get texts for hours after, especially in a group. There are times that she will lock up.

I only say this to let you know that the grass is not always greener on another platform.
    FF22, Mirko935 and olee2222 like this.
    04-20-17 04:04 PM
    Hello before doing any backup you need to clear cache and also data. Go into settings, storage and USB, Internal storage
    >clear cache
    You should do this about once a month
    Data you have to go into each data individual and clear data. This will revert app to status when you first installed app.
    After clearing cache and data do a 32 second press of power button. This simulates a battery. Good luck
    I can't believe this is a non-automated process in android.
    04-22-17 07:18 AM
    I can't believe this is a non-automated process in android.
    Is there any way of ever knowing if a phone is going to be all weird?

I can't believe I'm saying this but I like the Samsung S8...
    04-22-17 05:17 PM
    Is there any way of ever knowing if a phone is going to be all weird?

I can't believe I'm saying this but I like the Samsung S8...
    I got out of an underground train. And because I was running late, I needed to quickly book an Uber.

So first, I had to wait for the reception to restore (this part is normal), then pull up Uber. It took a full 15 seconds to load completely for me to enter my destination.

It took me another 30 seconds to launch a call to the driver, which means it had to launch the dialer to make the call. And then the actual call getting dialed to the prefilled number.

In addition to the lag I listed above, there's other types of lags like minimizing or opening apps like responding to texts I received.

It easily took me a full 3 minutes before everything turned out the way I wanted.

Seriously there's absolutely no way to restore the PRIV to like-new?

Even if I just deleted, factory reset, re-downloaded all apps and configured manually?
    olee2222 likes this.
    04-24-17 12:07 PM
    I got out of an underground train. And because I was running late, I needed to quickly book an Uber.

So first, I had to wait for the reception to restore (this part is normal), then pull up Uber. It took a full 15 seconds to load completely for me to enter my destination.

It took me another 30 seconds to launch a call to the driver, which means it had to launch the dialer to make the call. And then the actual call getting dialed to the prefilled number.

In addition to the lag I listed above, there's other types of lags like minimizing or opening apps like responding to texts I received.

It easily took me a full 3 minutes before everything turned out the way I wanted.

Seriously there's absolutely no way to restore the PRIV to like-new?

Even if I just deleted, factory reset, re-downloaded all apps and configured manually
    ?
    In the Main Settings, Backup/Reset..... OR:

Visit the Autoloader thread in the Stickies at the top of the forum. Find the one that matches your carrier or device. Install it. You should be back to START-OVER!!!

edited to fix reference to the Factory Reset setting!
    Last edited by FF22; 04-26-17 at 09:19 PM.
    Devil and Gray like this.
    04-24-17 12:47 PM
    In the Main Settings, Security, there's a WIPE Device to Factory..... OR:

Visit the Autoloader thread in the Stickies at the top of the forum. Find the one that matches your carrier or device. Install it. You should be back to START-OVER!!!
    Wow, for real? I was under the impression that this won't return the PRIV back to it's snappy new self?
    04-26-17 06:30 PM
    Device Switch loan Priv to new Priv is a disaster ,get your act together Blackberry, this used to be so easy on BBdesktop.
    Now it is slow chaos, i would rather go to the dentist!
    04-26-17 06:48 PM
74 123