a While back it was said somewhere that when the Priv were first unveiled at MWC, it were running Blackberry OS 10. Is this correct and is it possible to run BlackBerry OS 10 on the Priv? I am very curious to see if the Priv will run better or worse? Or should one rather stay away from this sort of thing?
    03-07-16 01:11 PM
    no and no. It doesn't and it won't and you can't make it run the OS
    03-07-16 01:20 PM
    I'm not even sure the MWC 2015 Priv was even "running".
    Jakob Greve and RyanGermann like this.
    03-07-16 01:34 PM
    Just curious.. why? What's the point? One could easily make the case that the PP and Classic both have superior hardware, and Android pretty clearly is the present and future. You'd be joining the inferior hardware with the dying software. Who wins?
    03-07-16 01:38 PM
    Just curious.. why? What's the point? One could easily make the case that the PP and Classic both have superior hardware, and Android pretty clearly is the present and future. You'd be joining the inferior hardware with the dying software. Who wins?
    How exactly is a 8992 (6 cores, 2015) and 3GB of RAM worse than a 8960 (2 cores, 2012) and 2GB of RAM?
    skinnymike1 likes this.
    03-07-16 01:41 PM
    How exactly is a 8992 (6 cores, 2015) and 3GB of RAM worse than a 8960 (2 cores, 2012) and 2GB of RAM?
    1. For the same reason the Priv is seen as the better option for the people who purchase it when compared to other Droids with superior specs - The keyboard. The Classic and PP have the superior keyboard. The Classic has the superior form factor. While apparently not true for all builds, the creaky/flimsy issue some were experiencing with their Privs is also concerning.

2. It's been proven time and again (Apple vs Samsung) that specs do not translate to smoother performance.

3. The 8892 has well-documented battery drain and heat issues. It is a flawed piece of hardware.
    andy957 likes this.
    03-07-16 02:02 PM
    Allrighty then.
    03-07-16 02:07 PM
    1. For the same reason the Priv is seen as the better option for the people who purchase it when compared to other Droids with superior specs - The keyboard. The Classic and PP have the superior keyboard. The Classic has the superior form factor. While apparently not true for all builds, the creaky/flimsy issue some were experiencing with their Privs is also concerning.

2. It's been proven time and again (Apple vs Samsung) that specs do not translate to smoother performance.

3. The 8892 has well-documented battery drain and heat issues. It is a flawed piece of hardware.
    That's all subjective. People were clamoring for a BB10 vertical slider. It's the only form factor that has a 16:9 screen, that media is made for, combined with a keyboard. Obviously people, such as the OP who probably knows of the Passport & Classic, could see this form factor as superior hardware.

The creaky issues are not as pronounced as you might think. Forums give no indication of these things. The people with problems are the loudest people. Go to a forum for any phone and you will see people complaining about some hardware issue.

Apple vs. Samsung is a silly representation of how specs might not directly correlate to better performance because the resource demands of their respective software is vastly different.

Even if the 808 has "well-documented battery drain and heat issues" , no one is making the case that it is somehow a lesser processor than the 8960.

You're also not mentioning the 1440p OLED screen, the OIS 18MP camera with a 1/2.4" sensor and 27mm f/2.2 lens, or the hugely updated GPU.

Some people might like the Passport and Classic better for their keyboards, sure, but that's it. I'm fairly positive the OP is aware that those devices exist, so they really have nothing to do with the fact that he is asking if you can get BB10 on the Priv.

By the way, OP, the answer is no, unfortunately.
    Blacklatino likes this.
    03-07-16 02:21 PM
    " It's the only form factor that has a 16:9 screen, that media is made for"

Ah, all those media apps on BB10.

"Apple vs. Samsung is a silly representation of how specs might not directly correlate to better performance because the resource demands of their respective software is vastly different."

How is exactly what proves my point a silly supporting example?

"Even if the 808 has "well-documented battery drain and heat issues" , no one is making the case that it is somehow a lesser processor than the 8960."

Here, do you want this burning Ferrari or this mint Chevy?

"You're also not mentioning the 1440p OLED screen, the OIS 18MP camera with a 1/2.4" sensor and 27mm f/2.2 lens, or the hugely updated GPU."

Fair enough.

"Some people might like the Passport and Classic better for their keyboards, sure, but that's it."

It's the absolute only reason to get a Blackberry Android. There are several cheaper phones with superior specs running Marshmallow, so I think it's the most important hardware point to make.
    Last edited by asublimeday; 03-07-16 at 02:46 PM.
    03-07-16 02:29 PM
    " It's the only form factor that has a 16:9 screen, that media is made for"

Ah, all those media apps on BB10.
    Obviously you can watch videos on BB10.

"Apple vs. Samsung is a silly representation of how specs might not directly correlate to better performance because the resource demands of their respective software is vastly different."

How is exactly what proves my point a silly supporting example?
    Because. The. Resource. Demands. Of. Their. Respective. Software. Are. Vastly. Different.

You're comparing software more than hardware. Are you making the argument a modern Samsung device will run better on the S4 Pro than on the 808?

"Even if the 808 has "well-documented battery drain and heat issues" , no one is making the case that it is somehow a lesser processor than the 8960."

Here, do you want this burning Ferrari or this mint Chevy?
    Here, do you want to come back to reality or live in your fantasy land of irrelevant metaphors?

"Some people might like the Passport and Classic better for their keyboards, sure, but that's it."

It's the absolute only reason to get a Blackberry Android. There are several cheaper phones with superior specs running Marshmallow, so I think it's the most important hardware point to make.
    It's absolutely not the only reason to get a BlackBerry Android. If you want a modern phone with a normal 16:9 touch display and a slide out keyboard, the Priv is your only option. If you want a modern Android phone with a built-in keyboard, the Priv is your only option. If you want a modern BlackBerry device, the Priv is your only option.
    Blacklatino likes this.
    03-07-16 04:28 PM
    I would like one -- but if they can't sell Privs with Android they sure won't sell any better with BB10.
    03-07-16 04:45 PM
    Obviously you can watch videos on BB10.

Because. The. Resource. Demands. Of. Their. Respective. Software. Are. Vastly. Different.

You're comparing software more than hardware. Are you making the argument a modern Samsung device will run better on the S4 Pro than on the 808?

Here, do you want to come back to reality or live in your fantasy land of irrelevant metaphors?

It's absolutely not the only reason to get a BlackBerry Android. If you want a modern phone with a normal 16:9 touch display and a slide out keyboard, the Priv is your only option. If you want a modern Android phone with a built-in keyboard, the Priv is your only option. If you want a modern BlackBerry device, the Priv is your only option.
    The point is (slowing it down for you) that with flawed hardware, specs don't matter. I'll let you decipher the metaphor with that in mind. It's impossible to say whether BB10 would run any better with beefier on-paper specs.

This made me laugh:

"It's absolutely not the only reason to get a BlackBerry Android. If you want a modern phone with a normal 16:9 touch display and these already exist, so all you get is: a slide out keyboard, the Priv is your only option. If you want a modern Android phone with these already exist, so all you get is:a built-in keyboard, the Priv is your only option. If you want a modern BlackBerry device, aka an Android phone with the only difference being... the PKB the Priv is your only option."

You can now also get every BB software add-on through Cobalt's Blackberry Manager for any droid, including the launcher and hub. So literally the only reason to get a Priv is the keyboard. That's fine, I'll get one myself most likely, but I won't kid myself about it's issues, and I won't kid myself that I'm paying >$200 for a PKB. What I certainly wont do is advocate putting a dying/dead OS in a phone that arguably won't run any smoother than it does on a phone with, at the very least, a better build.
    Last edited by asublimeday; 03-07-16 at 05:27 PM.
    03-07-16 05:17 PM
    The point is (slowing it down for you) that with flawed hardware, specs don't matter. I'll let you decipher the metaphor with that in mind.

This made me laugh:

It's absolutely not the only reason to get a BlackBerry Android. If you want a modern phone with a normal 16:9 touch display and these already exist, so all you get is: a slide out keyboard, the Priv is your only option. If you want a modern Android phone with these already exist, so all you get is:a built-in keyboard, the Priv is your only option. If you want a modern BlackBerry device, Android software, Blackberry hardware, the only real difference being... the Priv is your only option.

You can now also get every BB software add-on through Cobalt's Blackberry Manager for any droid, including the launcher and hub. So literally the only reason to get a Priv is the keyboard.
    The 808, with your claimed flaws, is still better than the S4 Pro. That's why your metaphor is irrelevant. I don't how else to spell that out so you can wrap your head around that fact.

The keyboard is the unique differentiator in the combinations I listed. You're looking at the keyboard in a vacuum compared to the Passport and the Classic. That's not reality. That's a vacuum.

If somebody wants a phone with the best physical keyboard available, they might pick the Passport or the Classic or even an old Droid 4 since it has a number row.

That hardly accounts for every person who wants a phone with a keyboard. Not everyone wants to compromise their phone's OS, screen size, camera, or specs to simply have the best keyboard available. They might take a slightly smaller keyboard to not have to deal with those compromises.
    03-07-16 05:26 PM
    Every person who wants a new phone with a keyboard has to get a Priv. There are no other options, but literally everything else the Priv does, someone else is doing it better. Thus, the only reason to get a Priv is the keyboard.
    03-07-16 05:30 PM
    I want to have foreign largest concealable trackpad that doubles as a rudimentary keyboard

Posted via CB10
    03-07-16 05:33 PM
    i like a phone that is able to run apps, do things like other popular phone can. android/apple. i also like having options, thus where the physical keyboard comes in. the priv comes to mind and connects me to both the android apps and blackberry keyboard.

if people want priv to use bb10 they should just stick with passport or classic. bb10 os is obviously under performing, to implement a bb10 priv would be a waste of their left over resource. like many realistic poster, android/apple os is the present and future. i cannot deny i want blackberry os to do well but it been so many years, they do not make enough revenue to compete. it only make sense to join android
    03-07-16 05:45 PM
    I don't just like a keyboard I like security. But I am using a Classic so whatever.
    I really like the Priv even over my wife's S6edge I think it is significantly smoother and so does she. But like the OP I wish BlackBerry made a BB10 phone out of the Priv, everything I need and want to do on my phone is still done on my Classic. Except for maybe open my garage, start my C63, then drive me to work at 200mph. When that happens I will gladly switch to whomever has that capability with a smile.
    If only the Priv had 16gig of RAM, a GTX975, 1TB SSHD, and a 17" screen then it would be my laptop.

Posted via CB10
    03-07-16 05:48 PM
    Every person who wants a new phone with a keyboard has to get a Priv. There are no other options, but literally everything else the Priv does, someone else is doing it better. Thus, the only reason to get a Priv is the keyboard.
    Right, which it was silly for you to bring up the Passport and Classic in the first place, and to assume that anybody who wants a phone with a keyboard wants the best keyboard possible without any other considerations.
    03-07-16 07:21 PM
    You are mostly right.

But I would add that getting immediate monthly security updates (like the Nexus), the BlackBerry vkb, and the BlackBerry Launcher (which I prefer to Touchwiz, Sense, and UX) are compelling too.
    asublimeday likes this.
    03-07-16 08:56 PM
    I'm not even sure the MWC 2015 Priv was even "running".
    You are correct. It has been confirmed that it was merely a mockup and not a functioning device.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    03-07-16 10:42 PM
    Why? I want a new phone with a keyboard, but I don't want a Priv. Maybe I value a compact size, or maybe a smooth, fun to use OS. Maybe I like to have a few more dollars in my pocket and I don't need to run nuclear weapons simulations in my pocket. There are many reasons NOT to get a Priv even if I needed a keyboard.

But I agree with you that if you don't care about a physical keyboard, there's not much reason to get a Priv. Everything else it does, there's another phone that does it better and probably cheaper. That was always going to be the problem facing Blackberry or even Nokia before that. In the droid game, there is always someone faster, cheaper than you and a hundred wolves yapping at your heels.

Now the smart thing for Blackberry to do is to offset the hardware cost by offering BBOS 10 on the Priv as well. (Yes, I have done this type of work before, so I have a good idea how many engineers and time it takes, it would be worth it)
    03-07-16 11:06 PM
    You can now also get every BB software add-on through Cobalt's Blackberry Manager for any droid, including the launcher and hub
    So how long can one guarantee that will keep working? Also, I loaded all those apps on my Galaxy Note Edge and there is noticeable lag after installing the hacked apps as compared to my Priv. One other advantage to getting the Priv is we now have the March 2016 Android security patch and all Samsung's in my household are still on Nov 2015 Android security patch level.
    03-07-16 11:59 PM
    It was a dummy device not running anything as Thurask said. As a curiosity I remember BB10 had the Potential to run IOS apps back in the day. Boy the lawsuits that path could have led to:-)
    vjfratiani likes this.
    03-08-16 07:12 AM
    I have tears from laughing so hard this morning! The Priv keyboard is garbage!!!! My Curve and Bold had a great keyboard as far as layout and ease of use goes. The Priv is a modified PKB and doesn't really do any near as well as the older PKB. This has become the CB fanboi site. Some of you will stick with this crap phone and keep making excuses for its **** poor performance until it's stolen, dropped, or breaks. The same thing you have accused iOS and Android users of for years. LMAO
    03-08-16 07:59 AM
    I have tears from laughing so hard this morning! The Priv keyboard is garbage!!!! My Curve and Bold had a great keyboard as far as layout and ease of use goes. The Priv is a modified PKB and doesn't really do any near as well as the older PKB. This has become the CB fanboi site. Some of you will stick with this crap phone and keep making excuses for its **** poor performance until it's stolen, dropped, or breaks. The same thing you have accused iOS and Android users of for years. LMAO
    I'm sorry it doesn't work for you. At least there are a lot of options in the marketplace to satisfy most needs.

I for one think the Priv is an outstanding device.
    Nharzhool likes this.
    03-08-16 08:18 AM
52 123