Yes, a newer model will come out, but that doesn't mean the previous one should be disowned or completely forgotten about.
    But that's exactly what OEM's want.

How else are they gonna make the profits required to churn out a very, very similar slab to the previous one?
    07-28-19 12:49 PM

How else are they gonna make the profits required to churn out a very, very similar slab to the previous one?
    No kidding. I get that. It's obvious. However, that's not what I am referring to. There is a difference between owning something and a manufacturer saying here's a new model if you want to upgrade from the model you have...and...here's a new model, and we are no longer going to service, support, maintain, or have anything to do with the model you currently have, to some extent "forcing" you into getting the new model.
    07-28-19 01:22 PM

And if the business model is based upon what I portrayed in my previous post...OK...I get that. That wasn't my experience with BlackBerry...until the Priv...which coincided with their global, massive, corporate problems. They were a company on the decline, trending downward, etc., so I think my experience with the Priv was also company and market driven as well.
    07-28-19 01:25 PM
    And if the business model is based upon what I portrayed in my previous post...OK...I get that. That wasn't my experience with BlackBerry...until the Priv...which coincided with their global, massive, corporate problems. They were a company on the decline, trending downward, etc., so I think my experience with the Priv was also company and market driven as well.
    It’s also more due to Android business model and the industry as whole. Planned obsolescence is just that. OTOH it’s only been since we’re told we require latest OS for whatever reason that we demand more...
    07-28-19 02:12 PM
    It’s also more due to Android business model and the industry as whole. Planned obsolescence is just that. OTOH it’s only been since we’re told we require latest OS for whatever reason that we demand more...
    I hear you. Agreed. Well, I am not really familiar with the Android business model, and I do somewhat understand the overall landscape of the industry. It's business. I get it. Capitalism at it's finest, LOL. In addition, I absolutely understand planned obsolescence and I plan for it, accommodate it, and thrive due to it in my own industry -- because I understand it so well.

However, when I see certain traits, certain attributes, certain nuances of planned obsolescence -- I also see certain byproducts -- and customer alienation, disatisfaction, etc., is just one of them. There are just no consequences as a result of it, so it continues. For example, I know three large NJ corporations who left VZW and jumped ship to ATT -- not because their devices became obsolete due to a newer model coming out, but because they completely stopped "supporting the device" they sold the corporation, and they stopped offering tech support, etc. Did VZW care? I am sure they didn't. It was probably not even a blip on the radar for them, and had no impact on their quarterly earnings. And, I as an individual felt the exact same way vis a vis my Priv. But they didn't care about me either, as I am just one simple consumer who had been with them since 1985.

For me, I don't mind a newer model coming out 6 months after I buy mine. I get that. But don't tell me that you are going to stop offering tech support after a year. Don't tell me that you are no longer going to send out security patches/updates after a year. Don't tell me you are no longer going to "support" the device and you are going to leave me completely out in the cold. And if you do -- that makes a statement to me as a consumer.

I just see, in this case, VZW will continue to "get away" with it, until their are consequences and they feel the results of those consequences...and I don't see that happening.

I buy a laptop or a tablet, and a new one comes out months later. No problem. I get it. It should be that way. However, my two or three year Gold Support Tech Support/Warranty program is still valid, honored, and a valuable asset for two or three years bought it for. I still get my tech support, still get updates, still get parts, replacement, customer service and tech support who knows the how to, and still fixes problems. With my BB Priv and VZW, I got none of that. I am sure I have a role in that, not being very technically adept, but it still lands on me as the consumer. So be it I guess, LOL.
    07-28-19 10:13 PM
    I hear you. Agreed. Well, I am not really familiar with the Android business model, and I do somewhat understand the overall landscape of the industry. It's business. I get it. Capitalism at it's finest, LOL. In addition, I absolutely understand planned obsolescence and I plan for it, accommodate it, and thrive due to it in my own industry -- because I understand it so well.

However, when I see certain traits, certain attributes, certain nuances of planned obsolescence -- I also see certain byproducts -- and customer alienation, disatisfaction, etc., is just one of them. There are just no consequences as a result of it, so it continues. For example, I know three large NJ corporations who left VZW and jumped ship to ATT -- not because their devices became obsolete due to a newer model coming out, but because they completely stopped "supporting the device" they sold the corporation, and they stopped offering tech support, etc. Did VZW care? I am sure they didn't. It was probably not even a blip on the radar for them, and had no impact on their quarterly earnings. And, I as an individual felt the exact same way vis a vis my Priv. But they didn't care about me either, as I am just one simple consumer who had been with them since 1985.

For me, I don't mind a newer model coming out 6 months after I buy mine. I get that. But don't tell me that you are going to stop offering tech support after a year. Don't tell me that you are no longer going to send out security patches/updates after a year. Don't tell me you are no longer going to "support" the device and you are going to leave me completely out in the cold. And if you do -- that makes a statement to me as a consumer.

I just see, in this case, VZW will continue to "get away" with it, until their are consequences and they feel the results of those consequences...and I don't see that happening.

I buy a laptop or a tablet, and a new one comes out months later. No problem. I get it. It should be that way. However, my two or three year Gold Support Tech Support/Warranty program is still valid, honored, and a valuable asset for two or three years bought it for. I still get my tech support, still get updates, still get parts, replacement, customer service and tech support who knows the how to, and still fixes problems. With my BB Priv and VZW, I got none of that. I am sure I have a role in that, not being very technically adept, but it still lands on me as the consumer. So be it I guess, LOL.
    Since Android is now in a different kind of flux, regarding update standards for both OS and security, my cash went to iOS with my XR purchase. I still have two KEYones that I dual carry, the AT&T and the BE that’s a backup on T-MOBILE for now.

I get what you’re saying but the industry has everyone under big thumb...
    07-28-19 10:19 PM
    Since Android is now in a different kind of flux, regarding update standards for both OS and security, my cash went to iOS with my XR purchase. I still have two KEYones that I dual carry, the AT&T and the BE that’s a backup on T-MOBILE for now.

I get what you’re saying but the industry has everyone under big thumb...
    I'd sell the AT&T model and keep the BE which has more RAM and storage!
    07-29-19 07:48 AM
    I don't need the latest OS. But I do want security updates. For me right now it is iOS or Pixel series.

07-29-19 09:06 AM
    I'd sell the AT&T model and keep the BE which has more RAM and storage!
    I don’t sell my old devices and I’m using the BE testing other providers for backup coverage.

My XR is getting a lot more use nowadays. I like my KEYones but I’m getting bored...
    07-29-19 01:36 PM
    I don't need the latest OS. But I do want security updates. For me right now it is iOS or Pixel series.

For me it’s Apple with iOS due to family members. I’m the only member that uses anything but iOS of family members.
    07-29-19 01:38 PM
    I don’t sell my old devices
    ...why not?

I like my KEYones but I’m getting bored...
    LOL it doesn't possibly get more boring than iOS
    07-29-19 06:30 PM
    My only iOS device is my iPad. I'm resisting the iPhone as long as I can. As long as the Pixel series gives me 3 years of updates I will stick with that. I learned my lesson when the Priv updates stopped almost 2 years to the day it was released.

For me it’s Apple with iOS due to family members. I’m the only member that uses anything but iOS of family members.
    07-29-19 10:48 PM
    My only iOS device is my iPad. I'm resisting the iPhone as long as I can. As long as the Pixel series gives me 3 years of updates I will stick with that. I learned my lesson when the Priv updates stopped almost 2 years to the day it was released.
    I only used iOS via iPad as well for six years. I needed an emergency phone for a business trip and the almost six year old iPhone 5 hand me down came through for me. I used it for a few months and the XR became the logical upgrade.

Not sure what the next Android upgrade is for me but I suspect it will be some Android mid-tier. Both the 3a or S10e seem worthy enough now but I’ll wait for the official announcement from TCL in the next few months.
    07-30-19 06:31 AM
    ...why not?

LOL it doesn't possibly get more boring than iOS
    Cheaper to prove audit-wise that I’m privacy compliant with client data. Regulatory structure and requirements change to modern times very slow.

Boring is ok for how I use hardware professionally. My PKB only exist since the Android versions are still up to date. I’ll continue to support with real hardware like Key2 and beyond.

I can’t use all that crowd funded garbage as I can’t risk my livelihood on underfunded hardware or software development. I know certain brands aren’t compromised as well.
    07-30-19 07:12 AM
    I'm resisting the iPhone as long as I can.
    Haha that won't be hard for me to do.
    As long as there's something that's NOT an iPhone, then I won't be using one.
    PRIVuser2018 likes this.
    07-30-19 04:13 PM
    Me too. Which is why I have a Pixel.

Haha that won't be hard for me to do.
    As long as there's something that's NOT an iPhone, then I won't be using one.
    07-30-19 05:17 PM
    That would be quite an interesting concept but very costly to manufacture.

Much easier to just have a slab with a clip-on PKB like the Galaxy S8 but much less ugly and with backlighting, capacitive touch, and shortcuts.
    BlackBerry already has a patent for that 😂 Just needs to get made

Posted via CB10
    08-13-19 12:38 AM
    BlackBerry already has a patent for that Just needs to get made

Posted via CB10
    Blackberry has a patent for everything that has to do with keyboards apparently..
    08-14-19 10:55 AM
143 ... 456