Two words. Capacitive Keyboard.
    02-26-19 08:14 AM
    I thoroughly enjoyed my PRIV when it was my daily driver for several months in 2016. It's got beautiful hardware engineering and is definitely a unique device in a see of copy cats.

But it belongs in a museum! I dusted it off over the Christmas break to see if I could use it for a week under lighter usage. I lasted two hours. The specs just don't cut it, Marshmallow is painful and performance overall feels sluggish compared to the KEY2 (as it should given it's a 3.5 year old device). The screen on the other hand is still so, so, so beautiful. BlackBerry really nailed that aspect of the PRIV.

I admire those who still enjoy using the PRIV today. The more I hold it, the more I wish I could use it for a weekend. But based on my needs as a mobile user, it's just not going to happen.
    02-26-19 11:01 AM
    definitely a unique device in a see of copy cats.
    I sea what you did there...
    02-26-19 11:32 AM
    I sea what you did there...
    LOL! Thanks!
    02-26-19 11:41 AM
    Skip the KEYone, at least 3/32 version. The KEYone, 4/64 is the way to go, but for the money, Key2 LE has Oreo/Pie eventually with 4/64 so dollar for dollar in 2019 ....... better future proof.....

Since when you stay in the hourly places on Nebraska??
    I heard you were working over there as your alter ego Chastity Finley. Lol
    02-26-19 12:08 PM
    I heard you were working over there as your alter ego Chastity Finley. Lol
    Depends on the day how I choose to identify....
    02-26-19 01:52 PM
    I've been trying to use my priv as much as possible recently, as here in 2019 it's finally becoming difficult to use due to battery issues. I'm gonna see in the next few weeks if living w/ multiple charges per day is something I'm able to stomach. Until recently an avg day of mixed use would see me get 3.5 to just over 4 hrs of screen on time (I want to say on a particularly lazy off day, some months ago, where I just grazed at home w/ the kids and was on Wifi all day, I may have gotten a few sec over 5 hrs). Recently, ending at barely over 2 hrs of screen on time w/ 4% battery remaining has been much more typical.

A silver 3/32 keyone has been becoming my daily driver, much as I'm pulled back toward the priv. There's just nothing else quite like it out there, and it still turns heads to me from every setting between work and restaurants, etc. The keyone, from back in Feb of 2017, started a bit of an arms race of cell phone interest for me: I loved the look and the design but 1 day after ordering mine the video showing the screen detachment defect was released so I returned mine immediately. Between that May and now I've tried upwards of 10 products trying to find something I enjoy as much as a BlackBerry. This search led me to try the following, and several of these I tested more than one unit: Lg g6, moto g5+, Huawei mate 9, keyone, Razer phone, Motion, keyone black edition, Lg v40, key2, Razer phone 2, moto g7 power, and back to keyone. Come to find that between the shortcuts, the clicky buttons, and the unique designs - nothing comes close for me; not a boombox speaker or a 120hz refresh rate, multiple cameras, etc.

The priv stands as the most beautiful, enjoyable, and flexible phone I've ever seen.
    Last edited by Exedorable; 06-07-19 at 07:16 AM.
    06-07-19 01:06 AM
    I've been trying to use my priv as much as possible recently, as here in 2019 it's finally becoming difficult to use due to battery issues. I'm gonna see in the next few weeks if living w/ multiple charges per day is something I'm able to stomach. Until recently an avg day of mixed use would see me get 3.5 to just over 4 hrs of screen on time (I want to say on a particularly lazy off day, some months ago, where I just grazed at home w/ the kids and was on Wifi all day, I may have gotten a few sec over 5 hrs). Recently, ending at over 2 hrs of screen on time w/ 4% battery remaining has been much more typical.

A silver 3/32 keyone has been becoming my daily driver, much as I'm pulled back toward the priv. There's just nothing else quite like it out there, and it still turns heads to me from every setting between work and restaurants, etc. The keyone, from back in Feb of 2017, started a bit of an arms race of cell phone interest for me: I loved the look and the design but 1 day after ordering mine the video showing the screen detachment defect was released so I returned mine immediately. Between that May and now I've tried upwards of 10 products trying to find something I enjoy as much as a BlackBerry. This search led me to try the following, and several of these I tested more than one unit: Lg g6, moto g5+, Huawei mate 9, keyone, Razer phone, Motion, keyone black edition, Lg v40, key2, Razer phone 2, moto g7 power, and back to keyone. Come to find that between the shortcuts, the clicky buttons, and the unique designs - nothing comes close for me; not a boombox speaker or a 120hz refresh rate, multiple cameras, etc.

The priv stands as the most beautiful, enjoyable, and flexible phone I've ever seen.
    This interview is for you. Enjoy.

https://blogs.blackberry.com/2015/12...e-priv-qa-pics
    Exedorable likes this.
    06-07-19 04:18 AM
    I do not own (a PRIV), but I love it's design more than the Keyone or Key2. I like that it was actually made by RIM and not an 3rd party with BB branding.
    Agree and disagree.

Agree: I love the styling, I loved having two keyboards, I loved the slider.

Disagree: Made by RIM could be the problem. Maybe BBMo could build a better, stronger and more reliable device.
    06-07-19 06:53 AM
    Hi all, I really do not understand what is the problem of the People saying how bad the Priv is. I have had BlackBerry Phones before and my Priv now 3 Years. So when U know from the beginnig what U consider to do with ur Phone. I wanted the Priv with It's Specs like it is. I do no Games and I have all the BlackBerry Software on it like it supposed to be. No FB, and all that stuff i dont need anyway. I have no Problems at all. Yes sometimes it acts not like it should, but it has 3 Years on it and it is my Primary Phone all the Time. But nothing from what I read here offen, happens to me, luckily saying. No draining, 2 Days of Battery without charging is no thing for me. It was charged over Night and now It's 3 PM und if U believe it or not it is on 85%. And i have a normal usage.
    06-07-19 08:30 AM
    I also like the look of the priv and wouldn't mind getting one to try. Been looking on the Bay Recently but don't want to pay the outrageous prices people are asking for.
    06-07-19 11:45 AM
    I love the Priv from a design, and style perspective, but when I bought it after reading reviwes, I understood I couldn't run it too hard. For lack of a better phrase, it has to be babied. I don't want too many apps running in the background, and I consciously do things to keep heat levels down on the Snapdragon 808. It's all about heat management on this phone. When rebooting it, I have it sit on a bag of ice. Yes. You read that right. Other BlackBerry phones are better workhorses and have better battery life. For me, this phone is about style and showing off. If I expect more out of it, I'll probably just be disappointed.

Anyway, too bad Qualcom blew it with the 808 processor.

Posted via CB10
    06-07-19 02:23 PM
    Hi all, I really do not understand what is the problem of the People saying how bad the Priv is. I have had BlackBerry Phones before and my Priv now 3 Years. So when U know from the beginnig what U consider to do with ur Phone. I wanted the Priv with It's Specs like it is. I do no Games and I have all the BlackBerry Software on it like it supposed to be. No FB, and all that stuff i dont need anyway. I have no Problems at all. Yes sometimes it acts not like it should, but it has 3 Years on it and it is my Primary Phone all the Time. But nothing from what I read here offen, happens to me, luckily saying. No draining, 2 Days of Battery without charging is no thing for me. It was charged over Night and now It's 3 PM und if U believe it or not it is on 85%. And i have a normal usage.
    I want to agree with you, but after using an LG G7 for a month (last year's flagship), I have to disagree. I mostly browse sites, had 2 emails synced, and only the most basic apps on my PRIV, yet I was lucky to get 5h SoT (no streaming either). I tried every trick I found on CrackBerry, but not much help.

The PRIV would get warm after a few minutes of use, and hot after 15-30min, even in Canadian winters. When wakelocks were acting up, it would drain from 100% to 0% in less than half a day, while completely idle in airplane mode.

I blame the 808, and it being BlackBerry's first Android venture (less optimization). A successor to the PRIV is what we need, and could be the most perfect phone known to mankind.
    Exedorable likes this.
    06-07-19 03:03 PM
    the Priv is a contender for the best phone i have ever owned...
    Exedorable likes this.
    06-09-19 05:15 PM
    the Priv is also a contender for the worst phone I've ever owned...
    06-09-19 05:16 PM
    It’s a love/hate relationship...
    Exedorable, nuffznuff and NRB like this.
    06-09-19 05:21 PM
    Battery backup is not so good but others fine
    07-20-19 03:11 AM
    I want to agree with you, but after using an LG G7 for a month (last year's flagship), I have to disagree. I mostly browse sites, had 2 emails synced, and only the most basic apps on my PRIV, yet I was lucky to get 5h SoT (no streaming either). I tried every trick I found on CrackBerry, but not much help.

The PRIV would get warm after a few minutes of use, and hot after 15-30min, even in Canadian winters. When wakelocks were acting up, it would drain from 100% to 0% in less than half a day, while completely idle in airplane mode.

I blame the 808, and it being BlackBerry's first Android venture (less optimization). A successor to the PRIV is what we need, and could be the most perfect phone known to mankind.
    Yup. A successor we need.

To this day i still use mi priv and it fills all my needs. Im not a complicated guy, i just need my emails, the usual every day apps and good browsing.

My only indispensable app is whatsapp, and as long as the priv supports it, im in no hurry to wait for a priv 2. I hope it happens.

I suppouse that the peeps who have battery issues is because of the social media apps. I have them but i dont use them frquently, so maybe thats why i dont have issues with my priv.

The camera, i dont mind. I just use it when i need it, dont need a high performance camera either.
    07-20-19 01:19 PM

I suppouse that the peeps who have battery issues is because of the social media apps. I have them but i dont use them frquently, so maybe thats why i dont have issues with my priv.
    Well, the Priv gets super hot and drains battery when using something as important as GPS navigation.

I wouldn't exactly call Google Maps a "social app" but my point is that even with all the tips and tricks applied, my Privs couldn't keep up with my usage. Not even close.

That's why I ended up choosing the 4.5" LCD instead of the 5.4" AMOLED.
    Exedorable likes this.
    07-21-19 09:18 AM
    in my opinion the physicality is great, the visual appeal is monumentally excellent, and the functionality is at the limit of UNusable...
    the_boon likes this.
    07-23-19 12:01 PM
    in my opinion the physicality is great, the visual appeal is monumentally excellent, and the functionality is at the limit of UNusable...
    It's a shame isn't it...

If I could swap the KEYone/2/LE processor into a Priv I'd be using it as my main daily driver
    RLeeSimon and Exedorable like this.
    07-23-19 12:07 PM
    It's a shame isn't it...

If I could swap the KEYone/2/LE processor into a Priv I'd be using it as my main daily driver
    Is absolutely a shame since the device is so thin and well designed a person could use it as a slab and never even bother with the keyboard which I claim would be an attraction for other users to purchase the device. It's a stunning item and feels good in the hand and does a great job. The innerds are crap. It would be a boon to the UniHertz maker of the Titan to consider making a Priv² equivalent also as well. They could perhaps overcome the need to arrange patent infringement protection by contract with blackberry for the capacitive keyboard by simply buying the keyboards from BlackBerry for installing their phones and the firmware for it too... it might add cost but would be a real flagship... That would be a great idea. It would be a boon to many...
    Last edited by RLeeSimon; 07-23-19 at 01:19 PM.
    07-23-19 01:09 PM
    Is absolutely a shame since the device is so thin and well designed a person could use it as a slab and never even bother with the keyboard which I claim would be an attraction for other users to purchase the device. It's a stunning item and feels good in the hand and does a great job. The innerds are crap. It would be a boon to the UniHertz maker of the Titan to consider making a Priv² equivalent also as well. They could perhaps overcome the need to arrange patent infringement protection by contract with blackberry for the capacitive keyboard by simply buying the keyboards from BlackBerry for installing their phones and the firmware for it too... it might add cost but would be a real flagship... That would be a great idea. It would be a boon to many...
    Yes, it would also be a boon to me as well (pun intended).

The Priv also brought us the grippiest back I've ever had on a smartphone.

It was just incredible, you could hold it at almost a 90 degree angle and it wouldn't slip out of your hand.
    07-26-19 05:53 PM
    Hopefully this design shall Priv-ail!

Posted via CB10
    07-27-19 08:01 PM
    So, let me preface my comments by saying I am not a hard-core, road-warrior, knowledgeable techie. I pay good money for the latest, most current device, operate as instructed, and expect it to work and function properly. There shouldn't have to be any end-arounds, workarounds, back-door fixes, etc. The device should be supported -- by manufacturer, seller, and carrier -- and not be obsolete or a dinosaur within months, or even a year. Yes, a newer model will come out, but that doesn't mean the previous one should be disowned or completely forgotten about.

That said, in my opinion -- and let be clear -- the Priv WAS a good phone. I think it was. However, I have some mixed emotions in saying that. Why? Because it did have issues (not just my phone) and problems from day one. More importantly, they never got resolved -- the battery life being one, the battery/device running hot, another, and more) -- and that to me takes away from it being a good phone. So, if it was a good phone, I would certainly take off points for the issues it had from day one.

That said, for me, shortly thereafter it being a good phone, it became NOT a good phone, for many reasons. I wish it remained a good phone. I wish it didn't have those problems/issues from day one. Some of the reasons were direct, device specific, and the like; while other reasons were more secondary, byproduct, marketplace, etc. Not long after getting the Priv, my carrier (who I bought the Priv from) stopped supporting it. That made life difficult. Then BB stopped supporting it. The problems as I said continued. New ones developed. Even if you wanted to, you couldn't solve some of the inherent problems.

All of that aside, I was never really able to use the Priv for the internet, visiting websites, etc., so I felt I was losing a major use of a top-quality device. I wanted the Priv to be a good device -- a great device. However, overall, for the most part, where I ended up, I am sorry to say that early on, for a brief period of time, it was a good device... but quickly ended up not being a good device.
    07-28-19 12:12 PM
143 ... 3456