On the VZW website it shows the priv as a world phone with obvious GSM bands. My question is will a VZW priv work on T-Mobile?
    I'm currently a VZW subscriber but I'm looking to move to T-Mobile to cut some cost. I'm in the NY metro area so I don't think coverage is an issue. I was wondering what my best course of action should be.
    1) buy directly from BlackBerry and go unlocked to T-Mobile (straight forward maybe avoid the bloatware. [the downside is if T-Mobile blows I'm stuck with a good device on a bad carrier]
    2) buy from VZW and move it over to T-Mobile (if that's even an option) this way if T-Mobile totally blows I can take my purchased device back to VZW and deal with the inflated Verizon cost
    3) I wonder how true the rumors are about unlocked Priv working on VZW.

Help CB community!
    Any advice or input would be greatly appreciated.

Posted via CB10
    03-13-16 10:42 PM
    I don't know about the Priv specifically, BUT most if not all 4G LTE phones on Verizon are sold unlocked and work on T-Mobile. Some even have the preferred band 12, pretty sure the Priv does. My family recently switched from Verizon to T-Mobile and we brought a couple iPhones, and a BlackBerry Q10 and they worked fine and got full LTE. Your plan makes sense, HOWEVER I think you will love T-Mobile. Their service has gotten MUCH better and they have many special features that make the account better such as Music Freedom, and BingeOn. They also let you call and text to Mexico and Canada for free (and data and text for free in many other countries)
    03-13-16 11:11 PM
    On the T-Mobile site there is a compatibility checker. And the Q10 from Verizon checks out but the Priv doesn't. Even though MANY of the bands are present. I'm confused.

Posted via CB10
    03-13-16 11:54 PM
    On the T-Mobile site there is a compatibility checker. And the Q10 from Verizon checks out but the Priv doesn't. Even though MANY of the bands are present. I'm confused.

Posted via CB10

Not all devices that work check out on their checker, my completely unlocked iphone 6 plus did not check out either but it works just fine. I have the Apple Store unlocked version, it works on any carrier and I knew this so I just popped in my SIM and sure enough it worked. You COULD go to a store and ask if they will test a SIM for you. BTW my unlocked Priv from Amazon also worked fine on T-Mobile (still does as my Dad is now using it)
    03-14-16 08:06 AM
    The factory unlocked model has the T-Mobile bands in it, including Band 12.

I do not know what the Verizon model has in it, or if it is factory unlocked (other BlackBerry devices of theirs have been, but have NOT had the HSPA and LTE bands used in the US -- they work, but only get EDGE speeds!) The downside of the Verizon model, however, is that you will NOT get the direct firmware updates from BlackBerry -- you will wind up waiting for Verizon to release theirs.
    03-14-16 08:24 AM
    i live in queens, using an unlocked priv from shop.blackberry on t mobile. that is the way to go. dont bring over a verizon priv, because i am pretty sure it is a different variant. with the unlocked priv, you can get updates faster, and have the ability to use the phone in other countries.
    03-14-16 08:59 AM
    Ok based on this thread, it appears you will have some LTE issues with the Verizon Priv on T-Mobile. It has SOME but not all and not the main T-Mobile LTE bands. You WILL get 3G Plus, and some LTE, but sounds like you are better off with either a T-Mobile device OR the unlocked.
    03-14-16 09:10 AM
    Ok based on this thread, it appears you will have some LTE issues with the Verizon Priv on T-Mobile. It has SOME but not all and not the main T-Mobile LTE bands. You WILL get 3G Plus, and some LTE, but sounds like you are better off with either a T-Mobile device OR the unlocked.
    This is a screen shot of the Verizon Priv specs page.
    Priv question (Verizon / T-Mobile)-img_20160314_112926.png

Posted from my Verizon Z10 10.3.2.858
    03-14-16 10:30 AM
    ^Those specs aren't quite right--the Verizon Priv also has the UMTS 1700 band, which is important for T-Mobile.

Basically, T-Mobile has five high speed (UMTS or LTE) networks. Out of these five, the Verizon Priv can work on four of them, which makes it just as compatible as BB10 phones sold by T-Mobile.

The Verizon Priv is sold unlocked.
    03-14-16 11:21 AM
    ^Those specs aren't quite right--the Verizon Priv also has the UMTS 1700 band, which is important for T-Mobile.

Basically, T-Mobile has five high speed (UMTS or LTE) networks. Out of these five, the Verizon Priv can work on four of them, which makes it just as compatible as BB10 phones sold by T-Mobile.

The Verizon Priv is sold unlocked.

Well it's NOT 100% But yes it should work, and you should get LTE, but not the famous band 12.
    03-14-16 01:52 PM
    Anyone work for Verizon I have a question

Posted via CB10
    03-14-16 09:41 PM
    If you have good credit, you can test drive T-Mobile for free for a week. That's what my girlfriend and I did, we found better service with T-Mobile vs Verizon in our areas. She works in Manhattan, I work in Philly, we live in Princeton, and go down to the Atlantic City area a lot. Better service in all areas.
    03-14-16 09:56 PM
    If you have good credit, you can test drive T-Mobile for free for a week.
    How long ago was this? TMO ended the Test Drive program a while back. Now you have to lease a phone (limited number of choices, not including the Priv) and have your credit run. Yay.
    03-14-16 09:59 PM
    How long ago was this? TMO ended the Test Drive program a while back. Now you have to lease a phone (limited number of choices, not including the Priv) and have your credit run. Yay.
    End of August last year I believe.
    03-14-16 10:10 PM
    If you have good credit, you can test drive T-Mobile for free for a week. That's what my girlfriend and I did, we found better service with T-Mobile vs Verizon in our areas. She works in Manhattan, I work in Philly, we live in Princeton, and go down to the Atlantic City area a lot. Better service in all areas.

Yea T-Mobile is great in these areas! I live in Philly, and visit my parent's 2nd home in (near) AC, plus I go to NYC for pleasure every so often too. Plus T-Mobile has improved vastly outside of the major cities also.
    03-15-16 08:56 AM
    Yea T-Mobile is great in these areas! I live in Philly, and visit my parent's 2nd home in (near) AC, plus I go to NYC for pleasure every so often too. Plus T-Mobile has improved vastly outside of the major cities also.
    Yeah I was really surprised. Where do you go around AC?
    03-15-16 09:10 AM
    Yeah I was really surprised. Where do you go around AC?

My folks have a place in Ventnor. I go to AC for the shops or to eat, or for 12 step meetings. Used to LOVE going to sporting events down there, AC Surf and AC Boardwalk Bullies games before the teams left town. And I always make the games when other hockey teams visit, like the Adirondack Devils were doing for a while.
    jm1219 likes this.
    03-15-16 09:17 AM
    My folks have a place in Ventnor. I go to AC for the shops or to eat, or for 12 step meetings. Used to LOVE going to sporting events down there, AC Surf and AC Boardwalk Bullies games before the teams left town. And I always make the games when other hockey teams visit, like the Adirondack Devils were doing for a while.
    I used to love AC Surf when I was a kid. I was asking because we have a house in Brigantine and my family has an ice cream store there. We're also best friends with the Margate Dairy Bar owner if you ever been there.
    03-15-16 09:58 AM
    I used to love AC Surf when I was a kid. I was asking because we have a house in Brigantine and my family has an ice cream store there. We're also best friends with the Margate Dairy Bar owner if you ever been there.

Yes of course I've been to the Dairy Bar! Been to Brigantine too, but now only to go to AA Meetings, BUT I used to go to the famous Brigantine Castle when I was a kid. You might be too young for that, but ask your folks. Small world!
    03-15-16 02:28 PM
    Yes of course I've been to the Dairy Bar! Been to Brigantine too, but now only to go to AA Meetings, BUT I used to go to the famous Brigantine Castle when I was a kid. You might be too young for that, but ask your folks. Small world!
    Haha that's awesome. And yeah, I'm 24, so too young for it but I've heard a lot about Brigantine Castle. Small world indeed.
    03-15-16 02:53 PM