So I guess the slogan "PRIV privilege privacy" Now has me even more confused. "PRIV" in privilege and "PRIV" in privacy are pronounced differently. So how am I supposed to pronounce "PRIV" again? What the ....?
    09-25-15 10:28 PM
    It's simple the name is Priv as in Privilege and those four letters are also used to spell Privacy.
    09-25-15 10:35 PM
    Yeah JC make it complicated he should associated it with one word not two, imo
    lift likes this.
    09-25-15 10:37 PM
    Yeah JC make it complicated he should associated it with one word not two, imo
    Exactly. Associating it with two words where "PRIV" is pronounced differently will cause some to pronounce it one way and some to pronounce it the other way and create lots of confusion.
    As bad as the name "Leap" is, at least everyone knows how to say it.
    09-25-15 10:56 PM
    In the UK I believe (I am Norwegian) it is pronounced the same, right? Really not smart to not consider this will be an issue with US English.
    nonamenomore and lift like this.
    09-26-15 10:12 AM
    In the video CEO told the reporter as follows.

''Privacy is what you get, security is what we provide, and privilege is what you end up. That's how we think about it.''

Posted via CB10
    09-26-15 10:54 PM
    Too funny. In the very beginning of the video, He pronounces it PRIV like in PRIV-ilege then immediately says it stands for PRIV-acy. Both PRIV's pronounced totally different.
    09-26-15 11:08 PM
    I wonder if Chen was the only one on board with this... I can't imagine that many people at BlackBerry HQ.. said that this is genius....

Z30STA100-5/10.3.2.2639
    lift and ayngling like this.
    09-26-15 11:30 PM
    It's clear that BlackBerry feels that their main differentiator in the Android arena will be directly addressing Android privacy concerns. It will probably default to having all of the permissions turned off. Of course that will render most platform features unusable such as calling an Uber of finding a nearby Priceline deal. I'm pretty sure that in order to use Google Maps, you have to let them know your exact location.

It sounds like they did a focus group about unmet needs in an Android phone and came up with privacy. I hope that John Chen has people around him that use this stuff because he obviously doesn't.
    lift and ayngling like this.
    09-27-15 12:54 AM
    By calling the new phone PRIV, BlackBerry makes a distinction between Privacy and Security. The Privacy part (whatever that actually is) is included in the price of the phone. Sales of Security software and Services are what BlackBerry's business is now mainly about.
    09-27-15 10:22 AM
    Too funny. In the very beginning of the video, He pronounces it PRIV like in PRIV-ilege then immediately says it stands for PRIV-acy. Both PRIV's pronounced totally different.
    Yeah he kinda dropped the ball there.
    lift likes this.
    09-27-15 10:23 AM
    Priv in privilege and privacy is exactly the same. Rhymes with shiv. Unless you pronounce it Pryvacy because you happen to live in the smaller of the two North American countries. Certainly it's correct in Britain.

PassportSQW100-1/10.3.1.2576 O2 UK
    09-27-15 11:16 AM
    Priv in privilege and privacy is exactly the same. Rhymes with shiv. Unless you pronounce it Pryvacy because you happen to live in the smaller of the two North American countries. Certainly it's correct in Britain.

Oh you meant the sounds is the same in Britain?
    Privacy and privilege?
    09-27-15 11:34 AM
    Yep. Same sound for Priv in privacy as riv in river. The US says the I different like in driver. I really don't know how the Canadians say it and I guess that is the important one as BlackBerry is Canadian.

Uzi likes this.
    09-27-15 01:19 PM
    Yep. Same sound for Priv in privacy as riv in river.
    Not in the US. Let's have some people from Canada jump in here. Is the "Priv" in privacy and privilege pronounced the same in Canada?
    09-27-15 04:23 PM
    In Canada privacy is pronounce the same as in the US.
    lift likes this.
    09-27-15 04:37 PM
    Will the priv have the blackberry hub and push email system

Posted via CB10
    09-27-15 04:54 PM
    I wonder if Chen was the only one on board with this... I can't imagine that many people at BlackBerry HQ.. said that this is genius....

Z30STA100-5/10.3.2.2639
    Many? There's only 3 people left at BlackBerry.. and one of those 3 is the janitor.

PassportSQW100-1/10.3.2.2339
    09-27-15 05:41 PM
    In Canada privacy is pronounce the same as in the US.

Mr. John S. Chen (Chinese: 程守宗) was born on July 1, 1955, in Hong Kong (which was a British Dependent Territory).

http://dictionary.cambridge.org/pron...nglish/privacy

PRIV: Privilege Privacy-img_20150928_232856.png

---------- Original Message ----------
    Date: Friday, September 25, 2015
    Subject: BlackBerry Priv
    To:

Hello there, it's Priv as in privilege.

‎Let us know if you have any other questions.

Thanks,

---------- Original Message ----------
    Sent: Friday, September 25, 2015
    To: Media Relations
    Subject: BlackBerry Priv

Dear Sir / Madam,

Having read and listened to today's quarterly release, I wonder if the device is called [ praiv ] as in privacy, [ priv ] as in privilege, or in any other pronunciation.

I would appreciate it very much if you kindly teach me how to pronounce the name of the device.

Thank you very much in advance. Sincerely,

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by yhamaie; 09-28-15 at 09:48 AM.
    09-28-15 09:38 AM
    Will the priv have the blackberry hub and push email system
    Yes. Push email was originally provided by the BlackBerry BBOS through BIS mail servers, but it is now a standard feature of most email providers regardless of the OS.
    09-28-15 10:45 AM
    Mr. John S. Chen (Chinese: 程守宗) was born on July 1, 1955, in Hong Kong (which was a British Dependent Territory).
    So to Chen, PRIV is pronounced the same for privacy and privilege. But to US and Canada it is not pronounced the same. Sounds to me like this name was Chen's idea and all of his sheep at BlackBerry just bowed down to him in fear of losing their jobs.
    09-28-15 11:35 AM