My theory is that all the carriers will come in at 799CDN upon release, which gives shopBB a 2+ week window at 899CDN which is fine if you need it unlocked and free of carrier logo's etc

If one buy it from carrier outright it still need to be unlocked.
    10-23-15 02:31 PM
    Unless you use that carrier that is lol
    And someone correct me if I'm wrong some carriers sell unlocked devices I believe Rogers does this?
    10-23-15 02:38 PM
    Z10, Z30, Q10, Classic, Curve 8900, Samsung S, S2, HTC G1 were all logo free, I dont see why the PRIV would have a carrier logo (Canadian)
    10-23-15 02:40 PM
    Unless you use that carrier that is lol
    And someone correct me if I'm wrong some carriers sell unlocked devices I believe Rogers does this?
    I never heard of that before. Unless time has changed. Then shop BB would go under
    10-23-15 02:42 PM
    Yeah Rogers said officially that you still have to get it unlocked - https://twitter.com/RogersHelps/stat...39224298487808
    10-23-15 02:43 PM
    Yeah Rogers said officially that you still have to get it unlocked - https://twitter.com/RogersHelps/stat...39224298487808
    So you can buy an unlocked phone from Rogers?
    10-23-15 02:50 PM
    Nop[e they said in that tweet you have to go elsewhere to unlock it.
    10-23-15 02:51 PM
    Technically, yes. You can have them unlock it for a fee to be used on other networks. If you paid full price, they are required by the new CRTC rules that came in place this summer to unlock it immediately.

Here's the CRTC stuff (refer to the 3rd bullet):
    Checklist: Do You Know Your Rights as a Wireless Consumer?

You can also search Rogers' website for more info. They charge $50 to unlock a phone. So in the case of the Priv, if their off-contract price is $799, then you would end up paying $849 (799 + 50) for an unlocked Priv which is $50 cheaper than through ShopBlackBerry. However, a Rogers Priv would have Rogers bloatware preinstalled and software updates would be from Rogers, not BlackBerry directly.
    10-23-15 04:14 PM
    Nop[e they said in that tweet you have to go elsewhere to unlock it.
    I just wanted to clarify that they don't actually say that you need to go elsewhere to do unlock, just that it needs to be unlocked if bought outright. Therefore, you can buy it for full price from them, pay the unlock fee, and have an unlocked Priv.
    10-23-15 04:19 PM
    I just wanted to clarify that they don't actually say that you need to go elsewhere to do unlock, just that it needs to be unlocked if bought outright. Therefore, you can buy it for full price from them, pay the unlock fee, and have an unlocked Priv.
    They told me they won't unlock it for the first 90 days because they rather have you on contract than just buying the phone and leaving.
    10-23-15 04:21 PM
    Technically, yes. You can have them unlock it for a fee to be used on other networks. If you paid full price, they are required by the new CRTC rules that came in place this summer to unlock it immediately.

Here's the CRTC stuff (refer to the 3rd bullet):
    Checklist: Do You Know Your Rights as a Wireless Consumer?

You can also search Rogers' website for more info. They charge $50 to unlock a phone. So in the case of the Priv, if their off-contract price is $799, then you would end up paying $849 (799 + 50) for an unlocked Priv which is $50 cheaper than through ShopBlackBerry. However, a Rogers Priv would have Rogers bloatware preinstalled and software updates would be from Rogers, not BlackBerry directly.
    Yeah but you can probably get it unlocked elsewhere cheaper...
    10-23-15 04:22 PM
    I guess Priv is really short for "privation."

privation (praɪˈveɪʃən) n

1. loss or lack of the necessities of life, such as food and shelter
    2. hardship resulting from this
    3. the state of being deprived
    4. (Logic) logic the absence from an object of what ordinarily or naturally belongs to such objects

from Latin prīvātiō deprivation
    10-23-15 04:35 PM
    The official release date is the 6th. Why are you all so bitter? Just because it's Android and you can't afford it? Relax

Posted via CB10
    10-23-15 05:02 PM
    I can't afford it. But I'm still buying it.
    10-23-15 05:05 PM
    They told me they won't unlock it for the first 90 days because they rather have you on contract than just buying the phone and leaving.
    They say that, but that seems to contravene the CRTC Wireless Code. From the link I provided above:

"Do you pay your bill after you use your wireless service? If so, you use postpaid services, and you have the right:

- to have your phone unlocked after 90 days, or immediately if you paid in full for your phone, at the rate specified by the service provider, upon request."

Rogers would obviously prefer you get it under contract, but if you buy it outright, they can't refuse to unlock it.
    10-23-15 06:05 PM
    They say that, but that seems to contravene the CRTC Wireless Code. From the link I provided above:

"Do you pay your bill after you use your wireless service? If so, you use postpaid services, and you have the right:

- to have your phone unlocked after 90 days, or immediately if you paid in full for your phone, at the rate specified by the service provider, upon request."

Rogers would obviously prefer you get it under contract, but if you buy it outright, they can't refuse to unlock it.
    Does this work if you arent using Rogers as your service provider.
    10-23-15 06:07 PM
    I wouldn't even bother, just go straight to third party unlockers. Cheaper and likely faster, given that the clueless reps might give you a runaround and you end up having to go to the CCTS.

I bought an LG G2 during a Bell no-contract pricing error, the third party unlock was available before they officially launched it.
    10-23-15 06:14 PM
    I usually use cellunlocker
    10-23-15 06:16 PM
    Good luck with the pricing of this phone.....better be a really superior to other competitors.

Posted via CB10
    10-23-15 06:24 PM
    Good luck with the pricing of this phone.....better be a really superior to other competitors.

Posted via CB10
    Cheaper then Galaxy S6 Edge Plus, and the PRIV offers way more.
    10-23-15 06:27 PM
    Not sure. But like Toni said, you don't have to get it unlocked through them. However, according to their website:

"Unlocking your phone will NOT void your warranty if done through Rogers."

I interpret the above to mean that if you get it unlocked elsewhere, they could potentially void your warranty. I don't personally have any experience with this so I'm not sure if they can actually do that.
    10-23-15 06:37 PM
    Not sure. But like Toni said, you don't have to get it unlocked through them. However, according to their website:

I interpret the above to mean that if you get it unlocked elsewhere, they could potentially void your warranty. I don't personally have any experience with this so I'm not sure if they can actually do that.
    Sounds like a good way to say. "Get a contract!"
    10-23-15 06:44 PM

Unlocking is literally using a screen on the phone itself, they can't void warranties like that. You're not soldering hardware or anything onto it to cause damage.
    10-23-15 06:48 PM
    You can whine about the price all you want, but the fact of the matter is this phone wasn't cheap to manufacture. They can't drop the price below their production cost. That'd be pointless. It's a high-end phone with a sliding keyboard. Moving parts aren't cheap. This is an amazing phone and it comes at a price.

 Posted via CB10 - Passport - 10.3.2.2639 
    10-23-15 06:48 PM
    You can whine about the price all you want, but the fact of the matter is this phone wasn't cheap to manufacture. They can't drop the price below their production cost. That'd be pointless. It's a high-end phone with a sliding keyboard. Moving parts aren't cheap. This is an amazing phone and it comes at a price.

 Posted via CB10 - Passport - 10.3.2.2639 
    Canadian price is high but it's not their fault. US price is perfectly fair IMO, with my explanation here:

http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe.../#post12014534
    10-23-15 06:50 PM
77 1234