What backup app do you use?
    I have used App Backup & Restore.

I had not used it for a while. Just backed up 200 apps in pretty quick order - about 2.5 gigabytes. But I goofed - they were backed up to Internal Memory (you can change that) so now I'm moving them to the editsd card.

edited to add: I don't see it in the Playstore anymore!!!!!
    Last edited by FF22; 01-20-17 at 11:49 AM.
    anon(3641385) likes this.
    01-20-17 10:51 AM
    Thanks f2 2.5gb of backup!!! Does that just transfer, or go via the net/wifi?

And thanks for letting me know that it's no longer in the app store (i try and get the apps people like yourself recommend )

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

By golly, bb is about security software now, and i would have thought that device backup was one of the more important aspects of security ..... come on bb .... your (not) making backup software needs to be reconsidered ....
    01-20-17 07:15 PM

And thanks for letting me know that it's no longer in the app store (i try and get the apps people like yourself recommend )

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

By golly, bb is about security software now, and i would have thought that device backup was one of the more important aspects of security ..... come on bb .... your (not) making backup software needs to be reconsidered ....
    *points to Link*
    01-20-17 08:56 PM

I backed them up to my sd-card. Now, it is only the app install files themselves - NOT settings or data for those apps.
    01-20-17 09:17 PM
    *points to Link*
    What???
    01-20-17 09:18 PM
    What???
    An example of BlackBerry's care and commitment to backup software.
    FF22 likes this.
    01-20-17 09:30 PM
    Bb Link doesn't work with bb android, so i'm unclear .....
    01-20-17 09:37 PM
    Doesn't work so well with BB10 either.
    Thud Hardsmack and FF22 like this.
    01-20-17 09:55 PM
    Ah, I was thinking in terms of a url-link to something or other.

Yes, I've occasionally thrown out the example of Link and Desktop Manager as examples of BB's software prowess - NOT!

While, Blend, which I still consider terrific - they abandoned. And I know folks keep saying that BB does not have to recreate x, y, z apps because there are already tons of apps in the Playstore. Well, there are tons but some don't have equals.
    01-20-17 11:18 PM
    He was being ironic. BB's backup software, Link and Desktop Manager before that, were always somewhat problematic - meaning that you could not depend on them for backup. Sometimes they worked and others times, not so well. I would run a Link Backup and then 3 days later, it just would do absolutely NOTHING. Just never connect or see my phone.

But I, too, would like some better backup options. I'd just like a darn way to backup my Launcher settings, icon and widget placement and then a way to restore them so that if I use Safe Mode, I could easily recreate my homepages/desktop.
    BigBadWulf likes this.
    01-20-17 11:22 PM
    One of many reasons I chose Nova Launcher, gestures being another strong influence in my choice.
    FF22 and Thud Hardsmack like this.
    01-20-17 11:33 PM
    Fortunately for me i've never had a problem with bb desktop mgr or link, and both still work as they should with my 9700 and classic.
    01-20-17 11:37 PM
    One of many reasons I chose Nova Launcher, gestures being another strong influence in my choice.
    Does nova have it's own backup ability? Or do you need to use it as part of google's backup ....
    01-20-17 11:39 PM
    Does nova have it's own backup ability? Or do you need to use it as part of google's backup ....
    Yes it does, on device or cloud or both.
    BigBadWulf likes this.
    01-21-17 12:57 AM
    Bingo. That is the other Asus app that I have - their Calculator. And I'm fairly certain I got it from the app store a while back when looking for Calcs with conversion mode.
    Yeah someone suggested it to my when I was looking for one similar to the bb10 one. May have even been yourself, but that's when you went by the quicker F2

Also, do you have the Asus Calculator app show up in your downloaded / installed apps in the play store? It's disappeared from my list, even though it's installed and working on my phone. Guess I just won't receive any updates.
    FF22 likes this.
    01-21-17 05:13 AM
    If you want a calculator as powerful as your flashlight, try this.
    Seems to be great: ad free/open source, very few permissions (network only) and dev is answering on comments and will implement bits/bytes too
    Last edited by gizmo21; 01-21-17 at 06:03 AM.
    01-21-17 05:48 AM
    Yeah someone suggested it to my when I was looking for one similar to the bb10 one. May have even been yourself, but that's when you went by the quicker F2

Also, do you have the Asus Calculator app show up in your downloaded / installed apps in the play store? It's disappeared from my list, even though it's installed and working on my phone. Guess I just won't receive any updates.
    The shorter name/ID was causing problems - it could not be searched for and it locked me out of altering my profile since it was "illegal."

I wonder why they withdrew the Calculator? Was it merely restricted to their devices or what? Fortunately, so far, they still offer and upgrade their File Manager.

Oh, I see this when I tapped on it in my ALL apps - "Your device isn't compatible with this version."

Although in the "fine print" is says "Calculator is now available for all Android devices running version 4.1 and above."
    01-21-17 08:47 AM
    Seems to be great: ad free/open source, very few permissions (network only) and dev is answering on comments and will implement bits/bytes too
    Looks interesting. I guess it needs Network access for Currency conversion.
    01-21-17 09:25 AM
    Looks interesting. I guess it needs Network access for Currency conversion.
    Yes that will be the case for the network need, but that's OK.

Haven't tried offline currency mode though, cause often you don't have a network data connection in other countries so it would be nice if the last currency conversion rate is saved for offline use as it usually doesn't change that much (well except the country leaves an 50year old Union or some populist gets in charge of the country and turns everything upside down - OK sadly this happens more often these days).
    FF22 likes this.
    01-21-17 03:37 PM
    What backup app do you use?
    es file explorer allows backup of apps.
    01-22-17 10:19 PM
    es file explorer allows backup of apps.
    There are some folks who don't fully trust ES File Explorer but you'd have to see why using a Google search.
    01-22-17 11:15 PM
    MiXplorer also allows for easy apk backup, along with access to all cloud services, among many other features. It is however not in play store. You'll have to go to XDA, and allow outside source install.
    01-22-17 11:22 PM
    I just tried the zenui phone + contacts app, and the look and feel is great. But i've uninstalled it because i'm just a bit wary of not being able to customise the settings, like date presentation and other stuff.

I really hope that bb is going to make a phone app or overlay.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d....asus.contacts
    I use and like the ZenUI Contacts app because it has a dark mode option. Highly suggested for those looking to use dark themes where possible.
    01-22-17 11:46 PM
48 12