Extraordinary! My priv, received new 5 Jan, is now powered by BB, google and Asus!

Why, because the bulk of the software is powered by BB and Google, but the third most populated software supplier on my device is Asus. I've got the Asus ZenUI family Tools installed: File Manager, Calculator, Clock and Flashlight. And what fabulous apps these are! From my scant use and settings so far, they readily equal anything that BB would supply, and potentially best BB!

Neither the Calculator nor the clock is able to be downloaded from the Playstore, so I've used the respective apk's. (And I've never downloaded an apk before, even though I've owned a BB since 2008).

In fact I've never thought about buying any other product than a BB, but now I've seen the quality of the zenui stuff I've been perusing the asus range. By not providing these basic features BB has introduced me to another phone provider's software ..... that's not right BB ..... get your act together on this basic stuff! (And yes, I'm sticking with buying only bb phones)

Here are the urls:
    https://www.androiddrawer.com/30230/...idget-app-apk/
    ASUS Calculator 1.5.0.95_161014 beta APK Download by ASUS - APKMirror

I might add that neither neither app requires access to anything on the phone, although I gave the clock permission to look at music so that my fav alarms could be used.

Please note, the playstore doesn't permit BB phones installation of the zenui clock or calculator.

Edit
    Malwarebytes did an auto check on both apps as they donwloaded and confirmed there were no nasties.
    Last edited by Heavens1; 01-15-17 at 10:55 PM.
    FF22 and NightFire like this.
    01-15-17 09:32 PM
    I've also just downloaded the weather app:
    https://apkpure.com/asus-weather/com...d?from=details
    FF22 likes this.
    01-15-17 10:09 PM
    I've also just downloaded the weather app:
    https://apkpure.com/asus-weather/com...d?from=details
    I do use their File Manager and I think some other app might be theirs, although they are not labeled as Asus generally.

What's wrong with the Native or default Flashlight? It is simple and is available with the two finger swipe-down. I tend to use it in poorly light restaurants and at the opera!
    anon(3641385) likes this.
    01-15-17 10:50 PM
    F2, i should have said 'clock' and calculator in my original post, and i've now edited it.

You're quite right, the native flashlight is great, and for some reason i thought that i'd somehow got the downloaded zenui flashlight into that pull down box!! (Yeah, hilarious how my mind works at times!!! )
    FF22 likes this.
    01-15-17 10:59 PM
    I use a number of ASUS apps myself. Yes, they have a nice suite of software.

Posted via CB10
    01-15-17 11:25 PM
    Okay, well i think the calculator is the best of the bunch. It does unit and currency conversions as well, and is well laid out.

The weather app is accuweather, and is not customisable. Instead when you press on different aspects of the weather screen you get taken to the accuweather ad driven site. But hey, it gives me wind direction and speed which most of the weather apps don't for me.

The clock is a bit better than the google one, and at least with zenui you can choose your own alarms easily.

The file manager is functional, no frills and efficient. (As many have commented)

I like the flashlight, it has a pulse feature as well. (And i have it as one of my 4 bottom fixed apps (can't think what you call those apps that sit at the bottom of every screen).

Edit
    I've just realised how good the asus weather app is, lol. You swipe down and there are a number of other info screens - excellent!
    Last edited by Heavens1; 01-16-17 at 02:36 AM.
    01-15-17 11:47 PM
    I do use their File Manager and I think some other app might be theirs, although they are not labeled as Asus generally.

What's wrong with the Native or default Flashlight? It is simple and is available with the two finger swipe-down. I tend to use it in poorly light restaurants and at the opera!
    Not to mention you can add a shortcut of the flash light to your home screen, to save a second or two of having to swipe down...
    FF22 likes this.
    01-16-17 06:00 AM
    Extraordinary! My priv, received new 5 Jan, is now powered by BB, google and Asus!

Why, because the bulk of the software is powered by BB and Google, but the third most populated software supplier on my device is Asus. I've got the Asus ZenUI family Tools installed: File Manager, Calculator, Clock and Flashlight. And what fabulous apps these are! From my scant use and settings so far, they readily equal anything that BB would supply, and potentially best BB!

Neither the Calculator nor the clock is able to be downloaded from the Playstore, so I've used the respective apk's. (And I've never downloaded an apk before, even though I've owned a BB since 2008).

In fact I've never thought about buying any other product than a BB, but now I've seen the quality of the zenui stuff I've been perusing the asus range. By not providing these basic features BB has introduced me to another phone provider's software ..... that's not right BB ..... get your act together on this basic stuff! (And yes, I'm sticking with buying only bb phones)

Here are the urls:
    https://www.androiddrawer.com/30230/...idget-app-apk/
    ASUS Calculator 1.5.0.95_161014 beta APK Download by ASUS - APKMirror

I might add that neither neither app requires access to anything on the phone, although I gave the clock permission to look at music so that my fav alarms could be used.

Please note, the playstore doesn't permit BB phones installation of the zenui clock or calculator.

Edit
    Malwarebytes did an auto check on both apps as they donwloaded and confirmed there were no nasties.
    That's strange. Ages ago I downloaded the Asus ZenUi calculator from the app store - as it was the closest I could find to the BB10 type. Its still on my Priv, but it no longer appears in My Apps in Play store - and obviously a search yields no results.

Any idea why it's now blocked for BlackBerry phones?
    01-16-17 06:04 AM
    That's strange. Ages ago I downloaded the Asus ZenUi calculator from the app store - as it was the closest I could find to the BB10 type. Its still on my Priv, but it no longer appears in My Apps in Play store - and obviously a search yields no results.

Any idea why it's now blocked for BlackBerry phones?
    Bingo. That is the other Asus app that I have - their Calculator. And I'm fairly certain I got it from the app store a while back when looking for Calcs with conversion mode.
    01-16-17 08:13 AM
    I found another calculator in the play store as the default one does not appear to have conversions built into the interface (or at least I have not been able to make that work somehow). It is certainly useful to have the options as other apps like file managers etc recommended here have worked out better than those loaded on purchase.
    01-16-17 09:04 AM
    Bingo. That is the other Asus app that I have - their Calculator. And I'm fairly certain I got it from the app store a while back when looking for Calcs with conversion mode.
    Good thing you found that calculator. When you get to be your age, you run out of fingers and toes when you try to convert years into months.
    FF22 and Wezard like this.
    01-16-17 02:34 PM
    Good thing you found that calculator. When you get to be your age, you run out of fingers and toes when you try to convert years into months.
    No problem. I'm moving to Canada or the EU so that metric, multiples of TEN work!!!!
    01-16-17 03:12 PM

F2, having compared the two flahslights/torch light (roses by any other name! ), I can say that I'm pleased to have both the bb and the zenui.

The bb isn't as strong, and now I can understand how you might use it in a theatre, say, whereas the zenui is a lot more powerful.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Re the calculators, the zenui only has the standard add, divide etc features, but the stock google has the varied sicentific features and no unit converter or currency exchange, so again they are complimentary and i'm keeping both installed.
    FF22 likes this.
    01-16-17 07:08 PM
    No problem. I'm moving to Canada or the EU so that metric, multiples of TEN work!!!!
    Or if you really want a change, come to Aus or NZ, you'll find that you'll calculate years off your life .....
    FF22 likes this.
    01-16-17 07:11 PM
    Or if you really want a change, come to Aus or NZ, you'll find that you'll calculate years off your life .....
    I would love to hit either Country. I hope I can do local "walk-abouts" soon enough, again.
    01-16-17 08:46 PM
    If you want a calculator as powerful as your flashlight, try this.
    01-16-17 11:51 PM
    If you want a calculator as powerful as your flashlight, try this.
    Wow!! Thank you for sharing this app .... What a fantastic feat to present all that comparative info in that simple fashion.
    01-17-17 12:03 AM
    I just tried the zenui phone + contacts app, and the look and feel is great. But i've uninstalled it because i'm just a bit wary of not being able to customise the settings, like date presentation and other stuff.

I really hope that bb is going to make a phone app or overlay.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d....asus.contacts
    01-17-17 12:07 AM
    The Asus calculator is removed.

I don't see it on my LG tablet or my PRIV.

I used it have it, but wiped my phone on New Years and haven't had the app since.
    01-17-17 08:49 AM
    The Asus calculator is removed.

I don't see it on my LG tablet or my PRIV.

I used it have it, but wiped my phone on New Years and haven't had the app since.
    I guess I still have it:

Priv, powered by BB, Google and Asus-screenshot_20170117-080031.jpg
    01-17-17 10:07 AM
    The ASUS ZenUI calculator is great. It has a slick "normal" vs metric units of measurement conversion feature as good or better than BB 10, but also has a feature that captures, stores in "history" , and can regurgitate every step and number you enter for calculations previously made.

Very easy to verify your steps and data entries were correctly made or not. This saves me and my fat thumbs a lot of time in finding and correcting keypunch errors.
    FF22 and anon(3641385) like this.
    01-17-17 10:11 AM
    That flashlight shortcut has come in very handy.

Additionally, the ring and media volume mute shortcuts are much quicker for me than fiddling around with the fubar sound notifications process.
    FF22 likes this.
    01-17-17 10:20 AM
    I guess I still have it:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_20170117-080031.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	53.1 KB 
ID:	415980
    make sure you don't delete it! Otherwise you won't be able to download it again. I may have to resort to getting the apk from the Nexus 9 tab.
    FF22 likes this.
    01-20-17 08:32 AM
    make sure you don't delete it! Otherwise you won't be able to download it again. I may have to resort to getting the apk from the Nexus 9 tab.
    I have to remember to backup my apk files. I have not done it in quite a while.
    01-20-17 08:40 AM
    I have to remember to backup my apk files. I have not done it in quite a while.
    What backup app do you use?
    01-20-17 10:04 AM
48 12