Hey guys, just upgraded from my Passport to the Priv and have a question about the pkb keys.

Most of the keys are quite clicky, but some do feel a bit more softer/less clicky or shallow. Affected keys are e,r,t,y,u,i. Strangely it's only this top row.

Anyone else notice this? Is this a common issue? Shouldn't every key feel the same? I love the device and don't want to have to exchange and risk receiving a lemon or refurbished model.

Posted via my Priv
    10-01-16 12:05 PM
    I believe that is normal. It's the awesome build quality hahahaha

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    10-01-16 12:55 PM
    Not really. The overwhelming majority of my keys bear the same feeling and clicky-ness.
    10-01-16 01:40 PM
    The middle two rows are also the most "clickiest" ones on my STV100-4.
    10-01-16 04:56 PM
    Just got my Priv the other week. Been exclusively using the vkb, so this thread unsettled me. Glad to report that all the keys on my Priv have the same identical tactile feel. Luck of the draw?

10-01-16 07:37 PM
    Keyboard on the priv is far inferior to that of the passport. Will take a long time getting used to and you may never, unfortunately. I find I never use it.

10-01-16 10:02 PM
    Undoubtedly. I consider the pkb as just a bonus now because the blackberry vkb is just too good.

10-01-16 10:39 PM
    Keyboard on the priv is far inferior to that of the passport. Will take a long time getting used to and you may never, unfortunately. I find I never use it.

I'm fine with that, but this keyboard just feels off. I called shopbb and initiated a refund. I bought another priv so I'll report back when I receive it.

Posted via my Priv
    10-01-16 10:57 PM
    The physical kb on the priv was the instant turn off for me. Sincerely hope for the future devices not made by blackberry anymore will have a good build quality.
    andy957 likes this.
    10-01-16 11:31 PM
    The size of the pkb was an adjustment from my Q10--which was much worse coming from a 9700. Don't make me focus too much on squishy keys and whatnot, I barely have my OCD under control! ☺

Sorry if my response doesn't sound too serious, but it is. But really, what halfway decent offering is there beyond BlackBerry? Just saying...

I am always open to new offerings. If you ain't green, you ain't growing!

Posted via CB10
    andy957 likes this.
    10-02-16 02:44 AM
    I switched from a Classic and before that it was a Bold 9780 so the PKB is the one keypad I can work with but I haven't noticed any difference with the keys all type and feel the same BlackBerry puts a lot into these keypads they are not going to release a BlackBerry were the PKB is not at its best.

10-02-16 07:21 AM
    I switched from a Classic and before that it was a Bold 9780 so the PKB is the one keypad I can work with but I haven't noticed any difference with the keys all type and feel the same BlackBerry puts a lot into these keypads they are not going to release a BlackBerry were the PKB is not at its best.

Though the consensus on CrackBerry is that the Priv's PKB isn't up to par, even amongst Priv fans.

Posted via CB10
    andy957 likes this.
    10-02-16 07:48 AM
    Though the consensus on CrackBerry is that the Priv's PKB isn't up to par, even amongst Priv fans.
    I thought the consensus was it was only subpar compared to the Passport.

All my keys are the same - but I have one of the first, so no key click at all, you can feel them 'bottom out', which didn't take long to get used to.
    10-02-16 09:13 AM
    I had a few keys that weren't clicky on mine. Most notably the space bar which led to adding a lot of periods because I would double tap it thinking I didn't press it the first time. Definitely was subpar compared to my Q10. I think it's because the keyboard back was so shallow due to the slider nature. I expect the mercury will have a better keyboard up to the standards of previous BlackBerry pkb phones.

Posted via CB10 from AT&T Q10
    10-02-16 01:09 PM
    I thought the consensus was it was only subpar compared to the Passport.

All my keys are the same - but I have one of the first, so no key click at all, you can feel them 'bottom out', which didn't take long to get used to.
    I find the Q10 and Classic to be much much better keyboards than the Priv. Heck, the Q5 might have the clickiest and most satisfying keyboard available.

I rank the Q10 just behind the Passport, though I prefer a 4-row keyboard. The Priv's PKB is mushy mush, very shallow.
    10-03-16 06:01 AM
    Only key I don't particularly like is the spacebar. The it has the reverse profile on it and just doesn't have the same feel when using so tend to miss type on this key the most.

Rest of the keyboard is pretty good. Not at same level as the Passport but still good in my opinion!

10-03-16 06:46 AM
    I find the Q10 and Classic to be much much better keyboards than the Priv. Heck, the Q5 might have the clickiest and most satisfying keyboard available.

I rank the Q10 just behind the Passport, though I prefer a 4-row keyboard. The Priv's PKB is mushy mush, very shallow.
    Q10 is great, Q5 is brilliant, but I have to say the ultimate physical keyboard experience I've ever had was the Bold 9900/9930.

I just got a Passport SE and the keys are satisfyingly clicky, but the 3-row+virtual combo is much less efficient for me, as I prefer not to interrupt my typing flow with swiping or flicking and type out each and every word in its entirety.

Posted from my Q10 via CB10
    deadcowboy likes this.
    10-03-16 06:56 AM
    People's views of the pkb is different strokes for different folks. I happen to like the Priv's physical keyboard. Yes, it is smaller than the Passport's; but what phone's isn't?

It takes a little getting used to it, but it doesn't take very long. I use it most of the time even though I am also proficient on the vkb (also a former Z10 owner).

The keyboard will loosen up and become smoother with use.
    FF22 and Sigewif like this.
    10-03-16 07:25 AM
    People's views of the pkb is different strokes for different folks. I happen to like the Priv's physical keyboard. Yes, it is smaller than the Passport's; but what phone's isn't?

It takes a little getting used to it, but it doesn't take very long. I use it most of the time even though I am also proficient on the vkb (also a former Z10 owner).

The keyboard will loosen up and become smoother with use.
    It seems the tactile response of the keys are the bigger issue rather than the size of the keyboard. I didn't have too many issues with the layout vs my Q10 after a few days. But the lack of tactile response on a few keys was tough to handle. Had the same issue with the att pp I tried out too...mainly the spacebar on that one also.

It's down to the mercury or priv for me now. I'll try out the mercury and if I don't like it, I will order another priv and stick with it.

Posted via CB10 from AT&T Q10
    10-03-16 11:44 PM
    Tactile response for me is very good and consistent on the Priv. I don't feel a difference between any of the keys. I can tell when I have or have depressed the key button enough to get the job done. The same was true on the Passport.
    10-04-16 06:54 AM
    I got my Priv two weeks ago. Coming from two Q10 units over the last two years and a 9900 prior. I feel that the Q10 pkb is better than that of the 9900. Took a few days to acclimate to the Priv pkb. My typing speed consequently took a hit. The upside however is that the Priv vkb is so good that I ended up using it most of the time. I still use my newer Q10 as a secondary phone. I'd rate the Priv pkb as 90% that of the Q10.

Posted via CB10
    anon(6038817) likes this.
    10-05-16 09:39 AM
    well it is still better than the keypad on the torch series I did not like those and if we are really going to rank the Priv's keyboard put it up against the Torch it was a slider to and the keypads have to be hidden when the is closed

10-05-16 09:55 AM
    I quickly got used to the Torch's keyboards and was able to type quickly and accurately on them.

It took me a little longer to get used to the Priv's because I came to it from the Monster Passport's keyboard. But now I can rock and roll on it quite easily. There is only one mistake I repeat: I have a tendency to miss the 'a' key and hit the 'alt' key. Makes for some interesting messages sometimes.
    10-05-16 11:08 AM
    Well true Torch series the had a nice keyboard but for me I got used to the Priv's keypad in like the first day and I have only had the phone a week. The virtual keyboard is a different story I have never liked typing on a touch screen but I have gotten used to it in I the last few days mainly cause BlackBerry keyboard always beats IOS keyboard or Google KB but I have always preferred the PKB but the Priv's PKB sadly can't beat the classic Q10 bold series curve series or Porsche but I can put it in a contest against the Passport I mean the Keypad was great but I did not like how it was 3 rows instead of 4 In all the Priv keyboard just clicked with me (i typed this message on the on the Priv's PKB)

10-05-16 11:39 AM
    Well said, Lincoln. Well said.
    10-05-16 01:51 PM
41 12